Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Early maturing Okra Seeds Available - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Early maturing Okra Seeds Available (23109 Views)

My Dry Season Rice And Okra Farm (pics) / Polythene Bag And Hybrid Seeds Available / 35 Days Early Maturing Hybrid Cucumber Seeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Mrdellychy: 2:16am On Dec 08, 2023
Empressgifted:

Good evening Sir, if I plant okro during this dry season without irrigation, how often should I water it for a good harvest?
Nne, i m not getting you well. You mentioned without irrigation, and you still want to water. Can you explain better pls?
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Empressgifted(f): 8:03pm On Dec 14, 2023
Mrdellychy:

Nne, i m not getting you well. You mentioned without irrigation, and you still want to water. Can you explain better pls?

There's no irrigation but I intend to water with hose manually and I want to know how often I should do that.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Mrdellychy: 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
Empressgifted:

There's no irrigation but I intend to water with hose manually and I want to know how often I should do that.

Ok, both are still irrigation methods. The diff is that one is automated and the other is manual.
To your question, there is no specific irrigation regimen for crops. There are lots of things or factors you need to consider...
* Season. Even in dry season, we still have cold-dry season and hot-dry season. In cold dry, you don't water heavily like in hot-dry period.
2. Ability to read and de-code the body language of your crops. Sometimes, the expression on the faces of your crops will tell you wether to wet daily or skip one or two days.
3. For okra (WRT my variety) , the rate of watering should reduce after 4 weeks due to formation of "canopy" by the leaves/branches of the crop thereby help in minimizing soil evaporation.
4. Finally, it's not a crime to use manual irrigation, it's better than folding arms and doing nothing. If u are planting, ensure to plant your seed inside a shallow pit on your ridge/heaps as in Mr okoro.Emeka style (visit his cucumber thread for details). The pits wl help to conserve/retain water for your crops.
In conclusion, I normally tell by customers this...if you don't have insecticides and fungicides in place, don't drop seed on the ground. Our efforts shall not be in vain.

1 Like

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Empressgifted(f): 11:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
Mrdellychy:

Ok, both are still irrigation methods. The diff is that one is automated and the other is manual.
To your question, there is no specific irrigation regimen for crops. There are lots of things or factors you need to consider...
* Season. Even in dry season, we still have cold-dry season and hot-dry season. In cold dry, you don't water heavily like in hot-dry period.
2. Ability to read and de-code the body language of your crops. Sometimes, the expression on the faces of your crops will tell you wether to wet daily or skip one or two days.
3. For okra (WRT my variety) , the rate of watering should reduce after 4 weeks due to formation of "canopy" by the leaves/branches of the crop thereby help in minimizing soil evaporation.
4. Finally, it's not a crime to use manual irrigation, it's better than folding arms and doing nothing. If u are planting, ensure to plant your seed inside a shallow pit on your ridge/heaps as in Mr okoro.Emeka style (visit his cucumber thread for details). The pits wl help to conserve/retain water for your crops.
In conclusion, I normal tell by customers this...if you don't have insecticides and fungicides in place, don't drop seed on the ground. Our efforts shall not be in vain.

Thank you so much
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Redomi(m): 10:57am On Apr 07
Hmmmm, I'll likely go into okro. Pepper is peppering me

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Noisy Roosters Kept By Neighbour Driving Me Crazy / Locally Made Gas/charcoal Oven For Smoking Fish And For Baking / Rice To Hit ₦‎50,000 Per Bag As Floods Ravage Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.