Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Deleted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deleted (4713 Views)

Attention Moderators: Who Deleted My Comment On Jonathan's Shopping Spree? / post deleted / DELETED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deleted by EzeUche(m): 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 2:42pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by udezue(m): 2:45pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aro mma mma nu!
Re: Deleted by AndreUweh(m): 2:50pm On Jul 28, 2010
I know that there is a tiny Igbo population in Cameroun. Are they of Aro stock?.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 2:53pm On Jul 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I know that there is a tiny Igbo population in Cameroun. Are they of Aro stock?.

Most likely. My grandfather use to tell me stories that there were Aro communities were present in Cameroon and also that Aro warriors would go to distant parts of Alaigbo in create their own communities.
Re: Deleted by AndreUweh(m): 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2010
Uchenna: It is interesting to note that in 2002 at Abidjan, I met a lady from Equatorial Guinea whose name is Nwanyieze. At first I thought she was a Nigeria until she narrated her history to me. Though she does not speak Igbo but her parents though born in Equatorial Guinea do speak Igbo. According to her, her great grand parents were Igbo of Aro extraction.
When I aked her if she would love to visit Arochukwu, she said yes but does not know where to go and how to go about it.
I think the Aro people should seek for ways to unite with kins in Equatorial Guinea.
Re: Deleted by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 28, 2010
I just don't get it, is the Aro Slave-trading Legacy something to be proud of?
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 3:25pm On Jul 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Uchenna: It is interesting to note that in 2002 at Abidjan, I met a lady from Equatorial Guinea whose name is Nwanyieze. At first I thought she was a Nigeria until she narrated her history to me. Though she does not speak Igbo but her parents though born in Equatorial Guinea do speak Igbo. According to her, her great grand parents were Igbo of Aro extraction.
When I aked her if she would love to visit Arochukwu, she said yes but does not know where to go and how to go about it.
I think the Aro people should seek for ways to unite with kins in Equatorial Guinea.

I agree. Some people in other parts of Alaigbo have Aro ancestry, but they don't even know it. Arochukwu has really fallen from glory.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by AndreUweh(m): 4:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
ziddy:

I am not an Aro man but let's give credit and honour to whom honour is due.
It was Aro who fearlessly rtesisted British occupation of Eastern Nigeria.
It was Aro sons who like Mbonu Ojike, Mbadiwe, Alvan Ikokwu etc who fought for the liberation of Nigeria from colonial masters.
NDI ARO, UDO DIRI UNU.
Re: Deleted by udezue(m): 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2010
Andre Uweh,
I just met a guy on facebook who has both my uncle's 1st and last name. I was shocked. He is from Equitorial Guinea too. Arochukwu ppl really travelled far.
Re: Deleted by AndreUweh(m): 4:41pm On Jul 28, 2010
udezue:

Andre Uweh,
I just met a guy on facebook who has both my uncle's 1st and last name. I was shocked. He is from Equitorial Guinea too. Arochukwu ppl really travelled far.
That is interesting.
But is there any arrangement to unite this Aros with motherland Aro?.
Re: Deleted by Mortiple(m): 5:16pm On Jul 28, 2010
@Poster
It is baffling to hear 'nwafor-Igbo' coming to a public forum to claim his subgroup's superiority over others.  

By the way, there was never a time "when much of the East was under the control of the Aro Igbo".  Even the "history lesson" you extracted from New World Encyclopedia never suggested so.  The Aros never governed, displaced or conquered any subgroup in Igboland except the Ibibios that occupied present day Arochukwu.  They achieved such feat through the assistance of some of their Igbo neighbours.

As a true Igbo son, I have appreciable knowledge of many Igbo subgroups including the Aros.  As much as I love the Aro people, many tales about them are nothing to brag about.  Let's desist from this 'my-people-are-better-than-yours' attitude; it is not helping our image please.  

Igbo kwenu!
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 7:01pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by asha80(m): 7:09pm On Jul 28, 2010
You sound like a kid
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by oderemo(m): 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
for a split seconds i thought u were on about ARO. in abeokuta.
anyone who enters a shrine and begs the deity of the shrine for help instantly becomes an osu (sometimes called a "juju slave"wink, a slave of the shrine and a social outcast.
Re: Deleted by yarodin: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2010
EzeUche:

Aro resistance to the British was one of the most fiercist in all of Nigeria and we were the last to be conquered. The East would have looked like a much different place if the British never got involved in our politics. Of course one Igbo clan would have conquoered the East and that would have most likely been the Aro. Which Igbo, Ibibio, Ijaw, Igala or Idoma clan could have resisted the Aro at the height of our power. Aro warriors were even known to create their own communities as far as Anamabra State and Cameroon.

Whether first or last your people were still conquered so what is your point?   I don't know where you get Aro were conquerers and all that crap because from what I gathered you and your people are like Fulanis  roaming from one place to another but unlike the Fulanis just adapted with your hosts without having to go to war.  I guess while the fulanis were roaming with their cattles, your people were roaming with their goats and chickens. Maybe you are mixing up slave raids on powerless children and women who were working on their farms as conquering a whole tribe.
Re: Deleted by Beaf: 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
The slave trade is a very dark blot on African history. This topic is to be condemned.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 8:14pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by Beaf: 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2010
EzeUche:

Why run away from our history? Do the Ashanti run away from their history? Do the Dahomey run away from their history?

Why can't I be proud of my heritage? This is just a history lesson.

Did my ancestors know what would happen to the captives once they left our land? No! Remember slavery was different in Africa than in the Americas. How would they have known the horrors of the Middle Passage?

The Ashanti's have made atonement and surely aren't beating their chests foolishly as the greatest slave traders;

The Fihankra movement, initiated in 1994, has
established a township on 30,000 acres of “free” land in the Eastern region of Ghana for African diasporan
“returnees.” The settlement was a culmination of a series of sacred rituals of atonement and reconciliation for
the central role that some Ghanaian traditional rulers played in the transatlantic slave trade. It is, as far as I
know, the only documented instance wherein the demand for slavery reparations has been met with
compensation.

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/3/7/2/9/8/p372989_index.html

The fihankra website is down, otherwise, I would have posted the link here.

We need to compensate those we sold, rather than boast stupidly about it.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by Katsumoto: 8:26pm On Jul 28, 2010
ziddy:

Beaf:

The slave trade is a very dark blot on African history. This topic is to be condemned.

There I was wondering whether I missed something. EzeUche is trawling the net looking for stories to magnify his ego. Is slave trade something to be proud? Should an Igbo man be proud of selling other Igbo brothers into slavery.

EzeUche
Do you know the meaning of kingdom? There was no Aro kingdom; there were slave raiders from Aro. No matter how much you try to re-write history, you can't. The Aro did not subjugate any other Igbo sub-groups. Whilst the main kingdoms in Africa all sold captured enemies as slaves, most are not proud of it.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by Beaf: 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2010
EzeUche:

Who is boasting about that ugly past?

This thread was designed to promote a few things: First, the East has been interconnected a while. Great powers once ruled the East, and the resistance this kingdom did against colonialism. Even though we lost, I am still proud of the fight my people put up against British colonialism. That is what makes my people GREAT!

The Ashanti provided stiff resistance against the British. The Dahomey provided stiff resistance against the French. That is why we give them praise!

But when it comes to the Aro Confederacy, the history books are silent.

. . .Next thing you would claim Germany should be proud of her Nazi past. Slavery is a shame to each and every one of us, no justifications. Period.
If you are looking for good stories about your people, rather than hyping slave raiding; how about expanding on infinitely more sensible and inspiring words like these?

Andrew Uweh: I am not an Aro man but let's give credit and honour to whom honour is due.
It was Aro who fearlessly rtesisted British occupation of Eastern Nigeria.
It was Aro sons who like Mbonu Ojike, Mbadiwe, Alvan Ikokwu etc who fought for the liberation of Nigeria from colonial masters.
NDI ARO, UDO DIRI UNU.
Re: Deleted by EzeUche(m): 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2010
Deleted
Re: Deleted by udezue(m): 9:19pm On Jul 28, 2010
Yarodin,

LOL @ your rabid dislike of Arochukwu people. Eyaaaa. O ka osi afu gi ufu na obi. Onye ivfe Aro na ewe iwe ya biko wegbuo ya.

Proudly Arokigbo and Nri-Oka.

Igbo mma mma nu!!!!!
Re: Deleted by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
This is an ugly part of black history that we should hope never wish existed.

Why some people are here rehearsing it is beyond reason.
Re: Deleted by AndreUweh(m): 11:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
The Aro were never slave hunters. They never captured slaves. Indeed as business men, they sold slaves and other articles to the British and other whites on the coast of Biafra.
We must aknowledge the role of Nationalist of Aro origin who fought for the liberation of Nigeria from 1902-1960.
Re: Deleted by Katsumoto: 12:10am On Jul 29, 2010
Andre Uweh:

The Aro were never slave hunters. They never captured slaves. Indeed as business men, they sold slaves and other articles to the British and other whites on the coast of Biafra.
We must aknowledge the role of Nationalist of Aro origin who fought for the liberation of Nigeria from 1902-1960.

It is obvious you are not as familiar with that history as you think you are. When did Aro sons turn to arabs that they were sellers of slaves? When did the British buy slaves from Aro sons?

Also stop trying to rationalise slave trading by telling us that other Aro sons were nationalists who fought for independence. They are mutually exclusive ideas. Its like arguing that a man who commits murder should be freed because his father is a judge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Shagari Didn’t Arrest Ibb, Buhari, Abacha, Before The 1983 Coup –lawal Kaita / Dumb And Criminal Actions Of GEJ / Update: Ipob Onitsha Shooting Death Toll Hit 7 And 20 On Dead List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.