Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,909 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Early maturing Okra Seeds Available - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Early maturing Okra Seeds Available (23276 Views)

My Dry Season Rice And Okra Farm (pics) / Polythene Bag And Hybrid Seeds Available / 35 Days Early Maturing Hybrid Cucumber Seeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by my2chains(m): 8:08am On Nov 02, 2019
BoluwGoldenFarm:
Do you know that you can refuse to sell some of your okra during glut period
So what will you do with it ?
Just get a small machine that will slice it
Get a small dryer & dry it
Then pack in empty maize bags
Sell during dry season & make more profit
Remember yours would be dust ,sand & stone free
90% of the ones available have sand & stone in it because they rural farmers dry them on the ground or on the rock

Take your time to study the okra season & the marketing trend
Do a small marketing analysis
Buy like 250g & plant within your house ,you can even plant in small paint buckets or inside cement bags at home , harvest & give friends, church or mosques members, people in your neighborhood & eat some as well before you plan to plant on 10 acres /4 hectares using a manager & 2 full time yearly labourers.
I know somebody always doing 50 acres yearly.
He is not even a Nigeria
Keep farming God is on our side

please where can one take his okro to and sell in large quantities?

Someone into 50 acres of just only okro needs many workers managing the farm for him,
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 2:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
my2chains:
Please i want to ask like how many bags filled with okro can a plot of land produce at every harvest?

And how much approximately can one make a week from this one plot been filled with okro?

I just needed an extimate so i can order from you this week thanks

You are free to ask me any question pertaining to okra farming and i will gladly share the little knowledge i have. It does not matter whether you are buying or not buying from me, my seed variety may not even be your choice.
I made a promise here as regards okra farming, hopefully between today and tomorrow, I should be able to come up with details for beginners. Watch out, cheers.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
Here we go.

Hi good people, due to demands from our people, both offline and online, I will be talking on okra farming -production, management and marketing.
Opinions, questions, contributions are welcome.
Before we start, I am aware in some continents, the word okro is alien to them.
For instance an Indian told me that they call it ladyfingers, ragardless of the shape, whether long or short pods. So if your location falls into such area and you are reading, you know what we are saying.
We will be doing it bit by bit because most people don't like reading long epistles.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 4:10pm On Nov 02, 2019
1. Sorting out your seed variety/marketing

This is very important before you even start land preparation. Your choice of seed variety is a function of your market.
Confirm what your market demands before settling for the type(long or short fruits) you plant.
For instance, in SW open markets, short fruits sell better and faster, i once asked a market woman why the peference for short pods, she replied, the long ones no dey draw well well grin , i dont know if her claim is true o.
But if you can locate a closed market such as hotels,grocery stores, Chinese market, the long pods is more profitable. The few issues with close markets are:
*They usually buy in small volume
*you may need to write proposals or have "a long leg" (not like that of Kanu Nwankwo o grin , but knowing an insider) or spend on tips before you can be a supplier.
3. You may also be required to sign an agreement/undertaken with them.

Also, still on seed, try to get hybrids or good opv seeds. If you are planting acres, and you can't afford the cost of hybrids, you can buy improved ones from a farmer that can tell you what you are buying. This class of seeds mature faster and are short stems without spine that can cause irritation and itching.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Adeoye007(m): 5:27pm On Nov 02, 2019
Well done bro, please is your okra seed is NHAe47-4 variety?
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Adsen: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2019
Contact me on this number 08038338611.
I need the okra seeds
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 8:10pm On Nov 02, 2019
Adeoye007:
Well done bro, please is your okra seed is NHAe47-4 variety?
No sir, seems I have your number. We wl talk.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 9:29pm On Nov 03, 2019
2. Land preparation/irrigation

After you have made your choice of the seed variety you intend to plant, Land preparation should be the next in the line.
You can either plough or do manual ridge, but during this dry season ensure your ridge is not too high as soil water level/table will be significantly low.
Prepare your land to suit your irrigation method. Good thing is that okra plant is rugged, it can adapt to any irrigation methods(spray tube, rain gun, drip, even direct water through hose from a water pump) you wish to use unlike the likes of watermelon, cucumber, tomatoes.
If your land is close to a source of water like a river and you can't afford irrigation lines and tubes, but you have access to a pumping machine, let me share how best to go about ur land preparation based on what i saw on a farm:
1.Make narrow ridges(distance btw ridges about 50cm) of width 30cm/1ft, height about 20cm.
2.For example, if you have 6 ridges, bridge/connect 1and2, 3and4, 5and6, with mini ridges in a such a way that the distance between one bridge and the other is about 4ft. You will end up having multiple rectangular shapes within the two ridges that you connected, stuff similar to a ladder. Then u can plant on the left, right and two breadths of each rectangles.
3.The gap between ridges 2 and3, 4 and 5, etc will form your passages.
4.If the length of each rectangle is 4ft/120cm, and you plant 45cm apart, you will have about 4 plants(8 if u plant 2seeds per hole) on each side of the rectangle and on the breadths/bridges, u can have 2 planting holes on each. The hollow/centre of the rectangle will serve as your temporary reservoir for all the plants on the rectangle, that is the place you focus the direction of your hose while pumping from the machine, with this the force from the water can not dismantle the roots of your seedlings.
This method is also used to cultivate leaf vegetables in dry season but inside the rectangles will be slightly tilled cos that's where you broadcast your seeds.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 9:53pm On Nov 03, 2019
3. Planting

After land preparation, you go for your planting. With respect to my own type of variety, I will advice planting distance of 45cm(between plants) by 50cm(between rows), with 2 seeds per hole. Do not let your planting depth exceed the distance between the tip of your finger and the 1st line/joint on your finger, I.e 1inch, otherwise you may end up conducting the final burial for your seeds.
Before you plant, do observe the following instructions diligently (as earlier stated on this thread)
it's not good for your okra seeds to over stay in the soil. It could serve as food for pest or rot away.
A day b4 u plant, soak overnight only the quantity you can finish planting in a day in lukewarm water minimum 12hours. Then air dry(not sun dry) and plant. This process wl aid quick sprouting.
Also, in the process of soaking, its better to discard the floated ones(dont consider the cost pls) because they have lower tendency to germinate.
Okra loves warm moist soil to thrive well. So plant your seed on a moist soil.

1 Like

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 1:07pm On Nov 04, 2019
4. Treatments: weeding, pesticides, fertilizing.

Weeding can be done manually or you if your seedlings are up to 4 weeks, you can carefully use contact herbicide but ensure the nozzle of your sprayer is hooded. Some agro chemical stores sell hoods that you can fix on your nozzle. The hood prevents drifting by breeze during spraying.
Pesticides: insects and borers love to hide under the cool canopy of okra leaves. You can spray twice(2nd and 4th weeks) if you notice invasion of pests.
Fertilizing: ensure to fertilize before day 30, cos in improved varieties, flower pods start coming out by day 35. While harvesting starts from day 50.
Do not fertilize too close to the roots region, as it may cause injury to the crop.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 04, 2019
my2chains:

please where can one take his okro to and sell in large quantities?

Someone into 50 acres of just only okro needs many workers managing the farm for him,

50 acres of okra? Pls conduct a proper research before doing 50 acres of okra
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2019
5. Harvesting and Yield

Harvesting: Harvest pods while still tender. Okra should be harvested 2-3 times/ week. Regular picking increases yield. Harvested okra should be handled carefully to avoid bruising. Bruised pods will turn brown within a few hours. And, always wear cotton gloves when harvesting and handling pods to minimize bruising.
Keep harvested pods in a ventilated vessel such as baskets. Don't keep in sacks, except if your market is within a journey less than an hour, otherwise the pods becomes black like something you harvested 7days ago.

Yields: this is the corner most people are waiting for.
It will be a bit difficult to answer this question because of lots of factors need to be put in place.The factors are:

*cultivar: Yields of okra are dependent on cultivar. Good cultivars, good yield.

*frequency of harvest: if you don't harvest regularly, okra stops flowering,esp if there are too many hard and fibrous pods on the plants. If you harvest regularly, the life span of the plant will be long especially with irrigation and fertilizing/manuring.

* most veggie farmers are very poor in record keeping and documenting. including me self grin . probably because :
-we don't sell per weight in the open markets.
-we use and jam different sizes of vessels/baskets together during harvesting. For instance, today's harvest, 10 big baskets, 6 medium baskets, 7 small baskets. Next harvest, another set of different sizes of baskets jammed together. It continues like that for 3 months or more. When the plant dies, we can only account for money but not the volume/quantity of goods sold. I think we will change! grin

In conclusion, every business/agric venture has some levels of risk but with okra farming, its risk is very low. With good practices, okra farming is very profitable, you cannot farm okro and run at a loss especially during dry season. The cost of production is relatively low and is easy to maintain.

Shallom

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2019
ifedola28:

50 acres of okra? Pls conduct a proper research before doing 50 acres of okra
50 acres will definitely require about 100 dedicated workers, average of 2 workers per acre esp at full harvesting period.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by 4words: 3:29pm On Nov 07, 2019
OluchiDelly:
4. Treatments: weeding, pesticides, fertilizing.

Weeding can be done manually or you if your seedlings are up to 4 weeks, you can carefully use contact herbicide but ensure the nozzle of your sprayer is hooded. Some agro chemical stores sell hoods that you can fix on your nozzle. The hood prevents drifting by breeze during spraying.
Pesticides: insects and borers love to hide under the cool canopy of okra leaves. You can spray twice(2nd and 4th weeks) if you notice invasion of pests.
Fertilizing: ensure to fertilize before day 30, cos in improved varieties, flower pods start coming out by day 35. While harvesting starts from day 50.
Do not fertilize too close to the roots region, as it may cause injury to the crop.

Hi Oluchi, nice job, I appreciate your write up. Keep it up. Please recommend a contact herbicide and a pesticide. Cheers
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 8:37pm On Nov 07, 2019
4words:

Hi Oluchi, nice job, I appreciate your write up. Keep it up. Please recommend a contact herbicide and a pesticide. Cheers

Popular contact herbicides are those that contain paraquat only as the active ingredient. Examples are weed crusher, paraforce, para plus, etc.
Pesticides that contain one or more of the following active ingredient: lamda-cyhalothrin, cypermethrin, imidaclopid etc. Just visit any agro chemical shops around and follow the direction on the label.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by pheonixdld2(m): 10:35am On Nov 08, 2019
Please your number. How do we.contact you sir?
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 8:22pm On Nov 08, 2019
pheonixdld2:
Please your number. How do we.contact you sir?
Check my signature sire, u can as well send a mail.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2019
OluchiDelly:
Hello co-farmers,

Start your dry season vegetable farming with our unique okro seeds with the following features:

*early fruiting, less than 2months
*short fruit
*spineless fruits
*dwarf, about 1 ft tall
*long shelf life
*sweet taste n aroma.
*can resist drought well to a limit

Hello I'm interested. Can I send my number to your email address.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2019
LoFarms:

Hello I'm interested. Can I send my number to your email address.
Yes sire.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by my2chains(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2019
OluchiDelly:

You are free to ask me any question pertaining to okra farming and i will gladly share the little knowledge i have. It does not matter whether you are buying or not buying from me, my seed variety may not even be your choice.
I made a promise here as regards okra farming, hopefully between today and tomorrow, I should be able to come up with details for beginners. Watch out, cheers.

please how many okro seeds can that can be planted on just 1 plot of land,

can it really contain upto 5000 seeds?
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by my2chains(m): 3:20pm On Nov 14, 2019
OluchiDelly:

please how many okro seeds can be planted on just 1 plot of land,

Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 9:16pm On Nov 14, 2019
my2chains:

please how many okro seeds can be planted on just 1 plot of land,

A plot here is 120ft by 60ft or 36m by 18m.
D4 the area wl be 36*18=648
If you use a planting distance of 50cm by 45cm, the area in metres sq wl be 0.225

Dividing 648 by .225, you have 2,880 planting holes, if u put 2seeds inside each hole, you have 5,760 seeds.
Like 7,000 average cos some floated ones wl be discarded.
If u prefer other planting distance options, like 50cm by 50cm, 60cm by 40cm, just follow d format above to arrive at the number of seeds required.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Maki61: 8:23am On Nov 17, 2019
I need the okro seed. Please contact me with this number 08135866728
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Toksguy: 11:03am On Nov 18, 2019
I need okro seeds
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Toksguy: 11:05am On Nov 18, 2019
I need the okro seeds you can contact me on 07061011945
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by pheonixdld2(m): 12:12pm On Nov 20, 2019
Oluchidelly you are not picking call made to your number and you have not returned any sad undecided undecided undecided
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 4:28pm On Nov 20, 2019
pheonixdld2:
Oluchidelly you are not picking call made to your number and you have not returned any sad undecided undecided undecided
Sorry sire, I left it where I was charging it. i think i have returned ur call d moment i saw your msd calls.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by pheonixdld2(m): 10:29am On Nov 21, 2019
Yes we have .
OluchiDelly:

Sorry sire, I left it where I was charging it. i think i have returned ur call d moment i saw your msd calls.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by completey(f): 9:46am On Nov 22, 2019
OluchiDelly:

I need the seed delivered to Ekiti state
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by Maki61: 8:19pm On Nov 22, 2019
I odered for 500g of the okro seed and it was delivered to me today at onitsha. Thank you so much for your sincerity.
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by my2chains(m): 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2019
Maki61:
I odered for 500g of the okro seed and it was delivered to me today at onitsha. Thank you so much for your sincerity.

hmmm thats nice and sweet
Re: Early maturing Okra Seeds Available by OluchiDelly: 7:01am On Nov 23, 2019
Maki61:

Ogo m nwanyi, imela.

Ogo m nwoke from Awka, my Pst from RCCG Hqrs, and all our numerous customers out there, thank you all for the trust and confidence reposed in me.

Unfortunately the limited qty couldn't go round for some of intending buyers that showed interest late. But no too worry, we wl quickly see how we can make up soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Get Drip Irrigation/rain Guns For Your Farmland / Home Garden / Make Over 300% Profit From Planting Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.