Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,438 members, 7,801,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31136 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hotangel2(f): 9:03am On Jul 20, 2005
you just answered my question. You love and know everything about computers.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:06am On Jul 20, 2005
which question did i answered hot angel
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hotangel2(f): 9:10am On Jul 20, 2005
Niggy, i asked you if you had a thing for computers. Now i know you do. cheesy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:12am On Jul 20, 2005
not my fault angel, just like doin something worthwhile with my time. what do u like doing with ur time?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hotangel2(f): 9:13am On Jul 20, 2005
oh, i didn't say it was your fault... its tight.

Anyways i do alot with my time. swim, shop, watch TV, get on the net (alot durring summer)..and some stuffs. Right now, i am going to sleep, so i think that counts. See ya! wink
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2005
when you wake up, report here with ya dream oh!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kazey(m): 12:59pm On Jul 20, 2005
Chai, all i hear Niggy nah grammar, there is nothing new about what you just said. As i said before, i use linux too both on desktop and in my remote servers, but its not my primary operating system. And i love windows still. Period cheesy

By the way who cares about creating their own OS. I wonder. Well as for me, i am a user, not a creator, nor do i have plans to be one. I guess thats why i am losing my coding skills. hehehe. Anywayz just be cool. Abi you be an open source paid promoter grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hotangel2(f): 8:25pm On Jul 20, 2005
haha.. they gave u a new name.

Anyways, Niggy....i didn't dream about you. lipsrsealed
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 5:21pm On Jul 21, 2005
My Kanotix box couldnt be much smoother than it is now. Why on earth am I thinking of testting another distro? Beats me. I think I will download the latest Kanotix 2005-03 tonight and give it a twirl.

In the mean time, Niggy, I need to be able to print from my kanotix box on to my Promepis box. I know I did it once b4 but I cant for the lif of me, figure how to do it. The Promepis box is on a docking station and runs like a desktop. The printer is connected to it. Both laptops communicate on the network wirelessly. How do I set up the Mepis printer on my Kanotix box?

Woulda tried Fedora Coree 4 but the thought of downloading 700 MBs four times is not appealing. If it aint on a 700MB Cd, this cat aint trying it out.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2005
@jogego, is the printer on the promepis already configured? can you printer locally from it? i need this answers so i ll know where to start or proceed from.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 4:47pm On Jul 22, 2005
The printer has been configured. I can print locally from the Promepis. Its a USB Samsung ML-1520. In fact, when I want to print from my Kanotix box, I just plug the USB cord in and it prints. But I dont want to be doing this all the time.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:10pm On Jul 22, 2005
do u want to do this via samba?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2005
if it would be easier, yes.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mamba(m): 7:18pm On Jul 22, 2005
Niggy, why are you trying to brainwash us?

You want us to format our systems and install LINUX abi?

Well, too bad! I aint goin for that S H I T!

WINDOWS TILL I DIE HOMEBOY!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 8:31pm On Jul 22, 2005
For crying out loud, if you cant contribute to this kind of intellectual discussion, kindly keep your comments to yourself.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mamba(m): 9:11am On Jul 23, 2005
Jogego, abeg no vex. I was just f***ing with Niggy, he's my tight padi.....
Infact, he's @ my crib now...

jo ma binu o!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:21am On Jul 23, 2005
i love configuring samba,but i've not used it to print, bt it's possible. so let me tell u au i alway configure my samba. i love the konsole mode, if u don't mind?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:35am On Jul 23, 2005
there's one solution i got to a very common problem in fedora core 4 so i like to share it
it's a compile error message. i ve read many peoples report of this bug.
an error message that says the gcc 4.0 has bug and cannot compile is common during compile, so for a long time i couldn't compile any programm under my fedora core 4 which was very annoying.
a common solution was to install the compact-lib that allows you to make use of the previous release gcc32 to compile. i did this but only to be faced with compiler can locate libXext error message. i did alot of google search and forum consult for the solution but to no avail not knowing that wetin dey find for sokoto dey my sokoto pocket.
i resolved to a study of the packaging of the fedora distro which warrant me to reinstall my fedora
here i chose the detail subpackage listing and i found all the libraries required to make gcc work, i then chked all.
that ws it!
i could compile now.
./configure
make
su root(pw required)
make install
make clean
all works fine

to nairaland linux newbie i'm planning on starting a mini tutorial series on
using linux
importance and future of linux
which distro is good for newbies
how to make ur linux look and work like windows XP and
configuring linux based on my findings.

i ll like to make this as simple as possible in my own terms so even a 10year old baby ll know what we re talkin about.
may linux be with you
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:54am On Jul 23, 2005
@jogego,
this are the things needed to configure samba:
samba package
smb daemon (up and running) and,
a linux text editor (i like vi)
a bottle of maltonic drink.
i'm a redhat user so i don't know if this commands are supported by your debian based kanotix

i'm sure you know how to get and install the samba package(i believe it should come with kanotix and promepis). so to chk if the samba daemon is running go to konsole,root and do

chkconfig --list | grep smb
then see if the run-levels 2345 are on
if off , do this

chkconfig --level 2345 smb on

you can do this via GUI also on your distro

you can now restart the smb daemon by doing

/etc/init.d/smb restart

there are 4 main files in your /etc/samba/ directory
lmhosts, smbpasswd, smb.config smbusers

sipping drink
like to see your response before i continue.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 11:44am On Jul 23, 2005
mamba:

Jogego, abeg no vex. I was just f***ing with Niggy, he's my tight padi.....
Infact, he's @ my crib now...

jo ma binu o!

haba Mamba, I been think say you be laike ya name sake Black Mamba, you no even get liver, hen small shakara and you don become jelly? Abeg do body giri jare...I just dey yank ya chain.

Niggy, I should run this commands on which box? Kanotix or Mepis?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kazey(m): 12:03pm On Jul 23, 2005
Linux Support Thread, hear we go. Dem people are goooooooood.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2005
Finished downloading Kanotix 2005-03 yesterday. Yet to burn the .iso image, to be honest, am not really keen on messing up the one I have. But most times when I start feeling like this, something might happen, so I'll just do a backup just in case. If anything shd happen, then I'll install 2005-03 instead o' 2005-02.

So far the only problem I have is that if I boot with my wireless card in the machine, it fails to connect. If I boot without the wireless card, and then insert it after booting, it connects. Tiny problem if u ask me. Other than that, sweet little box. ANybody wanting to try linux on a laptop, go with an IBM thinkpad. The linux support is exceptional.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 3:30pm On Jul 23, 2005
fedora core 4 runs smoothly on my viao sony labtop too.
jogego you ve to do it on both distros, so you start with one at a time. i shall continue shortly.
i'm trying to update my gcc to gcc 4.0.1 and get some other vital updates too.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mamba(m): 5:44pm On Jul 23, 2005
jogego:

For crying out loud, if you can't contribute to this kind of intellectual discussion, kindly keep your comments to yourself.

grin Joge, I thought you were crying out loud, that's why decided to retreat.... grin

BTW, this is the most informative thread in this forum....
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Chxta(m): 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2005
mamba:

BTW, this is the most informative thread in this forum....

Is it?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mamba(m): 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2005
Which other thread is more informative?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2005
@jogego,here we go:
on your promepis

lmhosts
here you map your ipaddress to system host name eg
192.168.0.1 = KANOTIX system name

on your kanotix
192.168.0.2 = PROMEPIS system name

your smb consults the lmhosts file to do it's name-resolution.
the ipaddress here is a class c ipaddress which have a range of 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255/24 i want to believe u understand ipaddressing and subnetting. i love subneting calculations so much that......oops! guess i'm deviating.
if you need help with ipaddressing let me know. you can also edit your /etc/hosts file manually to map ipaddresses.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2005
in this course, i won't forget making mention of tweaking windows registry so it can access and browse file on a linux system. by default windows can't access a linux system on the network even after configuring samba. it only sees the linux system as an icon in mynetworkplaces. this is a windows fault and has to be tweaked.

smbuser

This is where you map your linux user to a windows user or other linux user on another linux box.
eg a user on KANOTIX is jogego1 , jogego2 on PROMEPIS, and jogego3 on WINDOWS. ( note i'm bringing windows in now)

on KANOTIX do

jogego1 = jogego2

on PROMEPIS do

jogego2 = jogego1

for interested windoz user do

linuxusername = jogego3[i]windoz username[/i]

on the window system , navigate to
controlpanel - useraccount - then click on jogego3 account name.
Select Manage Network password from the side plane, then do

Server name = LINUX SERVER NAME
User name = LINUX\jogego1
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 6:06am On Jul 24, 2005
hey niggy, sorry it took me some time. I have been sleeping for the past 12 hours or so. I havent tried your steps yet, but I also came accross this on the kanotix forums.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

Am just waking up and still groggy, I think I'd go to bed and try out your steps later.

Cheers
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:27pm On Jul 24, 2005
here is a good linux and windows compartiblep2p download link. it's called limewire

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/downloadfree.shtml

i'm currently downloading it
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:38pm On Jul 24, 2005
less i forget , java runtime is need. this can be downloaded from this link

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 6:49pm On Jul 24, 2005
Limewire is wonderful, but I stopped downloading music using either it or kazaa, dont want the police knocking down my door all in the name of copyright infringement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Mtn Hynet--- / Windows 8: The Thread / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.