Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body (48237 Views)

Effects Of Alcohol On Sperm Production / No Amount Of Alcohol Use Is Safe, New Studies Finds - Bloomberg / 5 Effects Of Alcohol On The Blood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by itzprezy(m): 7:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
If we no dey drink alcohol Wetin we gain
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by onyetunge: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
1 thing must kill a man.

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Inspectorsuga22(m): 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
Story...
Me wey already done dey for where I dey knack my legend.....

3 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Adakintroy: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
Allow yourself to grow naturally and deal with life issue with your natural sense.with time like every other thing in nature your senses will grow and reach peak maturity.
Y

You don't need drugs for anyyhing. Avoid achohol.
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Olodo24: 8:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
so should I now throw my magic moment into a trash can?
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by roughneck: 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
I get one shot for my pains
One shot for my sorrows
Get messed up today
I’ll be okay tomorrow

Liquor store blues

1 Like

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by naijaboiy: 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
Men go still dey pop bottles. grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Deltatoto: 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
Adieza:
It's no secret that alcohol consumption can cause major health problems, including cirrhosis of the liver and injuries sustained in automobile accidents. But if you think liver disease and car crashes are the only health risks posed by drinking, think again: Researchers have linked alcohol consumption to more than 60 diseases.

Here are 10 conditions linked to chronic drinking.

1. Anemia

Heavy drinking can cause the number of oxygen-carrying red blood cells to be abnormally low. This condition, known as anemia, can trigger a host of symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, and lightheadedness.

2. Cancer

"Habitual drinking increases the risk of cancer," says Jurgen Rehm, PhD, chairman of the University of Toronto's department of addiction policy and a senior scientist at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, also in Toronto. Scientists believe the increased risk comes when the body converts alcohol into acetaldehyde, a potent carcinogen. Cancer sites linked to alcohol use include the mouth, pharynx (throat), larynx (voice box), esophagus, liver, breast, and colorectal region. Cancer risk rises even higher in heavy drinkers who also use tobacco.

3. Cardiovascular disease

Heavy drinking, especially bingeing, makes platelets more likely to clump together into blood clots, which can lead to heart attack or stroke. In a landmark study published in 2005, Harvard researchers found that binge drinking doubled the risk of death among people who initially survived a heart attack.

Heavy drinking can also cause cardiomyopathy, a potentially deadly condition in which the heart muscle weakens and eventually fails, as well as heart rhythm abnormalities such as atrial and ventricular fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation, in which the heart's upper chambers (atria) twitch chaotically rather than constrict rhythmically, can cause blood clots that can trigger a stroke. Ventricular fibrillation causes chaotic twitching in the heart's main pumping chambers (ventricles). It causes rapid loss of consciousness and, in the absence of immediate treatment, sudden death.

4. Seizures

Heavy drinking can cause epilepsy and can trigger seizures even in people who don't have epilepsy. It can also interfere with the action of the medications used to treat convulsions.

5. Cause Depression

It's long been known that heavy drinking often goes hand in hand with depression, but there has been debate about which came first -- the drinking or the depression. One theory is that depressed people turned to alcohol in an attempt to "self-medicate" to ease their emotional pain. But a large study from New Zealand showed that it was probably the other way around -- that is, heavy drinking led to depression.

Research has also shown that depression improves when heavy drinkers go on the wagon, Saitz says.

6. Cirrhosis

Alcohol is toxic to liver cells, and many heavy drinkers develop cirrhosis, a sometimes-lethal condition in which the liver is so heavily scarred that it is unable to function. But it's hard to predict which drinkers will develop cirrhosis. "Some people who drink huge amounts never get cirrhosis, and some who don't drink very much do get it," Saitz says. For some unknown reason, women seem to be especially vulnerable.

7. High blood pressure

Alcohol can disrupt the sympathetic nervous system, which, among other things, controls the constriction and dilation of blood vessels in response to stress, temperature, exertion, etc. Heavy drinking -- and bingeing, in particular -- can cause blood pressure to rise. Over time, this effect can become chronic. High blood pressure can lead to many other health problems, including kidney disease, heart disease, and stroke.

8. Pancreatitis

In addition to causing stomach irritation (gastritis), drinking can inflame the pancreas. Chronic pancreatitis interferes with the digestive process, causing severe abdominal pain and persistent diarrhea --and "it's not fixable," Saitz says. Some cases of chronic pancreatitis are triggered by gallstones, but up to 60% stem from alcohol consumption.

9. Increase in Sugar levels

The pancreas helps regulate your body’s insulin use and response to glucose. When your pancreas and liver aren’t functioning properly, you run the risk of experiencing low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia. A damaged pancreas may also prevent the body from producing enough insulin to utilize sugar. This can lead to hyperglycemia, or too much sugar in the blood. If your body can’t manage and balance your blood sugar levels, you may experience greater complications and side effects related to diabetes. It’s important for people with diabetes or hypoglycemia to avoid excessive amounts of alcohol.

10. Dependency

Some people who drink heavily may develop a physical and emotional dependency on alcohol. Alcohol withdrawal can be difficult and life-threatening. You often need professional help to break an alcohol addiction. As a result, many people seek medical detoxification to get sober. It’s the safest way to ensure you break the physical addiction. Depending on the risk for withdrawal symptoms, detoxification can be managed on either an outpatient or inpatient basis.

https://www.agricinfo.com/2018/11/10-effects-of-alcohol-on-body.html
a man that does not drink will die faster than a man that drinks.after facing life pressures how can we think less if not drink.i don’t care what drink does me must Dey buzzz all die na die

4 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by jeik6: 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2018
IAS16:
"Alcohol and booty calls. We used to do them as adolescents, do you recall?" - Tupac
- Life Goes on
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by opeyehmmy(m): 8:07pm On Nov 20, 2018
We will never see "EFFECTS OF DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER" OR "EFFECTS OF EATING TOO MUCH".

Op, Leave Matter for Matthias o.

1 Like

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Enemyofpeace: 8:10pm On Nov 20, 2018
TechCapon:
You forgot to mention that it brings joy to the heart of man
and make the prick very stiff

My kogi girlfriend caught me with another girl yesterday only for me to hear that she went to her village this morning. I think my life is one minute remaining

1 Like

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by tonysleek(m): 8:13pm On Nov 20, 2018
You say what?

1 Like

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by demoBaba: 8:15pm On Nov 20, 2018
With our country issues how man no go drink, first class graduate no get work, family issues, house rent and others,

Drinking dey increase life span that all.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by martineverest(m): 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2018
where is kidney failure?
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by obaataaokpaewu: 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2018
Zoharariel:

Shut up your mouth! I say shut up my mouth!

Which kain depression? Each time I download bottles of Heineken or Trophy, na that time I go come dey very happy & jolly. grin

Infact, na that time I go come dey look for ToTo - especially the one wey get bush. grin
I read this and I went up to check the moniker with the mindset that the moniker must be directly or indirectly a member of that Ashawo thread here in nairaland grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2018
Indeed.. . Story.. Alcohol makes you forget about the issue s bothering you at the moment, gives you instant joy. A best friend when needed.
Forget all this story, Alcohol is man's best friend. .SIMPLE.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by AHCB: 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2018
Of course, this is the kind of thread Seun and his mods will move to frong page.

Nonsense!!
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by mrgreen4real(m): 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2018
I guess the writer is referring to heavy drunkards. I go dey manage my two-two borrles once in a week and tilapia after stressful work.

Bear dey sweet wel-wel especially if e chill
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by neonly: 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2018
philips007:
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!
I made it...
Village people how far
Nothing can stop my shine.
I dedicate this to God almighty. One love my people.

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Hoodbilonia: 8:35pm On Nov 20, 2018
more dey ok for me just a bottle
derok bottle dey last me 1week
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Hoodbilonia: 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2018
without barbeque
beer na nonsense
mrgreen4real:
I guess the writer is referring to heavy drunkards. I go dey manage my two-two borrles once in a week and tilapia after stressful work.

Bear dey sweet wel-wel especially if e chill
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by francisMKD(m): 8:37pm On Nov 20, 2018
TechCapon:
You forgot to mention that it brings joy to the heart of man

God bless u bro...
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by asawanathegreat(m): 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2018
Give me 3 big stout there madam
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Goddyj(m): 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2018
Abeg Origin follow for Alcohol

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by TechCapon(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2018
Cholls:
my brother u no well. they're coming for you in 5...4...3...2...1
lol but it's true
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by babapressy(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2018
hope they would listen
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by spencekat(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2018
Alcohol!
Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by Thebwoy: 8:52pm On Nov 20, 2018
Alcohol gives joy
Alcohol brings friends and enemies together

Alcohol is LIFE

2 Likes

Re: 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body by 4kDdullard: 9:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
Apart from sex what makes man lose his senses like seeing this?
Mama Nkechi abeg supply more bottles

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baby Born With 26 Fingers & Toes In India, Hailed As Reincarnation Of Hindu Idol / Ebola: Access Bank Provides Sanitizer For Customers Entering The Banking Hall / Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.