Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,304 members, 7,829,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31328 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:56am On Feb 19, 2007
silverbird tv running smooth!

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 5:16pm On Feb 20, 2007
allonym:

smiley And to select the right tool, you need to have some objective comparison between a few.

this reminds me of another saying: "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

We are on the same page. That is why I left my dream of working in Microsoft one day smiley But you know, I may still do - Microsoft Embedded Linux.

I'm thrilled by your insight.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:01pm On Mar 01, 2007
@fisssyo wats up? i finally got ubuntu christmas edition dvd version. it has codecs installed beryl etc i'll install it tommorrow God's willing. i have to go and buy a dvd rom. i was so disappointed with vista angry i tried it on a friends pc he says he wants to remove it
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 9:12am On Mar 02, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

@fisssyo wats up? i finally got ubuntu christmas edition dvd version. it has codecs installed beryl etc i'll install it tommorrow God's willing. i have to go and buy a dvd rom. i was so disappointed with vista angry i tried it on a friends pc he says he wants to remove it

Before you start dissing Vista publicly pls post the specs of your friend's PC. We've had guys yabbing Vista for not running smoothly on a pentium 3 700mhz system just because they couldnt be arsed to RTFM!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 9:53am On Mar 05, 2007
hello Afo how far now i need to talk to you your nos that u text me with the other time while i was using that glo line and it got lost so text me your current nos cos i don't want to use email my nos is 08028862963. Fisayo how u dey now and u too niggy hope u guys are doing well av no been having nuff chance. Cheerio. later
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:09pm On Mar 05, 2007
sup esquire?Long time.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:04pm On Mar 06, 2007
@texazzpete plz he uses a pentium 4 hp laptop with a vista compactible sticker on it. and plz i wasn't insulting vista anyway all i just said was that after all the hype i couldn't just see the point. and plz dont tell me RTFM angry

@esquire 08025426934
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 10:05am On Mar 07, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

@texazzpete plz he uses a pentium 4 hp laptop with a vista compactible sticker on it. and plz i wasn't insulting vista anyway all i just said was that after all the hype i couldn't just see the point. and plz don't tell me RTFM angry

@esquire 08025426934

I wasnt dissing u. all i said was some guys go all out dissing vista without just cause. the RTFM wasn't directed at you. however you might need to RTFP (Read the ------ Post) before flaring up!

Vista compatible doesnt always mean it can handle the Aero interface perfectly. as long as a system can run the lo-fi version of vista, it could be slapped with a vista compatible sticker.
It's terrible if you review an entire OS in just a few minutes. Your pal needs to try out vista for a couple of days before forming an opinion, sadly most vista reviewers are already biased,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:33am On Mar 09, 2007
ok i admit i was flaring up i have a thing against the fword it makes me angry don't know why. but i wonder why vista meets so much bias from people even non linux users
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 8:27am On Apr 21, 2007
I was tempted to open another thread and title it "linux and laptop", but i think i would fit right under this popular thread.
I got a new laptop, spec:

Toshiba Satellite pro A120
Intel Core sole 1.86Ghz processor
760MB DDR2 RAM
128MB Intel 945GM Express Chipset VGA
40Gig SATA hdd
DVD/CD-rw Ultra High speed
15.4" TFT wide-screen
wifi
100/1000Mb LAN
SD/MMC card slot
3 USB port

i installed fedora core 6 and almost everything worked out-of-the-box except:
1. fedora incorrectly loaded hdc driver for the cdrom. This caused choppy dvd playback and data copy from the cdrom
2. wifi was not detected
3. sd/mmc card slot sometimes detected and sometimes not

Everything else Graphic display, 3D, DRM, sound works fine. Hibernation (suspend to RAM and DIsk).

Solution to problems:
The wifi problem was solved by easily downloading my driver madwifi for Atheros and it works fine now.
The laptop used ICH7 by Intel.

$ lspci | grep -i ide
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA

The SATA hard drive is connected to the same hub with the CDrom.
The correct scsi was loaded for the hard drive as sda but incorrectly loaded for my cdrom which is wrongly seen as hdc. This caused reduce or draggy system performance on the laptop which watching dvd or copying file from a disk.This can be checked like this"

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 April 21 07:23 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

To correct this i simply edit my boot loader (grub.conf) and point the kernel to load the correct driver for the cdrom like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet combined_mode=libata

i added the combined_mode=libata to the line to tell the kernel that the hard drive and dvd/cdrom are connected to the same SATA hub.
And that's it. Everything started working fine, smooth and fast dvd and copy performance. It's like saying i enabled DMA on the cdrom drive. my cdrom is now seen correctly as scd0 and not hdc.

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 April 21 07:30 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:54pm On Apr 21, 2007
@niggy my pc has been freezing until when i had to reconfigure x. I have an nvidia graphic card(Nvidia Geforce Mx 400) and downloaded the 3d driver from nvidia it install but after logging in it freezes the pc after some minutes. also i had firefox and i installed flash plugin and now i installed opera it doesn't have flash support what can i do thanks
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:38pm On Apr 27, 2007
plz can someone put me through on how to connect two linux computers through a modem cable or a linux and a window computer. thanks
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by babake81(m): 8:29pm On Apr 29, 2007
Niggy! u've really made this thread 'd Bomb'

I've been struggling, for months now, to figure out how to connect my starcomms usb modem to my linux m/c for browsing at home

RSVP , thanx
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:25pm On May 20, 2007
Plz guys i need you to sign this petition so that a liux installer would be created for this game. If we are successful with this we could try adbobe and others u just imagine the possibilites
http://www.petitiononline.com/ibpfl/petition.html
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by 3dhunter(m): 8:34pm On May 31, 2007
i have a 486. and i am new to linux but very much interested. i have other systems but i want to install on the 486 first. who can tell me the best flavour to install and where i can download it from.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:04pm On May 31, 2007
just go to ubuntu.com or better search for ubuntu ultimate edition and download later you can download the i486 kernel module. cheers
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Emmo: 9:41am On Jun 01, 2007
Only thing that's whack about Linux is that not too many household applications come out for it, and it can't be really used as a gaming machine. But, if you have a fast enough computer you can run VMWare which lets you run windows inside of Linux through virtualization. Or if you computer is slow you can run single windows applications at time without running a whole "virtualizing" the entire windows operating system.

1. If you don't need to play games, are content with learning everything linux has to offer, and don't mind using 3rd part software. Then by all means choose linux.

2. If you run a slower computer but want more "current" type software then choose linux, because it utilizes cpu resources and swap space in place of RAM better than any of the window operating systems do.

3. If you need to ask a lot of questions and lack trouble shooting acumen , then you might want to save yourself the headache and go with windows.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by 3dhunter(m): 9:12pm On Jun 01, 2007
@ adewaleafolabi
i went to ubuntu.com
it is not downloading
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:37pm On Jun 01, 2007
ok thats strange why is it not downloading. ok why don't you try ubuntu ultimate edition it will save u much time and gives you a complete suite out of the box. emmo you are way wrong you should give ubuntu gamers edition a try. linux has evolved look at beryl project linux supports 3d and now game makers are making native installer for linux look at america's army and linux-gamers.net
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by rozilla(m): 12:07am On Jun 02, 2007
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2007
Niggy long time. What are you up to these days? Am using Linux Mint now and Beryl comes pre installed, all I need to do is enable my Nvidia card. Will put up a screenshot one of this days
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by ifect: 3:28pm On Jun 03, 2007
Linux is a very powerful OS, i knew this when i cud not install windows on a faulty hard disk, linu x installed perfectly, and repaired my bad sectors for me. i advise u to learn it, companies that mean business are al using UNIX-based OSes e.g SOlaris and linux etc, e.g celtel and d likes.

LINUX IS FUN, its for power users cos u control ur system unlike Windows OS which controls you.
If u want control of ur system, use LINUX, i luv redhat, try ubuntu if u are just starting.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by dakmanzero(m): 4:59pm On Jun 03, 2007
Linux is nice, but in 9ja where everything is pirated anyway, theres no reason to recommend linux to anyone

People are lazy and dont want to think about using their computer.

If u recommend linux to users (not computer geeks) they will hate you for it when their powerpoint emails don't open on doubleclick.

Personally I love linux. However I also love games. Since games require full power, I always run linux in a VM, and windows as primary.

As for vista, sorry TP, ive heard too many horror stories about vista's performance to consider it at the moment. I will move up after the first service pack, just like I did with XP. For now XP is fine.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by 3dhunter(m): 8:02pm On Jun 03, 2007
who knows the best linux SERVER   to use
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2007
u can try ubuntu or cent os
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by dakmanzero(m): 9:27am On Jun 04, 2007
centos is nice.

its RHEL but free.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by stanech: 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2007
I ordered an ubuntu Cd and it was delivered but anytime I install it gives me a blue screen error complaining about my Xserver graphical bla bla bla

I have tried running it several times.

I am new to Linux. Please someone should help.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kayodus(m): 1:55am On Jun 05, 2007
i prefer fedora servers - very cool and secured.

however, which linux certifications can one write ?

thanks wink
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by stanech: 3:36pm On Jun 05, 2007
So please how do I run the ubuntu Linux. The cd is already here but I dont know what do do with it now.

I would need a little advice on how to run it please

U can PM me or send me a mail stanech2000@yahoo.com
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Hayorbahmy(m): 2:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
@Niggy
I believe you would be of help to me.
I was using a fedora core 4 on my system when suddenly it crashed and I tried rebooting it told me Hard disk not found. I tried using another HDD on it but it's asking for HDD passwd what do I do I dont know the passwd.Ur reply should be asap cuz its urgent.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2007
is the hard disk recognised in Bios? if yes then connect the other hard disk also and make sure bios detects both disks. then get a live cd could be any distro but i'll suggest puppy linux its not more than 70mb so you can download and burn it. i have a copy. so load puppy and it has a tool called MUT it helps to mount your discs no configuration required. they you can transfer your important files to the other hard disk but make sure the other drive is in fat32 format. plz save your data first. then you could search for fedora forums
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by ovince(m): 3:18pm On Jun 08, 2007
Well, I use Linux, Ubuntu to be precise, and its quite gooc except that u dont get enough softwares that run on linux. Linux is one of the best OSs when it comes to security as compared to windows and most of all its FREE. But if ure a newcomer to computers, red hat or Fedora is actually good. Although evrythings different from the file sytem, directories and the loads but it compatitible with Windows. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.