Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,352 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

THE NIGHTMARE (Evil Lurks In The Dark) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE NIGHTMARE (Evil Lurks In The Dark) (316 Views)

The Nightmare..... A Short Story / Living in The Dark (18+) / Kings (where Evil Men Dwells, Bad Things Follow) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

THE NIGHTMARE (Evil Lurks In The Dark) by idrisreal002(m): 7:46pm On Nov 26, 2018
Coming back from where seems to be unknown to me, I took a quick glance at the navy blue wristwatch I wore on my left wrist “2:00 am!” I exclaimed. Where was I coming from? “Think you numb skull” I tapped my own head hoping the memory will fall in place and I will be able to recollect. I was still trying to figure out where I was coming from when I was cut short by something unusual, something that sent shivers down my spine. “Who’s there” I shouted with a trembling voice and fidgety legs. I could swear I saw what seems to be a man in the dark run into the tree with incredibly fast pace. His pale face made him visible in the night. His eyes all dark and eyeballs popped out. He had such wide mouth, each side running to the end of his jaws that appears to be covered in what seems to be blood. His face seemed to be holding a sad expression as he gazed endlessly at the ground like a mother staring at a dead child. I stood there frozen. As I stared unendingly at the creepy man, I observed the way he stood lifelessly against the tree, though I could not make out his body, I could see the stillness in his pale face. I quickly reached for my phone and turned on the flashlight and to my surprise I could only see trees and dead leaves falling to the earth, no sign of life. I tried pointing the torch across multiple areas but could not see anything. Everywhere seems to be as dead and still as the night itself. I let out a smile believing it was all in my head, my fidgety legs relaxed like they were awaiting confirmation from my mind. I turned off the light and my heart almost flew out when I saw the same figure in the same location but this time his facial expression had changed. He was gazing at me and his sad face now seem to be holding a happy expression, the kind a predator makes when a helpless prey is in sight. In response to this, I decided to run as fast as my legs could possibly carry me.
After reaching a place I deemed to be a safe zone although still dark I could see light at a particular bar and what seems to be like people watching something and chanting. I motioned towards the bar hoping I could get help and possibly get people to walk home with me. As I moved closer, it began to dawn on me that they were not actually watching anything they were actually performing a ritual as I saw one feed a snake to what seems to be a man with what appears to be the head of a cow. As I saw this, I started moving back slowly hoping to leave unnoticed when I suddenly stepped on what seems to be an air filled balloon. The contact my leg made with the balloon caused an unbearable pressure on it and immediately it tore letting out an unbearable noise. “Jesus, I’m dead!” I exclaimed. The chanting stopped and they all moved their faces simultaneously in my direction and as I looked upon their faces, I saw the unspeakable that sent shivers down my spine.
As I moved backwards, I could see everything vanishing everywhere suddenly went blank like when you withdraw light from a dark tunnel or... wait a minute did I just go blind? I could still hear footsteps, sounds getting higher with each steps I could sense they were approaching me fast. “Who's there? I swear I’ll stab you if you come any closer” I shouted in a trembling voice while I reach for the pen in my pocket and held it defensively. Adrenaline gushed uncontrollably through my body as I was in prepared for fight and flight. “You shouldn’t be here child” one said and touched my shoulders and immediately, I saw myself in front of an abandoned warehouse.
While staring at the warehouse, I saw a man all dressed in black holding what seems to be a scythe. An overhead lamp illuminating a portion of the warehouse made this visible. As I move closer, it became clear that the supposed man was no man at all, he was a reaper but what was he here for? I guess I was about to find out.
As I edged closer, I could see that he was staring at a child who seems to be dying probably from cold. I was preparing to step back when he said “You know every night I do this, I wait for someone to die then reap their souls. You can call me evil, but I am nothing compared to the one who dumped this child. ” as he turned fear gripped me as I saw the man I had seen earlier by the tree. He smiled, his mouth extending to his jaws like they had been torn apart. His smile alone was enough to send a soul straight to the deepest and darkest parts of hades. “I believe we’ve met before.” As he said this, my heart began to beat faster like it was trying to burst out of its cage or was it trying to run?.
Reapers were known to collect the souls of the dead, was I dead? What’s actually happening to me? Those I hoped not to get the answers to. I mustered the remaining strength I had in me for one question I hope to get the answer to. “Are you here to collect my soul?” I asked sadly, my trembling voice stopped and my heart relaxed as I now await my own judgment. “No no, not yet” he said and touched me, as he did I could feel my heart seizing, blood stopped circulating, my week eyes now closing involuntarily, my legs could not carry me again as I kept hearing his voice, saying “no, not yet”.
I twisted and turned on the bed. As I opened my eyes, I decided to glance at the wall clock “2:05am” I exclaimed and went back to bed.

The story you just read is entirely fictional and it is only a work of the writers imagination.
It is not to be plagiarized.

(1) (Reply)

Carrying out A Poll;how Many Writers Here Do Their Write Up On Virtual Keyboard? / Project I / Who Is Your Mother To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.