Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,045 members, 7,838,634 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

For My Fathers (and Mothers) At 50 - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For My Fathers (and Mothers) At 50 (664 Views)

Generational Curses. . . .the Sins Of The Fathers And Mothers!!! / Irresponsible Fathers And What They Cause To The Society / Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For My Fathers (and Mothers) At 50 by skillero(m): 9:53am On Aug 01, 2010
Dear Father,
I am taking my time to write you this note, not for a want of something to do, or the desire to follow the norm in talking across this empty space; but rather to remind you of the future you have promised.
The furthest I could remember was the times you come home to hold my hands, throw me up to a giggle and whisper promises of things you’ll give to me If I should position myself with the right crowd, if I could get the best of grades and rake in the brightest Ace as I lay my head close to your chest. They were like lullaby to my young mind and I go to sleep knowing that all will be well if I…
My first steps were a copy of yours, my dress sense I picked from you and when the time eventually came for me to carve my own signature, I put yours on one side and I wrote several versions of it, till mine finally evolved. You indeed are my superstar. Today I walk and sprint and event though you dare look at me to say mine is a wasted generation, I know that there is nothing I am today or will be tomorrow that has not been because you were more than a forerunner but a mentor. The funny thing is when people look at me, they are quick to see the strong resemblance.
I am not trying to castigate or put a dent in your achievements, or cast aspersions at your personality. No! Far from that; I have learnt by experience that in this world there are no saints, no devils; no whites no black people each of us at best are grey, with our own bag of weaknesses. However this brief note is just a reminder, that as we turn 50, I want you to look back and help me!

Help me know that tomorrow is possible.
Help me believe once more
in the tenets of success through hard work
that you have always preached.
Help me know that even though
You have made some mistakes,
I should dare not make the same
If my children will not look back tomorrow to curse us both
Help me to know that in the final analysis,
Your visions and dreams
of a better tomorrow are not mere fantasies
but one you have decided to see to completion through hard work.
Above all help me to see you more as human by owning up for your errors so I do not see them as the norm, but rather a lesson in mistakes conquered.
Today and tomorrow, I love you.
Your son
Me.

Re: For My Fathers (and Mothers) At 50 by skillero(m): 7:01pm On Aug 01, 2010
this is just for all mentors!
Re: For My Fathers (and Mothers) At 50 by skillero(m): 5:59pm On Aug 11, 2010
Close to my heart.

(1) (Reply)

Parents, How Did You Meet? / Marriage Is An Expedition / A Most Read For Everybody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.