Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,247 members, 7,818,840 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas (2051 Views)

Words On Marble / The Incorrect And Futile Tawassul (means Of Nearness To Allaah) And Its Types / 5 Common Mistakes When Dealing With Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 11:23am On Dec 03, 2018
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته يا إخوان و اخوات في الدين
All praise be to Almighty ALLāh, the giver and taker of life, the one who is capable of doing all things. We praise Him, we thank Him and we seek forgiveness of our shortcomings from Him. We send blessings and salutations upon our dear and beloved prophet, Muhammad Ibn AbduLLahi, (sollaLLahu alaihi wasalam) may ALLāh extend the salutations and blessings upon his household, his companions and those who followed his path of goodness till the day of judgement.
We thank ALLāh for his favour of Islam he bestowed on us, and we pray ALLāh continue to make us steadfast upon the Deen and the sunnah of His messenger (sollaLLahu alaihi wasalam). We all know the only religion with ALLāh is Islam and as Muslimeen, we have been promised by ALLāh in many verses of the Noble Quran that those who believe and do righteous deed are the best of creations and promised Jannah.
إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَعَمِلُوا۟ ٱلصَّٰلِحَٰتِ أُو۟لَٰٓئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ ٱلْبَرِيَّةِ
Indeed, they who have believed and done righteous deeds - those are the best of creatures.
Al-Bayyinah 98:7.

And ALLāh says,
إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَعَمِلُوا۟ ٱلصَّٰلِحَٰتِ لَهُمْ جَنَّٰتُ ٱلنَّعِيمِ
Indeed, those who believe and do righteous deeds - for them are the Gardens of Pleasure.
Luqman 31:8

From the deeds of righteousness or good deeds is speaking good and the truth.
يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ ٱتَّقُوا۟ ٱللَّهَ وَقُولُوا۟ قَوْلًا سَدِيدًا
O you who have believed, fear Allah and speak words of appropriate justice.
Al-Ahzab 33:70

The prophet (sollaLLahu alaihi wasalam) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak good word or remain silent.
(sahih Al Bukhari).

As Muslims, we try as much as possible to do good coupled with our belief in monotheism and tawheed. Unfortunately, some Muslims from the Yorubas speak some words that are contrary to the teachings of Islam unknowingly. These words are said in our day to day interactions without knowing the implications. In worst cases, some not only say those words but believe them as well. Every word we speak from our mouth are taken into our record and as such, it is necessary for us to choose the best of words for our speech and know it's implications.
“He does not utter a statement except that there is an observer by him ready to record it.”
(Quran 50 : 18)

The Prophet said: “A man might speak a word without thinking about its implications, but because of it, he will plunge into the Hellfire further than the distance between the east and west.
(sahih Al Bukhari and Muslim).

Common Yoruba sayings that are untrue
1. Aje a wa o or Aje a gbe wa o (meaning you shall sell),
This is a very common sayings among the business men and women, they are said in form of prayer which translates to You shall sell. Unfortunately, only few people know the concept or origin of the word "aje". Some said it means money or wealth but this is far from truth because this are latter meaning as a result of degeneration of Language or cultural loss. Aje in quotes is a god of wealth believed by the Yorubas to be a deity in charge of providing wealth and market sales for humans. If you asked the old people who understands the origin of Yoruba words, they will tell you this. That is why it is used as a prayer that "Aje a bu igba je o" or " Aje a wa o. Why not say "Owo a wa o" if truly Aje means wealth.
It is very clear that Aje was something prayed to and as such people seek it's favour. As Muslims who believe in ALLāh and His oneness, it is wrong, in fact shirk to believe that there is a god aside ALLāh that can help mankind either in sales or other matters of life. Muslims don't believe in Aje nor his power to grant wealth and as such, such language should be eradicated from our heart and mouth. As a Muslim business man or woman, if you want to pray for someone for sales, rather say Olohun a je ki e ta o (meaning may ALLāh makes you sell) or Olohun a mu ata Jere Wa o (meaning may ALLāh bring profitable sales). Let desist from the use of word Aje because we don't believe in it.

2. Aisan ti ko gboogun (meaning disease that has no cure)
Another common saying is referring to some sickness or diseases as incurable, such as HIV AIDS. The reason why they refer to such disease as incurable is because scientists are yet to find its cure. This is another contradicting statement to the teachings of Islam.
Prophet Muhammad (sollaLLahu alaihi wasalam) said "There is no disease that Allah has created, except that He also has created its remedy.”
Bukhari 7582

Usamah ibn Shuraik narrated: “… ‘O Allah’s Messenger! Should we seek medical treatment for our illnesses?’ He replied: ‘Yes, you should seek medical treatment, because Allah, the Exalted, has let no disease exist without providing for its cure, except for one ailment, namely, old age’.”
Tirmidhi
Saying Aisan ti ko gboogun (meaning: disease/sickness that has no cure) is meaning two things, it's either you are saying that ALLāh didn't create such diseases and was created by something else or it means you are saying the prophet was lying, (I seek refuge from ALLāh against shaitan). It is better to say Aisan ti ko ti so ogun e (meaning, diseases that it's cute is yet to be found). ALLāhu a'alam.

3. Eleda mi ma sun (my creator don't sleep about my matter)
One of the most dangerous and silent statement amongst the Yoruba is this "Eleda mi ma sun". Is there any Eleda aside the creator of the whole universe which is ALLāh? Absolutely NO!!!!. It is wrong, blasphemous and derogatory to use such statement for ALLāh subhanahu wa ta'ala. In Quran chapter 2 Vs 255 which is a very powerful verse in the Quran, ALLāh clearly stated in that verse that HE neither slumbers nor sleep.
ٱللَّهُ لَآ إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ ٱلْحَىُّ ٱلْقَيُّومُۚ لَا تَأْخُذُهُۥ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌۚ لَّهُۥ مَا فِى ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَمَا فِى ٱلْأَرْضِۗ مَن ذَا ٱلَّذِى يَشْفَعُ عِندَهُۥٓ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِهِۦۚ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْۖ وَلَا يُحِيطُونَ بِشَىْءٍ مِّنْ عِلْمِهِۦٓ إِلَّا بِمَا شَآءَۚ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضَۖ وَلَا يَـُٔودُهُۥ حِفْظُهُمَاۚ وَهُوَ ٱلْعَلِىُّ ٱلْعَظِيمُ
Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
Al-Baqarah 2:255
How can a Muslim in his right senses say such grievous statement about ALLāh. Most of the time such statement is used are when one is struck by a calamity or hears a good news of someone else. Islam is a complete way of life which has taught us how to respond to these two events both in statements and action. Pls stop saying Eleda mi ma sun, it is a derogatory statement because saying it means you are attributing the quality of "sleeping " to ALLāh who never sleep.

4. Olohun ma gbagbe mi (meaning, ALLāh, don't forget me)
This is another clear bad statement about our creator. This is usually said when one's prayer isn't answering on time. ALLāh is free from all forms of imperfections. It is from the imperfections of man that he forgets about some things in the matters of this world. ALLāh the most wise and the all knowing is free from this quality. ALLāh never forgets, not even the prayer you prayed 20 years ago. ALLāh knows which, when and where to answer every dua. If our prayer isn't answering, firstly check yourself, secondly be patient, thirdly, know that ALLāh alone knows which, when and where to answer any dua. It is not from a responsible statement to say to his creator "Don't forget me". Saying such amounts to attributing "forgetfulness" to ALLāh subhanahu wa ta'ala who is completely devoid of such quality. May ALLāh grant us good understanding of the Deen.
وَمَا نَتَنَزَّلُ إِلَّا بِأَمْرِ رَبِّكَۖ لَهُۥ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِينَا وَمَا خَلْفَنَا وَمَا بَيْنَ ذَٰلِكَۚ وَمَا كَانَ رَبُّكَ نَسِيًّا
[Gabriel said], "And we [angels] descend not except by the order of your Lord. To Him belongs that before us and that behind us and what is in between. And never is your Lord forgetful -
Maryam 19:64

Number 5 will shock many Muslims.

5. Mo fe lo kirun (I want to go perform solat)
Like I said many Muslims will be shocked as to what is wrong with this statement since it is what we say everyday. Anyways, this point is subject to argument and correction if valid and convincing evidence are provided to refute it.
Irun has been used from time immemorial to replace the word solat. To understand this point, we need to understand how the word irun comes into existence. When Islam came into Yoruba land, there was no word for solat (obviously Arabic language), but people (the non Muslims of the then) noticed that the Muslims were facing where the sun rises from. So they tagged the Muslims then as people who are going to ki orun(meaning: worship sun), so much so that when they see the Muslims going to pray, the non Muslims will ask where are these people going, others (also non Muslim) will reply them that "won fe lo ki orun (meaning: they want to go and worship the sun).
Obviously, it was ki orun that is kirun for vowelic harmony, ( as we all know that when two vowels from different words follows each other, one will assimilate the other), that was how kirun was generated from the earliest Muslims of yorubaland and till this day, we use the word kirun for going to perform solat.
As a true Muslim who strongly believes and affirm monotheism, it is obvious we don't worship sun, moon nor star, but we worship the one who created them.
وَمِنْ ءَايَٰتِهِ ٱلَّيْلُ وَٱلنَّهَارُ وَٱلشَّمْسُ وَٱلْقَمَرُۚ لَا تَسْجُدُوا۟ لِلشَّمْسِ وَلَا لِلْقَمَرِ وَٱسْجُدُوا۟ لِلَّهِ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَهُنَّ إِن كُنتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ
And of His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or to the moon, but prostate to Allah, who created them, if it should be Him that you worship.
Fussilat 41:37.
In view of the above point, it is wrong to say mo fe lo kirun or mo lo kirun (meaning: I want to go and pray or I went to pray), rather say, mo lo se solat tabi mo fe lo se solat (meaning: I want to go and perform solat or I went to perform solat) or mo fe lo se ijosin (meaning : I want to go and worship)

These and many more are the hidden bad statement we utter everyday, we utter many statement such that if we are to dissect the meaning, we will keep asking forgiveness every second. This is an advice to my fellow Muslims starting from myself, to know the implications of the choice of words we choose to convey our speech.

May ALLāh forgive our shortcomings and grant us good understanding of the Deen.

سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك أشهد أن لا إله إلا أنت أستغفرك وأتوب إليك

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Abdulhakeem Ibn Mohammed Abu Sakeenatul Qulub

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Demmzy15(m): 11:54am On Dec 03, 2018
JazakAllaahu Khairan, just watch how Sufis would jump into the thread now. I'm already perceiving Empiree body odor sef grin grin

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 03, 2018
As for the number five, we will need more proof to buttress the fact that the non Muslims of that time used to describe our method of worship the way you've said. I ask for this because, the way we pronounce "orun" is different from the "run" in "irun" because just metamorphosing ki and orun together can't change the intonation of the "run" just as how the "so(gotten from aso)" in "foso"(to wash) didn't get changed because of metamorphosing, same can be said with the word " aimokan" metamorphosed from "ai mo nkan" which none of it's syllabic sound changed. So I'm curious to know why the "run" in irun changed from the intonation of "run" in orun if truly it stands for sun.

Note I've not said what was written is wrong I only need convincing proofs to show the non Muslims of that time used to describe our method of worship the way you've said.

3 Likes

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Rashduct4luv(m): 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2018
Isunki ati aranmo ede wa Yoruba!

Bi apeere:

Opopo ona=Opopona

Eba oke=Ebake

Eti odo=Etido

Omo oba=Omoba

Ewe obe=Ewebe

Ewe oko=Eweko

Erin ile=Erinle

Ki Irun= Kirun

Ki Orun= Korun
You can study the patterns!

Emi ko faramo Nomba 5 yin yen OP! Afi ti eba le mu eri mi wa gegebi Alfa Kabir se so.

And from what i heard, it was one foremost Hausa-Muslim that thought so! And wrongly so!
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 03, 2018
I think the "run" there refers to orun "sky" ki orun...
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 2:13pm On Dec 03, 2018
Lááró kùtù ójó ájé, you no get work to do?.

No. 5 is my only concern

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 7:16pm On Dec 03, 2018
Empiree:
No. 5 is my only concern
Like I said earlier, it is subject to refutation with convincing evidence.
Argue with facts or evidences.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:

Like I said earlier, it is subject to refutation with convincing evidence.

Argue with facts or evidences.
what's Yoruba single word for salat and does Allah have problem with local language?.

Salat is irun kíkí. Oorun kó. Orun ni cheesy
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2018
Empiree:
what's Yoruba single word for salat and does Allah have problem with local language?.

Salat is irun kíkí. Oorun kó. Orun ni cheesy

it is not about local language, it is about the origin. If it negates tawheed, we don't take it even if it is Arabic language. Ogun, Oya, obatala are local languages too. Argue with facts.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:

it is not about local language, it is about the origin. If it negates tawheed, we don't take it even if it is Arabic language. Ogun, Oya, obatala are local languages too. Argue with facts.
shaking my head. Irun kiki is what it is. Nothing negates tawhid. Ya just wanna have something to criticize. It is the same with sujud. There is no single english word for sujud but english translation of meaning of the Quran is misconstrued for ruku(prostration or bowing). They used the same for sujud which is false. Sujud is iforibale/iforikanle which Allah and His messanger(saw) forbade us. But today, our brothers said "dont prostrate to greet parents" forgetting that english have no word for sujud.

So irun is salat in yoruba language and it has nothing to do with negating tawheed. If you wanna talk about "imale" which is coined from "imo lile" to mock muslims back in the days in reference to difficulties studying arabic or keu. If you live in the West however, it is common amongst muslims even reverts to say "let's go and offer salat bcus thats how they are trained. And once in a while they use "prayers". So prayer is salat in english while irun kiki is yoruba language. Respect your local language my friend and stop giving yourself headache trying to figure out something.

Yoruba so pe, eni ba wa iwakuwa ari irikuri. So keep looking for background meaning of irun and translate it to orun(sun). Thats your definition not me.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 10:13pm On Dec 03, 2018
Empiree:
shaking my head. Irun kiki is what it is. Nothing negates tawhid. Ya just wanna have something to criticize. It is the same with sujud. There is no single english word for sujud but english translation of meaning of the Quran is misconstrued for ruku(prostration or bowing). They used the same for sujud which is false. Sujud is iforibale/iforikanle which Allah and His messanger(saw) forbade us. But today, our brothers said "dont prostrate to greet parents" forgetting that english have no word for sujud.

So irun is salat in yoruba language and it has nothing to do with negating tawheed. If you wanna talk about "imale" which is coined from "imo lile" to mock muslims back in the days in reference to difficulties studying arabic or keu. If you live in the West however, it is common amongst muslims even reverts to say "let's go and offer salat bcus thats how they are trained. And once in a while they use "prayers". So prayer is salat in english while irun kiki is yoruba language. Respect your local language my friend and stop giving yourself headache trying to figure out something.

Yoruba so pe, eni ba wa iwakuwa ari irikuri. So keep looking for background meaning of irun and translate it to orun(sun). Thats your definition not me.

Lolzzzzz, you are always funny as you are. If this iwakuwa, then keep on swimming in the pool of ignorance. Am trying to explain words which have islamically incorrect background or might have originated from shirk, you are there swallowing everything that comes ur way, no wonder. Imale wasn't coined from imo lile, it was coined from esin maale, (meaning religion that comes from Maali), go and consult your elders before you come online tintype nonsense, not esin lile.
This isn't about disrespecting language, Lolzzz, this is about Yoruba use of language that contradicts Islamic teaching.

I thought you would also refute number one to four of my post cos it is also disrespecting language na, shiior.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:

Lolzzzzz, you are always funny as you are. If this iwakuwa, then keep on swimming in the pool of ignorance. Am trying to explain words which have islamically incorrect background or might have originated from shirk, you are there swallowing everything that comes ur way, no wonder. Imale wasn't coined from imo lile, it was coined from esin maale, (meaning religion that comes from Maali), go and consult your elders before you come online tintype nonsense, not esin lile.
This isn't about disrespecting language, Lolzzz, this is about Yoruba use of language that contradicts Islamic teaching.

I thought you would also refute number one to four of my post cos it is also disrespecting language na, shiior.
oya then, refute yourself on irún since it is derived from "shirk". So far, what you copied is not convincing. The terminology is off.

Yes, imale might originally derived from "maali" according to other source (s). I have heard that in the past. But the people who mocked Muslims back in the days coined the terminology from "imo lile" hard knowledge. I grew up with this. People used to say keu studies was hard. This meaning appears to be restricted to non-Muslim Yoruba.

In this thread, it was briefly discussed which means there exist same definition i just gave. https://www.nairaland.com/108710/why-did-yoruba-people-call
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by tintingz(m): 12:08am On Dec 04, 2018
Lol, ignorant OP.

Aje is God of wealth but you don't know Olorun is the sky or heavenly God in Yoruba pantheon which yoruba muslims and Christians used in calling thier deity.

If you think Olorun is the same as Allah then you're ignorant of Yoruba traditional religion and origin.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Nobody: 3:52am On Dec 04, 2018
Empiree:

Pure ignorance coming from you! Its amazing how you confidently say things with ignorance! Sujud is not only placing the head on the ground, it could also mean going for ruku' and it could also mean going for what is lesser than ruku, I mean just bending your head down a bit and even baba Aadam Al-ilory rahimahullaah also said the same thing in his book "at-tawaadu' fil islaam"

Let me give you one proof from the Qur'an that shows sujud can also have the meaning of ruku

Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 58:
وَإِذْ قُلْنَا ادْخُلُوا هَٰذِهِ الْقَرْيَةَ فَكُلُوا مِنْهَا حَيْثُ شِئْتُمْ رَغَدًا وَادْخُلُوا الْبَابَ سُجَّدًا وَقُولُوا حِطَّةٌ نَّغْفِرْ لَكُمْ خَطَايَاكُمْ وَسَنَزِيدُ الْمُحْسِنِينَ

And (remember) when We said: "Enter this town (Jerusalem) and eat bountifully whatever you wish and enter through the gates "sujjadan" and say: 'Forgive us,' and We shall forgive you your sins and shall increase (reward) for the good-doers."

Pls tell us how the enter through the gates while placing their heads on the ground, if not by entering through ruku?

Ibn Abbas said in the tafsir of this ayah that "sujjadan means rukk'an" that "while in sujud means while in ruku'"

So the words can be used interchangeably!

Baba Aadam Al-ilory said in the aforementioned book in the chapter of:

تحريم السجود لغير الله

"prohibition of prostrating for other than Allaah"

أما السجود لغير الله فهو حرام وكفر بدون تاويل قال الراغب والجوهرى والرازي والفيمي وجميع علماء اللغة ان السجود معناه

As for prostration for other than Allaah, it is haraam and disbelief without any twisting, ar-raagib,al-jawhariy, ar-raaziy and other scholars of Arabic language say that the meaning of "sujood" is

الخضوع والتذلل والتطامن والبروك والركوع وقال أبو حنيفة يقوم الركوع مقام السجود حملا على قوله تعالى وخر راكعا وأناب

Submissiveness, debasement, humility, kneeling and ruku. And Abu hanifah said ruku can stand in place of sujood using the word of Allaah(translated assmiley "And he fell down in prostration and repented" (suratul saad).

وقال الفاهاشم الفلاتي فى الأجوبة الهاشمية ان الانحناء القاصر عن الركوع للسلام والركوع حرام والجلوس بدعة والسجود كفر

Al-faahaashim Al-falaatiy said in "al-ajwibah al-haashimiyyah" that bending a bit that is not up to ruku' for making salaam and ruku' is haraam, (he then said that) sitting(to make salaam) is a bidah and sujood(for other than Allaah)is disbelief.

2 Likes

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 7:27am On Dec 04, 2018
Empiree:
oya then, refute yourself on irún since it is derived from "shirk". So far, what you copied is not convincing. The terminology is off.

Yes, imale might originally derived from "maali" according to other source (s). I have heard that in the past. But the people who mocked Muslims back in the days coined the terminology from "imo lile" hard knowledge. I grew up with this. People used to say keu studies was hard. This meaning appears to be restricted to non-Muslim Yoruba.

In this thread, it was briefly discussed which means there exist same definition i just gave. https://www.nairaland.com/108710/why-did-yoruba-people-call

do someone refute his self, funny. I have given the explanation as it appears to me with regards to irun Kiki, that is what appears to be true to me, in reality it may be true or wrong, and that's why I made it clear in my post that the point is subject to refutation with convincing evidences. But without clear evidence, whether it is real or not about the origin of irun Kiki, I say ALLāhu a'alam, but I would rather take a safe side by distancing from it and use another word for it.

Yea, imo lile was coined by those who mocked Islam, you are right. Maale itself is from esin maale (Mali).
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 12:50pm On Dec 04, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:

do someone refute his self, funny. I have given the explanation as it appears to me with regards to irun Kiki, that is what appears to be true to me, in reality it may be true or wrong, and that's why I made it clear in my post that the point is subject to refutation with convincing evidences. But without clear evidence, whether it is real or not about the origin of irun Kiki, I say ALLāhu a'alam, but I would rather take a safe side by distancing from it and use another word for it.

Yea, imo lile was coined by those who mocked Islam, you are right. Maale itself is from esin maale (Mali).
so you knew bolded part and you lomi lofun? Smh.

Anyways, your so called explaination is not evidence in itself. Your write-up is base on your own nafs, not reality. What you coined is off the limit. Your terminology is wack.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2018
Please Read !

ADAGBA JE RAUFU .......................

In case you wish to know the Event that led to the popular Yoruba say, "ÀDÀGBÀ JÉ RÀÚFÙ"

The phrase is not complete, historically, the meaning is .....
"Àdàgbà jé Ràúfù, ó sàn ju Ògúndèyí bá n múgbáwá (or ahá)".....

Meaning.... "To Change ones Name at late age is better than Ogundeyi serve us with Palmwine....aha is a small calabash in form of Cup used in serving or drinking palmwine.

There was a Man called Ogundeyi, he was like a bar man in one of Yoruba King's palace. His duty was to serve King's guests everyday.

One day an itinerary preacher came to their town and Ogundeyi got converted to Islam. The Scholar gave him AbdurRauf based on the circumstances of his conversion.... But in the olden days, the Name was better called Ràúfú.

Ràúfú decided to follow the Scholar on dawaah outing that lasted for months....

On his return to the town, Ogundeyi (now Raufu) shunned his job of Service Man at the Palace claiming Islam abhors drinking of intoxicants. He became subject of discussion, taunting, abuse, name calling and jesting.....

One of it is ....Adagba je Raufu. That is, at old age, you suddenly realized the need for Raufu instead of Ogundeyi based on religious belief.

But, an event that Changed the narrative was a drought they experienced in the town . There was no rainfall for years, and all the Idols were appeased to no success... Then, Ogundeyi went to the King to inform of a Prayer he learned through his Alfa that can bring rain ( Solatul Istisqai).

The King in dire need of a way-out of the drought agreed to Ogundeyi's suggestion.

The whole populace gathered at the outskirt of the town to observe the Solat led by Ogundeyi or Raufu. They hardly finished the solat and there was a heavy downpour to the admiration of the people.

Ogundeyi was revered as they saw as someone with better efficacy of prayer. Thus, the narrative Changed instead of abuses it turned out to be praises...
The phrase was now modified to.... "Àdàgbà jé Ràúfù ósàn ju Ògúndèyí bá n múgbá wá or bá n máhá wá.

2 Likes

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by tintingz(m): 9:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:

Olorun is also a local language a deity in Yoruba religion, why do Yoruba muslims use it?
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by AbdulHakeem44(m): 12:23pm On Dec 11, 2018
tintingz:
Olorun is also a local language a deity in Yoruba religion, why do Yoruba muslims use it?
Not every local language word has its origin from shirk. I said if a language be it local or not has the name of deirybthat originate from shirk, we don't accept it as muslims.

Meanwhile, Olorun is not correct and proper for Muslims to call but Olohun, and the word "Olohun" isn't the name of ALLāh but the meaning of one of the attributes of ALLāh.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by tintingz(m): 1:07pm On Dec 11, 2018
AbdulHakeem44:
Not every local language word has its origin from shirk. I said if a language be it local or not has the name of deirybthat originate from shirk, we don't accept it as muslims.
Actually most Yoruba language originated when people were still pagans, be it names, words etc.

Meanwhile, Olorun is not correct and proper for Muslims to call but Olohun, and the word "Olohun" isn't the name of ALLāh but the meaning of one of the attributes of ALLāh.
Olorun is the supreme deity in Yoruba pantheon, he has two other manifestations(Olodumare and Olofi).

Olorun has children and grandchildren like Orunmila, Obatala, Ogun, oduduwa etc, this is a God that is worship long before Islam came to the Yorubas, so if you think Olorun is part of Allah manifestation and doesn't have root in paganism you're missing it. Olorun has his own mythical story that is so different from Allah's mythical story.

It was Bishop Ajayi Crowder that subtitle Olorun has the Abrahamic deity when he translated the Bible into Yoruba language.

So oga don't be ignorant and hypocrite.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by true2god: 4:54pm On Dec 11, 2018
tintingz:
Actually most Yoruba language originated when people were still pagans, be it names, words etc.

Olorun is the supreme deity in Yoruba pantheon, he has two other manifestations(Olodumare and Olofi).

Olorun has children and grandchildren like Orunmila, Obatala, Ogun, oduduwa etc, this is a God that is worship long before Islam came to the Yorubas, so if you think Olorun is part of Allah manifestation and doesn't have root in paganism you're missing it. Olorun has his own mythical story that is so different from Allah's mythical story.

It was Bishop Ajayi Crowder that subtitle Olorun has the Abrahamic deity when he translated the Bible into Yoruba language.

So oga don't be ignorant and hypocrite.
Even the pagan Arabs addressed their god as Allah long before Islam. At times I find it offensive to call any non-Abrahamic faith paganism; this is pure religio-cultural bigotry on the part of the Arabs and the Jews.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember when the Arabs and the Jews are fighting over our African religion, culture and languages. We have to wake up and stop behaving like a modern day Bilal.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by tintingz(m): 6:22pm On Dec 11, 2018
true2god:
Even the pagan Arabs addressed their god as Allah long before Islam. At times I find it offensive to call any non-Abrahamic faith paganism; this is pure religio-cultural bigotry on the part of the Arabs and the Jews.
The thing even is, each culture, nation, society has it own Gods and beliefs.

Islam make this false claim about Allah being same as Yahweh, that the Jews misinterpreted who Yahweh is, I mean how can someone from Arab correct them about their deity. Allah the Arabia God is different from the Canaanite/Jewish God Yahweh or El.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember when the Arabs and the Jews are fighting over our African religion, culture and languages. We have to wake up and stop behaving like a modern day Bilal.
The problem is Africans take Abrahamic religion over zealous, they can die for this foreign religion.

1 Like

Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Biodun556(m): 4:36am On Dec 16, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
Isunki ati aranmo ede wa Yoruba!

Bi apeere:

Opopo ona=Opopona

Eba oke=Ebake

Eti odo=Etido

Omo oba=Omoba

Ewe obe=Ewebe

Ewe oko=Eweko

Erin ile=Erinle

Ki Irun= Kirun

Ki Orun= Korun
You can study the patterns!

Emi ko faramo Nomba 5 yin yen OP! Afi ti eba le mu eri mi wa gegebi Alfa Kabir se so.

And from what i heard, it was one foremost Hausa-Muslim that thought so! And wrongly so!

Sheikh Adam Alilory made the claim

And also isuki ati aranmo ede depends on the type of Yoruba dialect.

Common Yoruba will say Adniyi but Ijebus will say Adeliyi.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Biodun556(m): 4:46am On Dec 16, 2018
Empiree:

No. 5 is my only concern

Sheikh Adam Alilory made the no 5 claim. I have once listened to the audio.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Biodun556(m): 4:48am On Dec 16, 2018
AbdelKabir:
As for the number five, we will need more proof to buttress the fact that the non Muslims of that time used to describe our method of worship the way you've said. I ask for this because, the way we pronounce "orun" is different from the "run" in "irun" because just metamorphosing ki and orun together can't change the intonation of the "run" just as how the "so(gotten from aso)" in "foso"(to wash) didn't get changed because of metamorphosing, same can be said with the word " aimokan" metamorphosed from "ai mo nkan" which none of it's syllabic sound changed. So I'm curious to know why the "run" in irun changed from the intonation of "run" in orun if truly it stands for sun.

Note I've not said what was written is wrong I only need convincing proofs to show the non Muslims of that time used to describe our method of worship the way you've said.

The no 5 was confirmed by Shiekh Adam Alilory.
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 5:04am On Dec 16, 2018
Biodun556:

The no 5 was confirmed by Shiekh Adam Alilory.
can you post me the lecture please?
Re: Islamically Incorrect Words Common Among The Yorubas by Empiree: 6:15am On Dec 16, 2018
Biodun556:

Sheikh Adam Alilory made the no 5 claim. I have once listened to the audio.
I think i remembered the lecture you are talking about. I have listened to something similar but i am not sure the way op portrayed it. Sheikh Adam's approach is different from what op said. But i will still prefer you post that lecture bcus it was long ago i listened to the audio if you have it. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

April Fool’s Lies / What I Observe About Muslims In Nairaland. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.