Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections (2931 Views)

Gift Of 2 Jeeps Included In Buhari's Assets Declaration Form / Keyamo Speaks On Legal Implication Of President's Gift Of 2 Jeeps / Court: No Troops For Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Mamajama(m): 1:19pm On Apr 13, 2007
This is why we have security issues in Nigeria, the presidency purchased 1000 jeeps to monitor election. is the security of the people not as worthy as the election? why can't we keep this jeeps to help the police perform and respond better to crime sites?

The Nigeria Police Force yesterday commence the receipt of over one thousand various brands of jeeps meant for election operations.

This is coming as the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Maurice Iwu directed that all those with temporary voters should be allowed to vote at the April 14 Governorship and House of Assembly and the Presidential and National Assembly elections.

THISDAY gathered that under a special arrangement with Coscharis Motor Ltd, that the Police Equipment Fund in the Presidency supplied One Hundred pieces of BMW Jeeps, Eight Hundred units of Ford Jeeps and another One Hundred units of Land Rovers for the use of the Police in the forthcoming elections.
According to the source that disclosed this to THISDAY, the vehicles were imported at duty free rates and at factory prices.

The source said that the vehicles would be recovered from the Police after the elections and sold to the public in the same manner, government and Coscharis Motors recovered and sold BMW cars after the COJA games in 2003.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=75388
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by TOKUSA(f): 2:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
Yah right! Monitor election indeed!! Well I hope so with fingers crossed!!!

But wait a minute my brother, come to think of it o. Why in heavens name would they have to purchase JEEPS and then sell to the Public (their family members or themselves?) after election. You can imagine their low level of thinking due to lack of relevant years of experiences before assuming their various positions, even a high school student can decide better.

In my opinion, they would have used that money for 1000 JEEPS to buy 2x or 3x number of smaller cars to monitor elections as they said and let the Nigerian Police Force continue to use them for their security duties, Nigeria government is rich enough to be a role model in the area of national security in Africa at least, in which they have failed woefully below expectations for many years after the so called independence and we keep saying we don't want to compare ourselves to US or UK but at least we can start somewhere.

Anyway, never mind - I don't think they are ready to listen until they all fall victims due to lack of security then they will wake up individually by then it would be too late for them! Very SAD.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by tade2k2(m): 4:24pm On Apr 13, 2007
BMW & LANDROVER are both top of the range 4WD vehicles, and we the people are being made to believe that they were Imported for the use of the police during the elelections. If you look at the whole deal it stinks and it shows the level of leadership we are being subjected to. This is the second time that Coscharis would be given permision to import Hundreds of vehicles duty free.1st being COJA,show me a common man that benefitted from the sale and I will bet my life he is either a Top politiician or somebody close to one,who were the people that lost out ?- The common man. and we are told we have leaders ?. PLEASE NAIRALANDERS LET US PRAY FOR NIGERIA cry
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Mamajama(m): 4:34pm On Apr 13, 2007
This is one of the issue I have with the legislature in Nigeria, we can afford to purchase 1000 Vehicles for election, but

we can't afford to purchase well equipped vehicle for the police to discharge their duties? How do we expect a modern

day police without transportation and equipment? when will all this senators wake up and see that security is a crucial

part of any government. we have policemen without guns and yet we wasting and reallocation money for BMW. GOD please bless Nigeria and give us a leader with vision.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by One: 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2007
At least this move is better idea than the recent change in uniform. I think its a positive move to equip the police properly. Lord knows we need it in naija. But wait, what is this about resseling them after the election? undecided
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Mamajama(m): 5:11pm On Apr 13, 2007
Duh it was only purchase for the election and after election the presidency will collect the cars and sell to public so they say.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Saddam: 5:35pm On Apr 13, 2007
The Lagos state police commissioner Confirmed that the Jeeps are due to arrive today (Friday) and also He said they did not acquire new arms for the Election
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by romeo(m): 5:41pm On Apr 13, 2007
i would have said fine if they were Nissan 4x4 or some lesser Toyota jeep, but BMW, Range Rover and who knows the kind of model Ford-jeep smells stupidity on their part and i just wish the electorate will tell them no this time
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
the police never bought the jeeps, Coscharis imported them and loaned them to the police. the jeeps will be recovered from the police and sold to the public after the elections, in the same way it was done for the COJA games. Its not govt funds that were used to pay for the jeeps, the only caveat was that they were imported duty free and at factory prices.

so let the 'govt funds used for BMW jeeps' lamentations end.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Saddam: 6:09pm On Apr 13, 2007
debosky:

the police never bought the jeeps, Coscharis imported them and loaned them to the police. the jeeps will be recovered from the police and sold to the public after the elections, in the same way it was done for the COJA games. Its not govt funds that were used to pay for the jeeps, the only caveat was that they were imported duty free and at factory prices.

so let the 'govt funds used for BMW jeeps' lamentations end.

Are u a Coscharis Staff? Or a police personnel? How come u just conclude give us ur Source
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by romeo(m): 6:12pm On Apr 13, 2007
yeah the source shocked shocked shocked
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by debosky(m): 6:14pm On Apr 13, 2007
the information is in the original source given by mamajama, if you bothered to read it.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by romeo(m): 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2007
mamajama could've said all
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by akara(m): 7:00pm On Apr 13, 2007
grin

Score:
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by akara(m): 7:01pm On Apr 13, 2007
Choscharis 1: Masses 0
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by kattie(f): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2007
It is not an issue of 1000 jeeps.
we want protection there is too much violence
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by samsilo(m): 9:22pm On Apr 13, 2007
If this is true, it shows the type of foolishness that will not allow Nigeria to progress.Even if the cars are being "loaned" to the police for the elections.The mere fact that they are imported duty free is a fraud.For vehicles like these the import duty I believe is 50% of the price or more.Even if these vehicles are damaged (trust police drivers) the importer will not loose out.the second added benefit is the cars will be sold to BABA's friends and associates (PDP).
Bottomline- selfish and ignorant people in government.
I am sorry to say ,except we get leaders with vision who are not selfish ,the price of oil can rise to $200 a barrel and things will remain the same.
Thats why I checked out!
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by tade2k2(m): 11:08pm On Apr 13, 2007
Samsilo you got the point ,the fact that an arrangement to bring them in duty free was even made is a fraud, for over 20 years I thot Nigeria would change and I tried my best to contribute in my own little way to a better society,but deals like this made me realise I was fighting a lost battle hence my decision to relocate out of Nigeria for good.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by debosky(m): 11:12pm On Apr 13, 2007
fraud to who? is it not open/common knowledge? A private firm helping the govt render services. all you naysayers will never quit.

maybe you are the one paying the salaries of the Coscharis employees. whoever wants to buy the jeeps after the exercise is free to do so, be it Obj's friends or Mama Rita's friends.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by samsilo(m): 1:19am On Apr 14, 2007
Debosky do you know it was 200 hundred years ago the whites decided to stop buying and selling Africans as slaves mostly because it was uneconomical .They were able to carry on this trade because of the ignorance of Africans.
We need to get educated ,this forum is too small but i will try. Where are these cars made, how expensive are the spare parts?How do governments raise money(tax , custom duties .not only oil revenues). Which country even the richest ones arbitrarily waive custom duties or fall for such gimmicks.
Here in London you go to shops and they say today this thing is buy one get one free, this is simple marketing strategy,you will always pay for other thing apart from the buy one get one free that brought you to the store.
To cut the story short the fraud is carried out against Nigeria by the car manufacturers using Coscharis as an agent.
But in the spirit of fake drug manufacturers, OO BUSINESS Ko Bu. grin
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by debosky(m): 4:10am On Apr 14, 2007
fraud by car makers? please come up with another story. 1,000 cars? even in canada with 30million people they sell 150,000 in a month. the manufacturers could care less, they'll sell their cars anyway who cares who buys them?

so its the duty that we make from importing 1,000 cars that runs the nation? next story please

y'all need to stop with all this conspiracy theory thingy, if coscharis wants to sell cars and help the Nigerian police while at it, i dont really give a damn, as long as the jeeps help organise a successful election, thats all that matters.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Agboola1(m): 8:21am On Apr 14, 2007
If u guys understand politics very well you should know that these jeeps are purchased to compensate themselves for their retirement benefits, mark my words, these jeeps will end up at the backyards of OBJ's men just the way COJA cars did. COJA cars were sold @ 50% to who knows who. Now can some1 tell me how much was paid to lease these jeeps to coscharis, when was it paid and who handles the reselling?

i wonder why they cant use this opportunity to acquire good permanent vehicles for the police? i hope their new guns will not be collected and resold to the public too?

Naija!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by samsilo(m): 11:48am On Apr 14, 2007
This is what I mean ,when you talk of Canada, little drops of water make a mighty ocean. 1000 cars is not much,in Britain the police use 5 series BMWs, Mercedes,Range Rover ,Jaguars etc but the budget for the Metropolitan police force is about 12billion pounds per year($21 billion). Compare that with our famous national reserve of $40 billion.
It is this attitude of it is not much that breeds corruption and waste in Nigeria,have you ever seen a mob in action. Every body just wants to give the thief only one slap and the guy ends up dead from many one slaps.
Many of this kinds of decisions are what keeps our dear country on its knees because the inderlying reason is personal gain not the public good.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Mamajama(m): 1:36pm On Apr 14, 2007
NEW DEVELOPMENT

Obasanjo spends N12b on police patrol vehicles

Abuja — The Presidential committee on Police equipment, weekend displayed the first batch of about 25, 000 “patrol vehicles” to be presented to the Police by President Olusegun Obasanjo monday, ahead of the Presidential elections.

The BMW, Ford patrol jeeps and 4-wheel-drive trucks, imported into the Country a few days ago, are to be presented to men of the force, by President Obasanjo and the Inspector-General of police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero.

The National Coordinator of the Police Equipment Fund (PEF), Mr. Kenny Martins, told journalists that “the investigation trucks, which were bought at the minimum of N5million each, cost a total of N12billion”

Mr. Martins who is the National Secretary of the National Democratic Party (NDP), but also working for the PDP Presidential candidate Umar Musa Yar’Adua, told journalists that “the patrol vehicles would go round the 36 states of the Federation”
Martins doused the fears of Nigerians that the vehicles would end up as “private property of some top government people.”

“These cars are not going to end up with anybody, they are for the police” he clarified.
The NDP chieftain, said “Every vehicle that is here will eventually be tracked in the tracker system, so that they will not be diverted for private use”

He said the Presidency in making the purchases, “dealt with reputable brands like Ford, BMW, Rover, and Toyota and 15% of the vehicle parts came with the cars, and you know that the parts wouldn’t be a problem, because most of the parts can be found here” said he.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Agboola1(m): 7:58am On Apr 15, 2007
Obasanjo spends N12b on police patrol vehicles
Abuja — The Presidential committee on Police equipment, weekend displayed the first batch of about 25, 000 “patrol vehicles” to be presented , Vanguard

u cant trust these people
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by bodsibobo(m): 10:05am On Apr 15, 2007
Why dem no buy 1000 Hummer Jeeps sef?
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by dblock(m): 10:18am On Apr 15, 2007
That's a great idea, naija police will be the most pimped in the world. Who cares about crime and corruption, the police should get H2 Hummers cheesy
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by Mamajama(m): 2:50pm On Apr 15, 2007
This is transformation. we are trying to give Nigeria a modern day police, professional, well dress and well equipped. people should praise the presidential committee and stop been pessimistic
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by dblock(m): 2:59pm On Apr 15, 2007
Naija police need more stuff like this cheesy
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by bodsibobo(m): 5:19pm On Apr 16, 2007
this one no be 'black maria', na 'white maria'.
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by lewa(m): 10:24pm On Apr 16, 2007
The National Coordinator of the Police Equipment Fund (PEF), Mr. Kenny Martins, told journalists that “the investigation trucks, which were bought at the minimum of N5million each, cost a total of N12billion”
Re: Police Get 1000 Jeeps For Elections by lewa(m): 10:31pm On Apr 16, 2007
Kenny Martins of the ABN~Association for Better Nigeria fame?I hope not
Anyways my grand-pa's pensions have not been paid,ASUU imbroglio is still simmering:power supply,adequate health care etc yet money is wasted on patrol trucks to help facilate quick get aways during rigging!
Civil servants are been retenched in the name of civil service reforms,sacked without no due reason,however jeeps are being bought for election patrol!The N/D is still a hotspot;people without basic infrastructure,yet money is being wasted on jeeps.Do you knowhow many people can start a trsde with the money expended on those vehicles,jamb/neco forms that could be bought;school fees that colud be paid?
This is just sickening;when would this end?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Carol Night That Broke The Guiness World Book Of Record / Lagosians: What Hardships Do You Face In Your Locality? / Council Of State Okays Rejig Of Security System .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.