Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,405 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) (28752 Views)

The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan / Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by bluecircle470: 10:59am On Dec 12, 2018
prolog2:
Michael Jackson was the 26th oni of ife. He migrated to America and conquered it then he was crowned king of pop or as he is called in ife: Obapop

Many of you are senseless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 11:00am On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by sapoyoro(m): 11:02am On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:

He is/was your forefather? Nice!
No, I am unrelated to Obalufon but we're both from Iremo if you're from Ife - I am from Orunto (Obalufe) compound (likewise Giesi & Iranje Idita).
Are you from Ife?
no..Ido-osun..but we migrated from ife.
upon leaving ife then,ido-osun was one the towns founded by the great obalufon.
and till today,ido-osun do play a large role in the appointment of any new ooni because the new ooni has some rites he must performed in ido-osun before his appointment is ratified.
probably one the reason the oludo and ooni has always maintain a good and cordial relationship.
I'm from a royal family in ido-osun and the king of the town presently is from the same royal family.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 11:04am On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:07am On Dec 12, 2018
marttol:
BRO I BELIEVE THE BIBLE TILL DEATH... SAME gods OF YOUR ANCESTORS CAN CAUSE YOU HARM, BUT THE GOD OF THE BIBLE LOVES AND PROTECTS US FROM THE gods OF YOUR HISTORY... NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT... A CHRISTIAN IS CALLED OUT OF EVERY NATION, TONGUE AND TRIBE... I AM PROUD TO SAY I DON'T BELONG TO THEIR NONSENSE HISTORY.

One day you will wake up and realise that even what you have in the Bible are lies.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 11:10am On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:

The imaginary that has at least an evidence to show for it?? That's why the story is being told so one can relate with it. You don't have to believe in this but some people do and they do so strongly and they appreciate the sense of culture they have been able to carry on successfully from one generation to another.

I believe a tourist centre can have just a single piece of historical piece and still be appreciated. The only problem with this one is the fact of it not being properly maintained over the years.

Most importantly I do not buy the idea of belittling or despising other people belief simply because I don't hold same ideology.

Beside please do post your thoughts in one piece. To avoid spamming this thread. Thanks.
I didn't mean to spam your thread, by the way you are quite attractive. On the topic, I was trying to give history a fighting chance.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by akdjr(m): 11:22am On Dec 12, 2018
Izoduwa and not Ododuwa
as always claim by the Yoruba was an exile prince from Benin palace who avoid being sacrifice and later settled down in the present Ile Ife.( if you want to know how "Ile Ife" was named by the same Oduduwa, that will be another topic). He didn't disclose his true identity to the people he met for security purpose. If you want to know how his son was made king in Benin Kingdom i will educate you more personally so that you will stop being a victim under the tutelage of false historical believe.
0balufonlll:

Olugbo of Ugbo is now a Historian? You must be an illiterate my guy.

Oduduwa - Odu to da iwa (the vessel that created existence).

Oranmiyan - Oran ni omo yi yan (this child chose to be problematic or my matters are non-complicated).

Now, I will ask you to tell us what Omonanyan and Ekhalederhan means and if they appear in Ifa, we can start from there. grin cheesy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Dareal90s(m): 11:30am On Dec 12, 2018
akdjr:
Izoduwa and not Ododuwa
as always claim by the Yoruba was an exile prince from Benin palace who avoid being sacrifice and later settled down in the present Ile Ife.( if you want to know how "Ile Ife" was named by the same Oduduwa, that will be another topic). He didn't disclose his true identity to the people he met for security purpose. If you want to know how his son was made king in Benin Kingdom i will educate you more personally so that you will stop being a victim under the tutelage of false historical believe.
Oduduwa is a Yoruba name which has its meaning, we knw Oduduwa, Izoduwa we know not. I guess Izoduwa lost on his way to Yoruba land.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:33am On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:

Are you from Ife sir?
'Gbajure' is an exclamation. It is often used in a sentence as 'a ke gbajure' (we shout/yell gbajure). It is used in greeting during certain festive periods in Ife such as Olojo and such.

No, I am not even from Osun. But I know about a dialect thats spoken by a group. I think it's the descendants or worshippers of Obatala, if I am not mistaken. Do you know the name it is called?
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by sapoyoro(m): 11:42am On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:

The emboldened is quite a stretch. Ido Osun plays no role in the appointment of any Ooni, Ido Osun is connected to Obalufon & Ilara section of Ife and that is where it stops. The Oonis are descendants of Lajensin, a personage unconnected to Obalufon [I am from Giesi and can speak on it authoritatively. I am also an initiate of a number of traditional circles in Ife and that makes me accessible to firsthand information].

The Olu Ido is a relative of Obalara in Ile-Ife. Obalufon gets royal recognition for being a one time Ooni but his line was cut off after Ayetise took over.

It is good to meet you still.

]
yeah..alright, maybe its d way I word it..
but I know for sure every new ooni has rites they performed in ido-osun.
I confirmed from the oludo himself and ive seen quite a few people in ife talking about it too..
as a youngster i actually use to wonder about if there is any relationship btw ido and the oni since ido-osun is related to the lineage of obalufon and not that of ooni.
no harm meant,I shall seek further clarification on that.
good to meet you too.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 12, 2018
prolog2:
Now let us find where superman and Batman were born. Those were two powerful yoruba warriors.

Take care so you don't die of hate.
You had to post multiple crap so people think the OP and her writeup as nonsense.. But it's you that's full of shiit.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by themanderon: 11:53am On Dec 12, 2018
Op is busy cavorting with demons yet she is feeling funky grin

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 12, 2018
Bidobado1:

Take care so you don't die of hate.
You had to post multiple crap so people think the OP and her writeup as nonsense.. But it's you that's full of shiit.
No, I was only pointing out that all this is a folklore. The fine lady didn't invent the story, others did. I am trying to show the story for what it is: fiction.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Awoleesu(m): 11:55am On Dec 12, 2018
Ain't this the same babe at Osun groove the other time?

Omo yii maa n'sawo ke!
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by AngelicBeing: 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Very terrible state of tourist centre embarassed

State of Osun sef sad angry
Lol tongue
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 12:45pm On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by WORLDPEACE(m): 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:

I mentioned I am partly from Iranje Idita - it is the lineage started by Obatala. I am partly active in the circle and there's no dialect spoken there that is different from what Ife people speak. Contexts gets lost in written words so I may not fully grasp your perspective sir.

Okay, thanks for the info. I must have been wrongly informed.

If one were interested in studying the achaic form of the language of Ife, are there societies, groups or ceremonies where one could pick them up?
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by GoldHorse(m): 1:07pm On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:
The staff located at Mopa Arubidi area of Ile-Ife stands at 5.5m tall and about 1.2m in circumference at the foot and is believed to have been his staff while he was alive i.e his walking stick. Interesting shocked The staff also served as his shield when he goes to war as he used it to wade off arrows and bullets from attackers. The staff has different markings engraved by the side from the top to the bottom with bullets holes and arrows gotten during battle. To this day before any Ooni in Ife emerges he must pay homage to the Oranmiyan staff with series and procedures of different sacrifices to carry out and also the traditional Oloja festival that takes place in September must be done yearly in honour of Oranmiyan by the Ooni.

After several battles Oranmiyan finally returned to Ife to become king and sent the reigning king into exile, being a great warrior the reigning king gave room for him to be king . After a while of reigning as king he called his warriors together and informed them he was going on a journey to visit his sons scattered across different kingdoms but he would be going alone as he was not going on a war mission this time around . The warriors were confused and terrified of being left alone, they showed their grievance and poured out their fears. They said

‘’ what if you leave and a great war starts? We will all be killed “

Then he called his wife and told her to stay back with them and whenever they sense a war his wife should call on him with a distinct language he taught her now known in Ife as the ‘Gbajure’ language which is still spoken till date.

www.demitalks.com/2018/12/11/my-visit-to-oranmiyan-staff

"...1.2m in circumference at the foot..."

Are you sure about the above?
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 1:13pm On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by marttol: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
WORLDPEACE:

One day you will wake up and realise that even what you have in the Bible are lies.
lol...it goes beyond what your eyes can see or your mind can fathom
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by marttol: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
akdjr:
And the God of Fashola, Obi, Yuguda, Osaze Abogumoza is also the God of the universe. quote author=marttol post=73774768]you know the funny thing about the carnal man is that they know nothing about spiritual things... The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is still the God of the Universe... Leave them alone, ignorance is no excuse.
lipsrsealed
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Raskasal(m): 1:36pm On Dec 12, 2018
Thank you for bringing history to our palm. How was your trip?

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Chanchit: 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:

The imaginary that has at least an evidence to show for it?? That's why the story is being told so one can relate with it. You don't have to believe in this but some people do and they do so strongly and they appreciate the sense of culture they have been able to carry on successfully from one generation to another.

I believe a tourist centre can have just a single piece of historical piece and still be appreciated. The only problem with this one is the fact of it not being properly maintained over the years.

Most importantly I do not buy the idea of belittling or despising other people belief simply because I don't hold same ideology.

Beside please do post your thoughts in one piece. To avoid spamming this thread. Thanks.

He's probably from the land of the rising sun, where they run a chiefless society, they have no king, no history. That is why they hate people that have history. Don't blame him.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by sapoyoro(m): 2:20pm On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:

This is interesting.
I have never heard of this but I will confirm from folks today but for sure, I know the Ooni's coronation procedures does not any town outside Ile-Ife, it starts from Oke Ora and ends at the palace. Ido Osun or any town for that matter plays no role in Ooni's selection and coronation. Ido Osun is linked to Obalara, the first son of Obalufon. It is Obalara that plays a role in the crowning of the Ooni in the presence and at the palace of Obatala's representative.
well,this is another interesting piece of history.
never heared of obalara though.
and when I have been cleared on the clarification I sought,I shall obviously get back to you.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Bbsharon(f): 2:50pm On Dec 12, 2018
jesutakewe:

I have a question for you OP. If the saying is true that Oranmiyan was the son of Oduduwa he sent to Benin. How come in your story he returned to Ife and sent the King (Oduduwa I suppose) on exile? If it wasn't Oduduwa he sent on exile, then he must have deposed his own brother right? or who was that king he sent on exile? Please clarify.

No it wasn't Oduduwa he sent on exile but his brother.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Bbsharon(f): 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2018
TheStarsAlign:
Bbsharon, all I can see in you is bravery (which I admire), but be careful though. Too much bravery can have its consequences too. Your friend just thinking loud...

Thank you smiley
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Bbsharon(f): 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2018
docadams:

@OP , What happened to a prior thread on same topic?

I don't understand??
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Bbsharon(f): 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2018
GlorifiedTunde:

Lady, you're doing a fantastic job. Keep it up!

Endeavour to start watermarking your pictures from now onwards, for intellectual property rights.

You never know what fortune a picture may bring to you in the nearest future. wink

Thanks a lot. I will.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Bbsharon(f): 3:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
Raskasal:
Thank you for bringing history to our palm. How was your trip?

Good. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tanker Explosion In Owerri Leaves Two Dead (Photos, Video) / Man In A Wheelchair Holding A Moving Truck (Photos) / Only Six Animals, 10 Birds In Port Harcourt Zoo, Zero Alocations In 5 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.