Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism (36068 Views)

Why Did Pastor Isaac Oyedepo Lose So Much Weight? / Bishop Kukah: No President In World Can Be Irresponsible As Nigerian President / Bisi Alimi: "Pastor Adeboye Is Irresponsible And Vile" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by PremiumLeaks: 9:52pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

First i apologise for my earlier outburst. But please stick to the topic and stop making personal attacks... I have seen enough counter points to my opinion and i now agree with some of it. You can pass your message without trying to denigrate.
But i still insist that if there is a chance of misinforming the public then news outlet should designate satirical post as they are.

Take the Holy Spirit out of this conversation. I have seen many great pastors make mistakes even far higher. It is our responsibility to pray for these people and call them out or criticize as kindly as we can. Their members are tender fruits at different stages of spiritual growth.

I caution myself and restrain my words because if i speak my displeasure many may not go to church again. However, what do we gain if in the name of attacking Adeboye or Oyedepo we push people away from the household of God. Then God may just punish all of us with equal measure. Selah.
Respect bro respect! See this is the mistake I see the church fellas make: Our Men of God make and will make mistakes and we are up in arms to defend them and in the process we only expose them to more ridicule...you should have left the issue as is or simply state the latter part of your argument which is pastors should stay off unnecessary political commentary!

Arch Bishop John Onayekan makes commentary on national issues but at no time has his commentary drawn ire like this because he takes his time outside of clergy duties to do that!

Thank God, Oyedepo isnt on TV like other pastors, cos such could start trouble especially for christians! He should quit makin political statements!

I still respect the anointing on his life but anytime he begins to veer into political waters, i wont lie, my heart skips!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by barikay: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2018
U will know God call him after the 2019 election.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by OlujobaSamuel: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2018
Glory4ever:

You are very correct my brother.

But APC should try to reduce their lies so when people lie against them one can easily detect.

Thanks.
If I have my way, I would have loved someone aside the leading duo, however, I detest preaching hate directly or indirectly in any form, not to now mention when such is an acclaimed gospel (GOODNEWS) teacher.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 04, 2018
somehow:
If he can be misled by a mere write-up like that, then his intelligence needs to be questioned.

The truth is that he just doesn't like the president for obvious reasons!

He was in my church less than 2 months ago. I still have his pictures taken in church on my phone. Highly disappointed in him!
if his university could be ranked the best and his coming out to spew thrash on a very senseless statement from a useless person who have love for his dog than his followers then I think the ranking of his uni should be questioned or his low IQ is on the display

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 04, 2018
lastmessenger:
The man in Aso rock is jubril lobatan. You can write article till eternity and it won't change anything.
very much expected of you

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Ranchhoddas: 10:00pm On Dec 04, 2018
NumbEmotions:
This one that OP is saying there is hardly a trace of sarcasm in that article maybe I should have a look @ that piece of article coz one Jude of pulse.ng made me bliv the article causing this mess was too humourous to be taken as an investigative expository by the G.O.
Where's the link please?

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by GavelSlam: 10:00pm On Dec 04, 2018
bofia1:
[color=#000099][/color]

Insulting Bishop Oyedepo will never make you an achiever in any way. You better mind your tongue when it comes to talking carelessly against a man that carries what you need.

grin

Oyedepo is a common man like you.

He doesn't have anything anybody needs.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

14 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by GavelSlam: 10:02pm On Dec 04, 2018
barikay:

As He did in 2015.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Basher8583: 10:03pm On Dec 04, 2018
OP. Its unfortunate that you dont see the writeup as a satire. I will strongly advise you to go back to school and this time be serious with your studies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

First i apologise for my earlier outburst. But please stick to the topic and stop making personal attacks... I have seen enough counter points to my opinion and i now agree with some of it. You can pass your message without trying to denigrate.
But i still insist that if there is a chance of misinforming the public then news outlet should designate satirical post as they are.

Take the Holy Spirit out of this conversation. I have seen many great pastors make mistakes even far higher. It is our responsibility to pray for these people and call them out or criticize as kindly as we can. Their members are tender fruits at different stages of spiritual growth.

I caution myself and restrain my words because if i speak my displeasure many may not go to church again. However, what do we gain if in the name of attacking Adeboye or Oyedepo we push people away from the household of God. Then God may just punish all of us with equal measure. Selah.
bro you're not a sincere human being, how can you be saying she should leave holy spirit out of this matter when your god said holy spirit didn't guide him which I believe is a scam. I wonder why peeps put these pple in a place where they don't belong.
op don't vex me ooo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by NumbEmotions(m): 10:10pm On Dec 04, 2018

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by mapet: 10:13pm On Dec 04, 2018
modath:

OP,

May God redeem your soul from underneath the foundation of canaanland.... No human can epp you. smiley

In fact I was about to state this is some way.....

@Op, even if you live to service Oyedepo's dreams, must you also perpetually lick his ass? Must your faculty enter vacation mode any time Oyedepo's mentioned?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by femmy2010(m): 10:14pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

Who do you blame?
A) The Nation Newspaper: The producer of the content which should be responsible for guiding its interpretation to a reasonable extent.
B) Bishop Oyedepo: A consumer of the content who was misled. If Oyedepo a PhD holder in Human Resource Management from Uni of Honolulu can be misled then wonder how man SSCE holders,and 'semi-literate' folks that may be misled. Are we not at risk of misinforming a large part of the public in the nation in the name of sattire.

So the Nation Newspaper is the new Bible and the producer of the content is god that speaks to him ?

God have mercy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 04, 2018
barikay:
bro tell me the god that called him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by mapet: 10:19pm On Dec 04, 2018
modath:

I apologise too but kindly take down this thread if you can.. when you chill & look back, you'd hate for people to use this to judge your stance/objectivity.....and sanity

You have good intentions but no.... smiley

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Ranchhoddas: 10:19pm On Dec 04, 2018
NumbEmotions:

https://opera.pulse.ng/news/local/jubril-al-sudan-bishop-oyedepo-misfired-he-can-be-better-id9166616.html
Thanks.

I was asking for the actual satirical piece though. Can't seem to find it online.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by GavelSlam: 10:21pm On Dec 04, 2018
Some of you are actually brainless.

The respect you wouldn't give to your biological father who brought you to this world, clothed you, fed you, educated you, you decide to give a charlatan who sometimes sells hope to you.

Brainless indeed.

10 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by abdulaz: 10:21pm On Dec 04, 2018
This one is the contest of the sheeples grin

Nothing concern me here.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by AnyoneButAtiku: 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2018
We are talking about this god of Man (goM) right? grin

Bishop Oyedepo's Slap arrogantly justified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTbsdZwSMA

If he can inflict physical pain, needlessly, what stops him from peddling #FakeNews with intent?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by NumbEmotions(m): 10:31pm On Dec 04, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Thanks.

I was asking for the actual satirical piece though. Can't seem to find it online.

I think this should be it thenationonlineng.net/matters-miscellaneous-13/

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Jgovt(m): 10:31pm On Dec 04, 2018
AMEN

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by afroxyz: 10:39pm On Dec 04, 2018
OP people like you are the problem of this country. you prefer pastors keeping their mouth shut about the situation they are seeing and profess a heaven you are yet to see. so because Oyedepo is a religious figure, he should not talk about what is happening in his country? with all the influence and respect he has? someone who could change the course of things just by speaking against the authorities? Would you have preferred a shameless mbaka? Is that not hypocrisy? What would have happened in South Africa if Desmond tutu did not stand against the apartheid regime? Didn't Elijah challenge Jezebel?

Mr man, please go and think of other things to do than peddle this disjointed piece of shit that you wrote

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Philinho(m): 10:49pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

Valid point. They should all stay away from politics. Whether credible news or not i think he should just do like Oyakhilomhe, Olukoya and avoid Nigerian politics completely.

I think it is time the Pentecostal movement gets a structure. The govt should give PFN or CAN the powers for self regulation in line with whatever Christianity means to all of us and document it as a constitution. Watching a mentally disturbed 'pastor' slam members in church is very heart breaking and a mockery to this religion. Such kind of church ought to be closed immediately and members dispersed but CAN or PFN has no such powers.

There is chaos in the church formation and it keeps me awake at night - everyone does as they please and make a mockery of the system. There is no accountability on church income, by now a reformed PFN or CAN should have forced her members to make annual disclosures on church income and expenditure.

There ought to be regulations from CAN forcing bakare, osinbanjo and okotie and the likes to temporarily step aside before vying for office.

What about regulations banning politicians from contributing to church projects

Churches should also start having accountable leadership. I expect winners supreme council would ban further political commentaries by any of its leaders but i know that wouldn't happen as our pastors are too powerful than the structures meant to hold them accountable.

So now politics should be for muslims to control and do what they want as a result of which we are suffering now avi?.......May the cloud of foolishness be cleansed from your face....
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Valaxy: 10:54pm On Dec 04, 2018
Hatred and bias can have the capacity to impair your ability to recognize a satire when it stares at you. It is public knowledge that Oyedepo detests anything APC and Buhari since, even before, Jonathan was kicked out of Aso Rock. Is it not the same Oyedepo that went with Atiku to 'greet' Obasanjo in Ota?

If I may, what is the man of God doing reading news papers on the pulpit? SMH

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Ranchhoddas: 10:58pm On Dec 04, 2018
NumbEmotions:

I think this should be it thenationonlineng.net/matters-miscellaneous-13/
Seen
Thanks!
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Aboki99(m): 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

You assume that i know Kanu started all this. But before this week i had deliberately skipped every single news regarding jubril of sudan. The headline has always been enough to put me off because i know it's conspiracy theory.

The first article i ever read about this was the one Oyedepo cited so i was sort of confused too. And since i don't trust nor like Buhari i may be guilty of not to looking for loopholes in articles against him.

The Nation's publication clearly fits the description of fake news.

Questions on Holy spirit
Regarding the inability to hear the Holy Spirit: Maybe the holy spirit didn't say anything because the bishop didn't ask. Or the Holy Spirit said something and the bishop did not pay attention.
Asking why the Holy Spirit didn't tell Oyedepo is like asking why God didn't tell myles monroe that he would crash. Even when Oyedepo was going to have a plane incident. The Holy Spirit raised intercessor in Adeboye and some Landmark student who waged the battle on his behalf. So this topic on the Holy Spirit is not for this place

Well done, Higher Ed, the Holy Spirit spokesman! How did u leave una boss in heaven? On a serious note, people like you give atheists every reason to disbelieve in God. Is there any stage of docility, gullibility and maladroitness that you have not passed, sir?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by AgentGoat: 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2018
If at all there are people called by God to serve. Oyedepo is not one of them. Very uncouth arrogant ugly man right from time.

All buhari's haters shall self destruct like oyedepo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by lijoh(m): 11:08pm On Dec 04, 2018
What do you mean by people in Ogbomosho....?

Have you been to Ogbomosho before?

Go and Fact Check before Categorizing places as Underdevelop or Undevelop areas where people has no access to (Twitter) Internet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by jomoh: 11:11pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:

Let me just use one of your pictures to tackle you.

Quoting from the picture:

“A study found that people chose satirical news that matches their pre existing attitudes(believes)..........and that watching(in this case reading) satirical news reinforces those attitudes(believes) as much as watching(in this case reading) serious news”

So you see OLEdepo already has his own believes and he already knew the write up was satirical. He only intentionally chose to use the write up as reinforcement of his own personal pre-existing beliefs.

He is a PHD holder which means he knows the importance of research before conclusion

The truth is that the man is a very clear enemy of the state, an enemy of progress and a clear enemy of PMB only using the pulpit to forge his course.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Infocitadel: 11:31pm On Dec 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Call it Satire or whatever you like, my first impression, reading Olatunji Oludare's piece was not of laughter or comedy. What i read was a supposed "well laid, investigative" reportage. Till now i do not see the sattire or sarcasm in that post and i would easily be misled by that article myself.

The only dissonance that gave the post out for me was the supposedly unwarranted tirade against Nnamdi Kanu. But without that i could easily have attempted to 'dig' further.

I understand now that the majority of folks immediately termed the article sattire based on the antecedents of the writer. However, we need to ask the impact of a credible news outlet like The Nation irresponsibly mixing sattire and real journalism together.

Knowing fully well that the general public is fully aware that the Nation Newspaper is a credible journalistic outlet then it should be imperative to label or designate sattirical, sarcastic publications under the comedy section of the newspaper - whether online or offline.

The fact here is this, a leading religious influencer in Bishop Oyedepo was misled by the carelessness of The Nation newspaper and the clarity he sought for from the presidency has professed doubt that may have cascaded into the 5,000 church network of the Winners Chapel ministeries in Nigeria. Citizens and church members in Ogbomoso, Umunede, Ede and other rural hinterlands without access to Twitter, Nairaland have now heard from their revered pastor that their president may be a Jubril from Sudan.

Do we need this in a nation where distrust for the Federal Government is so rife that citizens would readily believe the worst from them? Worse even when such accusations are peddled by leading religious voices.

I have in numerous times called for sober reflection from Nigeria's media houses and bloggers to ensure news dissemination is done with utmost respect. A news made by Vanguard, Linda Ikeji during the last election which cited Bishop Oyedepo claiming to open the gates of hell is another typical example of how poor journalism continue o divide us and threaten our peaceful existence. Till today, that news report is still being circulated and reechoed in social media circles despite the recall made by the various news outlet. We thank God there was no violence in reaction to that particular fake news, but make no mistake that particular fake news could have put the lives of many Christians in jeopardy.

To the clergy, i humbly plead that our pastors, priests, bishops should cease from meddling in political issues. Let us imbibe the character of Pastor Adeboye who has been a father to all and a bridge builder who refuses to make political statements. Let the Nigerian people make their decisions and live with the consequences! You are Nigerians and entitled to your opinions on the political situation of the Country but in respect of Christ and the safety of Christians
all over Nigeria please speak your opinions in the comfort of your rooms and not on the pulpit to avoid needless controversies.

OP, am disappointed in your writeup.

whether the article is satire or not doesn't matter. All what the bishop said is that presidency should address the nation based on the issue and there's absolutely nothing wrong in that.

and buhari has done justice to that, even though I would have expected him to do it in Nigeria, and not in a foreign country
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Nobody: 11:41pm On Dec 04, 2018
Daviddson:
Forget about Oyedepo now, let's talk about your own failure to see satire in the piece. The beginning of the article reads: Then this one too: Now can you still not see the satire there?

There's nothing satirical in this segements...The author failed to use constructive terms that could have indicated it so, it lacks the ingredients of a satire which is pun and irony. The writing was direct and left to the reader to deduce or decode whatever message they could get.

Finally, the bishop use of the word "one dare olatunji" shows he doesn't know the man nor his work nor saw the message from that perspective. The Nation newspaper should apologize and same the writer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Catholic Priest Celebrates Christ In A Traditional Way In Anambra / Apostle Suleman & Wife, Lizzy, Playing Football & Table Tennis (Photos) / No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.