Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges (56267 Views)

A Pot Of Soup I Prepared Today (4,900) / How Much Is This Pot In Your Local Stores? / Cooking Pot That Costs Over N400k, Nigerians React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Cation(m): 10:24am On Nov 27, 2018
MTN SME DATA , Cheap and Affordable
1 gig - #600
2 gig - #1200
5 gig - #2600
Contact 081//3872//5538. Call, SMS, and whatsapp
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Tinamoore(f): 10:28am On Nov 27, 2018
True. Its called 'Udu' in my dialect.I used to drink water from it whenever I visit my grandma in the village then.I wonder if it can be seen in the market these days.
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Tinamoore(f): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2018
Uglymugg:
I'm very much interested in the nature of the material used to build this pot. I wish we had white people's IQ. We would have looked for ways to keep improving on this tech until we can finally build a freezer that doesn't use electricity.

You are so right.
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by mumureloaded(m): 10:41am On Nov 27, 2018
folake4u:

Lmao cheesy.

You must have drank a lot when you were little.

Hmm how do you people do all these things? Drink from claypot? Drink stream water? Bathe in river?

pls don't let me feel some how. I do all this, maybe I should blame it on environment.

if you see wetin me don do ehn, you ho fear.

1 Like

Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by HomeOfMe(f): 11:01am On Nov 27, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
For those that grew up in or have visited the rural environment, this is natural refrigerator.

I remember, my grandmum had one beside her house and when the day was hot, I drank cold water from the pot. Just cover it to avoid dirt and other unwanted things from entering it. Behold, the native clay pot!

Did you use it? Have you ever drank from it? What do you call it in your language? Share your experiences.

Clay pots and other earthenwares retain temperature,whether hot or cols. It's even healthier cooking with them. When you cook your soup in this clay,it retains its temp for long after cooking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by darkelf: 12:26pm On Nov 27, 2018
Some people don't dey form like say them never hear heat of clay pot not to talk of seeing it.

People self

undecided

1 Like

Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by darkelf: 12:30pm On Nov 27, 2018
Mailthaddeus:

It's Science bro. A little knowledge of Physics would hv cleared ur ignorance. Now let me educate u. That pot is called an Earthen-Pot and it cools by means of evaporation. Evaporation causes cooling, Latent heat of evaporation cools the pot in the same way it cools your skin. The earthen pot has small pores, water "flows" through those (probably by capillary action) to the outside surface of the pot. There, it encounters a relatively dry environment and it is kinetically encouraged to leave the surface of the pot and "evaporates, this causes the temperature of the water inside the pot to drop, it continues until an equilibrium is reached and cooling can't go on further. That's why it never black blocks water, it just cook it

While I learnt a lot from your explanation, next time try to do it without condescension okay
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by ocelot2006(m): 12:44pm On Nov 27, 2018
So so soooooo true. My late grand mum and Kate aunt had same pots tucked away in a dark corner. During the Xmas season when we kids visited the village we drank from there after long hours playing outside in the hot dry weather. Absolutely refreshing.
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Tejiriseth(m): 2:29pm On Nov 27, 2018
Only you have spoken the truth
theoldpretender:
Was in one village in the North,needed to have a drink...and the chap who soldme the sprite that I drunk was using this 'fridge'

Drink was not chilled like the electric fridge...but it was cold!
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by folake4u(f): 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2018
daveP:
Quite easy, Live in the city, and then go to the villa for holidays. Make cool villa friends that make your city friend jealous when you mention them. Bring back tricks to the city and use it to taunt your city friends....

But now, All we do, is press fone and imagine notifications that isn't there.

Edakun! which city person would be jealous about village friends. grin
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Phyde: 6:15pm On Nov 27, 2018
Very true, my oldwoman in Lagos still has one but not using it.
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Immarocks(f): 6:16pm On Nov 27, 2018
oh..... we still hv this pot at home.... dad prefers water from it to fridge... n truely the taste is also good.... mhhhhm dat earth smell you perceive while drinking

1 Like

Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by Mizwisdom(f): 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2018
Immarocks:
oh..... we still hv this pot at home.... dad prefers water from it to fridge... n truely the taste is also good.... mhhhhm dat earth smell you perceive while drinking

How can I get one?
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by daveP(m): 11:41pm On Nov 27, 2018
folake4u:

Edakun! which city person would be jealous about village friends. grin
Not again sha, but yeah it happened. the freedom and the liberty of environment, until kidnappers made rural areas restricted that year. grin
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by ThugCheetah(m): 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2018
Mikkylounge:
That pot doesnt just cool, it has health benefits too. It's made from burnt clay. My late grand mum had one at the back of her house and it was not just cool, it was also always clean and had a very clean taste too
so if I put an ice block inside...how long before it melts?
Re: This Pot Cools More Than Some Fridges by RushManni: 12:12am On Oct 03, 2023
Mailthaddeus:

It's Science bro. A little knowledge of Physics would hv cleared ur ignorance. Now let me educate u. That pot is called an Earthen-Pot and it cools by means of evaporation. Evaporation causes cooling, Latent heat of evaporation cools the pot in the same way it cools your skin. The earthen pot has small pores, water "flows" through those (probably by capillary action) to the outside surface of the pot. There, it encounters a relatively dry environment and it is kinetically encouraged to leave the surface of the pot and "evaporates, this causes the temperature of the water inside the pot to drop, it continues until an equilibrium is reached and cooling can't go on further. That's why it never black blocks water, it just cook it

Bro, you mean equilibrium of the heat of that in the pot and it's outside environment ?

Secondly, can a little heat such as that from rubbing the palm with average velocity (as we feel between our palms), on the outside of the pot, be enough heat difference to force evaporation off the water in the pot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chef Damilola Adeparusi begins 120 hours cook-a-thon to break Guinness records / Big Fish Caught In Ajase Ipo Kwara State / See The Big Meat I Killed In My Yam Farm Today (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.