Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,289 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write (15097 Views)

15-Year-Old Kenyan Student Commits Suicide In Classroom, Leaves Suicide Note / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write / Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by easynetsms(m): 12:06pm On Dec 03, 2018
At least that will b one her achievement on earth

Buy cheap internet data plan.. Check my profile for more details
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by boujeeassnigga(m): 12:07pm On Dec 03, 2018
Write to learn what? or learn to write what? or what to learn write? or what to write learn?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by kennyjam: 12:07pm On Dec 03, 2018
ok
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Pamtoye(m): 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2018
Me wey i old pass d woman still dey go skool sef.... Talk less of her!!
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by edunwanna: 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2018
95? I can't believe this
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by lapo(m): 12:11pm On Dec 03, 2018
At least she will be able to tell the world in writing her life story especially why she didn't get educated until now.
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Hoodbilonia: 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
maybe they have beem cheating her
both in westee and other wise
mama don street
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by dometome: 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
with this she will add at least 10 years to her life span

2 Likes

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by okwabayi(m): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
My grandma at 90 says she regrets not going to school. She was a little girl when colonial masters entered my village and set up missionary schools. She saw some of her mates attend these school but personally refused to learn as she said the white teachers took fun in caning black children. Being an only child she had her way quick and easy when convincing her parents. It was during early adult years she started regretting her childhood decision as her then mates became well versed in English speaking and writing in addition to their original mother tongue. Those ones quickly left the village for greener pastures while she got married off at age sixteen.

In reference to the story I don't see the point learning to read and write at such age. If one already lived life and birthed two generations what else should the person live for?

1 Like

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2018
That's the spirit. It's never too late to learn anything. Thumbs up to and for her.

HeyCorleone:
This is futile.

Any one praising this is just being unrealistic.

In saner climes such a woman would be resting with her great-grandchildren. Not wasting time acquiring what you have no need for.

Africa is just different.
In a saner climate, if she wishes to learn to read and write, the provisions would be made available for her to do just that.

1 Like

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by denjluk: 12:39pm On Dec 03, 2018
Maybe mama Don c angles going to school in heaven,
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Maxi3k(m): 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2018
This is bullshit, when I am 95 i will be smoking weed till I blackout YOLO
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Pruwa: 12:49pm On Dec 03, 2018
LordSaints:
but in her youth she was jumping from dick to dick . She's just a waste of fresh air.

Do you know the true story-her struggles and the background
Don't type if u don't!!!

1 Like

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by vioment: 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2018
Mama just wan active mentally and physically. May God continue to bless mama for me.
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by wink2015(m): 1:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
mediaNGR:
A Kenyan woman believed to be 95 years old has made news headlines after she was photographed in school wearing a school uniform.

Chebelina Mukomuga estimates that she was born in 1923, according to Wanjiku Kinuthia, the Communication Officer at Lewa Wildlife, Kenya.

Chebelina registered for adult education with a number of other elderly Kenyan women but she's the oldest in her class and seems keen to learn, not minding her age.

Source: https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/12/95-year-old-woman-enrolls-in-school-to.html

THIS GRAND MAMA COULD ENTER THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS.

Nice one!
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 03, 2018
Earthbound:
She botched the second equation but if I'm the teacher, I'll score her 2/2 for effort.

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Mizwisdom(f): 1:46pm On Dec 03, 2018
I just love Africa. Mama at 95, still strong with sharp brain
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by AnuliKay: 1:48pm On Dec 03, 2018
Never too old to learn. Impressive.

South Africans are quite angry after the Global Citizen Festival:

Yesterday, the Global Citizen Festival held at the FNB Stadium in Johanesburg, South Africa. It featured a ton of African and Global Superstars including Beyonce and her husband, Jay Z. Hosted by Bonang Matheba, and well attended by celebrities across the world, it was a great event.

Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. It is disheartening to note that after such an amazing event, disaster struck. According to reports, the South African police were busy safeguarding the bigwigs and exposed thousands of attendees to mayhem.

Read more: https://kaynuli.com/south-africans-are-quite-angry-after-the-global-citizen-festival/

Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Bimpe29: 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2018
It's too late grandmother.
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by Hassan88(m): 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2018
LordSaints:
Old woman wey don reach to die undecided now this old cargo one just waste person money all this old cargo self *spit*

U are a fool. Is it your money?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by TheCongo2: 3:19pm On Dec 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:
This is futile.

Any one praising this is just being unrealistic.

In saner climes such a woman would be resting with her great-grandchildren. Not wasting time acquiring what you have no need for.

Africa is just different.

So what would be realistic for an elderly? Drinking? Doing nothing?
Don't you see her action as an inspiration?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by HeyCorleone(m): 3:22pm On Dec 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

So what would be realistic for an elderly? Drinking? Doing nothing?
Don't you see her action as an inspiration?

Inspiration to do what exactly?

If it was a woman in her 60s or 70s, I'd hear.

But for someone a few years shy away from 100, what could she possibly need it for?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by TheCongo2: 3:24pm On Dec 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:

Inspiration to do what exactly?

If it was a woman in her 60s or 70s, I'd hear.

But for someone a few years shy away from 100, what could she possibly need it for?

Are you suggesting that someone of her age shouldn't even think of learning something?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by HeyCorleone(m): 3:50pm On Dec 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

Are you suggesting that someone of her age shouldn't even think of learning something?

No. Not at all.

But certainly not formal education. It's of no use, of a truth.
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by TheCongo2: 4:14pm On Dec 03, 2018
HeyCorleone:

No. Not at all.

But certainly not formal education. It's of no use, of a truth.

But then again to each his own. If an elderly decides to go to school, who are we to prevent her from doing that?
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by incomeboostng: 7:34am On Dec 04, 2018
shocked mama d mama
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by incomeboostng: 7:36am On Dec 04, 2018
servercodes001:
Mama Wettin you wan learn abeg!!
There is something to learn everyday wink
Re: 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write by asalimpo(m): 11:45pm On Jan 28, 2019
Richdad50:
There is something about dying fulfilled. Its not in what she stands to use the reading and writing for, but in dying peacefully knowing that she achieved something that meant alot to her. The latter days of a man's life is usually full of regrets. Pursue your goals and fulfill your dreams. Climb the Hills and chase your Stars. In so doing, dying will come with a smile.

#Richdadnuggets
i had argumnt with some students who were saying some ppl who enrolled in an undergraduate program were too old and therefore their effort was going to b a waste since they wont "use it" i.e the cert. I told them they'd b fulfilled getting it and that fulfillmnt makes it worth it. I was like pouring water on a duck's back. The nigerian society is terribly ageistic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NOUN Released Her 2019 E-exam Timetable. Download It HERE / Waec 2015 Results Out!!!! *check Here* / UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.