Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents (29596 Views)

What Should I Do When Meeting My Girlfriend's Parents? / How To Stay Safe When Meeting A Nigerian Guy You Met Online / What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by 24hoursreporter: 11:50am On Nov 22, 2018
Meeting your partner’s parents is a major step in your relationship, thus creating a good first impression is something you must do. As intimidating as meeting your partner’s parents can be, you still need to comport yourself.

The first impression you create when dealing with your potential in-laws can be a lasting impression. So, as you are meeting your soulmate’s parents, below are some of the things you should know.

9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents

#1. Reduce Public Display Of Affection

When you are visiting your partner’s parents for the first time, you need to reduce the public display of affection. You don’t need to kiss her in the presence of her parents to show that you love her.

Trust African parents, the way they will look at you will definitely send a message. So, be moderate in displaying your affection for your partner, when you are with his/her parents.

#2. Try Not To Be Drunk When You Are Meeting Them

No matter how addicted you are to alcohol, try to be clean when you are meeting your soulmate’s parents. Try to be in your right senses and stay away from anything that will intoxicate you including alcohol.

#3. Don’t Discuss Controversial Topics Like Sex, Politics or Religion

Discussing topics like sex, religion or politics can ruin everything in your Partner’s parents home. It is always better to stay off controversial topics to be on the safer side.

For instance, your Partner’s dad may be an ardent supporter of Buhari and the atmosphere will be tense if you pledge your support for Atiku in his house. You see why it is not advisable to discuss politics.

#4. Don’t Lie Or Exaggerate To Impress Them

One of the things to know when meeting your partners’ parents is not to lie or exaggerate to impress them. Be real and don’t be fake as the truth will always be exposed.

After all, when the wind blows, the anus of the hen will be open. So, be plain and allow them to accept you the way you are.

#5. Don’t Press Your Phone When You Are With Them

It is a sign of disrespect to be pressing your phones and chatting while meeting your partner’s parents for the first time. You can always press the pone later, but when you are with them, comport yourself.

#6. Don’t Tell Inappropriate, Sexually Or Religious Insensitive Jokes

You may want to sound funny and jovial but tell rational jokes. As a matter of fact, try to refrain from inappropriate, sexually or religious insensitive jokes. This may create a very wrong impression about you.

#7. Offer To Help Them With House Chores

Ladies, you really need to drop your slay queen behavior when you are with your man’s parents. In fact, you have to behave like a wife material and prove to them that you are the right person for their son.

Offer to assist with the cooking or help wash the dishes in the kitchen. Little gesture like this can create a lasting impression.

#8. Dress Smart

You need to look good and smart when you are meeting your partner’s parents for the first time. It goes a long way to say a lot about you. So, dress smartly as you will definitely be addressed the way you dressed.

#9. Don’t Be Completely Quiet

Try not to be bored; you can bring up an interesting conversation provided the topic is not controversial.

Souce: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/11/21/9-things-to-know-when-meeting-your-partners-parents/

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by 24hoursreporter: 11:51am On Nov 22, 2018
Must Read; Guys That Bear These Names Are Good looking and Are Players ===> http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/10/20/guys-that-bear-these-names-are-good-looking-and-are-players/

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by tripplephi: 11:55am On Nov 22, 2018
WOW, so timely. GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 22, 2018
I'm not offering to do any house chores, I'm not their maid. If they won't marry, they should forget it.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by LOWPEAK: 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2018
Omo simply act yourself when it comes to everything about marriage o.....

Don't fake it any minute....

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by 24hoursreporter: 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:
I'm not offering to do any house chores, I'm not their maid. If they won't marry, they should forget it.

LOL, babe how far now? why you dey para like this.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2018
Why should I do house chores for them. chore ko choir ni

12 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 22, 2018
24hoursreporter:

LOL, babe how far now? why you dey para like this.
Do I need to mob the whole house and the gate before they certify me a wife material? I don't know how to pretend.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Biglittlelois(f): 12:26pm On Nov 22, 2018
LOWPEAK:

Exactly, why would i overly pretend to be what i'm not or do house chores to impress anybody, be yourself so that after marriage, they wont say you were desperate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by gistfever: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
shocked

Mikel Obi Shares Cute Photos Of His Full Family

See: https://www.gistvic.com/2018/11/mikel-obi-shares-cute-photos-of-his.html
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Opinionated: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2018

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:
Do I need to mob the whole house and the gate before they certify me a wife material? I don't know how to pretend.

Babe it's mop not mob. Why are so many Nigerians guilty of this error?

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Richdad50(m): 12:28pm On Nov 22, 2018
#5. Don’t Press Your Phone When You Are With Them

I totally approve of everything listed. Young Men should watch-out for No 5. It is the most disrespectful of all yet the least significant to the Suitor.
#Richdadnuggets

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:

grin cheesy
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Richdad50(m): 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2018
You can act yourself but yourself might be stupid. Learn to improve on your character and never depend on yourself 'only' to save what is left of your foolishness.
#Richdadnuggets
LOWPEAK:

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by LOWPEAK: 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2018
Richdad50:
You can act yourself but yourself might be stupid. Learn to improve on your character and never depend on yourself 'only' to save what is left of your foolishness.
#Richdadnuggets

My stupid self is better than a fake original someone else... I only picked 'improve on yourself' and nothing else from the overmodified nugget...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Richdad50(m): 12:32pm On Nov 22, 2018
Good luck in finding a wife. You may never find a 'good thing' with this mentality.
LOWPEAK:

My stupid self is better than a fake original someone else...

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by mrvitalis(m): 12:32pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:
OK we would know when you reach 35

That time you would do more than you are asked to do

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by MsGood(f): 12:33pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:
Helping to do what they're doing at the moment ni. That doesn't make you a maid.

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Sholaco: 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2018
grin house chores? Ok hard-core cheesy
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 22, 2018
mrvitalis:

OK we would know when you reach 35

That time you would do more than you are asked to do
Hahahahah, you wish, you think that scares me, no it doesn't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by nnamdismart25(m): 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2018
Northmall:

Babe it's mop not mob. Why are so many Nigerians guilty of this error?
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by LOWPEAK: 12:37pm On Nov 22, 2018
Richdad50:
Good luck in finding a wife. You may never find a 'good thing' with this mentality.

Hmmmmm.... I guess it's my mentality here Sir.

I have always been blessed with great and special women.... They love it when you are real and not a copycat and pretending to be who you are not.

I improve everyday as i learn everyday... undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by otomori(m): 12:37pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:

You got me laughing so hard. I wan marry oh.
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by kenodrill: 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Just be yourself..no faking no forming no going beyond your limit to prove a point.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Ricardo010: 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:

Hmmmm Just Passing.....
Colourich:

Hmmmm Just Passing.....
Colourich:

Hmmmm Just Passing.....
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by LOWPEAK: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Exactly, why would i overly pretend to be what i'm not or do house chores to impress anybody, be yourself so that after marriage, they wont say you were desperate.

God bless you my dear.... Always be flexible though, cos you ain't gonna be single anymore....

1 Like

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by mrvitalis(m): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:
Hahahahah, you wish, you think that scares me, no it doesn't.
Na so
Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2018
Colourich:

Hahahahaha grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Starboytwo(m): 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2018
Whenever I showed up at bae's place her twin bro is always an a.ss.....the motherfucker is still keeping scores that I always bench his ass anytime we on the same team....last Sunday we played against each other and my goal dumps his team out,despite the fact that he was rough on me on two occasions.....first time a striker will be defending another striker......

No be my fault say I good na lol..
And it kills him that Im digging his Twin...I always enjoy going to their place mostimes....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents by Richdad50(m): 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2018
Dear lowPEAK
Never act yourself always but act on that good picture of yourself. There is enough inert folly in everyone but the continuous act of acting on your positive dream-self brings to reality an improved 'you'.
LOWPEAK:

Hmmmmm.... I guess it's my mentality here Sir.

I have always been blessed with great and special women.... They love it when you are real and not a copycat and pretending to be who you are not.

I improve everyday as i learn everyday... undecided

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can You Date A Lady Who Cannot Cook? / Maheeda Fantasizes On Twitter About Sleeping With President Jonathan / Guys, Have You Ever Had A T.hree.some? Share Your Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.