Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC (24943 Views)

EndSars: We Have Received Reports Of Crimes - ICC Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda / Bounty Placed On CSP James Nwafor: Wanted For Crimes Against Humanity. / 9 Animals That Committed Crimes And Were Caught Red-handed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by duni04(m): 11:05pm On Dec 10, 2018
RTSC:

What body language? You are seriously asking me that.
What has buhari done to deal with sections of his military involved in crimes against humanity? Even in the recent shia shooting.
Absolutely nothing.

Your government is culpable and you are sharing the culpability with them by supporting inhumanity.

Trump just pulled out of the ICC. Why?
Because the ICC is holding the US government to account.
So there is no way you can accuse the ICC of hypocrisy.

They have called out nations far powerful than Nigeria. It is not their fault those nations are stronger.

Even then, the US government has done enough in trampling Human Rights violations within its own military.

A lot of soldiers are in American jail for that.

What has Nigeria done?
What has Buhari done? Is this a 19th century kingdom where the king orders for the head of people that commit crimes? I like Buharis style of following procedure and not usurping the roles of agencies saddled with certain responsibilities.
The one i'm familiar with, the killing of Shias in Kaduna. The state government set up a commission to investigate. The commission concluded that the military had the right to react to provocative force from the protesters. Then the arbitrary killings by SARS, the VP started the reform SARS campaign with new rules and a help line to escalate rights abuses.
I'm not saying things are perfect human rights wise. I feel more needs to be done. But the ICC itself has no locus standi to poke it's nose anywhere in this country. The Nigerian human rights commission should be at the forefront of any human rights campaign in Nigeria. Not that dubious ICC.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by rexwalters: 11:07pm On Dec 10, 2018
Karatum:
Ghen-ghen!!

Bubu will spend his final days at the Hague. This life eeh!
You seem to have great sympathy for Boko Haram?
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Banter1(m): 11:11pm On Dec 10, 2018
Karatum:
Ghen-ghen!!
Bubu will spend his final days at the Hague. This life eeh!
lmao
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Xisnin(m): 11:13pm On Dec 10, 2018
DoTheNeedful:
I wonder why ICC only find third world leaders and military guilty of war crimes.

The Bush family and Tony Blair did a lot bad to humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet nobody has been called to book.

Obama and other Western leaders are responsible for the chaos in Libya and Syria today yet no one is talking about them.

It's like there is a different rule book for the Western leaders.

I have never seen any Western leader charged for war crimes yet we can see their negative impact everywhere.

While I believe third world leaders are to be checked, I am totally against the hypocrisy in global politics. undecided

It is not hypocrisy.
When herdsmen kill farmers, farmers cry to the UN.
When soldiers massacre civilians, the civilians cry out too.
You will start seeing western leaders charged for war crimes when they start mass killing their own citizens
or supporting ethnic cleansing.
Till then, they are saints.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Hadampson(m): 11:18pm On Dec 10, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
I spit on Mecca

I spit on Medina

I spit on Saudi Arabia for making this country Nigeria a shitthole

People usually say SENSE IS COMMON BUT WITH THIS COMMENT, NOW I SEE BETTER, SENSE IS NOT COMMON

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by aishatmusah(f): 11:33pm On Dec 10, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
The International Criminal Court (ICC) who released an annual report on preliminary examination activities (2018), stated that the Nigerian army has committed war crimes against humanity. 

According to the ICC, it has received “a total of 169 communications” from Nigeria and its assessment has shown that security forces in Nigeria have committed war crimes varying from murder, torture, and intentionally attacking the civilian population.

“Specifically, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that the NSF committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); torture, cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii); and intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population,” the ICC said.

According to Cableng, Fatou Bensouda, the ICC prosecutor disclosed that they also found reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram, also committed war crimes against humanity.

"Furthermore, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i) and outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii)”.

The ICC added that Boko Haram was “intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population or against individual civilians pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(i); intentionally directing attacks against buildings dedicated to education and to places of worship and similar institutions pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(iv); pillaging a town or place pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(v); rape, sexual slavery and sexual violence pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(vi)”.

The ICC also disclosed that they met with Abubakar Malami, Nigeria’s minister of justice and attorney general of the federation (AGF), to further investigate eight potential cases of Nigerian army war crimes against humanity.

ICC says several “files pertaining to alleged violations by members of the army were submitted to the Office (of the prosecutor). These files relate to a limited extent to the two potential cases identified by the Office”.

“Of the 27 files provided to the Office, 24 either lacked information to determine their relevance for the admissibility assessment or did not appear relevant.

The ICC complained that “other information specifically requested by the Office which was assessed to be potentially relevant to the admissibility assessment has yet to be provided by the Nigerian authorities”.

The ICC who also said it is examining the farmers-herders crisis in Nigeria, added since 2017, the Nigerian authorities appear to have “taken concrete steps toward fulfilling their primary responsibility to investigate and prosecute ICC crimes”. 

However the prosecutor noted that the Nigerian government always denies any allegations against the Nigerian army. 

“While there seems to be a tangible prospect of further proceedings against members of Boko Haram, including high-level commanders, at this stage the same cannot be said of the NSF, in particular since the Nigerian authorities tend to deny any allegation against the latter.

“While acknowledging the cooperation of the Nigerian authorities in the course of the preliminary examination, the Office will require, for the purpose of expediting its complementarity assessment, further information and evidence
demonstrating that relevant national proceedings are being or intended to be conducted without delay”.

https://lailasnews.com/nigerian-army-has-committed-war-crimes-against-humanity-says-icc/

May the blood of the departed cry for vengance.
They sha have killed my only brother..
He wasnt even killed by gun but was slaughtered like chicken.
Nigeria army is asking us to come identify our corpse.
So sad he had to die that way.
����

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by magicminister: 11:39pm On Dec 10, 2018
DoTheNeedful:
I wonder why ICC only find third world leaders and military guilty of war crimes.

The Bush family and Tony Blair did a lot bad to humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet nobody has been called to book.

Obama and other Western leaders are responsible for the chaos in Libya and Syria today yet no one is talking about them.

I have never seen any Western leader charged for war crimes yet we can see their negative impact everywhere.

While I believe third world leaders are to be checked, I am totally against the hypocrisy in global politics. undecided

They do theirs to other people while we do ours to ourselves.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by newdawn2017(f): 11:52pm On Dec 10, 2018
See d ugly Burutai looking miserable like a poor & hungry illiterate. Mtcheeeeeeeewwww! *Spits.. I am disgusted.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by lereinter(m): 12:09am On Dec 11, 2018
What of bokoharam
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by skales67(m): 12:09am On Dec 11, 2018
marvin906:
ICC is a joke..
I don't know why that court hasn't been removed

ICC removed? So you even know the meaning of ICC? You have goofed big time!
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Just2endowed2(m): 12:21am On Dec 11, 2018
A Tyrant will always be a tyrant..... That's what I know about buhari.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by ifiokjohn(m): 12:26am On Dec 11, 2018
Okoyeeboz:

Atiku won't rule this country and Buhari won't go to jail.

You can take that to the bank.
Atiku will lead this country come 2019 but about buhari going to jail..it impossible
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Yinkash100(m): 12:26am On Dec 11, 2018
Na Naija we dey, soldiers go maltreat civilians and to us its nothing. well with this dem go use their head small.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Bitterleafsoup: 1:34am On Dec 11, 2018
Okoyeeboz:

Nothing was said about python dance.

Those who died there died for nothing. That's why Kanu mourned his dog more than them.
This charge is for Python and Kanu if you never know...

Specifically, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that the NSF committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); torture, cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii); and intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population,” the ICC said.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Ishilove: 2:58am On Dec 11, 2018
MajorJeffery:
Interesting and also shameful how the ICC now sees Nigerian government as liar. sad
The government is an international laughing stock. A stuff for comedy shows.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Bede2u(m): 3:23am On Dec 11, 2018
marvin906:
ICC is a joke..
I don't know why that court hasn't been removed
but when they invited buhari early this year....u guys claimed it was because of his integrity....lol. Enemies of state all of u
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Mmlanrehh(m): 3:23am On Dec 11, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
I spit on Mecca

I spit on Medina

I spit on Saudi Arabia for making this country Nigeria a shitthole

I spit on you for lacking sense

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Akinlady(f): 4:03am On Dec 11, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

Thank u. Very much on point

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by kumakunta: 4:14am On Dec 11, 2018
So what did the US army commit against innocent children in Yemen and Syria or the Israeli army on Palestine?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Domif: 4:59am On Dec 11, 2018
[quote author=YoungLionken post=73732082]The only thing all these international agencies are good at is keeping bad remarks/records about Africa. All they do is to lay false claims on human rights. Hundreds of people die and displaced in Nigeria as a result of the insurgency in the northeast, but all they do is to keep records for negative purposes. What happens to the UN giving marching orders to the five security council to annihilate those blood-sucking terrorists from Nigeria and Syria? Of course I know that those terrorists won't last one month if all the countries of the world fully support their fellow countries. Terrorists buy weapons from thesame people who claimed to care about the well-being of the people. Yes, you guys don't want to assist for personal interests best known to you, but please stop adding more salt to sore! [/quote. The problem is that Nigeria government has refuse to tag bokoharam terrorist, how do u expect the un to come in.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Blazebond(m): 4:59am On Dec 11, 2018
Boom,buratai must pay.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by LastSurvivor11: 5:11am On Dec 11, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

The only difference here is that Nigerian army comitted their on their fellow citizens they were paid and sworn to protect.. else they are all the same
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Nobody: 5:21am On Dec 11, 2018
YoungLionken:
The only thing all these international agencies are good at is keeping bad remarks/records about Africa. All they do is to lay false claims on human rights. Hundreds of people die and displaced in Nigeria as a result of the insurgency in the northeast, but all they do is to keep records for negative purposes. What happens to the UN giving marching orders to the five security council to annihilate those blood-sucking terrorists from Nigeria and Syria? Of course I know that those terrorists won't last one month if all the countries of the world fully support their fellow countries. Terrorists buy weapons from thesame people who claimed to care about the well-being of the people. Yes, you guys don't want to assist for personal interests best known to you, but please stop adding more salt to sore!

Every State is Sovereign and so the U.N cannot just jump into fighting an internal War. Even though Nigeria has all the characteristics of a failed state, this Government has made it look like they are cleaning the mess of the previous Government. So the international community has no justification to interfere just yet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by stevedre: 5:26am On Dec 11, 2018
YoungLionken:
The only thing all these international agencies are good at is keeping bad remarks/records about Africa. All they do is to lay false claims on human rights. Hundreds of people die and displaced in Nigeria as a result of the insurgency in the northeast, but all they do is to keep records for negative purposes. What happens to the UN giving marching orders to the five security council to annihilate those blood-sucking terrorists from Nigeria and Syria? Of course I know that those terrorists won't last one month if all the countries of the world fully support their fellow countries. Terrorists buy weapons from thesame people who claimed to care about the well-being of the people. Yes, you guys don't want to assist for personal interests best known to you, but please stop adding more salt to sore!

When new weapons are made what do you think happens to the old stock?
They are sold to the those who need it, when sales are down what do the Western countries do?
They create chaos in versatile developing countries that will lead to war then market their old stock of weapons to the people fighting there via proxies to recover from expenses/loss and also gain control.
Take Libya, Syria and now Yemen as a yardstick.
Bring peace to the world and see some so called top world countries fall from the world list or food chain as I love to call it. It's all about money, power and respect finally.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Jbcmotive(m): 5:31am On Dec 11, 2018
The US and 'most' of their allies are not bound by the ICC. The United States is not a State Party to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (Rome Statute), which founded the International Criminal Court (ICC) in 2002 as a permanent international criminal court to "bring to justice the perpetrators of the worst crimes known to humankind – war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide", when national courts are unable or unwilling to do so.

The states parties to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court are those sovereign states that have ratified, or have otherwise become party to, the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.

As of November 2016, 124 states are members of the Court. Other states that have not become parties to the Rome Statute include India, Indonesia, and China. On May 6, 2002, the United States, in a position shared with Israel and Sudan, having previously signed the Rome Statute formally withdrew its signature and indicated that it did not intend to ratify the agreement.

DoTheNeedful:

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by cozykozy: 5:33am On Dec 11, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
The International Criminal Court (ICC) who released an annual report on preliminary examination activities (2018), stated that the Nigerian army has committed war crimes against humanity. 

According to the ICC, it has received “a total of 169 communications” from Nigeria and its assessment has shown that security forces in Nigeria have committed war crimes varying from murder, torture, and intentionally attacking the civilian population.

“Specifically, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that the NSF committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); torture, cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii); and intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population,” the ICC said.

According to Cableng, Fatou Bensouda, the ICC prosecutor disclosed that they also found reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram, also committed war crimes against humanity.

"Furthermore, the Office found a reasonable basis to believe that Boko Haram committed the war crimes of murder pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i); cruel treatment pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(i) and outrages upon personal dignity pursuant to article 8(2)(c)(ii)”.

The ICC added that Boko Haram was “intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population or against individual civilians pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(i); intentionally directing attacks against buildings dedicated to education and to places of worship and similar institutions pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(iv); pillaging a town or place pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(v); rape, sexual slavery and sexual violence pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(vi)”.

The ICC also disclosed that they met with Abubakar Malami, Nigeria’s minister of justice and attorney general of the federation (AGF), to further investigate eight potential cases of Nigerian army war crimes against humanity.

ICC says several “files pertaining to alleged violations by members of the army were submitted to the Office (of the prosecutor). These files relate to a limited extent to the two potential cases identified by the Office”.

“Of the 27 files provided to the Office, 24 either lacked information to determine their relevance for the admissibility assessment or did not appear relevant.

The ICC complained that “other information specifically requested by the Office which was assessed to be potentially relevant to the admissibility assessment has yet to be provided by the Nigerian authorities”.

The ICC who also said it is examining the farmers-herders crisis in Nigeria, added since 2017, the Nigerian authorities appear to have “taken concrete steps toward fulfilling their primary responsibility to investigate and prosecute ICC crimes”. 

However the prosecutor noted that the Nigerian government always denies any allegations against the Nigerian army. 

“While there seems to be a tangible prospect of further proceedings against members of Boko Haram, including high-level commanders, at this stage the same cannot be said of the NSF, in particular since the Nigerian authorities tend to deny any allegation against the latter.

“While acknowledging the cooperation of the Nigerian authorities in the course of the preliminary examination, the Office will require, for the purpose of expediting its complementarity assessment, further information and evidence
demonstrating that relevant national proceedings are being or intended to be conducted without delay”.

https://lailasnews.com/nigerian-army-has-committed-war-crimes-against-humanity-says-icc/

FOR ARMY DSSC PAST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Email: vincentoluwaseun86@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Jaqenhghar: 5:40am On Dec 11, 2018
YoungLionken:
Why should the UN fight for you in a war you are fully capable of fighting yourself

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by infofta(m): 5:40am On Dec 11, 2018
United States, Israel and Saudi led coalition has not commited war crimes. ICC should focus on them first.
Re: Nigerian Army Has Committed War Crimes Against Humanity, Says ICC by Efewestern: 6:11am On Dec 11, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

There is nothing the Nigerian Armed Forces has done that Isreal, America, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc Armed Forces haven't done x10.

Their level of hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.. I once called them out some days back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patience Paul, Abducted Benue Girl In Sokoto, Found / How God Saved Me From Cultists In Benin City / Customs Officers Beat Lagos Magistrate For Impounding Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.