Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? (99629 Views)

How Much Did You Lose Trying To Return The Old Naira Notes To Banks? / Share Your Worst Business Experience / Share Your Worst Broke Moments Experiences In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Generalkorex(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2018
ishowdotgmail:

Come help me out with my restructuring sir. Your email?
mail me
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Smartlife(m): 9:12am On Nov 20, 2018
Priceless200:
My worst business loss is Alliance in Motion Global. AIM GLOBAL.. And of course PONZI.

Wasted money and time, even introduced to fam members who didn't make a penny. That's the worst part for me. Anyway, for me. Anything MLM, PONZI.. Never again. Never!!!

Someone as of this moment is trying to convince me to join AIM global......

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Sambaby7640: 9:20am On Nov 20, 2018
1Ronaldo:
.Won't really call it business sha and also, am not d business kinda person...
I already contriburlted in the other thread.
And the lost wasn't too big cos I could do without it then...
Lost 50,000 naira from my account on betting on 2 odds... Over 1.5 man u vs sevilla first leg...
Next one was losing 40k last two weeks atletico Madrid vs Dortmund (gave Dortmund 2ahead)... This one was actually a rollover kinda money so wasn't as painful as d other one...

Tried selling my lenovo laptop to a friend for 80k.. He said he was gonna pay me in a weeks time but that I should first give him d system... Baba said system was stolen. Mum n dad said I should just leave him.

Modified: how can I forget Hernandez gaisha that duped me of 125,000 thousand last two months on fixed games.
i think i can help you. Send your whatsapp contact
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by lele007: 9:34am On Nov 20, 2018
hahn:

Bait? undecided

N25000 a day how? Forgive me I am hugely scepto-ignorant. Or are you publisher of Instablog

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Onyejemechimere(m): 9:36am On Nov 20, 2018
Izabel:
was able to save 50k from a part time ushering job ,
Got robbed of it months back.

What do you intend doing with it, say I send it back?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Damdeyz(m): 9:37am On Nov 20, 2018
Ourown:
I was freelancing on fiverr for over 3 years and I saved around #3m. I invested and loss #2m to Forex trading.... I nearly run mad.

God has been faithful Sha. Adupe

Ọlọrun seun. Please what services do you offer on fiverr and if I wanted to join Fiverr today what advice what you prefer?
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Damdeyz(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2018
zicoraads:
I met this guy while I was serving. We became pretty close because we had a lot of things in common. And we were staying in the same room and finished from the same school. He told me about a business he started while in school, but due to some family issues, had to make use of the money earned and all. It sounded good, because before now, I had heard about people buying yams from Niger and Benue states and selling them off in places like the South South region at huge profits.

The fact that I was familiar with how costly and cheap yams are in these places made it seem like a very good ides to follow.

Long story short: I collected 200k from my sister and put in 300k of mine. Traveled to Niger and bought yams from a village along Lapai road. We traveled with the truck and met a guy in Effurun, whom he said was the person he always sold it to. Spent about a week in Delta state and sold everything, with the profits coming being about 200k, after expenses and whatnot. Got 300k and added to everything we had and came back to Niger to buy more.

Couldn't follow them back due to other factors that were beyond my control. Lost about 1.3 million altogether on his way back. He said he was robbed. But up till now, the news and the numbness of it never made me ask follow-up questions to the bloody pictures I saw.

I didn't quite recover from that for a long time.
Woah sorry Bro. Your loss will eventually be replenished. Please may I ask some questions?
What year did start this business? Is this business still profitable?
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by adaeze12345(f): 9:43am On Nov 20, 2018
mine was not a business mistake but the idea of sharing my earnings online on fb because of talks from people.
at the end I got me kidnapped and lost of useful time.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by yomi007k(m): 9:43am On Nov 20, 2018
grossintel:
Cryptocurrency, it's not easy holding anything right now oh, I'm still buying more crypto assets even as it's all red grin. But my Biggest loss in business was 4.2m when I bought one usless ico Mtchewwwww.

Then oil, 1.4m when I bought dpk and lost.
What's ico?
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Izabel(f): 9:45am On Nov 20, 2018
Onyejemechimere:

What do you intend doing with it, say I send it back?
its savings for school I would be a finalist by next month and would have excess expenses from fees, projects and all
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by onegig(m): 9:49am On Nov 20, 2018
ShenTeh:
Between my wife and I, lost over 12m in MMM.

Say what you like, but I have learnt my lessons.

2. My friend and I wanted to build a mini estate on a 6 full plot of land, based on speculation. Gave 2/3 the money for the purchase of the land to my friend. He was expected to add the 3rd and pay up. Kept in touch, did several trips, saw the land, secured it and had the plans drawn.

Two years later, the land was gone! Selling family told me, my friend payed for only ONE plot and never showed up with the balance. So, they have sold the land to someone else! We could come back by next week for the money we deposited!

My friend was there and sweating under a/c. Me, I couldn't breath properly. The land was already selling 3x the price we bought it 2 years ago.

We are still friends, but I am wiser.

Walahi Shenthen. You fall my hand big time.

I couldn't have thought you would invest in an HYIP. But anyways you have learnt. As for joint investment I doubt I can do that. Money can turn people to something else.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by kingcalipha(m): 9:50am On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=myk2mic post=73116641]
Can I pm u[yea]
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 20, 2018
please I need guidance on treasury bills investment,and the best bank to buy from.
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 20, 2018
hamrad:

Please can you teach and give me mentorship? if yes lets go private

thats a lot sha

plus my schedule

anyway

text ur whatsapp number and name there
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by onegig(m): 10:07am On Nov 20, 2018
Dollypizzle13:

wawuu. I'm a newbie in cryptocurrency and I learnt that you can never lose your money and that if you do you'd still gain the amount back if not double. Is that true? And have you earned your money back?

Like seriously? So money in crypto currency is made in heaven or what?

That alone should be enough for you to run Faraway from anyone telling you such tales by moonlight.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Ibrahim505(m): 10:09am On Nov 20, 2018
maiyee:
please I need guidance on treasury bills investment,and the best bank to buy from.
There is thread for Tbills here in NL. You can go and scroll down the entire postings for your benefit. Or simply download the iinvest app to start investing from your comfort zone.
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 20, 2018
Ibrahim505:

There is thread for Tbills here in NL. You can go and scroll down the entire postings for your benefit. Or simply download the iinvest app to start investing from your comfort zone.
thanks
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by egwekwe: 10:30am On Nov 20, 2018
Purplekush:

Yes you're right. I do weight loss and beauty. But then it's not much about the niche, its what you do in the niche market that counts. I have lots of friends in the health niche who don't see a dime. Have others doing 6-7 figures monthly in it too. I really don't do trainings anymore.

I need to hit my first 100m per annum before I open this my mouth and tell someone "here is how to make money online" again.

Thanks... The information is more than enough to get started
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by seegi(m): 10:31am On Nov 20, 2018
seegi:
wow. what a nice thread. am here to Learn cuz am an aspire Entpreneur(Netpreneur tn b precise). as a struggling student i do many sort of business (hustling).
but a business i always do is buying and selling of phone. but i go bankrupt recently after i buy a phone then it was stolen anoda one is buying a phone wit d hope of selling it get some cash to survive as usual but d phone get fault bynd repair. even am typing dis message with a JAVA Phone am left wit cuz i loose all my money on dat phone i still owe some people moni.

So plz i don't mind if any one can volunteer to mentor me on all dis online buz(dropshipping and co) and my major challenges on pursuing dat dream are no adequate knowledge, and i dont ave d required gadget (Phone and Laptop) i dnt mind help from any one. thanks
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by oghenerunoh(m): 10:40am On Nov 20, 2018
ibori1:

quote]swaggerguru u can add me on Facebook u will all smile few can testify on that

a topic was created abt a person begging for 2odds which I dropped 2odds for 2days and both enter for sure u can search for dt topic itself. skylane was d 1 who created d topic,search for ursef
bro pls share the link

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by JBmarz(m): 10:44am On Nov 20, 2018
nextstep:
This is a repost from one of my projects, back in 2016. I was building a 100% solar-powered hostel for students, because we wanted to show that it could be done. It was experimental, but and at one stage the problems and money lost to many factors was about 2.8M. https://www.nairaland.com/2583312/building-solar-powered-hostel-learning-experience/4#47018143

In summary, we dealt with people vandalizing and breaking buildings, wasted materials, omoniles, paying twice for land, police taking money but not doing anything, LGA people stopping work, I got a cutlass on my arm (thank God it wasn't too bad), and so much more. The most memorable that I lost money was for:

1800k - land (paying twice)
400k - police issues/security
200k - misc mistakes by personnel
150k - roofing mistakes
240k - 2nd payment to LGA (didn't get a receipt the 1st time)

So, in addition to the reasonable costs of building (which includes land, tax, youths, materials, labour, transport), the overruns caused by all our issues is about 2.8M

That 2016 I really suffered enh... my life savings gone, with no sign of relief. I could not continue anything for over 1 year, but thankfully, things are looking up, and we're building out the estate this year and next. I don't consider it a whole loss, but a temporary setback.

I also got into a mini-importation business with a reputable Nairalander... I would import small electronics for hobbyists (Arduino, circuit boards, multimeters), and they would store in their warehouse. Customers would order from my website, and they would use their logistics to send to the customer. We made a few sales, but things were slow and didn't really pick up. About N700,000 worth of materials remains in their custody, but that person is no longer returning my calls or emails. I didn't even see the money from the few sales we had, and I have to write off that loss.

On two occasions, I lent 500k each to two different ladies, one to start provisions store, and another to be selling drinks. These were honest young ladies that people could vouch for, so I did my homework. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances, they had to use their profits for personal matters (hospital, helping their mother, etc). 2 years later, I'm still waiting for the loans to be repaid. I'm still hopeful, but this is yet another loss.

To total these major investment losses: 2.8 + .7 + .5 + .5 = 4.5M shocked not counting other smaller business attempts that failed.

That last investment got me cracking up shocked shocked any money given to a woman is not considered an investment ooo. As long as u r not a bank or credit nd thrift society. Those r the organisations that can get their money back with thier complete interest.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Quorax: 10:55am On Nov 20, 2018
LoJ:

Wow.

I have never met a great entrepreneur that never made a bad investment. You must be very wise... Or very lucky.
lol, I am that kind. I only invest what I can afford to loss at first, then I increase the money gradually...

People talk about losing money to contract, I would never loss cos I don't intend to do business with government, at least not now and if I am gonna do business with them, they have to pay upfront...50-70% before we proceed such that the upfront fees will cover capital needed to execute...

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by tendareo: 11:00am On Nov 20, 2018
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by gift01: 11:02am On Nov 20, 2018
maiyee:
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Quorax: 11:04am On Nov 20, 2018
spiritedtete:
Trusting and investing in people and their businesses

Lost 1 m USD
80m naira
30m
16m ... And the least goes on and on down to even 150k.

Never will I trust anyone with my money Never not even my Father (even when I know his is a good man)

This thread just brought the anger in me.

Awon oloriburuku!!!

Chai... People like this Na why I couldn't raise money to start a lucrative biz but I didn't give up and we have started.

Take heart bro. I won't blame u for not helping.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 20, 2018
Quorax:
lol, I am that kind. I only invest what I can afford to loss at first, then I increase the money gradually...

People talk about losing money to contract, I would never loss cos I don't intend to do business with government, at least not now and if I am gonna do business with them, they have to pay upfront...50-70% before we proceed such that the upfront fees will cover capital needed to execute...

If indeed you are a great entrepreneur and never failed in any endeavors, then it's admirable and receive my congratulations.

However you seem to imply that failure is always th result of a mistake or lack of diligence. Which is untrue. The world of business is constantly changing and sometimes so unpredictable that you can do everything right and still have a failure.

Failure is not the opposite of success like people think. It is actually a huge part of it. Most great business men you can think of, failed at some point in their journey.

But like I said if you truly do business at considerable level and never failed then it's good for you and I applaud your wisdom and foreknowledge.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 20, 2018
spiritedtete:
Trusting and investing in people and their businesses

Lost 1 m USD
80m naira
30m
16m ... And the least goes on and on down to even 150k.

Never will I trust anyone with my money Never not even my Father (even when I know his is a good man)

This thread just brought the anger in me.

Awon oloriburuku!!!
How did you lose 1 million dollars?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by MarianaTrench: 11:08am On Nov 20, 2018
twlover:
Poultry Farming.

I invested approximately N12m in building a poultry for layers. Mistake I made was I buying 1 Acre of land which cost me N4M to fence, built Pen house with N3.5M,built a 5 bedroom farm house with about N3m, constructed a concrete scaffolding (with 2 standard rooms, one as store the other as Gen. House) to mount the water tanks for N1.5m

Having done all these, I struggled to get 600 layers, the rest is history.

I have put that property up for sale

Interested buyers are free to send me PM

Where is it located?

Can we see some pics please?

Are you interested in a long lease?
Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Quorax: 11:11am On Nov 20, 2018
spiritedtete:

No matter how your study.. when you do it with people you will end up regretting... My lesson so far... "Be in control"
gbam... I don't do business where I am not in control. All my business Na me dey create am...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Quorax: 11:14am On Nov 20, 2018
LoJ:

If indeed you are a great entrepreneur and never failed in any endeavors, then it's admirable and receive my congratulations.

However you seem to imply that failure is always th result of a mistake or lack of diligence. Which is untrue. The world of business is constantly changing and sometimes so unpredictable that you can do everything right and still have a failure.

Failure is not the opposite of success like people think. It is actually a huge part of it. Most great business men you can think of, failed at some point in their journey.

But like I said if you truly do business at considerable level and never failed then it's good for you and I applaud your wisdom and foreknowledge.
I understand you and I am not disputing your claims.

At least , I try to minimize losses as much as possible. That is what I do.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Quorax: 11:15am On Nov 20, 2018
sekundosekundo:
A friend begged me to allow my shipper add some of his goods in a 40ft container.....it turned out that the items they added were all country Bound,.....container seized.....me arrested.....#10.3m down the drain.

I have never been shocked in my entire life than that period.

Chai... Didn't u ask what he wants to put inside before u allowed him?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 20, 2018
[quote author=Ibrahim505 post=73134956]
There is thread for Tbills here in NL. You can go and scroll down the entire postings for your benefit. Or simply download the iinvest app to start investing from your comfort zone.[/quo
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (33) (Reply)

Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard / How To Build Enviable Income As An Email Copywriter In 2020.,, / Nigerians React To Sani Dangote Son Engagement To Malaysian Billionaire Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.