Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,901 members, 7,828,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? (681 Views)

If Marriage Were / How Comfortable Are You Dating A Guy Of So Many Sisters / Met A Lady Who Wouldn't Date Any Guy If Marriage Isn't Guaranteed After 6 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by tuoky: 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2018
I think when dating someone all the fun is taken out of it if you focus on the end goal of getting married to the person.

Hi, my name is S and I’m not a strong believer in marriage so when I’m dating a guy/girl it’s definitely not because I’m looking to get a ring from them someday.

When you decide to date someone, which includes doing the stuff you mutually enjoy together, taking decisions together, fighting and of course sexy time, it shouldn’t be only because you think you want to spend the rest of your life with them. Unlike marriage, dating should be spontaneous and fun. You sure as hell can’t marry for fun so why not date for fun.

I am still nursing a devastating heart break that has left me emotionally unavailable for what I for see to be a very long time. My last lover split because according to him I didn’t match up to his marriage standards. Like what the absolute fuckery! I wasn’t looking to marry him so my sadness wasn’t because I wanted to spend my entire life with him and he didn’t want to. I was mad as hell because I feel like he was making a mistake, heck, I know he made a mistake. I was extremely passionate about him and just couldn’t understand how he reduced what we had which was great to just marriage; yes I said reduced.

I believe that those of you who choose marriage as a life goal know it’s not exactly realistic thinking you’ll date one person and end up marrying them. You need to date a few people before eventually meeting your so-called dream girl/guy. Why? Dating is a learning process. You make mistakes and f*ck up, learn then move on. When you date someone, you learn. You discover things about a person and more importantly about yourself.

Some of the major benefits people claim to derive from marriage are companionship, emotional support, ability to raise a family, stability and of course the meeting of sexual needs but please tell me, which of these can not be met outside the boundaries of marriage?

On dating because you want a good supply of sexy time. As a young man/lady who isn’t particularly cut out for one time flings and an unnecessarily high body count, it’s very okay to be with someone for just sexy time. Call it a Friends With Benefits arrangement or whatever, though you may not admit it, some people are together just for the sexy time and it works out perfectly especially if no one is ready to make an emotional commitment.

Once upon a time, I had the perfect lover. Perfect because he had no intention of getting married (also because he was a divorcee) so we dated for a while and I was legit happy. I was happier because I knew that at no point was he going to go down on one knee and say “S, would you do me the honor of making me the happiest man in the world and being my wife”. I was already committed to doing just that without being married to him and even though it didn’t work out and I went through a short grieving period, I’d still say it could have being worse if I had expected more from the relationship. I remember reading a post here not too long ago about how if you have been with (dated) someone long enough you are basically married to the person, but some still feel need to have that societal and legal endorsement. Why? Well, I tried hard not to make this post about why or why not marriage is important but you will agree that we can’t discuss dating as a precursor to marriage and not bring this up.

On a final note, just because I believe dating shouldn’t always lead to marriage does not mean you shouldn’t take your relationships serious. Perhaps this is where I should also state that it is only logical for a relationship to progress. You start off dating, actively learning about each other and once you see both of you are compatible enough, you can proceed to a proper relationship. At that point, you are no longer dating, you are together, in a relationship. Boyfriend and girlfriend, partners if you will (for those looking for something official). At this point in the relationship, just like every other thing in life, you can have milestones. You celebrate a year of being together, 5 years, you can even celebrate having a child together. Tell me, isn’t that serious enough? Once two people have genuinely invested their feelings in such a way that they are vulnerable to being heartbroken, it is a Zeus-damn serious relationship.
Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by Ishilove: 6:16pm On Nov 20, 2018
End time advice

1 Like

Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by AryEmber(f): 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2018
You could have make it short atleast, all the long story because you no wan marry? I tire for you.

3 Likes

Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:12pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ishilove:
End time advice

Lol. I found it hard to decipher the post.
Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by Oluhills007: 7:26pm On Nov 20, 2018
To FVck cry
Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by Allaboutkatiee(f): 7:28pm On Nov 20, 2018
Epistle upon Epistle
Op your not serious yet
Smh lipsrsealed
Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by kingxsamz(m): 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
because body no be firewood.

Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by babyfaceafrica: 9:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
companionship and procreation
Re: If Marriage Isn’t The Goal, Why Are You Dating? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 20, 2018
jus tell us ur main reason of dating is to nack pingolo instead of this ur epistle of apostle paul to the corinthians

(1) (Reply)

My Nephew / Ways To Touch A Girl You Like / Obsession – Short Romantic Novel By Olu Balogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.