Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision (1466 Views)

Please I Need Advice Concerning Life Decision. / I Need Your Advice (big Life Decision) / Life's Decision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:14pm On Dec 02, 2018
I don't know where I should start from.......but lemme begin this way

NOTE: It's a quite lengthy one, pls take your time to read it

I come from a family of 9 children, I am the fifth born, also the second son. My parents are Togolese, but my siblings and I were born and bred in Lagos.

Permit me to go a bit back in time so y'all can understands where I'm coming from.

While growing up, in my primary school I was the most brilliant in my school, in my class back then (we were not up to 20) to be very sincere honestly I am always the first in class back to back. it got to a point that it became a norm and I wished there was a strong competitor but no, there was none.

Fast forward to junior secondary school, I met students who were more brilliant than me, i guess this was where I began to loss it.

When I got to the senior school the bubble bursted!
negative peer influence began to get into me, started to loss interest in studies.

I find class lectures boring, evading of teachers and started to feel among the bad guys.

Mom soon began to see unusual changes in me, from the way I sew my uniforms, I barely take my backpack to school, I wash and iron my uniforms everyday.
Before I forget, my dad is a busy man, he seldom comes home, he works and live in Lagos.

There was a time i went to visit my dad during one of the holidays, he was aware of my non seriousness in school, he advised me everyday I spent with him....the one he always says repeatedly still rings in my head till date, he said and I quote "We are in the computer age, so everything in this world will go digital, and it's only education that is the key to digital knowledge)... but I never heeded to any of his advice (I'll forever regret I didn't)

Amidst those days, a particular family member visited, and he talked about taking me with him down to the east to be an apprentice and also further my education for 4 years..Tilling and Plastering precisely.

My mom advised I should go with him as a good chance of being financially capable in the future. initially I refused point blank, but after much pleading from her I agreed.
Hence after my SS1 studies, I dropped out of my school.

When I got here in the east, I realized I was only here to be an apprentice nothing more, my master has no intention to take me to school (he and my mom actually came up with that just to take me far away from home, after all, I've never been serious with studies)...though I later realized it's all for my good.

4 years down the line after gone through so much struggles and pain, it was actually on this forum I've come to know two things

Firstly, Education is so important, it's a necessity
Secondly, Money must be made,money speaks a whole lot.

Now to my point, this past month completes my 4 years in apprenticeship and I've been thinking what step should I take now??

Two persons advised me concerning education in different forms

1 - A graduated friend told me to get education added that it's very important in the kind of work I do (saying it will help me alot in meeting people)

2 - My master advice I should study an engineer course for two years (because he loves architecture and would love one of his apprentice to be an engineer) he said he has worked with engineers and can assure me success.... coincidence, I remember I used to say as a pupil that when I grow up I'll be an engineer, interesting, Huh??

Now I am at cross roads..... in as much as I'd love to be educated (which I've vowed to) I am still thinking about finances cuz that's what led me into apprenticeship in the first place

Nigeria is so messed up that an average Nigerian would prefer money over education anyday anytime

Please good people of NL advise me on what step I should take now... I really need them
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by GuyWise101(m): 6:16pm On Dec 02, 2018
B
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 02, 2018
Nobody wey no fit to make am.....

Blessings follow you...
Alubarika follow you...
Plenty money follow you...
Fine Fine ladies follow you....

But no let indecision follow you.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by decatalyst(m): 6:25pm On Dec 02, 2018
Get fund and get back to school.

Skills with education makes you different from your peers and it unlocks many doors of opportunities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by MJBOLT: 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2018
going back to school is the best step but you should know it's not just about going to school,you have to be serious this time and your write up is good if you ask me

1 Like

Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by ednut1(m): 6:36pm On Dec 02, 2018
U are already educated. U only want the overrated 9ja tag of graduate. So find a school u can combine with ur hustle. What are most of the graduates doing Tailoring,cake making. Events planning,importation and business. Did they need to waste 4 years in school. Na God go save 9ja

3 Likes

Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by digScratcher: 6:37pm On Dec 02, 2018
Architecture is a professional career. it's worth it, and once you're done you can stand on your own.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2018
TarOrfeek:

Nobody wey no fit to make am.....
Blessings follow you... Alubarika follow you... Plenty money follow you... Fine Fine ladies follow you....
But no let indecision follow you.

Lol...... Na so bruh
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by mrakeeno: 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2018
I'll advice you go back to school. Since you are on your own now, you can enroll in one of the distant learning institutions so as to avail you time to work also. Just like your friend told you, education will let you meet more clients and will separate you from others

P.S It might necessarily not be engineering cos of age and time factor but something along that line. So long as you are good at what you do clients will always locate you
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:52pm On Dec 02, 2018
decatalyst:
Get fund and get back to school.

Skills with education makes you different from your peers and it unlocks many doors of opportunities.

Thanks for the advice
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2018
MJBOLT:
going back to school is the best step but you should know it's not just about going to school,you have to be serious this time and your write up is good if you ask me

I understand..... Thanks
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:56pm On Dec 02, 2018
ednut1:
U are already educated. U only want the overrated 9ja tag of graduate. So find a school u can combine with ur hustle. What are most of the graduates doing Tailoring,cake making. Events planning,importation and business. Did they need to waste 4 years in school. Na God go save 9ja

Lol....funny u bro @ overrated 9ja tag

Thanks too
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 6:58pm On Dec 02, 2018
mrakeeno:
I'll advice you go back to school. Since you are on your own now, you can enroll in one of the distant learning institutions so as to avail you time to work also. Just like your friend told you, education will let you meet more clients and will separate you from others

P.S It might necessarily not be engineering cos of age and time factor but something along that line. So long as you are good at what you do clients will always locate you

Thanks a bunch sir.... I've always thought about this.. i'll put it into consideration

Thanks again
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Sylver247: 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2018
I'm coming back to you wait
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Waffarianman(m): 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2018
D's encyclopedia nawa. Did any1 read DT. Cumin.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Eberechi24(f): 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2018
Education is very good but you need to finance it.

Build your business/firm, have a strong customer/client base, then you enroll in regular/weekend program.

1 Like

Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by DonHummer(m): 8:14pm On Dec 02, 2018
Use the skill you have learnt to make money bro while you sponsor your education as well. A lot of guys I knw in school as of now pay their tuition them selves. so you have a very good advantage cause of your skill, which is something most graduates lack.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Homeboiy: 8:15pm On Dec 02, 2018
Please make sure your grounded in your business before making a decision of going back to school

Go as a part time student

I speak from a personal experience
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 02, 2018
VadoTheGreat:
I don't know where I should start from.......but lemme begin this way

NOTE: It's a quite lengthy one, pls take your time to read it

I come from a family of 9 children, I am the fifth born, also the second son. My parents are Togolese, but my siblings and I were born and bred in Lagos.

Permit me to go a bit back in time so y'all can understands where I'm coming from.

While growing up, in my primary school I was the most brilliant in my school, in my class back then (we were not up to 20) to be very sincere honestly I am always the first in class back to back. it got to a point that it became a norm and I wished there was a strong competitor but no, there was none.

Fast forward to junior secondary school, I met students who were more brilliant than me, i guess this was where I began to loss it.

When I got to the senior school the bubble bursted!
negative peer influence began to get into me, started to loss interest in studies.

I find class lectures boring, evading of teachers and started to feel among the bad guys.

Mom soon began to see unusual changes in me, from the way I sew my uniforms, I barely take my backpack to school, I wash and iron my uniforms everyday.
Before I forget, my dad is a busy man, he seldom comes home, he works and live in Lagos.

There was a time i went to visit my dad during one of the holidays, he was aware of my non seriousness in school, he advised me everyday I spent with him....the one he always says repeatedly still rings in my head till date, he said and I quote "We are in the computer age, so everything in this world will go digital, and it's only education that is the key to digital knowledge)... but I never heeded to any of his advice (I'll forever regret I didn't)

Amidst those days, a particular family member visited, and he talked about taking me with him down to the east to be an apprentice and also further my education for 4 years..Tilling and Plastering precisely.

My mom advised I should go with him as a good chance of being financially capable in the future. initially I refused point blank, but after much pleading from her I agreed.
Hence after my SS1 studies, I dropped out of my school.

When I got here in the east, I realized I was only here to be an apprentice nothing more, my master has no intention to take me to school (he and my mom actually came up with that just to take me far away from home, after all, I've never been serious with studies)...though I later realized it's all for my good.

4 years down the line after gone through so much struggles and pain, it was actually on this forum I've come to know two things

Firstly, Education is so important, it's a necessity
Secondly, Money must be made,money speaks a whole lot.

Now to my point, this past month completes my 4 years in apprenticeship and I've been thinking what step should I take now??

Two persons advised me concerning education in different forms

1 - A graduated friend told me to get education added that it's very important in the kind of work I do (saying it will help me alot in meeting people)

2 - My master advice I should study an engineer course for two years (because he loves architecture and would love one of his apprentice to be an engineer) he said he has worked with engineers and can assure me success.... coincidence, I remember I used to say as a pupil that when I grow up I'll be an engineer, interesting, Huh??

Now I am at cross roads..... in as much as I'd love to be educated (which I've vowed to) I am still thinking about finances cuz that's what led me into apprenticeship in the first place

Nigeria is so messed up that an average Nigerian would prefer money over education anyday anytime

Please good people of NL advise me on what step I should take now... I really need them

From your write up, I can deduce that you are truly an Intelligent person and it's not too late to learn anything.
I am currently studying Spanish just to be able to communicate with Spanish speakers anywhere I go. No knowledge goes to waste.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Reinah(f): 9:12pm On Dec 02, 2018
Wow.. You write so well for someone who stopped school at SS1..better than some graduates grin

You seem intelligent and desire to grow.

I'd advise you establish your skill first, get enough money from it, to see yourself through school and live well. These days, most graduates still come back to learning a skill and dumping their certificates but the "school" makes some difference.

So, please and please, see starting up your business now as your "small beginning", don't abandon it yet to go to school.

Don't borrow money to go to school, the university will always be there.. No age restriction (as far as I know). Believe in your heart that while formal education is good, it doesn't define your ability, doesn't determine your success. So you are good with or without " school". Underrating yourself because of this one thing won't be good.

Lastly, I'd suggest you study a professional course, something related or that can help your skill, something you can start up on your own and not that after every every, you will be looking for job.. I think Architecture is a good one! You can do part time or even full time while running your business on low key but I learnt Architecture is a tasking course sha..so you have to brainstorm. I know a man who had his first degree in Business Administration, he went for a second degree in History and International Relations and right now, he runs a custom bonded terminal, has trucks to and fro Apapa port and several other businesses. You can read up on what course can compliment your skill.

Pray to whatever or whoever you believe in for guidance too. Good luck on whatever you decide. Cheers! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by Sylver247: 9:12pm On Dec 02, 2018
Sylver247:
I'm coming back to you wait

OK so I'm back.

See bro, yes education is good I agree but what you want to acquire right now is mere certificate cos you have education already.

You have a skill and you can read and write perfectly. Thank God you are done with your apprenticeship, try to establish yourself first.

The mistake we make is thinking you can't amount to anything without certificate it's a lie. Many graduates are jobless and broke.

Establish yourself first and then go for part time education later.
Re: Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Advice On My Life Decision by VadoTheGreat(m): 1:26pm On Dec 03, 2018
OMG!...... Thank you all for the wonderful advises, I really can't express how I feel right now........ I got really flattered at some point.

I guess I know what to do now.

THANKS AGAIN! wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Drink To Burn The Love I Have For My Galfriend... / Question And Answer Time. Ask Your Favourite Nairalander Any Question. / Love Challenge!!! You Will Fall In Love After Watching This Girl Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.