Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers (3519 Views)

New Craze In Town- Ladies Retaining Their Fathers Name After Marriage / 40% Of First Borns Are Not From Their Fathers- Dna Expert Reveals / Irresponsible Fathers And What They Cause To The Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by randy(m): 6:28pm On Mar 16, 2008
please, i need your opinions
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by winnteam(m): 10:51pm On Apr 03, 2008
Personally speaking, most of todays parents have lost it in every way.
1. How can you explain how a parent who beats up a teacher for punishing his child?
2. Why won't a parent discipline a child at home when they fall out of line?
3. Why would a parent tolerate what his parents did not when he was a child?
4. What values are present day parents instilling in their children?
5. Why would parents not allow their children do basic house work?
6. Why would a young mother of these days not educate their daughters on decent ways of dressing?
7. Why would parents allow their underaged children have relationships?

I can go on and on.

Should enlightenment degarde us morally?

Let us search our hearts and begin to do the right thing.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by N101: 10:55pm On Nov 25, 2009
Yes and no, depending on the parent.

I have a friend who is amazing with his children, nothing fazes him.  By all accounts my father was just as good with us when we were little.  On the other hand I know a single mother of two who makes it sound like she's taking on the world when her mother had nine of them and could handle them albeit strictly.

winnteam:

Personally speaking, most of todays parents have lost it in every way.
1. How can you explain how a parent who beats up a teacher for punishing his child?
2. Why won't a parent discipline a child at home when they fall out of line?
3. Why would a parent tolerate what his parents did not when he was a child?
4. What values are present day parents instilling in their children?
5. Why would parents not allow their children do basic house work? 
6. Why would a young mother of these days not educate their daughters on decent ways of dressing?
7. Why would parents allow their underaged children have relationships?

I can go on and on.

Should enlightenment degarde us morally?

Let us search our hearts and begin to do the right thing.

I don't know about you, but some of this stuff was going on when I was a child, perhaps the slightest difference being between the generations being that moral values have shifted significantly.   These same parents and children were a minority and a lot was done on the quiet, these children in turn become parents and we are now seeing these dysfunctional families in the public eye.

Each generation believes in making concessions for their children; we now have a generation of children who think the world owes them something and they don't need to take responsibility in return.  Despite what our parents taught us we are allowing external forces i.e. the media and their peer groups, to influence and bring up our children.

This isn't true for all, I know of many children who are level-headed (even if their parents aren't, lol).
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2009
Kind of, cos llistens more, and give the kids chance to talk, they are more engaged and dont deal with them with fear.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by coolier(f): 8:59pm On Nov 26, 2009
No.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by ayomidej(f): 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2009
Well you can only judge using your parents and comparing them to their Fathers And Mothers.

But honestly most parents this time around have LOST THE PLOT
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 7:45pm On Nov 27, 2009
ayomidej:

Well you can only judge using your parents and comparing them to their Fathers And Mothers.

But honestly most parents this time around have LOST THE PLOT

I dont think so, a real father these days are doing a great job, cos they listen more to the kids than those days
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by software(m): 8:59pm On Nov 27, 2009
hmmmmmmn for discipline and moral values, I think parents of today have lost it. But thinking about some other things, hmmmn. Hi everyone!
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 27, 2009
Well i hate the way i was raised but i wont trade my parents for anything!

You'll have to categorize the factors by which you base this argument.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 11:15pm On Nov 27, 2009
arkinses:

Well i hate the way i was raised but i wont trade my parents for anything!

You'll have to categorize the factors by which you base this argument.

Seconded
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by bawomolo(m): 1:15am On Nov 28, 2009
ha the previous generation always blames the younger ones.

Funny how nostalgia for the "good ole days" blinds our vision. Gone are the days of aristocratic parents. deal with it
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 2:28am On Nov 28, 2009
ummmmmmmmmm ^^^
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 28, 2009
from Baz Luhrmann Lyrics - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders. Respect your elders.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Janet101(f): 7:48am On Nov 28, 2009
@ayomide i,i agree wit u and children should also fear their parent.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Spyker: 9:20am On Nov 28, 2009
I partially agree that that Parents of nowadays are worse than their fathers and mothers only in terms of morals. Modern day parenting has thrown morals to the winds. But when it comes to educating their children, modern day parents are ready to sell the world to give their kids the best education ever.
What about family planning, modern day parents are better organised in this aspect. Due to the condition of the world today with hunger ravaging millions of family, only a foolish couple would want to have as much as ten children but it was a great achievement for their parents. Population explosion is the result of that. They have too many children that they don't even recognise them. What about a man marrying as much as four wives. I am sure no man in this time with his right senses would put four women under one roof in the name of marriage. This day women are not as timid and uneducated as their mothers. This is just a few examples.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Okijajuju1(m): 9:42am On Nov 28, 2009
I really cant say.

Parents of today are working in a totally different environment from what the parents of old did.

Mobile phones, internet, cable t.v, e.t.c.

I hate it when I hear that modern parents have lost discipline and value, cos thats not true. Parents of today have learnt to treat their kids as individuals with emotions, thoughts and ideas. They have learnt to listen before making decisions. They have learnt to let the child grow as an individual while guiding them gently.

Parents of today have tried to develop a relationship with their kids. They have reduced the use of canes and whips and have resorted to other forms of punishment for wrong deeds.

I wouldnt totally discredit the methods of the parents of yesteryears cos their method actually did work for the era in which they raised their kids. Although it was forceful, brute and sometimes harsh, it did work. But the truth is that those method also did a lot of harm.

I would put it like this, they are doing just fine.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by princekevo(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2009
This is a typical example of the end products of today,s parenting.
Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXPxxk3sKg
With the kinda parenting we got today from many homes, am afriad that our next generation wont be far rated from animals.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by eesaah(m): 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2009
princekevo:

This is a typical example of the end products of today,s parenting.
Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXPxxk3sKg
With the kinda parenting we got today from many homes, am afriad that our next generation wont be far rated from animals.

OMG! this is unbelievable
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by hackney(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2009
^^^^^^ Just saw the clip.
So why wont the mum disown the little dog?
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by frank317: 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2009
ain't today's parents a product of older generation parents.

the older generation were hypocrites. they spoilt the world and left, leaving today's parents and enormous task of repairing it. but how possible is that?

I think today's parents are better because despite their parent's ignorance, hypocricy, wickedness(pple like hitler and our forefathers who lived on jazz), they are still trying to figure how to make the world a better place.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2009
^^^ Well said, but the parents today have had to re-train themselves, else, many would end in jail for child abuse
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by iice(f): 5:06pm On Nov 28, 2009
Erhh even though my parents were strict in some areas. . .i wouldn't have wanted it any different.
Some parents these days are lipsrsealed
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2009
iice:

Erhh even though my parents were strict in some areas. . .i wouldn't have wanted it any different.
Some parents these days are lipsrsealed

We cant read thru a sealed lip, so talk jare.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by iice(f): 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2009
Too soft, not really ready for kids (responsible).
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by mamagee3(f): 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2009
Most of them are still Old School undecided
They just can't wake into 2009
angry
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by beefy23(m): 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2009
Okija_juju:

I hate it when I hear that modern parents have lost discipline and value, cos thats not true. Parents of today have learnt to treat their kids as individuals with emotions, thoughts and ideas. They have learnt to listen before making decisions. They have learnt to let the child grow as an individual while guiding them gently.

Parents of today have tried to develop a relationship with their kids. They have reduced the use of canes and whips and have resorted to other forms of punishment for wrong deeds.

I wouldnt totally discredit the methods of the parents of yesteryears cos their method actually did work for the era in which they raised their kids. Although it was forceful, brute and sometimes harsh, it did work. But the truth is that those method also did a lot of harm.

Seconded, the means/methods that some of the older generation used have resulted in 'some' people being damaged goods and unable to function properly in modern family settings.

Afterall it's the older generation that were raised in the so called 'old skool' way that have brought the country to its knees with all their looting, amala/gbegiri politics and what not. Weren't these the same set of people that woud go around saying 'we have to respect our elders blah, blah blah' - we don't see much of the home training coming into play in the political/governance arena.

There's not much point in looking back at the past with rose-tinted specs.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2009
iice, i totally agree with you.
The sad thing is that the father is soft and the mother dont want the kid to cry, so they end up breeding time bombs
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by okeey(m): 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2009
na so
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by tomiwa17(m): 10:14pm On Nov 28, 2009
discipline wise the've thrown the rod out the window, dialogue and compromise are now the prefered means of parenting
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by GeorgeD1(m): 11:52am On Nov 29, 2009
i'd say they are worse nowadays.
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by CarlosVent(m): 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2009
Today's parents lacks vision

Today's Parents lacks respect

Today's Parents lacks integrity.

Infact the present dads and mums are mainly junks of rubbish.

I score them 35% while

the older mums and dad gets 93%
Re: Are Presents Dads And Moms Of Today Better Than Their Fathers And Mothers by Pennywise(m): 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2009
@OP
Hard to tell. But without a doubt, my mother is a far better parent than I can ever be. She worked me real good (the way I needed to be worked). I thank God for her.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Me And My Children --- A Short Story! / Salt And Water: Can It Stop Pregnancy? / An open letter to Emma Watson and all feminists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.