Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,505 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31241 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 9:51pm On Oct 10, 2006
You have to download everything as opposed to Window$ where you have to buy everything. . .
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:46pm On Oct 10, 2006
dats why i luv red hat it all comes on the cd. i have a terribly slow connection so downloading isn't a good option at all
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 11:49pm On Oct 10, 2006
Thanks Fisayo 4 the tips but what really happen is that i use Kubuntu and don't know if the command line is the same as in can be used also in Kubuntu  if no then i'll have 2 install Ubuntu on the Kubuntu partition, have very bad light current but hope i finish everything 2morrow and for the sake of other Ubuntu user why not put these Ubuntu related solution in the Ubuntu thread and if you feel comfortable here fine. God will bless you immensely. Adewale how you dey now?. Feeling down and low but will holla you later. Cheerio
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:22am On Oct 11, 2006
@esquire
eh ya NEPA tongue sorry o! its almost everywhere.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:41am On Oct 11, 2006
@chxta
Chxta:

You have to download everything as opposed to Window$ where you have to buy everything. . .
so that means i should be looking at downloading over 1gb that should take approximately FOREVER
so what are my options plz
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kossy(m): 4:05am On Oct 11, 2006
what do u use ur linux machine for? cool
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:27pm On Oct 11, 2006
i use it to do most things i can't do with windows grin also i get to learn enough things from writing of shell script to tweaking hardware but most of all experimenting
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 5:26pm On Oct 12, 2006
adewaleafolabi:

@chxtaso that means i should be looking at downloading over 1gb that should take approximately FOREVER
so what are my options plz

You have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu right?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:23pm On Oct 12, 2006
no i have only ubuntu and i really hate the Gnome environment prefer KDE.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:10pm On Oct 14, 2006
@fisayo
i haven't been able 2 connect it says a modem hung up the phone exit code 16 whenever the gprs icon comes up
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:12pm On Oct 14, 2006
@fisayo
i haven't been able 2 connect it says a modem hung up the phone exit code 16 whenever the gprs icon comes up
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2006
Chxta's World

I've been awake beyond the time when other 'normal' humans are asleep. Reason, I installed Ubuntu Linux on an Acer Aspire 1640z fo someone. Problem is, try as I could there was this issue of sound. I tried everything I knew, but to no avail. Reminded me of those days before Windows XP almost solved all driver issues (hey, even there are still some hardware that need CDs to run in XP).

Eventually, and with the help of the good people at Ubuntu Forums the end of the problem looks to be in sight.

Let's get a little technical here,

The Linux kernel sends sound to the sound card, by using the appropriate sound driver (like in Windows of course). A long time ago, the system which allowed to do that was OSS. Many drivers have been developed for OSS. Applications thus use the OSS interface to send sound to the driver.

OSS is not technically perfect, so a better system has been developed, namely ALSA. As a consequence, programs making use of sound have to be rewritten in order to be able to use ALSA instead of OSS. That's why, for example, xmms has an OSS plugin and an ALSA plugin. (The output plugin can be chosen in xmms, in options -> preferences).
Nevertheless, for older applications to go on working, a compatibility layer exists in ALSA. It ensures OSS applications believe they do use OSS while they actually use ALSA (as for example the flash plugin). Unfortunately, some hardware vendors still do not support ALSA, so it is up to the good men in the FOSS community to create their own 'hacks' of the Windows sound drivers (or whtever other driver), which as in the case of this system I was working on, may not work.

Eventually I had to go to the terminal (apologies to Texazz) and install the kernel headers on my new install.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-686

You must have the kernel headers package installed on the system and then you have to download the alsa-driver-1.0.13rc2.tar.bz2 unpack it and just do the following:

$ cd /your directory/alsa-driver-1.0.13rc2
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Then reboot the system.
That should have been it!

12 fruitless hours later, I decided to try something. I installed Windows on said laptop. Guess what? Issues with sound as well.

Difference: on Acer's site there is a page where you can download the drivers for the sound card. Uncle Bill and co really have cornered the market.

Well, na dem know. Dis thing must work!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:06am On Oct 17, 2006
@esquire
where u dey hide anyway am on kubuntu now i noticed sum glitches.
@chxta
i also noticed that sound on my pc is low even if speakers are @ highest position
@fisayo
u said u use bluetooth can u tell me hw 2configure it wit my fone thnx
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 12:58pm On Oct 17, 2006
Are you using ALSA or OSS?

I've been unable to sort my problem so far, maybe I have to wait for someone to help. . .
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 7:28pm On Oct 17, 2006
Problem solved. And in the process I upgraded to Edgy Eft. . .

http://chxta..com/2006/10/ubuntu-rocks.html
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2006
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kelewax(m): 7:17pm On Oct 20, 2006
Hi all,
While browsing the net I stumbled across this article. Its about Linux Desktop and switching from Windows. You can read it http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxdesktopmyth
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:02am On Oct 21, 2006
@chxta
its ALSA sorry that it took this long 2reply
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2006
how can i get d mp3 and other plugins without using apt get (i can't browse on my linux yet)
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 3:19am On Oct 26, 2006
Hi guys! Adewale, do you really think you still want the bluetooth lessons? Celtel had decided to strip users of their connection -- too bad! About the MP3 thing, I think your best bet is find a way to connect your pc to a fast internet connection. I don't know about Ubuntu but in Suse 9.3, there's only one file you have to download (libmad) to get MP3 playback support. Sorry, I wish I could help smiley I guess that some of Linux's demons ,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by chukwudi89(m): 3:48am On Oct 26, 2006
@adewale
unfortunately, ubuntu doesn't ship with support for mp3s. you have to get access to the internet and download codecs using apt-get, aptitude. or synaptic.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 10:32am On Oct 26, 2006
Who said Ubuntu doesn't support mp3s when Rhythm Box is part of the package. I'm tired of all these rumors flying about!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2006
@chxta
rythmbox doesn't play mp3 out of the box remember i used it before switching to kubuntu due to DRM issues, ubuntu doesn't ship the mp3 plugins/ codecs along only Kanotix or something does that remember its even illegal to install automatix in some countries talkless about installing those codecs just to be on the safe side ubuntu doesn't but in a country like nigeria where evrything is practically open source you've got no problem
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:29pm On Oct 26, 2006
@fisayo
well my gprs is behaving as if its on steriods it goes instantly even while i was at ibadan its seems as if its always online now grin but the speed is also okay
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 8:22pm On Oct 26, 2006
I never had problems playing mp3s out of the box with Rhythm Box, but since you insist. . .

$ sudo apt-get akode-mpeg
$ sudo apt-get gstreamer0.8-mad

Hope you have all repositories enabled. .
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 4:49pm On Dec 24, 2006
Sup guys! Happi festive season!
Quite a while since i had written anything on this thread. Jst had the oppurtunity to make use of a friends celtel line for internet access and decided to make the configuration on Linux. With windows, i know many people would fine it easier to setup. But i must confess i find it more easier on linux box than windows. I've done the setup on both os and i know what's up. The trick is know what you are doing.
Like i like to write, i write what i've done and how it worked.
I use FC5( not been able to get 6 for now), and i'm strictly a command line person, so know wht to expect.
The tool i find convenient to use is the wvdialconf [/b]tool. It can do everything (automatically i would say). So let's do it.

just type
[b]#wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
(note the root priviledge sign)

This would automatically detect your modem and setup it up as required, no flaws.
It would generate the script /etc/wvdial.conf as appropriate for your modem( in this case my sony ericsson p910i)
This is what you would see first;

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0
FlowControl = CRTSCTS

After this, there is two ways to do the final configuration that dial into your required network.
1. using your gui to create a modem connection, where you supply the phone number to dial, the username and password
2. you can add the phone number to dial, the username, password parts to the script manually. The parts added should look like this

[Dialer celtel]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = internet
Password = internet
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0

Let me explain some parts here,
the [Dialer celtel] is the name of the connection you dial, can be any name
the Phone = *99***1# is the phone number (this is for a phone incorporation a modem), need to find out what it is for which modem you are using, e.g for multilinks it is #777 or so. Again in the *99***1# the number you have to note and change in your own to 1,2,3 to match the CID of your phone.
the[b] Username = internet[/b] and the Password = internet must be supplied even if the network does not require on. In my own case, the celtel network does not have a user name and password assigned to me but i ve to use an abitary one which is internet.
Dont bother about the other part of the script, they are needed so just put them there and if you have to bother about what the do, get documentations from the net.

Save your script and then do
#wvdial celtel ( the name from [Dialer celtel])
This is what i get
[root@xeleon gbenga]# wvdial celtel
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: ATM0
ATM0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99***1#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Dec 24 14:48:34 2006
--> pid of pppd: 7006
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 10.103.129.71
--> remote IP address 10.103.255.254
--> primary DNS address 196.46.241.5
--> secondary DNS address 196.46.241.6

To stop your connection press
CTL+C

If you notice the wvdial automatically start the ppp daemon required for modem connection.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2006
@niggy thanks i've tried that previously and it dials but immediately the gprs sign comes on it disconnects. also on windows if i try it gives a ppp link error and most people don't encounter this problem.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 1:38pm On Dec 25, 2006
what brand of fone are u using?
In my own case i ve don't have such issue.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by yemupz(m): 2:03pm On Dec 25, 2006
Hi all n Merry Christmas! Before, all i knew abt Linux was just the name. Readinp thru these posts, however, makes me feel am missing out on something interesting. What version of Linux shld a complete newbie like me start with n where/how do i get it? I'll appreciate all info n help.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:29pm On Dec 25, 2006
@niggy i use a motorola l6 @yem try ubuntu its the best for newbies
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 7:06pm On Dec 25, 2006
Thanks niggy for the tips but it does not seems 2 work 4 me i use Kubuntu and the name of the name phone is Sagem mys-7 it runs windows mobile 2003se any help will be highly appreciated merry Christmas and cheerio
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2006
@esquire: No worries, just chill for Mr Ubuntu to arrive and ur probz shuld be Solved wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.