Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope (18223 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by AjanleKoko: 12:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
papiforreal:

sir iam similar in similar dilemma with the op presntly. Iam level 3 student of quantity surveying and my CGPA is not impressive, just 2.82. Iam thinking of stepping down level 2 in other related department like Building techonology because am afraid of graduating with 2.2. Many people have advised me that my course being professinal one just like architecture, i dont really need to step down as i can easily be self employed.
Need your advice pls

You want to step down because of 2:1. Hmm. I am not sure school works like that oh. You may have to go and start over in some cases.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Tobbey(m): 1:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
THATS BETTER. HE SHOULD STEP DOWN. IT WILL GO A LONG WAY IN HELPING HIM
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Nhiran: 3:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
PaulJohn1: ^^
PGD helps to deviate into education proper in the course you've studied. Even with your Ph.D, you have to get your PGD to lecture in institutions or to teach in high school
PGD as stepping stone to attain M.sc for those with a CGPA below 3.00 is incorrect.

A pal of mine graduated with a CGPA below 3.00 and presently he's almost done with his M.sc program in Moscow, plus he's starting his Ph.D this year without ever knowing anything as PGD.

Another instance is of a close young lady that graduated with a 3rd class, lost hope just like the OP and went for PGD in order to deviate from being just a graduate of Macro Biology to being an educationist in Macro biology which qualifies her to lecture in that field. Luckily for her she was admitted for M.sc even in a Nigerian university without tendering her PGD certificate.

The first guy of a CGPA bellow 3.0 did his M.sc without any PGD.
The other lady with a 3rd class was admitted for her M.sc program even in a Nigerian University. Did her PGD not for M.sc but to become an educationist in that field.

There are guys who went for PGD with their HND and even OND certificate. Exceptional cases are those who added education to their main course in the university, because PGD curriculum has been included while in uni, but are limited to lecturing or teaching and not as a professional of their course but educationist.
post gradute diploma PGD allow HND holder and degree with low Cgp to apply for M.sc while Post graduate diploma in education PGDE make you qualify teacher
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
AjanleKoko:

You want to step down because of 2:1. Hmm. I am not sure school works like that oh. You may have to go and start over in some cases.

i have thrown the issue at you sir Looking for you advise but you are just trying to dodge and allow me to continue in my confusion.

Iam about to make a biggest decision in my life carrers pls.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by AjanleKoko: 7:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
papiforreal:

i have thrown the issue at you sir Looking for you advise but you are just trying to dodge and allow me to continue in my confusion.

Iam about to make a biggest decision in my life carrers pls.

Bros don't pin it on me oh shocked

Anyway . . . I don't think you need to be scared of graduating with 2:2. You can always do a masters to augment.
Plus if you plan to work in the construction industry, I'm not sure they are so particular about grades. Most people in that industry are on a fast-track to entrepreneurship. The ones who are in paid employment are usually busy with one side job or the other.

Anyway - if you want to step down to get a better grade, there are a few factors to consider, as follows:

1. The objective for stepping down: We run a course-based system in Nigeria. You can't 'repeat', technically speaking. If you've passed a course,. you can't take it anymore. You probably will need to move to a different faculty or course of study, that does not have most of the course credit you already carry. In many cases people have to start over from JAMB.

2. The new course of study, how much less rigorous is it compared, and will you be able to cope?
You may end up even getting a worse grade if you step down from, say, surveying, to Building Tech. The differences aren't that much. But many science or engineering students move to accounting or economics and do much better there.

3. Your age. You don't want to spend the rest of your life in school, pally.

I hope this helps wink

3 Likes

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by lexy12345(m): 8:48am On Sep 13, 2015
[quote author=tamai post=6561305]The third class issue again, i graduated from chemistry with a 3rd class.
Someone told me then that it was going to b a spring board in my life,and indeed it has.
I just concluded my pgd in chemistry with a 4point, and intend going for my masters.I'm also
about going for my HSE professional course.The best part is I have a job.The secret-don't see it as a limitation.
See it as a spring board.
@Tamai, can u plz contact me 08063914909, really needs ur advice
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by kenny160: 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
d guy no come back again o ga oo
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by JARUSHUB: 1:27pm On Jan 25, 2016
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by calculator123(m): 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2016
jesuorobo:
hello guys please i need your suggestions on what to do with my life am in my final year in the university and with the Way things are going am going to make a third class degree out of the university(with CGPA of 1.35 and 17 outstanding courses) what do i do, is their any solution,is it possible for me to go and do a masters degree please i need your suggestions
my course of study is business administration and i intend to do my masters degree abroad. or is there still any hope of making a 2:2.
try to get an "A" grade in all 17 courses u have a chance to move to 2.2then from there,u can do what's rocks ur boat
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by calculator123(m): 2:09pm On Jan 25, 2016
VALIDATOR:
@poster,
Did you use mercenary/special center for your SSCE and JAMB?If you actually used to brain power to get into the university you will be able to know what has been distracting you from having a good academic performance. Nairaland has other sections that are directly related to your problem but you posted this in the fashion section. That teaches me something else about you.
he must be a fashionista you know.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by calculator123(m): 2:11pm On Jan 25, 2016
ManaalKz:
Hi guys! I'm also a graduate with a Third Class Degree in Computer Science, please I need advice on what to do so that I can get a good job
what are your long and short term goals,what can of job do u require? answer these then i can help cc jarus l,xfire,durrent,mathchic
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by calculator123(m): 2:14pm On Jan 25, 2016
AjanleKoko:

Surprised his department let him carry over so many outstanding courses. Sounds like 2+ semesters of work failed. embarassed
@OP, don't they have pre-requisites in your school? You shouldn't even be in final year.
i don't thonk he is in his finals,he just made an assumption so he will start planning ahead
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by asalimpo(m): 1:01pm On Feb 14, 2016
if peeps could make good money without that 'paper' and gain respect, who'd a sh*t about school , silly tin-god lecturers and picky employers? People wud be planning on how to maximise their fun time- beach ing in bahamas or night crawling in vegas? - . Sincere, earnest, capable people willing to work can't find work because of some past issues!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

N150,000 Job Or Fully Funded Scholarship For Masters In Malaysia / N200k/month Earning Is No Longer The Way Out / Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.