Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,844 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria (16118 Views)

HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by dyabman(m): 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
@solar

about their feelings , who cares!

Glad Dstv is back . . . EPL soaps is back at it best!
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by temmytanny(m): 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
Mr. tony shouldnt give up. I believe he can stil get it back
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Genuflect(m): 2:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
dyabman:

@solar

about their feelings , who cares!

Glad Dstv is back . . . EPL soaps is back at it best!
Lmaooo. That's so mean
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 2:17pm On Jul 23, 2010
OMO IBO:

If HITV wants to retain it's Nigeria viewership, it should broker some deal with DSTV. This is what Virgin media and some other smaller cable companies are doing are doing in the UK.
lets see how they wanna swim outta this

im available for consultations grin grin
for a fee of course
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 2:19pm On Jul 23, 2010
and to all those who never run a barber shop wey dey jam talk for here

when u set up ur coy and ur major competitor is a multi national, come back and tell us the experience

we shall be here waiting for ur success stories

LOL
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 2:22pm On Jul 23, 2010
i prefer DSTV to HITV. In terms of repeating soccer match. HITV does it best. Not to talk about home movie. YOu can watch a particular home video 7times b4 the close of the week. No program display. Too backward
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 2:30pm On Jul 23, 2010
sley4life:

i prefer DSTV to HITV. In terms of repeating soccer match. HITV does it best. Not to talk about home movie. YOu can watch a particular home video 7times b4 the close of the week. No program display. Too backward
lmao
but honestly, HiTV no try at all forall the rubbish they dished out

nearly broke ma tv one day in annoyance
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by kay4fun(m): 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ya, this a good news. I may not like foreign company taking over our bussiness, Nigerian bussines should more proactive. You see, HITV were showing EPL with good quality screen but all other programme were of poor quality.
They should using the EPL to drive more traffic to themselves while getting the attention of sport fan. Do you realised that despite DSTV not showing EPL they were still sell better than HITV. Quality and variety progamming.
Let me see how u survive this challenge.
Win or Lose , It is good game for the customers.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by oyesema: 2:44pm On Jul 23, 2010
Consequence of Vision less leadership in a potentially great Nation, its a chain reaction, I hope the we will wake up from our slumber one day.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2010
This is sad.
Its true Hitv lacked greatly in content and charged highly but the truth is Nigeria is a very tough place to do business.
I just wish they had adopted other business idelogies than clamping down on viewing centres and unreasonably increasing their subsciption fee.
Sometimes quantity makes the difference.

If their subsciption fee was affordable by most Nigerians, they would have had a large following and made more sales. Its better for 5 million people to pay a subscription fee of N2000 to watch EPL plus other channels on their platform than for just 500,000 people to pay N6000.
They would have made more money and earned the loyalty of Nigerians and in the event of losing the EPL rights people wouldn't be so quick to dump their decoders nor be laughing gleefully at them now.
Knowing that they lacked content and that the EPL was their main strenght, they should have made it work for them rather than against them.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by ricky01: 3:02pm On Jul 23, 2010
yes, thumps up, am tried of this hitv people with their nonsense,
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by maxtop(m): 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
I will rather wait b4 i subscribe, bhur it is a welcome idea sha.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by DisGuy: 3:09pm On Jul 23, 2010
do Nigerian entrepreneurs ever merge to take on big business?

Daarsat and many other mushroom DTH can merge with HitV then play the typical sentimental card Nigerian companies play when they get shown up for being incompetent with all Harvard certificate under their belt
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2010
well its about bloody time angry
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by slyDdean(m): 3:19pm On Jul 23, 2010
B4 u knw it startv go buy right for one year and turn it to government poultry farm
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by buzugee(m): 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2010
*yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn* the real question here is which of these companys covers NBA games ? now thats what am talking about. do they cover NBA basketball games in nigeria ? i wanna see what miami heat is going to do with wade, bosh and lebron. now thats a sight to see
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by shagmus(m): 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2010
Oh God, this is bad, real bad. Do u know the repercussions of this. Just think of the thousands that could have been employed directly or indirectly. I weep for nigerian businesses. Oh HiTv, Oh HiTv cry cry
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Solar74: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2010
In 3 yrs HiTV has done what Glo did to GSM in Nigeria. We need to encourage local entrepreneurship, in other climes govt policies protect their local industries. Ghana has followed suit and Nigeria needs to encourage it too. Capital flight by DSTV, MTN etc is killing our economy. MTN and DSTV cannot try what they do here in SA. HiTV is a 100% local brand exportable to the world. It is said that Nigerians cannot biuld world class organizations. THIS IS NOR TRUE and we need to provide HiTV the opportunity to grow. This affront by EPLS/DSTV/Super sport MUST BE STOPPED. The Federal Govt must STOP it in national interest. HITV employs hundred of Nigerians. The average age of the staff is 28yrs. They are all Nigerians that deserve our support. It is on record that no Nigerian Paytv has achieved what HITV has done. They broke the class barrier adn made paytv affordable to Nigerians. We need to STOP this exploitaion by SA firms. haba !
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Solar74: 3:30pm On Jul 23, 2010
As at today HiTV has 250+ employees, multi-million $ broadcast center in Lagos, invested in Tinapa, nigezie, hinolly. Over 300 dealers and distributors. All of these will be affected by this reversal. HiTV is 100% owned, managed, and built by Nigerians. We need to nstart taking back our patrimony for SA.
Remember the fate of Thisday in SA?. Lucky Dube was killed because they though the was a Nigerian. PLEASE lets wise up and stand up to protect our own
The World Cup was given to DSTV and not HiTV because of National Interest. We need to ensure same is done for HiTV NOW
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Solar74: 3:36pm On Jul 23, 2010
It took DSTV 15 yrs to get to where they are today, in less than 3 yrs we expect HITV to do the same? Infrastructure, access to and cost of money are all factors we need to consider.
We need to stop this insult on our collective psyche by EPL/ Supersport/DSTV
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by buzugee(m): 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2010
and besides why are nigerians so silly ? why are they paying these companys who are charging them exorbitant rates ? in britain cable is like 40 pounds and with 40 pounds you get EVERY CHANNEL. there are some packages for 20 pounds a month too. in america i paid 80 dollars for both high speed internet and my cable package which included HBO. so why are these companys in naija charging an arm and a leg when their cost of doing business in naija is minimal ? more importantly why do you guys allow yourselves to be gouged ?
now me, when i move to naija, in my house i will have no tv. just radio, some incense, candles (nepa wont faze me) and a whole library of books in my house. my entertainment will be reading books in an incense scented, candle lit room. now thats heaven. i aint paying no cable or whatever it is yall pay out there.
yall nigerians gotta take it back to basics. i also look at car prices in nigeria and a car that costs 1000 dollars in america will be sold for like 15000 dollars in nigeria. this is outrageous. why are vultures sucking on an already impoverished people ? i find it annoying and irritating. same goes for mobile phone services etc. why do they charge africans 4 times more than they would charge americans and british people ? is it because we have no regulations in place to keep these vultures in check ?
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by suprted(m): 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2010
HiTV should have started small.  Check my old posts, I asked why anyone should pay (at the time 3500) for just football.  

Someone above said try going up against a multinational and yet over here your typical Wasim's Kebab Korner type shop does well even though there is McDonald's around the corner.  It's figuring out what works, it's offering services that the other people don't have, it's setting a price-point that allows you to be competitive and yet not bankrupt oneself.  

Had HiTV purchased a percentage of the games instead of full rights then they could have continued to grow, raised their market share slowly, raised their profit margins.  How are they expecting to break even?  to make back the 40 million a season they spent, they'd need 1 million subscribers (going on 150 naira to $1).  And that's without factoring the running costs of a business, the hardware, the staff, marketing etc etc.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Aproko(f): 3:48pm On Jul 23, 2010
@ Solar,

its a pity the air at hitv is gloomy and we are sympathetic to you guys plight, not really because we thought hitv was da bomb, but because it was Nigerian. even when you guys were showing absolute bull s***t and collecting N6k in return, people still patronized. all you guys had to do was deliver quality, which you failed to do.

go back to the drawing board and find where you failed and fix things. no nigerian bank will give u a bank guarantee of $75m, absolutely non. you bit more than you could chew, now deal with it.

i do not like multichoice, but to be fair, hitv hasnt even come close.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by temmytanny(m): 3:58pm On Jul 23, 2010
HITV HAS CONCEDED DEFEAT. THEY HAVE REMOVED THE EPL FIXTURE FROM THERE WEBSITE. WHAT A PITY
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by ajibawealt(m): 4:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
tkb417:

lmao
but honestly, HiTV no try at all forall the rubbish they dished out

nearly broke ma tv one day in annoyance

bros, I dey gbadun u, infact u're speaking the truth.

HiRubbish really bleeped up big time. As at the time they were bargaining for EPL right, I fink they should have split the right into two with DSTV, then looks inward and really improve on there content. But all they did was to focus only on EPL with several repetition of matches. I'm sure if they'd done that, they would have had a lot of loyal customers. They had exclusive right to themselves then nobody complained, now that the ball is in DSTV's court we are now clamouring for change in the rules. That's not fair!

I fink the way forward is for them to try and struck a deal with DSTV for some of the matches, improve there content, stop the repetition of movies (it really sucked) and also look into the direction of something new, may be the broadcasting of basketball games.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by duduspace(m): 4:15pm On Jul 23, 2010
This scenario is not uncommon, upstart arises and thumbs its nose at an incumbent operator, enjoys some initial success but ultimately fails because the incumbent has too much of a financial and quality advantage. Its just the Setanta and Sky scenario replaying itself all over again. Someone made a nice suggestion which is currently being done in the UK where the likes of Tiscali (now Talktalk TV) and BT Open Vision are carrying Sky Channels to their subscriber's homes with Sky being mandated to sell those channels to them at reduced rates to what they charge their direct customers (the case is still in court though and Sky might just win it).
I think HiTV will survive, I think they have Nigezie up on Sky though I don't think its a subscription service cos I don't subscribe to it. Government intervention may be required to stop DSTV becoming a monopoly though, not to kill them but to encourage the smaller companies.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by nomoreface: 4:23pm On Jul 23, 2010
I am sooo disppointed in HITV. To think i was one of the first to buy HITV Decoder and subscribe back then because i felt why should a South African company come here and be cleaning us out and not even give us a decent customer service: they will never pick their calls, u queue for hours to pay ur subscription ,

but HITV did not even come to the party. After the matches on Saturday, u have a very useless equipment in ur house.
When HITV came i swore never to go back to DSTV, but after sometime, i had to swallow my pride and renewed my DSTV subscription. DSTV really have changed their way.

Good for them both!

So Glad i can now watch Football (EPL, La Liga, Seria A), Tennis (My beloved Tennis) for N9,500.00.
Also I have Discovery, History,C&I, Nat Geo,Nat Geo Wild ,

Good for me too

buzugee:

*yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn* the real question here is which of these companys covers NBA games ? now thats what am talking about. do they cover NBA basketball games in nigeria ? i wanna see what miami heat is going to do with wade, bosh and lebron. now thats a sight to see
Bros i feel u.
its on ESPN. Around midnights fridays mainly.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by buzugee(m): 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2010
nomoreface:

I am sooo disppointed in HITV. To think i was one of the first to buy HITV Decoder and subscribe back then because i felt why should a South African company come here and be cleaning us out and not even give us a decent customer service: they will never pick their calls, u queue for hours to pay your subscription ,

but HITV did not even come to the party. After the matches on Saturday, u have a very useless equipment in your house.
When HITV came i swore never to go back to DSTV, but after sometime, i had to swallow my pride and renewed my DSTV subscription. DSTV really have changed their way.

Good for them both!

So Glad i can now watch Football (EPL, La Liga, Seria A), Tennis (My beloved Tennis) for N9,500.00.
Also I have Discovery, History,C&I, Nat Geo,Nat Geo Wild ,

Good for me too

Bros i feel u.
its on ESPN. Around midnights fridays mainly.

ahhhh you dont say ? thats good news. so NBA can be watched in naija ? SWEEEETTTTTTTTTT grin
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 4:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
duduspace:

This scenario is not uncommon, upstart arises and thumbs its nose at an incumbent operator, enjoys some initial success but ultimately fails because the incumbent has too much of a financial and quality advantage. Its just the Setanta and Sky scenario replaying itself all over again. Someone made a nice suggestion which is currently being done in the UK where the likes of Tiscali (now Talktalk TV) and BT Open Vision are carrying Sky Channels to their subscriber's homes with Sky being mandated to sell those channels to them at reduced rates to what they charge their direct customers (the case is still in court though and Sky might just win it).
I think HiTV will survive, I think they have Nigezie up on Sky though I don't think its a subscription service cos I don't subscribe to it. Government intervention may be required to stop DSTV becoming a monopoly though, not to kill them but to encourage the smaller companies.
thank you

Govt shd help these budding companies. Its not easy abeg

I trust Ghana. Imagine Hitv struggling with a Ghanaian company for tv rights?
Lol, theyll probably just chase Hitv away from the country
lol
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by davidif: 4:44pm On Jul 23, 2010
[size=18pt]GOOD RIDDANCE TO HiTV. THIS IS WHY I HAVE ALWAYS HATED AND WILL ALWAYS CONTINUE TO HATE PROTECTIONISM, IT SEEKS TO PROTECT MEDIOCRITY. COMPETITION IS A GOOD THING, ESPECIALLY FOR THE MARKET PLACE AND THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF CAPITALISM PEOPLE. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE WHO SAY WE SHOULD PROTECT MEDIOCRE PRODUCTS BECAUSE "THEY ARE OUR OWN" OR THAT "WE ARE NOT BEING PATRIOTIC ENOUGH" THAT IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, IF YOU CANNOT COMPETE, THEN YOU SHOULD GO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND STOP FLOODING US WITH MEDIOCRITY.

WHEN NIGERIAN BUSINESSES UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY AND LONG TERM STRATEGIC PLANNING ONLY THEN CAN THEY COMPETE WITH THE BIG BOYS.
[/size]
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by adefemi1(m): 4:49pm On Jul 23, 2010
bravo, bravo, bravo, great kudos to dstv for that this will stop hitv from illegal arrest and harrassment they have been causing to the viewing centers and hotels around the country, i believe with many companies showing the same content we end user can decied the pay network that suit us and it will also force down the market price of both commodity i wish dstv good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Manchester City (0 - 0) On 25th November 2012 / Russia Vs Wales : Euro 2016 (0 - 3) On 20th June 2016 / Manchester United Vs Southampton (0 - 0) On 12th March 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.