Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria (16111 Views)

HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by kemisuga(f): 10:21am On Jul 26, 2010
Hope there wont be network problems transmitting from DSTV now tongue, cos many TVs will be on at the same time in Nigeria grin grin grin
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by RuuDie(m): 10:27am On Jul 26, 2010
Lots of interesting, intelligent comments. . . . IMHO, important thing to note is HITV did 'emselves in! Like many have pointed out instead of building on what they had; partnering and improving quality, facility and content, they went and waged all-out war on all corners - CTL, multichoice, hotels, viewing centers - they have only themselves to blame.

its a classic case of trying to take leaps when you should be learning how to crawl.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by donbuchi1(m): 11:43am On Jul 26, 2010
I have seen NTA advert of showing matches of the big four weekly
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by sorin(m): 12:07pm On Jul 26, 2010
Because of all the shit happening in the financial sector round the world,everyone is protective of businesses in their country,but not us in Nigeria. I have read some stupid shit from some sick people on this forum,i laugh cause this situation  is not just about HITV but about a nation that is becoming a prostitute to the corporate sector of the whole world.Now i respect some direct criticism on wrong strategy,but not attacking a proudly Nigerian company that is trying create good standards.So i congratulate all the happy Nigerians that support the vuvuzela achievement. Good people ,Good nation.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by GNBohr: 1:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
I plead for your patience to read this.

My people this is business not sentiments. Why are those claiming to feel sorry for HiTv being sentimental and uneccessarily patriotic in their submission. Why wont we for once try to be reasonably objective and learn hard but true lessons from this HiTv misadventure. Afterall this is not the first business premised on a model that is highly unsustainable. In any business model you require three things to drive sustenance, these are: Vision, Competence and Discipline

You need vision to start any venture and living the vision require competence in forms of knowledge, skill, attitude, people, finance, technology and customer relationship. The discipline is what is required in management in order to continuously meet targets and surpass them, amongst all the forms of discipline, financial discipline is critical.

Considering HiTv issue, clearly they failed in what matters most and I will take you on a short route:

Toyin Subair worked for so long with DSTV and lived on their money and learnt their business and got his HiTV vision from them. At that time no one is saying South Africans are bad. At that time they were not doing capital flight. Some accussed MTN but where were your thieving billionaires when the first round of GSM licence were being offered.?

Toyin fought a good battle against monopoly in the DTH business knowing fully well that that is the meaning of buying a right. We all supported him but what did he do with the victory? He became a worst monopolist. He sold our Nigerian broadcast right to the British. How? From $4million, he forked out $36million just to force his own brand of monopoly on Nigerians. What did we get?? You all can answer to that question.

You people said he needed 15 years in order to build content just like DSTV. I tell you go and ask Glo and Adenuga how he competed with the MTN and even pushed Zain from second place. MTN had been operating almost a decade in other African countries before coming to Nigeria and started two clear years ahead of Glo. Nigerians are no patronising Glo because it is a Nigerian company but because Glos is giving us a near equal if not better alternative.

Toyin's HiTV fought all the stakeholders in the business, more depressingly other Nigerian owned DTH companies when he needed to build alliances. He with one silly move destroy all the public trust he built by harrassing his corporate customers, something his predeccessor and powerful teacher ans competitor did not and is not doing. Toying did not build a sustainable structure, his service was poorer, his content unattractive, his pricing questionable, his methods antithetic, his technology far behind. His business model too presumptious.

If Toyin had really palnned for the sustainability of his venture, he would not have experienced this. Let me tell you, you bought a right far too exorbitantly beyond what is reasonably sustainable because you wanted to prove a silly point of " I can also do it". What is the business sense in offering to buy a product hitherto sold at $4million at $36million. This is extreme madness. You only made the seller realised how poorly he has been pricing his commodity. Common economic and commercial sense will tell the seller to increase the price at the same or higher rate when next you or another buyer come asking for it.

Try and calculate the percentage increase from $4m to $36m, that is 800%. Now from $36 to $100 that he went to stupidly bid for, again outbidding DSTV, that is 177.77%. Yet he could not pay and you all are here blaming Sanusi. Toyin's HiTV could not and did not do the simple thing Sanusi is telling everybody - Risk Analysis. Simple. GT Bank did not get the guarantee just like their name suggests, may be simply because they did their own Risk Analysis. Did Sanusi tell Toyin to go and claim what he is not.

You people talk about pricing, what did you expect when somebody bought a commodity for $36m instead of $4m, for him to resell such non-deteriorating product he will have to add his profit margin, logistic costs and all other value added costs. So when your honourable Subair jerked his subscription from 3,500 naira to 6,000 naira, you now know why. He was even considerate because the increment is merely 71.43%. Just for one product when his competitor(s) have sundry products.

If DSTV decides to increase subscription from the present 9,500 naira, please know where to lay your blame. Calculate this, from $4m to $100m is 2,400%. That is the price DSTV has to pay to reclaim their mandate. The business of DTH was introduced and developed by DSTV in Nigeria. They know their turf. All other talk is just cheap blackmail. Hundreds Nigerians work directly for DSTV and Toyin Subair is one of their products and former employee. Thousands of Nigerians still work indirectly with and for DSTV.

Toyin needs some basic lessons in business and because he was in a foolish hurry, he failed to learn them and is paying for it by learning the hard way. Toyin is a Yoruba man and his people always say that it he who has money that owns business, they also say that it is money that is used in producing money.

Let him start all over again, it is not too late. He may decide to consult Adenuga for some hard lessons in falling and rising up again, a la CIL and Glo.

I have had my say, for those who wants to whip up sentiments and patriotism, I wish all the best. But remember in the business of making money, there is nothing like sentiments and patriotism. Good luck to you all.

Sorry for any grammatical error and misspellings, I wrote this in a hurry.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Chongaiman: 1:50pm On Jul 26, 2010
There we go again! When I got fed up with the inadequacies of FTA (there's no such thing as a free meal), I learned from the majority in this forum to go with DSTV rather than HiTV (then in its hey days). Not a everyone is an avid football fan & therein lies the secret of DSTV's success. Agreed that the coming of HiTV made DSTV to diversify its subscribing to include compact, family etc. Other than that, the customer is king! Why should I be more patriotic than a govt which has sold its very soul and that of the country to foreign interests?  Just imagine our legislooters turning the NASS into a WWE arena for mundane reasons! Is it a wonder that goods and services are relatively more expensive in 9ja considering the harsh business environment - epileptic power, death traps called roads, general insecurity (kidnappings, robbery and boko haram etc) etc? It is obvious that high production and transportation costs will result in high costs of goods and services. A house divided against itself (as seen in North vs South and Christians vs Muslims posts )would not stand. When a region tried to secede, it was not allowed at the price of war so no groups or peoples should even begin to contemplate such an action. We WOULD either all remain/perish (tufia!) in this quagmire we promoted actively or passively, or start taking ACTIONS to correct the DESPONDENCY, SELF DECEIT and TOMFOOLERY that have come to characterise our national life.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by cripplswag(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2010
[[/b]color=Black][[/color]Dis is not Microeconomics class. . . .

Now, I have a question for you. . . . . HiTV or DSTV, which has better programs? Grin

From watching HiTv in UK, nothings happening on that channel except for Ay Show which is shabbily produced.

As for Supersports, I always love watching that channel whenever Im in Africa. Their coverage of sport is better than any yeye Sky Sports we have in Europe, not to talk of HiTV.

Ibime,

Take d 'pain' of going thru my post and you would see i didnt justify HiTV one bit. Yeah, HiTV is no match for DSTV and can't actually believe some peeps can take dis 'nationalism' shits to such great heights! EPL or no EPL, there should be no comparism.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by nuladinho(m): 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2010
because they had the epl they think they have arrived, started harrasing view centrs who form about 60percent of their customers, now epl is back on dstv, good riddance to hitv, good riddance to the nigerian mentality of not caring about customers as long money is flowing. dsvt neva ask 4 any extra charges except for subscription fee. dstv gives you insurance on your decoders but hitv will ask to buy decoders if your decoders develops problems grin
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by marketplace(m): 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2010
Its good that DSTV is back
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2010
Hope DSTV mobile price no go go up now, may i go buy my own oooooooooo
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by DisGuy: 6:56pm On Jul 26, 2010
don buchi:

I have seen NTA advert of showing matches of the big four weekly

Yup, they will be showing the Eyinmba, Pillars, Afonja Warriors and Sunshine Games weekly- but don't count on it as a nigerian company they will come up with excuses as usual

PS do you know that Supersport showed more Nigerian League games last season than NTA
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by 14(m): 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
I am surprised about all this. It seems people are complaining about the EPL like its their own league. STOP supporting foreign leagues. Here in South Africa, people were angry with DSTV's Supersport when they bought the rights for the Local leagues for $300 million dollars and left the public broadcaster crying foul. Now DSTV's Supersport has the control of South African league PSL. They show more games than the SABC Sport. But the competition is feast between the two. SABC Sport has the rights for the National Team's games. And they make sure they shut the door for DSTV during their couverage of national Teams games.

EPL is not big here, people here tend to support local leageu, actually the viewership of local soccer is by far more than EPL. People dont really care about the English Premier League. If there is EPL game and PSL game at the same time, people would watch PSL than EPL.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by vescucci(m): 12:47am On Jul 27, 2010
About time. Now HiTv can find something else to make their cable appealing other than sit on their holes with the rights to the EPL showings.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by dyabman(m): 8:30am On Jul 27, 2010
from the beginning when i heard there is a dish channel called HITV i was like thats cool . .

when i heard again they will be showing premiership to Nigerians , i was like WTF! shocked

I can't just imagine myself buying that dish for a thousand naira , i mean its insane! shocked grin
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2010
hmmmn, first please let all these boys that own viewing centers stop spouting vile trash and whipping up sentiments against the coy.

were it not for nigeria and piracy issues, how can you buy a decoder and arrange chairs and start collecting money to show programmes? the galling part is they will be talking as if they have a right to so do and HITV was one big bad monster. ITS PURE PIRACY!!! u cannot even show a movie without licensing, much less live football. pubs that show football publicly in saner climes do not subscribe to the same bouquets as home users and definitely need to get a license. in fact its a major marketing point for business owners abroad, havine live sports on TV and its NOT CHEAP!!

some twats came to my office just last week and were asking us to find a way for them to cage HITV and enable them show the footie FOC. imagine o!!! and when we gave them a bill to tactically discourage them, the mumu's beat a fast retreat. maybe they were also thinking legal services are also 6K a month!!

besides did u realise that b4 hitv rights were below 5 million$ and dstv was charging a princely sum for it. HITV thinking like a true foolish nigerian coy went and paid massively over the value for the rights over 30million $!!!!!! that opened The FA eyes to the african mumu's value, pronto they split the rights into a country by country model and the DSTV new winning bid was 100$ plus shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

im can bet my bottom dollar, DSTV are gonna restructure their packages and all u celebrants sould be prepared to pay over 12- 15 k for full bouquet. the Nollywood women may end up around 6K too, afterall HITV was collecting 6k for HI nolly alone grin grin grin

and for these mumu view centers, be not decieved, if before DSTV was looking in peace and allowing the widespread piracy for free, now they wont. 3 million $ and 100 million $ no be the same range, and more importantly HITV has opened their eyes to the reality that they can and ought to chase u rats into the sewers!!!.

the fun has just begun!! hmmn abeg, make these fibrewetin cables start work properly o, all i need is a sensible ISP with unltd bandwith sensibly priced. along with my gen and lapie, ALL the footie is at my front to devor and even record sef!! hmmn hmmn

i wonder why everyone keeps missing the point that however it pans out, the consumers are the losers!!, yet some dey happy they jump for joy!!!
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by mybetop: 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2010
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by marvelck: 4:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
The reasons Hitv lost the rights to showcase Premiership matches to DSTV is not far fetched. Dstv was able to nick the deal due to the superlative coverage of the FIFA 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Just check out the way Supersport covered all the matches at the World cup. Tell me, who wont want to do business with them. Hitv should just go back to the drawing board to restrategies and come out with better ways and interesting content to retain, win back their subscribers and also lure more subcribers to their side. It's a competitive world,
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by marvelck: 4:46pm On Jul 27, 2010
The reasons Hitv lost the rights to showcase premiership matcehs to DSTV, is not far fetched. Dstv was able to nick the deal due to the superlative coverage of the FIFA 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Just check out the way Supersport covered all the matches at the world cup. Tell me, who wont want to do business with them. Hitv should just go back to the drawing board to restrategies and improve on their content and think of better ways of retaining their subscribers, winning back old customers and luring new ones to their side as well. The world is competitive.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by slimnike(m): 5:41pm On Jul 27, 2010
Good for them, they should go and get rights for the Principal's Cup (atleast that should be free). I'm happy for DSTV, but hope nothing is going to happen to My Darling C.T.L.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by phizman(m): 12:19am On Jul 28, 2010
@slimnike,
dat reminds me, who knows if CTL can strike a deal with DSTV or even wangle show matches FOC
I currently have CTL & HiTV and intend purchasing DSTV real soon because of d EPL, I don't know if to sell the CTL along with the HiTV which is definitely going out for sale. because i no wan make mistake oooh!!! if CTL fit tap, then there might be no need for d expensive DSTV subscription,
I'M REALLY CONFUSED!!! PLEASE ADVISE,
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by mygee33(m): 10:23am On Jul 28, 2010
phizman:

@slimnike,
dat reminds me, who knows if CTL can strike a deal with DSTV or even wangle show matches FOC
I currently have CTL & HiTV and intend purchasing DSTV real soon because of d EPL, I don't know if to sell the CTL along with the HiTV which is definitely going out for sale. because i no wan make mistake oooh!!! if CTL fit tap, then there might be no need for d expensive DSTV subscription,

CTL will find a way to show the EPL. DSTV will not be at war with them like HiTv did. I sold my HiTv last year for viewing centers and CTL. I think I enjoyed more of that than any other combination even though I was thinking of buying DSTV.

4llerbuntu:

DSTV are gonna restructure their packages and all u celebrants sould be prepared to pay over 12- 15 k for full bouquet. the Nollywood women may end up around 6K too, afterall HITV was collecting 6k for HI nolly alone grin grin grin

and for these mumu view centers, be not decieved, if before DSTV was looking in peace and allowing the widespread piracy for free, now they wont. 3 million $ and 100 million $ no be the same range, and more importantly HITV has opened their eyes to the reality that they can and ought to chase u rats into the sewers!!!.

DSTV will not be looking for subscribers as did HiTv, calling people and begging them to recharge, using NCC as police dog on viewing centers. they already ve got a strong customer base. Now that they ve got EPL (again), they ll get better and bettere.
As for pricing, lets keep our fingers crossed.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by soloqy: 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2010
phizman:

@slimnike,

I have a strong feeling CTL will work something out with DSTV. They have always done that.

In the east(Enugu), CTL used to offer CNN,Cartoon Network, Hallmark, etc. All DSTV licensed channels. And it was open and blatantly done so I dont think they were stealing it.
Re: The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria by Gizer: 9:25pm On Jul 31, 2010
pls, how much can someone purchase dstv, and what will u do to get 3 months free subscriptions, and about hitv,,, can u get 3 months subscriptions too after buying new ones,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Russia Vs Wales : Euro 2016 (0 - 3) On 20th June 2016 / Manchester United Vs Southampton (0 - 0) On 12th March 2023 / Arsenal Vs Lens UCL (6 - 0) On 29th November 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.