Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,237 members, 7,957,560 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:38 PM

NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC (14569 Views)

FG Approves $1.4bn For Rehabilitation Of Warri, Kaduna Refineries / Nasir Sambo: EFCC Recovers N5.4bn For NHIS, 7 Billion Still Trapped / FEC Okays N1.4bn For Design Of Dpr’s 12-floor Head Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 08, 2018
nickxtra:
Paying money from public fund for a private legal service? Make una dey read before commenting
Why or how is that the recipient's business? That issue should he raised with the governor/Akwa Ibom state government. As long as the lawyer can prove that the payment was for legitimate services rendered (which he had easily done), then he has zero culpability.

If you're a thief, and you use proceeds of theft to pay for goods and services, does that make the provider of those goods and services complicit in your alleged crime? Come on. That's a very very silly approach by the EFCC.

The EFCC is doing a ready disgraceful job, wasting public funds on very stupid cases that would be thrown out by the courts for lack of merit. It's a shame how incompetent this institution and others in Nigeria are.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Afamed: 6:12am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:
Since when did legal fees become "questionable funds" and subject to investigation? Na wa o
Legal fee of N1.4b? Something isn't right with the figure. And using a state fund to settle personal benefit makes it more questionable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Afamed: 6:13am On Dec 08, 2018
Hedonini:

Why or how is that the recipient's business? That issue should he raised with the governor/Akwa Ibom state government. As long as the lawyer can prove that the payment was for legitimate services rendered (which he had easily done), then he has zero culpability.

If you're a thief, and you use proceeds of theft to pay for goods and services, does that make the provider of those goods and services complicit in your alleged crime? Come on. That's a very very silly approach by the EFCC.

The EFCC is doing a ready disgraceful job, wasting public funds on very stupid cases that would be thrown out by the courts for lack of merit. It's a shame how incompetent this institution and others in Nigeria are.
An accomplished of a thief , is also a thief in a court of law.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by duni04(m): 6:15am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:
Since when did legal fees become "questionable funds" and subject to investigation? Na wa o
Was there a receipt issued for the legal fees? Do you just open your mouth and say legal fees when there is no documentation to buttress? Why pay legal fees into Paul usoros company's account? Please use your head, these people are laundering your money. Not their money, your money!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by celeiyke: 6:16am On Dec 08, 2018
If EFCC is questioning this, they should extend it to all APC governors. This is coming at this point cos APC is doing everything possible to take over akwa ibom.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 08, 2018
Afamed:

An accomplished of a thief , is also a thief in a court of law.
What is the meaning of accomplice? Someone that helps you steal or someone that you merely spend your proceeds of theft on?

If the latter is the case, then everybody in this world is an accomplice of illegal money. Whatever it is you're selling, somebody has bought it with illegally made money.

If I provide services to you, and you pay me for my services, I don't bloody care how you got the money. That's the way life is, and the law is on my side as long as I can prove that the payment is for services rendered.

Forget this long grammar. Let the EFCC go and get a conviction let us see. It's a complete waste of time and prosecutory resources.

2 Likes

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Afamed: 6:20am On Dec 08, 2018
sureheaven:
Someone asked question in Nigeria. Just before I even glance again I sighted America.. Bros can u compare America with Nigeria in anything?
Do you remember how old is America?

Let me power up my 3D screen so I can see very well.. Because I know say #WE DIE HERE.

And u wake up everyday to accuse buhari of high cost of high cost of living and hardship. shocked

But you are always fast in using America as a yardstick to measure Nigeria achievements, Dont you?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by myproperty(m): 6:20am On Dec 08, 2018
NOC1:

If you are following American politics you will know that legal fees can be questioned. I am referencing the Mike Cohen's (Mr fix it) President Trump Lawyer who is undergoing interrogation over series of accusation including amounts been paid to him for Legal works.

Mike Cohen case is far different from this,. You are justifying the prob of legal fee but can't talk about the refusal to prob the embarrassing shameful and criminal activity of Ganduje. Bellow is an extract of Mike Cohen legal issue with the state from CNBC.com-

"Michael Cohen, the former personal lawyer and fixer for President Donald Trump, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to eight counts related to tax fraud, excessive campaign contributions, making false statements to a financial institution, and unlawful corporate contributions at a court hearing in New York on Tuesday.
Two of the counts that Cohen pleaded guilty to appear to relate to Trump directly.
Cohen admitted on Tuesday to making payments to two women at the direction of an unidentified candidate for political office who appears to be the president. Those payments, Cohen said, were made to influence the outcome of the election."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/21/trumps-ex-lawyer-michael-cohen-strikes-plea-deal-nbc-news.html

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by 77up(m): 6:22am On Dec 08, 2018
This set of coursed people are here again this morning defending stupidity as always .

Someone pay for his personal service from public fund and you are still defending him , una maaaaaaaad gan o shocked

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Afamed: 6:23am On Dec 08, 2018
ipobarethieves:
sad shocked sad Tonyebarcanista oooo! 1.4 bila legal kudi for just one man wen sum Akwa ibom pipu dey sufa .In fact,wish we have South Korea/Indonesia president here..Chai!
Tonyebarcanista does show up in this kind of a thread. Tonyebarcanista lacks ideology and Intergrity too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by epistleNow(m): 6:27am On Dec 08, 2018
Please, use your brain for few seconds, and read this slowly :
The money sent was from the state government account, not governor Udom personal account

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Xisnin(m): 6:37am On Dec 08, 2018
NOC1:

If you are following American politics you will know that legal fees can be questioned. I am referencing the Mike Cohen's (Mr fix it) President Trump Lawyer who is undergoing interrogation over series of accusation including amounts been paid to him for Legal works.
Since you follow American politics. You should know that Trump's case is special and it is political.
If the same standard of investigation is applied to top American politicians, they and their lawyers will all end
up in jail.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by myproperty(m): 6:38am On Dec 08, 2018
jomoh:

It becomes questionable and criminal when the state funds is being used to defend the governor(an individual).
Yes you are right if it is a fact but this is what the lawyer said

The commission said Usoro further stated that the payments were independent transactions and that the Akwa Ibom State Government’s payments-on-account were “in respect of my firm’s professional services to the state, while the payments to the senior counsel were made by me for and on behalf of Governor Udom Emmanuel, at his request.”
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by badmrkt(m): 6:41am On Dec 08, 2018
epistleNow:
Please, use your brain for few seconds, and read this slowly :
The money sent was from the state government account, not governor Udom personal account
then Mr Usoro has no case to answer, rather they should question Mr Udom instead.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by texazzpete(m): 6:41am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:

Why would Akwa Ibom state funds be used to pay a lawyer for personal legal issues?

You people will defend anything.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by texazzpete(m): 6:43am On Dec 08, 2018
celeiyke:
If EFCC is questioning this, they should extend it to all APC governors. This is coming at this point cos APC is doing everything possible to take over akwa ibom.

No be your fault sha. When you people don’t pay tax, you are extremely cavalier with the waste of state resources.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by bkool7(m): 6:48am On Dec 08, 2018
If something is not done and urgently too, the peasants in Nigeria are destined for extinction while the privileged few will continue with their biz as usual
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by jomoh: 6:49am On Dec 08, 2018
myproperty:

Yes you are right if it is a fact but this is what the lawyer said

The commission said Usoro further stated that the payments were independent transactions and that the Akwa Ibom State Government’s payments-on-account were “in respect of my firm’s professional services to the state, while the payments to the senior counsel were made by me for and on behalf of Governor Udom Emmanuel, at his request.”

The lawyer is only trying to confuse the EFCC but has ended up shooting himself in the foot. He needs to state the professional services he rendered to the states that warranted payment of a whooping N1.4bn but then he already said it that the money was for the tribunal that he(the governor) won which is a personal business not a state issue and should not have being paid for from the states resources.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by verifiablefacts: 6:52am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

Someone asked question in Nigeria. Just before I even glance again I sighted America.. Bros can u compare America with Nigeria in anything?

Let me power up my 3D screen so I can see very well.. Because I know say #WE DIE HERE.
when it turns this way you don't want it compared to America but when it turns the other way, you compare it with America. What system of government are we copying?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by ridbell01(m): 6:54am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

that's why we are here to cuz the oppressed will even defend the oppressor when they are to face justice

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by bkool7(m): 6:54am On Dec 08, 2018
badmrkt:
then Mr Usoro has no case to answer, rather they should question Mr Udom instead.

He has a case. The amount he collected is outrageous.

When someone , especially a government official, deliberately pay you extremely far above your earning, integrity demands you to decline or inform the police.
These war against corruption can only be won if fought collectively

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by timota(m): 7:01am On Dec 08, 2018
NOC1:

kano gov that is collecting bribe in dollars ,efcc are you turning a blind eye ,efcc my foot ,then pack your load and go to American if u are so interesting in their way of life
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by fyneguy: 7:04am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:

Legal fees paid from a govt's account?? Are you kidding me?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by maasoap(m): 7:04am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

See your life! And you want Nigeria to be like America

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by maasoap(m): 7:06am On Dec 08, 2018
gratiaeo:

If it's in America would Ganduje still occupy government seat.

Thanks to PDP, thanks to Obj for for giving him constitutional immunity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by agabusta: 7:10am On Dec 08, 2018
chinjo:
And when has payment for legal services become a crime? They tried this with Mike Ozekhome and Fayose. They went to court and disgrased EFCC

The EFCC is empowered to question and investigates suspicious financial transactions.

Before one knows it, they will soon be using the excuse of legal fees to be moving funds out of state coffers.

When legal fees for political office holders starts going above 1billion naira, sensible people should raise eye brows.

But wait oh, is it the state govt that is supposed to pay for Udom's personal legal battles?

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by ofwest47(m): 7:10am On Dec 08, 2018
Nawa ooo! N 1.4 billion Naira from state government pause to pay one person as legal services and yet several thousands of the state citizens are dying in pains and several government infrastructures waiting for attentions are being neglected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by bilulu(m): 7:14am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

don't mind dem dats how dey keep quoting America but when it comes to development dey won't remember if America exist.... EFCC can investigate who's doing business with Akwa ibom government but can't investigate the contractor who reportedly gave kick back to Ganduje....
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by epistleNow(m): 7:15am On Dec 08, 2018
badmrkt:

Can a government agency (Police) recover a stolen car from a new buyer ?
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by ruggedtimi(m): 7:16am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:
Nigeria is doomed so- Akwa Ibom spent $5 million dollars(N1.4 billion naira) of state allocation to defend Udom.

the answer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Umahi Disagrees With NASS On Sack Of Service Chiefs / Tinubu-Fayemi Meeting: The Spin Doctors Got It Wrong - Yinka Oyebode / Makinde Announces Intention To Run For Second Term, Obtains PDP Nomination Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.