Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. (9079 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / The Dangers Of Buying Phones Made For China, India And Europe / Transsion Holdings Vs Other Chinese Brands. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Cassie74: 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2018
LynnnCHI:

Why did you use dhl?Its expensive na,everyone knows that.I wanted to buy a gown and it costs around 45k and the charges was like 36k,I backed off!The gown is still sitting in my cart.Even Ems self was like 28k.

I tried ordering some lace materials and I don't think it's going to be possible to bring it in before December with the kind of billing charges by Dhl.If I had known about the nipost stuff earlier,would have made my order months ago.

If you want to order stuff online search for LaredoJohn in Technology section... he's got you covered for just shikeni money cheesy
No custom duties or any duties for that matter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 16, 2018
Cassie74:

If you want to order stuff online search for LaredoJohn in Technology section... he's got you covered for just shikeni money cheesy
No custom duties or any duties for that matter

Ok.Thanks
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Cassie74: 1:06pm On Nov 16, 2018
LynnnCHI:

Pleas how do I get order from nipost do I need to register in post office nearest to my location,I stay in Abuja.Maitama to be precise.

No you don't... Just Google your postal code and write it down with your address when buying simple... Nipost will either call or text you to come take your parcel when it gets to them

1 Like

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by flexerking(m): 1:10pm On Nov 16, 2018
Cassie74:

No you don't... Just Google your postal code and write it down with your address when buying simple... Nipost will either call or text you to come take your parcel when it gets to them
hw will get num ? pls dont mind my question oh embarassed
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Cassie74: 1:22pm On Nov 16, 2018
flexerking:
hw will get num ? pls dont mind my question oh embarassed

For instance if you are buying from AliExpress... u need to download their app first and when you're done buying and you want to check out... that's when all these come to play... You will be asked to write down your address, telephone numbers and Zip code. U need also to get your atm card ready for online purchases. Heard Ecobank is the cheapest now. Why your zip code is important is cos it redirects your parcel to the post office closest to your addy
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by dukeo(m): 1:38pm On Nov 16, 2018
sanandreas:

If it is not Xiaomi then it is not for me cheesy grin

Wait till you try something else. You'd be surprised
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by queenfav(f): 1:49pm On Nov 16, 2018
You don't really need a post office box. Simply do a Google search for postal or Zip code, for the area you reside in within your state. Eg, mine is Rumuokwurusi Port Harcourt and it's 500102.
After getting that, go on aliexpress and fill in your complete house address, they would send your items to the post office nearest to your area.Once it arrives the post office either texts or calls u. I am a diamond member of aliexpress having shopped there for years now. So it's not a big deal..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by flexerking(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2018
queenfav:
You don't really need a post office box. Simply do a Google search for postal or Zip code, for the area you reside in within your state. Eg, mine is Rumuokwurusi Port Harcourt and it's 500102.
After getting that, go on aliexpress and fill in your complete house address, they would send your items to the post office nearest to your area.Once it arrives the post office either texts or calls u. I am a diamond member of aliexpress having shopped there for years now. So it's not a big deal.. It's a good thing you didn't allow someone use you and shine because of ordinary shipping address!
thanks found this very helpfu.l hw about the tracking of package ?

1 Like

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by queenfav(f): 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2018
flexerking:
thanks found this very helpfu.l hw about the tracking of package ?
You can also track on aliexpress app.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by flexerking(m): 4:37pm On Nov 16, 2018
queenfav:
You can also track on aliexpress app.
ok thanks pls one more thing after getting a call ur package has arrived at the post office what do u need to claim it such as id ?
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by queenfav(f): 5:21pm On Nov 16, 2018
flexerking:
ok thanks pls one more thing after getting a call ur package has arrived at the post office what do u need to claim it such as id ?
some posted office staff do ask for id. In Ph, they don't.. So for the first time, you can go with an ID.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by flexerking(m): 6:11pm On Nov 16, 2018
queenfav:
some posted office staff do ask for id. In Ph, they don't.. So for the first time, you can go with an ID.
aii thanks alot
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by consumingfire: 6:41pm On Nov 16, 2018
MetroBaba1:
Dear Op, I order from aliexpress. No exorbitant fees, no extra charges, etc. Nipost or the postal office delivers to me.
To tell you more, I receive calls from the postal office, notifying me of my goods Before delivering, due to strong relationship established.

Sometimes, I tip them off to ensure safety and handling of my goods.

Don't believe craps from people if you've not experience it.

Don't spread false information with no experience to back up your claims.

Take down this post Now

It's clear that you have not been hit yet that is why you are free to speak. Just a matter of time.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by consumingfire: 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2018
jeph19:
If you can't explain what you mean by exorbitant then please stop spreading those lies
Thanks

You are charged 10percent of the cost of the item ship, 5 percent vat and 1 percent for nipost.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 16, 2018
flexerking:
Go with a valid ID cush as international passport, driver's license or national ID card.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by flexerking(m): 8:45pm On Nov 16, 2018
Mrblaster:
Go with a valid ID cush as international passport, driver's license or national ID card.
aii
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Mustiboy(m): 8:50pm On Nov 16, 2018
Mrblaster:
can someone collect an item 4 me when im nt around? a younger brother of mine nd he has no id card. what does he need to take with him? is it just the tracking no

1 Like

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 3:06am On Nov 17, 2018
Mustiboy:
can someone collect an item 4 me when im nt around? a younger brother of mine nd he has no id card. what does he need to take with him? is it just the tracking no
That will not be difficult. You can give him your ID to go pick it up.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Mustiboy(m): 6:35am On Nov 17, 2018
Mrblaster:
That will not be difficult. You can give him your ID to go pick it up.
alright, thanks. but can he take my picture with him in place of an id?
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 17, 2018
Mustiboy:
alright, thanks. but can he take my picture with him in place of an id?
no
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by holluikon(m): 2:04pm On Nov 19, 2018
Neatly used s7 edge(has airline crack at the back) plus Vr for sale at giveaway price

Contact me if interested 08160268268
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by ntyce(m): 7:26am On Nov 20, 2018
Mrblaster:
Can you explain the "exorbitant" fee from the custom? I only heard of DHL working in hands with custom to extort recipients. Though custom charge on aliexpress orders but it isn't that much. The worst is 2k. Stop spreading fake news to cause panic in people's mind.

I believe the OP, if you have had an experience in the hands of these dhl/customs/dss, you will run away from importing anything...

A friend in Australia sent me PS4 and a Samsung tab, I was called by DHL that custom and Dss had seized the goods.
My bro, I initially did agidi, showed my workplace Id, the sender also sent mails to prove it wasn't a fraudulent tranx but they customs were adamant that I had to pay duty even on used items...
I paid close to 60k before my goods were released...

What I got to understand later was that, the sender ought to indicate that the parcel was a gift and as such the duty will be waived..
.but anything that indicates a purchase will attract a duty...
That's the law.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 20, 2018
ntyce:

I believe the OP, if you have had an experience in the hands of these dhl/customs/dss, you will run away from importing anything...

A friend in Australia sent me PS4 and a Samsung tab, I was called by DHL that custom and Dss had seized the goods.
My bro, I initially did agidi, showed my workplace Id, the sender also sent mails to prove it wasn't a fraudulent tranx but they customs were adamant that I had to pay duty even on used items...
I paid close to 60k before my goods were released...

What I got to understand later was that, the sender ought to indicate that the parcel was a gift and as such the duty will be waived..
.but anything that indicates a purchase will attract a duty...
That's the law.
woow that's true though. May God help us all
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by femarse: 12:14pm On Nov 20, 2018
customs do charge duty for items but why it varied or the rational for charging I don't know , those people defending them should simply explain the process of getting your goods mark free shipping truly free

I order for an iPhone 6 from the US thru a friend who help me ship it throu american Express (the guy bought the phone and ship with his money while I paid to his Nigeria account ) when I was notify by nipost of the good availability I was stunned when I was told I had to pay 16k for custom duty, well I paid then open the package and realize the guy paid for everything both shipping fee and whatever yet they still charge me 16k

since then I have been mute on buying things online cos the total cost is now more than buying it in Nigeria
however I enjoy the product , it was solid , but what I have to pay ...
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 20, 2018
sanandreas:

They haven't but I want to get a Xiaomi as a Christmas gift for a loved one. I would halt that plan for now.

Brand New & Sealed
Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus(4GB+64GB) GLOBAL VERSION
Xiaomi Redmi 6(4GB+64GB) GLOBAL VERSION
Xiaomi MI A1(4GB+64GB) GLOBAL VERSION

Like New with full accessories
Samsung S8+
Samsung S7

All at affordable prices.

My contact/Whatsapp link is right there on my signature

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by franzis(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Simply tell the seller to stop noting Xiaomi Phone Bla Bla on the package , let them simply write phone or phone & accessories, wrap with a very good thick carton before placing into the flier.
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by queenfav(f): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2018
The op was right.. It's not worth it finally..Customs just billed me N8250 on Redmi note 5.The seller declared $40 as the value. Well, i am never ordering a phone or anything of value on aliexpress again. It makes no sense to wait for 3 weeks, then you are made to pay heavy duties on the item. It's better i buy from Jumia from henceforth. I am so pissed right now.
My advise to anyone planning to order, just save yourself the stress and buy from the nairaland guys or jumia. With customs slapping random fees on phones, it's not just worth the wait! Anyways, na life lesson.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by kripen(m): 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2018
queenfav:
The op was right.. It's not worth it finally..Customs just billed me N8250 on Redmi note 5.The seller declared $40 as the value. Well, i am never ordering a phone or anything of value on aliexpress again. It makes no sense to wait for 3 weeks, then you are made to pay heavy duties on the item. It's better i buy from Jumia from henceforth. I am so pissed right now.
My advise to anyone planning to order, just save yourself the stress and buy from the nairaland guys or jumia. With customs slapping random fees on phones, it's not just worth the wait! Anyways, na life lesson.

I have always told people, you buy anything from any online stores with no office in Nigeria you are OYO citizen. I am not desuading you not to buy but when you are confronted with issues in the hands of customs by then you will know kpuff kpuff can most times be better than bread. Nobody that does not like to buy the cheapest thing from abroad but custom duty is always there and it is compulsory because of international trade. Most of these guys are even evading the duties placed on most of these goods that's why when they are cut they pay heavily or the goods is seized completely, so I still prefer to buy from jumia because they have sorting hub in international Airport where they settle their differences and custom duties with custom. Let Aliexpress have an office in Nigeria that will not be too much for them to do because of the huge market in Nigeria and that will go along way to curb most of these bad esperiences
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by GrandMufti: 2:00pm On Nov 22, 2018
kripen:

I have always told people, you buy anything from any online stores with no office in Nigeria you are OYO citizen. I am not desuading you not to buy but when you are confronted with issues in the hands of customs by then you will know kpuff kpuff can most times be better than bread. Nobody that does not like to buy the cheapest thing from abroad but custom duty is always there and it is compulsory because of international trade. Most of these guys are even evading the duties placed on most of these goods that's why when they are cut they pay heavily or the goods is seized completely, so I still prefer to buy from jumia because they have sorting hub in international Airport where they settle their differences and custom duties with custom. Let Aliexpress have an office in Nigeria that will not be too much for them to do because of the huge market in Nigeria and that will go along way to curb most of these bad esperiences

Do they have offices in other countries?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 04, 2018
Freiden:
Hello Everyone

I do eBay checkouts @ 330/$ & I can also handle shipping of these items bought from US to your location in Nigeria.

For more enquiries: My contact is @ my signature.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by gudluckgreat(m): 3:49am On Dec 05, 2018
queenfav:

Did you ship through DHL?
Re: Stop Buying Phones From Aliexpress, Gearbest, And Other Chinese Stores. by fibonacci2526: 5:41am On Dec 05, 2018
Collins4u1:

that you don't know how to do it properly doesn't mean I don't... I'm ranked Diamond on aliexpress, if you know what that means.

Oga forget the membership level, werin comcern custom with membership level? The truth there is no guarantee you won’t pay custom fee if you decide to buy a phone via Alixpress tomorrow. Na luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Xiaomi Phones / Chinese Mobile Phone Company Tecno Explains Why It Only Does Business In Africa / Between The Zero 5 And The Phantom 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.