Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities (8747 Views)

Dangote Listed Among World’s 50 Most Influential Persons / Nigeria Ranked Among World’s Poorest Competitive Countries. / Time Lists Jonathan, Obama, Messi Among World’s 100 Most Influential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by MetalGong3: 1:40am On Aug 02, 2010
UN rates Onitsha among world’s fastest growing cities
From Our reporter
Monday, August 02, 2010

Gov. Peter Obi
Photo: Sun News Publishing 
More Stories on This Section
The United Nation,UN Habitat has rated the commercial city of Onitsha among the five fastest growing cities in the world. The photographs of the cities will be formerly displayed in Shangai, China in October during the world exbition to mark the UN-Habitat Day. 

The UN-Habitat team led by a famous international photographer, Mr. Alessandro Scotti disclosed this during a courtesy call on Governor Peter Obi at the Government House, Awka.

According to Scotti, the other four cities are in Morocco, China, Malaysia and Brazil.  He said Onitsha was chosen for the project because of its peculiar significance and noted that its display to the world will showcase its unique attributes.

Mr Scotti who thanked Governor Obi for establishing collaboration between Anambra State and UN-Habitat, noted that the project will further strengthen the partnership aimed at developing the city and the state.

Responding, Governor Obi said the choice of Onitsha for the project was a further sign of world’s recognition and interest in the state.  He explained that the state’s partnership with UN-Habitat has restored hope that the state will be rebuilt in an organized manner and restated the commitment of his administration to rebuilding the cities in line with structural plans.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Lands, Mr. Peter Afuba said the recognition of Onitsha and Anambra State was a result of Governor Obi’s efforts and recorded achievements in town planning. 

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/aug/02/national-02-08-2010-019.htm
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Nchara: 1:49am On Aug 02, 2010
It is not what the UN thinks about Onitsha that matters. Brother Metalgong3, what do you think? We need photos thanks.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by babapupa: 3:37am On Aug 02, 2010
lol, fastest growing in terms of what? Kidnapping?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by MetalGong3: 3:45am On Aug 02, 2010
babapupa:

lol, fastest growing in terms of what? Kidnapping?

Senile old fool . . . . . . You think this resembles the usual Fashola propaganda you always spew on this forum.

GBOMOGBOMO 1
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by naijaking1: 5:14am On Aug 02, 2010
The Nigerian federal government efforts to supress, alter, and falsify census figures that don't agree with their own political agenda can't stand the test of time.
Alhaji Makama's figures from the last census obviously showed a different data compared to the UNs. Shame embarassed
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 6:30am On Aug 02, 2010
I still question the population figures in Nigeria. Onitsha an Igbo town is considered one of the world's fastest growing cities. We are not talking about only in Nigeria, not only in Africa, but the world. Who is adding to this rapid population growth of this old city? An explosion of Igbo births? People from the East are flocking to this city?

I still believe that the Hausa-Fulani are not the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. I know there are large numbers of Yorubas and Igbos and I believe both groups alone are more than the Hausa-Fulani. Igbos populations are not being counted, Yoruba populations are not being counted while Hausa populations are being inflated.

A desert population cannot hold large populations, in which the Hausa claim that their region is more populated than Southern Nigeria.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Ikengawo: 6:45am On Aug 02, 2010
hey douche. maybe a lot more people are moving to onitsha in general?

nice logic though buddy.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by naijaking1: 6:57am On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

I still question the population figures in Nigeria. Onitsha an Igbo town is considered one of the world's fastest growing cities. We are not talking about only in Nigeria, not only in Africa, but the world. Who is adding to this rapid population growth of this old city? An explosion of Igbo births? People from the East are flocking to this city?

I still believe that the Hausa-Fulani are not the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. I know there are large numbers of Yorubas and Igbos and I believe both groups alone are more than the Hausa-Fulani. Igbos populations are not being counted, Yoruba populations are not being counted while Hausa populations are being inflated.

A desert population cannot hold large populations, in which the Hausa claim that their region is more populated than Southern Nigeria.
My uncle, a retired ministry of planning official insists that by their own figures(fed. min of planning), the Mbaise/Owerri axis was the most densly populated part of west Africa per square mile. This was as of the 1960s census. This was when census was linked to tax collection and not just sharing of the national cake.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by excanny: 5:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
I'm glad the truth is gradually coming. I have long admired the potentials of this city. Oh! If only the Lagos port would be de-monopolized.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 5:36pm On Aug 02, 2010
excanny:

I'm glad the truth is gradually coming. I have long admired the potentials of this city. Oh! If only the Lagos port would be de-monopolized.

Agreed. However, I feel Lagos will soon be facing stiff competition from towns such as Onitsha and Port Harcourt in the near future. Just hope for the best and hopefuly, investments will flood into the East like it should do.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by TewMuch: 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

Agreed. However, I feel Lagos will soon be facing stiff competition from towns such as Onitsha and Port Harcourt in the near future. Just hope for the best and hopefuly, investments will flood into the East like it should do.

Why cant lagos face competition right now? Why in the NEAR FUTURE Please you people should double your efforts so that the competition can start tomorrow. cool
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 5:43pm On Aug 02, 2010
TewMuch:

Why cant lagos face competition right now? Why in the NEAR FUTURE Please you people should double your efforts so that the competition can start tomorrow. cool

Was Rome built in a day? It takes time for cities to reach high levels of importance. As people continue to invest in Onitsha and Port Harcourt, these cities will soon rival Lagos. Hopefully, they wont go the route of Lagos in terms of lack of planning.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by ezeagu(m): 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2010
Onitsha has a long way to go, sure growth is nice, but let's not rejoice over the creation of another Lagos. undecided First they have to change the stupǐd British spelling.

The cities land size is quite small so neighbouring towns may have to be incorporated in the near future.

And concerning the census, Onitsha is 'officially' (by Nigeria) placed with an estimated population of around 500,000, while Kano's population is 'estimated' at 3 million. Calling the census 'fake' is a redundant understatement.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by asha80(m): 5:51pm On Aug 02, 2010
What Onitsha needs is very rigorous urban planning.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by naijaking1: 6:01pm On Aug 02, 2010
ezeagu:

Onitsha has a long way to go, sure growth is nice, but let's not rejoice over the creation of another Lagos. undecided First they have to change the silly British spelling.

The cities land size is quite small so neighbouring towns may have to be incorporated in the near future.

And concerning the census, Onitsha is 'officially' (by Nigeria) placed with an estimated population of around 500,000, while Kano's population is 'estimated' at 3 million. Calling the census 'fake' is a redundant understatement.

Most cities naturally grow outwards, just name them- Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. So, with good planning, we can expect Onitsha to expand west across the river to Asaba, east to as far as Awka, and then north and south. If only the federal and state governments would be market oriented, the city has potentials.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by ezeagu(m): 6:09pm On Aug 02, 2010
naijaking1:

Most cities naturally grow outwards, just name them- Atlanta, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. So, with good planning, we can expect Onitsha to expand west across the river to Asaba, east to as far as Awka, and then north and south. If only the federal and state governments would be market oriented, the city has potentials.

I'm talking about setting official boundaries and enforcing it through the urban boundaries council. This way there won't be chaos through the mixture of villages, cultural regions and environmental damage. I don't think Asaba and Onitsha will join over the mile wide Niger river, and I don't think it should, cities west of Onitsha will be joined, but it needs to be planned.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by naijaking1: 6:40pm On Aug 02, 2010
ezeagu:

I'm talking about setting official boundaries and enforcing it through the urban boundaries council. This way there won't be chaos through the mixture of villages, cultural regions and environmental damage. I don't think Asaba and Onitsha will join over the mile wide Niger river, and I don't think it should, cities west of Onitsha will be joined, but it needs to be planned.

No city will grow with its boundaries carved in stone. The cities need to be plastic, and have a tendency to expand.
For example, the administrative office of Atlanta is located downtown, but the metropolis extends from Villa Rica(W) to Lithonia(E), and from Unioncity(S) to as far north as Liliburn.
There is no way of enforcing the so-called urban boundries council without shortchanging somebody along the way. Are you going to forcefully expand Onitsha beyond Mkpor, and force Obosi to become Onitsha? All these places can equally develop under Onitsha metropolis and yet retain their own local identities. We can learn from older and bigger cities around the World.
Already, Asaba and Onitsha have almost merged, because many people working in Onitsha live in Asaba, and vis versa. Rivers don't usually stop a city from expanding.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by bkbabe97y(m): 7:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

. As people continue to invest in Onitsha and Port Harcourt, these cities will soon rival Lagos. Hopefully, they wont go the route of Lagos in terms of lack of planning.

Hmmmmn, everything is always a CONTEST WITH THOSE DAMN YORUBAS, HUH?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by redsun(m): 7:55pm On Aug 02, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Lagos is the financial capital of nigeria and was the federal capita,muderfucker.It is not always about tribal bigotry that your world seems to revolve on.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by chosen04(f): 7:59pm On Aug 02, 2010
bk.babe97y:

. . . .And who is this ONYE NWURA AWNU NA AGA IJE?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Afam4eva(m): 9:02pm On Aug 02, 2010
It's ridiculous how the FG tries to suppress the population of Igbo cities. Do you guys know that Encarta puts the population of Onitsha at a little over 300,000? while a twon like Ogbomoso is about 900,000. Isn't this just ridiculous.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 9:54pm On Aug 02, 2010
o shut up about lagos already!compare your neighbouring states with states in the SE and SS, then ull know you aint different from your brothers up north.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 10:00pm On Aug 02, 2010
how much sole 'yoruba effort' was put into lagos?what is the percentage of your corporate topshots in the general yoruba population?
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 10:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
every body is movin to lagos!yeah, you mean the imbeciles and never do wells you r lookin for a place to eat three square dogrejected meals wit 50 bucks?lol
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by philip0906(m): 10:08pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^
u still an amateur at throwing jibes. . . grin grin grin
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 10:20pm On Aug 02, 2010
you must be a pro then abi? achievements:throwin jibes on nl, lol, louse.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by MetalGong4: 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2010
phantom:

you must be a pro then abi? achievements:throwin jibes on nl, lol, louse.
C'mmon get your fu4cked up asz outta this thread . . . .  Foolish Yoruba man.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by tpiah: 10:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
no need to post photos or anything like that.

much easier to do the anti yoruba tirade thing.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by phantom(m): 10:34pm On Aug 02, 2010
metal, awuhum onye ofe mmamu, lekwe kwa anya ofuma
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by Abagworo(m): 10:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
afam4eva:

It's ridiculous how the FG tries to suppress the population of Igbo cities. Do you guys know that Encarta puts the population of Onitsha at a little over 300,000? while a twon like Ogbomoso is about 900,000. Isn't this just ridiculous.

anambra politics is the reason for the figure.onitsha has always been 300,000 to 500,000 and will never increase.obosi,awada,nkpor,ogbaru and idemili are not onitsha.if you observe carefully the figure of onitsha urban area is well above 1 million but onitsha proper has reached its limit.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by tpiah: 10:45pm On Aug 02, 2010
phantom:

metal, awuhum onye ofe mmamu, lekwe kwa anya ofuma

obviously, you are a terrible coward.

if them born you well, type in english, monkey.
Re: Un Rates Onitsha Among World's Fastest Growing Cities by EzeUche22(m): 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2010
tpiah:

obviously, you are a terrible coward.

if them born you well, type in english, monkey.

tpiah,

Calm down old woman. It is not that serious. If you can't understand what he said, just ask nicely and maybe one of us may translate for you. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Foreigners Arrested For Attempting To Vandalise Pipeline / US Congress To Conduct Public Hearing On Boko-Haram / UN Reject Catalonia Call For Independence From Spain. UN Says It's Illegitimate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.