Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities (8746 Views)

Dangote Listed Among World’s 50 Most Influential Persons / Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. / Time Lists Jonathan, Obama, Messi Among World’s 100 Most Influential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 6:11pm On Aug 03, 2010
sjeezy8:

I still dont know any igbo industrialist- and Im not even being tribalistic

Yet Igbos states and Igbos in general are wealthier than other groups in Nigeria.

These Yoruba "industrialist" are not very special since I do not see any project they can brag about.

Not trying to be tribalistic either.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 6:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
When people think of Yorubas and money, people think of a people who spend all their money on lavish parties, which makes them broke.

When a person thinks of an Igbo, they see a people who are very business minded and serious about their money. Likened to Jews. This is known not only in Nigeria, but throughout Africa.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
EzeUche22:

Yet Igbos states and Igbos in general are wealthier than other groups in Nigeria.

These Yoruba "industrialist" is not very special since I do not see any project they can brag about.

Not trying to be tribalistic either.

If igbo states are wealthier in Nigeria then why the cause for kidnapping and crime in SE and the call for biafra?
You said it yourself that kidnapping in the SE is due to unemployment in the SE cause by the governement ignoring the SE.

If igbos are the wealthiest in Nigeria doesnt that mean they are the only ones benefitting from Nigerias structure?

I mean thats just common sense you cant complain about Nigeria margnilizaing igbo and the next minute say igbos are the wealthiest in Nigeria. which one is it?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
. . .
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
sjeezy8:

If igbo states are wealthier in Nigeria then why the cause for kidnapping and crime in SE and the call for biafra?
You said it yourself that kidnapping in the SE is due to unemployment in the SE cause by the governement ignoring the SE.

If igbos are the wealthiest in Nigeria doesnt that mean they are the only ones benefitting from Nigerias structure?

I mean thats just common sense you cant complain about Nigeria margnilizaing igbo and the next minute say igbos are the wealthiest in Nigeria. which one is it?

Politics and Economics is two different things. You should know that.

In an Igbo state, you NEVER see someone begging for money. Only beggars in Alaigbo are the Hausa. Kidnapping is on the rise, but that does not mean Igbo states are not wealthy. I seen more impoverished people in Yorubaland than I have ever seen in Alaigbo.  Also, Igbos are marginalized when it comes politics, that is no SECRET, but we are controlling through finances. We practically own Abuja and half of Lagos so what does that tell you?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by philip0906(m): 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
@sjeezy
we r d wealthiest not cos we r enjoying anything(whatz d thing 2 enjoy in Nigeria) but simply b'cos we r enterprising(I'm sure u can bear witness 2 dat). . .we got d brains and zeal 2 make it.I have never seen any igbo man begging in y life(prolly there r some who do dat). . .
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Nchara: 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
Igbos are the least affected by poverty. That has been shown over and over again. There are just about a few wealthy Nigerians and that is spread all over. Most wealthy Yoruba and hausa got to be wealthy from stolen, corrupt money.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
EzeUche22:

Politics and Economics is two different things. You should know that.

In an Igbo state, you NEVER see someone begging for money. Only beggars in Alaigbo are the Hausa. Kidnapping is on the rise, but that does not mean Igbo states are not wealthy. I seen more impoverished people in Yorubaland than I have ever seen in Alaigbo.  Also, Igbos are marginalized when it comes politics, that is no SECRET, but we are controlling through finances. We practically own Abuja and half of Lagos so what does that tell you?

what are you saying doesnt unemplyment have to do with economics and politics- You said igbo states are Wealthiest in Nigeria- Now youre saying something different again.

philip0906:

@sjeezy
we r d wealthiest not cos we r enjoying anything(whatz d thing 2 enjoy in Nigeria) but simply b'cos we r enterprising(I'm sure u can bear witness 2 dat). . .we got d brains and zeal 2 make it.I have never seen any igbo man begging in y life(prolly there r some who do dat). . .

shut your mouth he said SE states are the wealthiest in Nigeria I would like to know how. I never said they werent All I said is why did he preivously say kidnapping in the SE is caused by unmeployment in the SE.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by philip0906(m): 6:26pm On Aug 03, 2010
@sjeezy
y dey dey vex? grin grin sote u dey tell me make I shut my mouth
How d'u rate wealthy states if I may ask? undecided
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
philip0906:

@sjeezy
y dey dey vex? grin grin sote u dey tell me make I shut my mouth
How d'u rate wealthy states if I may ask? undecided

you are asking me? Ask Ezeuche hes the one that said SE states are the wealthiest.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chyz(m): 6:36pm On Aug 03, 2010
Nchara:

Igbos are the least affected by poverty. That has been shown over and over again. There are just about a few wealthy Nigerians and that is spread all over. Most wealthy Yoruba and hausa got to be wealthy from stolen, corrupt money.

Gbam! grin
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chyz(m): 6:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
sjeezy8:

Wrong the Igbo man/woman's hard work as an individual has nothing to do with the government of nigeria. However, when revenue,appontments, and federal structure is not appoint out to the SE as the other zones then that is what you call marginalization. Use your brain. wink
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Justcash(m): 6:42pm On Aug 03, 2010
seanet02:

@justcash, so you own lagos yet you can mention a single industrialist that can match the people i talked about. Its better you take your arrogance to onitsha and see how many people will patronise you.

[b]So one needs to match them in order to be an industrialist? You gat to be a big joker. What is the means of measuring the "MATCH" issue?
Well I am an industrialist. There are millions of Igbos that are industrialists in Lagos like me. Like I said, I own several  properties in every part of Lagos, bought from frantic money seeking Yoruba Nigerians who wants to use the money for OWAMBE PARTIES and to marry more wives. Yes,  there are  few Yoruba industrialists, but they are like dots of black grains of rice in a heap of white grains of rice. You were fast to mention Otedola, and even Jimoh Ibrahim who is not even an efficient businessman. These guys you mentioned gat political backing and help in executing corrupt contracts which oils their pockets. This is why they rush to drop hundreds of millions to support election candidates. This act is not unique to Yorubas, We have Igbo men like Emeka Offor and Hausa men like Dangote doing the same thing. However, Igbos in general don't depend on free cakes to build businesses. We hustle to do it.

After school, what Igbos think about next is business, even when they are working. That is why there are so many Igbo industrialists. I will give you an evidence. Do you know why Igbos move out of Igboland alot to other lands? In search of competitive advantage in business. Igbos go to the thickest places as long as they can gain a means to obtain a sort of competitive advantage that will make them profitable.
We are not in lagos because Lagos is beautiful.  We are there because of the domestic consumption ability there. The population in lagos makes goods to sell fast. Also the fact that the landing ports are in Lagos is of cost advantage. In Onitsha the competition is intense. There is more selling among residents of Onitsha than buying. The opposite is the case in Lagos. More buyers than sellers.
The issue remains that once the number of buyers reduce in Lagos and the market becomes saturated, Igbos will move out of Lagos to where the population is moving to.  I said this to prove those people that thinks that Igbos are in lagos because it is a wonderful city wrong.
[/b]
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:45pm On Aug 03, 2010
chyz:

Wrong the Igbo man/woman's hard work as an individual has nothing to do with the government of nigeria. However, when revenue,appontments, and federal structure is not appoint out to the SE as the other zones then that is what you call marginalization. Use your brain. wink

idiot who jumped in tho convo and didnt know wtf was being discussed.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by seanet02: 6:46pm On Aug 03, 2010
@nchara, so YORUBA got their money from corruption in government? North has produced the highest amount of leaders in this country so rephrase your shallow oblongota
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chyz(m): 6:46pm On Aug 03, 2010
Oh yeah and Odetola is known to be a thief even by your own people( the yorubas)  wink.

And about the kidnapping thing theres a lot of wealthy people in the East so why wouldnt the ones who arent wealthy try to kidnap them? lol. Use your brain.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chyz(m): 6:48pm On Aug 03, 2010
sjeezy8:

who jumped in tho convo and didnt know wtf was being discussed.

You mad because im stating the facts and you know im right omo. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by tpiah: 6:52pm On Aug 03, 2010
chyz:

Use your brain. wink

another irony.

chyz:

last time i checked, dora akunyuli is igbo. So is soludo.

as per the rest of your post, is ogun state also marginalized since bankole complained about the lack of federal presence there.

what about the other non-eastern nigerian states who can say the same.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Nchara: 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2010
seanet02:

@nchara, so YORUBA got their money from corruption in government? North has produced the highest amount of leaders in this country so rephrase your shallow oblongota

Between 1999 and 2007 when Yoruba was in charge, the money stolen by Yoruba people outed those stolen by hausa/fulani over the years. IBB is accused of 5 billion USD Obj is accused of 16 billion USD and even more.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2010
chyz:

You mad because im stating the facts and you know im right omo. grin grin grin grin grin

YOU SOUND LIKE AN ASSS. cause you really dont know what the convo was about. as its expads into different threads and not just this one. dik head youre an idiot.

chyz:

Oh yeah and Odetola is known to be a thief even by your own people( the yorubas)  wink.

If you think hes a thief you should go and prosecute him- what does that have to do with yoruba people.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Nchara: 6:54pm On Aug 03, 2010
Bank-ole is nothing but an ole.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:55pm On Aug 03, 2010
Nchara:

Between 1999 and 2007 when Yoruba was in charge, the money stolen by Yoruba people outed those stolen by hausa/fulani over the years. IBB is accused of 5 billion USD Obj is accused of 16 billion USD and even more.

an igbo was finance minister, CBN and the power minister was your brother imoke. so wetting concern yoruba folks.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Nchara: 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
Look at those accused by EFCC. The list is on the other thread. Most are yoruba. Imoke is not Igbo. He is cross river. Obasanjo was in charge and all good and bad goes to him as the leader.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chyz(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
tpiah:

another irony.

last time i checked, dora akunyuli is igbo. So is soludo.

as per the rest of your post,  is ogun state also marginalized since bankole complained about the lack of federal presence there.

what about the other non-eastern nigerian states who can say the same.

Im still waiting for your point  wink
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2010
Nchara:

Look at those accused by EFCC. The list is on the other thread. Most are yoruba. Imoke is not Igbo. He is cross river. Obasanjo was in charge and all good and bad goes to him as the leader.

lol what do you want me to do?  HAHAHAH
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by tpiah: 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
chyz:

Im still waiting for your point wink

^^ok.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 7:02pm On Aug 03, 2010
Last post on this thread-

If you guys have a problem with Otedola and Obj please go to naija confront them and their igbo wives/concubines. Im a helpless Nigeria lol has nothing to do with me.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by asha80(m): 7:06pm On Aug 03, 2010
Sjeezy8 et all this is for you written by a yoruba man;

Industry: In the cultural universe of the Yoruba nation, a man of industry is highly regarded and respected. Without necessarily placing the Yoruba in any levitating and proud pedestal, we are Nigeria’s natural business moguls. The Yoruba race have the largest industrialists in the late 70’s until early 80’s before the decay set in and the Igbo took control.

Omoluwabi: Re-igniting Yoruba Lost Values-1
Taju Tijani
May 20, 2010
More from this author

By Taju Tijani

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/taju-tijani/omoluwabi-re-igniting-yoruba-lost-values-1.html
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2010
next thing wey dem go talk na say the man ibo man wit yoruba name, lol, rubbish.even their dominance in the 70 s /80s was prolly cos the ibos were recoverin from a devastatin war.i will say it again, just in case youall didnt read well the first time, these people r nothing more than the taxidrivers and vulcanisers they r
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 7:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
phantom:

next thing wey dem go talk na say the man ibo man wit yoruba name, lol, rubbish.even their dominance in the 70 s /80s was prolly cos the ibos were recoverin from a devastatin war.i will say it again, just in case youall didnt read well the first time, these people r nothing more than the taxidrivers and vulcanisers they r

thanks we know-
but look in the list before the war started-

[b]Africa: The Nigerian Millionaires[/b]Friday, Sep. 17, 1965

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842145,00.html#ixzz0vZI7vPtD

Along with pride in status and problems of self-government, independence for the 31 nations of black Africa means the emergence of black businessmen. A few flourish on cottage industries, that early stage of every economy; some are the opportunistic agents of the colonial companies that formerly ruled them. Now, however, more of Africa's new businessmen are not only university-trained and experienced but surprisingly sophisticated in trade and finance. In Equatorial Africa, it is no longer unusual to see a $200,000 letter of credit emerging from the folds of a native robe. Nowhere is the new African businessman doing better than in Nigeria, black Africa's most populous and most prosperous nation. With a population of 55 million and an economy that grows 4% each year, the number of Nigerian millionaires is growing almost as fast as the country itself.

Peanuts & Petroleum. Even before Britain withdrew five years ago, Nigeria had a flourishing trade, exporting peanuts, cotton, palm kernels and cocoa and importing in exchange manufactured goods, foods and tobacco The first native millionaires made their money by competing with the white man for his trade. Among Nigeria's richest businessmen is Alhaji Sanusi Dantata 46, who buys and ships much of the rich Kano region's peanut crop. Dantata's agents last year bought 84,000 tons from small farmers, paid with traditional handfuls of coin counted out in dusty village squares[b]. Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu 66, [/b] knighted shortly before independence, started off by importing dried fish for resale to the nonfishing Nigerians then decided to ship the fish inland himself instead of leaving the job to others. He also amassed the country's largest fleet of "mammy wagons," the trucks that carry Nigerians (including market women, which gives the trucks their name) from place to place.

In today's new Nigeria, businessmen are more likely to succeed by producing new goods or services. Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony, 59, known as "The Black Englishman" for his impeccable manners and imperturbable air, began by importing cuckoo clocks and marble statues. He now controls or owns part of ten companies, including a tanker fleet and a charter airline. Emmanuel Akwiwu, 43, earned law degrees at Cambridge; returning home just as Nigeria's oil boom began he organized a company that now has 70 vehicles, hauls oil rigs and supplies for British Petroleum Ltd. Chief Shafi Lawal Edu, 54, who is president of Lagos' chamber of commerce, has built a fleet of eight oil tankers. He owns a silver-blue Rolls-Royce, but usually drives around in a Mercedes—thinks it is less ostentatious.

No Need to Clash. Many Nigerian businessmen have taken advantage of the novel opportunities that inevitably accompany broadening prosperity. Chief Timothy Adeola Odutola, 63, a onetime farmer, developed a business to produce bicycle tires for the growing army of bikes, has done so well that he is adding a $1,700,000 plant, plans eventually to harvest his own rubber from his 5,000-acre plantation. A former office worker, Ade Tuyo, 63, cast around for a business that would have 'first priority in people's spending" opened a bakery that today has four shops and makes 115 products. The firm's unusual name—De Facto Works Ltd.—was shrewdly chosen by Tuyo to impress Nigerian bankers with the fact that he was seriously in business

Bayo Braithwaite, 36, one of Nigeria's younger businessmen, left a British insurance company to found a firm that would write life insurance on Nigerians which the British underwriters avoided. So successful has Braithwaite been that his African Alliance Insurance Co Ltd occupies a six-story Lagos home office and has 300 bush-beating agents. Braithwaite lives in an elegant house in suburban Ikoyi, where glass and concrete are deliberately intermixed with African folk art to prove that "the two need never clash."

So, it is, too, with Nigerian business. The Nigerians feel that they and their onetime white masters need never clash. "The time is coming," says Timothy Udutola, " when we will produce more than we can consume and we will have to look outside Nigeria for markets" Against that time, Nigeria is seeking joint ventures in Europe and the U.S., has also concluded negotiations for eventual associate membership in the European Common Market. Already it exports more to the Market than to its old master, Britain.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842145-2,00.html#ixzz0vZIpqXfC

1 2 NEXT PAGE »

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842145,00.html#ixzz0vZHnanxp

Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by sjeezy8: 7:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
asha 80:

Sjeezy8 et all this is for you written by a yoruba man;

[b][/b]

Taju Tijani
May 20, 2010
More from this author

By Taju Tijani

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/taju-tijani/omoluwabi-re-igniting-yoruba-lost-values-1.html

he has his opinion but I still think his generalization is wrong and he seems to ethnocentric and blinded with bias.

kinda like the Way some igbo writers may see igbo on the underside ignoring what ever positives there might be.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by seanet02: 7:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
@nchara, so you were living under the rock in the isolated desert of yours when OKIGBO TALK OF $12.5 BILLION GULF OIL EMBEZZLED BY THE EVIL GENIUS. You reason like a reptile of the arabian desert trying to break a rock with his softened head.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fuel prices was never subsidised, "subsidy removal" is pure deceit - Buhari / U. S Attorney Sues Buratai And Fg over invasion in Nnamdi Kanu's house. photos / Elections: NCC Suspends Ban On Unsolicited Text Messaging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.