Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,594 members, 7,958,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:13 AM

NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC (14572 Views)

FG Approves $1.4bn For Rehabilitation Of Warri, Kaduna Refineries / Nasir Sambo: EFCC Recovers N5.4bn For NHIS, 7 Billion Still Trapped / FEC Okays N1.4bn For Design Of Dpr’s 12-floor Head Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:25am On Dec 08, 2018
ipobarethieves:
sad shocked sad Tonyebarcanista oooo! 1.4 bila legal kudi for just one man wen sum Akwa ibom pipu dey sufa .In fact,wish we have South Korea/Indonesia president here..Chai!
But it's not illegal na.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by kaffyadeakeem(f): 7:31am On Dec 08, 2018
. and WHT was not deducted and pay to TAX authority?
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by hakeem4shi(m): 7:32am On Dec 08, 2018
You are blind to know now, since it is your leaders.
How do you engage a lawyer privately and you pay him from state purse? Haba, 1.4bn. Make una dey fear God na. You know what that can fix in Akwa Ibom? Think about people and forget politics abeg.
Heartbender:
Since when did legal fees become "questionable funds" and subject to investigation? Na wa o

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Ikpewe: 7:42am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

Someone asked question in Nigeria. Just before I even glance again I sighted America.. Bros can u compare America with Nigeria in anything?
Do you remember how old is America?

Let me power up my 3D screen so I can see very well.. Because I know say #WE DIE HERE.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by techlawcrat: 7:44am On Dec 08, 2018
It's outrightly criminal for Udom to have used state's fund to finance his personal electoral matter. But I think this is just the norm in Nigeria, which is sad.

Sitting political office holders funds their electoral battles with the states' funds. It has been their practice. Let's even ask how Bubari who couldn't afford his party's nomination form was able to hire such outrageous numbers of SAN's to defend his certificate fraud.

Like as if EFCC doesnt know this before now. They are on a vendetta. Make dem go check accounts of dem Wole Olanipekun, Yusuf Alli and dem big wigs and see how billions have been paid in the past for election petitions... Way back since 2007... Abeg, make dem go sit don.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Ikpewe: 7:45am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

Someone asked question in Nigeria. Just before I even glance again I sighted America.. Bros can u compare America with Nigeria in anything?

Let me power up my 3D screen so I can see very well.. Because I know say #WE DIE HERE.
PAYING HIM FROM AKWA IBOM STATE GOVERNMEMT ACCOUNT MY BRO ARE YOU WELL AT ALL?

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by techlawcrat: 7:46am On Dec 08, 2018
It's outrightly criminal for Udom to have used state's fund to finance his personal electoral matter. But I think this is just the norm in Nigeria, which is sad.

Sitting political office holders funds their electoral battles with states' funds. It has been their practice.

Let's even ask how Bubari who couldn't afford his party's nomination form was able to hire such outrageous number of SAN's to defend his certificate fraud.

Like as if EFCC doesnt know this before now. They are on a vendetta. Make dem go check accounts of dem Wole Olanipekun, Yusuf Alli and dem big wigs and see how many billions have been paid in the past for election petitions even by oga president... Way back since 2007... Abeg, make dem go sit don.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by ipobarethieves: 7:48am On Dec 08, 2018
angry
TonyeBarcanista:

But it's not illegal na.

undecided
TonyeBarcanista:

But it's not illegal na.

1.4 bila for one person?That's fraudulent looting the pipu money.The 1.4 bila is from Udom personal pocket /Akwa ibom pipu money? E nor go beta for Udom

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by abes(m): 7:53am On Dec 08, 2018
gratiaeo:
What happen to Ganduje bribe allegation?

The same thing that happened to Peter Obi bribery confession...
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by paragon40(m): 7:59am On Dec 08, 2018
nickxtra:
Paying money from public fund for a private legal service? Make una dey read before commenting
they should go and hold the Governor, EFCC has no good case against the NBA President, the question is, is he entitled to his professional fees or not.
Yes or no??
In my own opinion yes.
They should hold the Governor for misappropriation of public fund(s).
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Abagworo(m): 8:04am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:
Since when did legal fees become "questionable funds" and subject to investigation? Na wa o

The point is that Akwaibom State money was evidently used not Udom's money.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Amacaco: 8:12am On Dec 08, 2018
It is legally and morally wrong for Udom to spend the state money for his personal election petition. He should pay from his own pocket. The State Government did not contest any election and therefore not a party to the case. Secondly, you cannot hold the lawyer liable for amount paid to him as legal fees but you can hold the client liable for paying from the wrong source. To do otherwise will mean a lawyer should not be paid by his client who turns out to be a thief since the source will be questionable. This further means lawyers should defend only well known and accepted saints.

2 Likes

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by lawnx101: 8:14am On Dec 08, 2018
NOC1:

If you are following American politics you will know that legal fees can be questioned. I am referencing the Mike Cohen's (Mr fix it) President Trump Lawyer who is undergoing interrogation over series of accusation including amounts been paid to him for Legal works.

Shut up bro. That was hush money paid out to Pres. Donald Trump's Broad Stormy Daniel by Mr Cohen That's way different from the payments disputed by d EFCC in this case. So unless the EFCC can establish fraud which of course would be almost Zero, then NBA chairman should be left alone.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by buhariguy(m): 8:18am On Dec 08, 2018
Hedonini:
What's the big deal? Can the dead Buhari or his living surrogate tell us how much he paid to the 16 SANs that cracked their old brains to defend Buhari's nonexistent WASC Certificate?
500,000 naira to all, most time free.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Odumanudo: 8:26am On Dec 08, 2018
Legal fees are not exempted from investigation. This particular case of Paul Usoros becomes more interesting cos the fees were allegedly paid from Akwa-Ibom State Government's coffers.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by buhariguy(m): 8:29am On Dec 08, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

But it's not illegal na.

Abagworo:

The point is that Akwaibom State money was evidently used not Udom's money.
Ikpewe:
PAYING HIM FROM AKWA IBOM STATE GOVERNMEMT ACCOUNT MY BRO ARE YOU WELL AT ALL?
ruggedtimi:
Nigeria is doomed so- Akwa Ibom spent $5 million dollars(N1.4 billion naira) of state allocation to defend Udom.

the answer
ofwest47:
Nawa ooo! N 1.4 billion Naira from state government pause to pay one person as legal services and yet several thousands of the state citizens are dying in pains and several government infrastructures waiting for attentions are being neglected.
agabusta:

The EFCC is empowered to question and investigates suspicious financial transactions.

Before one knows it, they will soon be using the excuse of legal fees to be moving funds out of state coffers.

When legal fees for political office holders starts going above 1billion naira, sensible people should raise eye brows.

But wait oh, is it the state govt that is supposed to pay for Udom's personal legal battles?

texazzpete:

Why would Akwa Ibom state funds be used to pay a lawyer for personal legal issues?

You people will defend anything.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by NOC1(m): 8:31am On Dec 08, 2018
lawnx101:

Shut up bro. That was hush money paid out to Pres. Donald Trump's Broad Stormy Daniel by Mr Cohen That's way different from the payments disputed by d EFCC in this case. So unless the EFCC can establish fraud which of course would be almost Zero, then NBA chairman should be left alone.

Go back and read my comment before speaking, I am not talking about hush money the stormy Daniel's case brought out so many hidden things about him, from how much top American CEOs and top guys wire into his account to top individuals apart from Trump that he is their lawyer, to a point he is accused of wire fraud.
When he was interrogated he claimed that most of the money paid to him are legal charges and he was questioned and investigated
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by tee4naija(m): 8:34am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:
Paying for legal services rendered to an individual through a state account is criminal. The legal battle is between gov udom and other candidates. Why not pay from his personal account? Would he have had access to the state fund if he had lost at the tribunal?
Let us be objective for once in cases like this irrespective of our political inclinations.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by REDshouse(m): 8:40am On Dec 08, 2018
chinjo:
And when has payment for legal services become a crime? They tried this with Mike Ozekhome and Fayose. They went to court and disgrased EFCC
then why will the state government be the one to pay legal services of an individual... Why can't udom pay legal from his own personal account why using government money to pay for personal legal fee...
We are completely doom in this part of the world
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by semyman: 8:42am On Dec 08, 2018
NOC1:

If you are following American politics you will know that legal fees can be questioned. I am referencing the Mike Cohen's (Mr fix it) President Trump Lawyer who is undergoing interrogation over series of accusation including amounts been paid to him for Legal works.
Ignore that slowpoke spewing on what he knows nothing about
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by tinsel: 8:45am On Dec 08, 2018
Hedonini:

What is the meaning of accomplice? Someone that helps you steal or someone that you merely spend your proceeds of theft on?

If the latter is the case, then everybody in this world is an accomplice of illegal money. Whatever it is you're selling, somebody has bought it with illegally made money.

If I provide services to you, and you pay me for my services, I don't bloody care how you got the money. That's the way life is, and the law is on my side as long as I can prove that the payment is for services rendered.

Forget this long grammar. Let the EFCC go and get a conviction let us see. It's a complete waste of time and prosecutory resources.
Is a receiver of a stolen good not also liable?
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by hakeem4shi(m): 8:49am On Dec 08, 2018
And as a lawyer, he didn’t know receiving misappropriated money is a crime? He has the nerve to say it our? No shame again!
paragon40:
they should go and hold the Governor, EFCC has no good case against the NBA President, the question is, is he entitled to his professional fees or not.
Yes or no??
In my own opinion yes.
They should hold the Governor for misappropriation of public fund(s).

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Odumanudo: 8:55am On Dec 08, 2018
Legal fees can be subjected to investigation if there is suspicion of acts of money laundering. The fees were allegedly paid directly from Akwa-Ibom State Government's coffers. EFCC is on the right track. Is Usoro not aware that the fees were sourced from illegal channel? The payment method will either nailed him or set him free. On a moral ground, this is totally appalling, N1.2b for election tribunal matter. Imagine what that huge amount will do in numbers of primary schools in Akwa-Ibom State can be renovated and equipped with ICT facilities or hospitals fixed.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by contigiency(m): 9:07am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:

Since it was not the state government that was petitioned, why should the government be the one paying for such services? The petition was against the person of Udom Emmanuel and PDP and not the state government. And look at the huge sum of public money being talked about here. It should worry everybody.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 08, 2018
prigoz:
Must EFCC display their ignorance in public domain. When does client fees turns to offence, if this joins APC, he will become saint over night

You're very stupid. Government money for private legal service abi? Weyrey

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 08, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

But it's not illegal na.

So Udoms legal case is govts legal case? I bin think say u wise

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by Babinski: 9:25am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:

Since when you use State Government money to pay personal legal fees!

A law should be made that State Governors who abuse their office like this should be removed immediately because being allowed to continue in the name of immunity is not to the benefit of the People.

Serving the People without unnecessary interruption is the basis of the immunity enjoyed by the Governor, so it is clear he cannot enjoy that immunity while harming the People and betraying their trust!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by duni04(m): 9:32am On Dec 08, 2018
badmrkt:
then Mr Usoro has no case to answer, rather they should question Mr Udom instead.
They obviously can't (immunity) so they're going for the next best thing instead. But any payment from a government account to a private account (not Paul usoros chambers account, his personal company acccount) without evidence of any kind of work done or service rendered and without documentation, is definitely money laundering. Usoro should explain what his company did for the state government to warrant money transfers.
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by ajl: 9:34am On Dec 08, 2018
Heartbender:

Stupid. It was the governor that won his case, not the Akwa Ibom State Government. His court case is his personal business and tge legal fees has to come from his personal account, not from the state govt account. The Akwa Ibom State govt is separate entity from the governor.

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by jshow(m): 9:36am On Dec 08, 2018
Why must they pay using the state government accounts... using state funds for use is criminal

1 Like

Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by candygist: 9:51am On Dec 08, 2018
nelcliff:

He simply gave you and example. Plato and Aristotle are not Nigerians but they are used by Nigerian lecturers to site examples . Be rational
Re: NBA President Says Gov Udom Paid Him N1.4bn For Legal Services -EFCC by DateMynd44(m): 9:53am On Dec 08, 2018
sluk:
So Udom could spend this much to defend a seat he doesn't deserve? Meanwhile civil servants are suffering and he keeps telling them there's no money.
up till now we're not paid oh.
life is so tough bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Residents Take Self-Imposed Leave To Welcome Buhari In Yobe / Comply Strictly With New Date; ECOWAS, EU Election Observers tell INEC / Okorocha Demands Apology From Governor Ihedioha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.