Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,461 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi (4261 Views)

I’m Interested In Better Nigeria – Peter Obi Clears Air On Running With El-rufai / I’m Ready To Lay Down My Life For Nigeria – Peter Obi / What The South East And South South Are Saying About President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Ozibe: 10:53am On Dec 12, 2018
By Dennis Agbo ENUGU –

PEOPLES Democratic Party, PDP, Vice presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, on Tuesday, lampooned the anti-corruption policy of the President Mohammadu Buhari-led federal government, saying the country has receded in attempt to frighten and muscle the opposition with anti-graft campaign.

Peter Gregory Obi The Anambra state former governor told the federal government that fight against corruption was not economic policy, and could boomerang when it is fought with intent to be vindictiveness. Obi spoke at the 3rd South East Economic Summit with the theme, “South East Nigeria: An Investment Destination.”

He gave an instance that when peoples’ businesses that employ thousands of people and which render crucial services to the society are shut down in guise that they were established through corrupt means, the nation would lose more than the value of the looted money, if any.

He blamed the nation’s poverty on over dependence on oil revenue to the detriment of other resources, arguing that oil has become a declining asset which many nations are dumping.

Obi gave the example of Venezuela, which he noted has the largest deposit of oil in the world, with 23 million population but is economically a failed nation because it failed to adopt modern economic model like developed countries that run knowledge-based economy.

He said “Nigeria in the past three years actually came down from GDP of 520 billion to a GDP of less than 400 million, and that was why I was worried when people say we are doing well… fighting corruption is not an economic policy; it’s a disaster…”

The PDP presidential candidate said that South East and South South geopolitical zones of the country have the capacity to change Nigeria economically as they have the regions with the fastest growing cities in the country.

“Knowledge economy is the driver of the word today. Nobody is talking about baggage (oil) economy; in our own, its’ even a diminishing asset.

“People are now trying to build vehicles, they don’t need petroleum and we are still busy arguing everything, price of oil went up, price of oil went down; when we have talented young men that can change this place if supported, and this is what we need to look at and support them.

“Like I always said to people, your country in 2016 had 70 something million poor people and India had 76 million poor people. Within three years India pulled 102 million people out of poverty. They have no oil. Your country pulled 12 million into poverty and we became number one, they became number two. They have no oil.”

In a remark, first Republic Minister of Aviation and elder statesman, Chief Mbazulike Amaechi lambasted the present crop of Igbo politicians for always shouting that Ndigbo were marginalized in the country, declaring that nobody was marginalizing Ndigbo.

He enjoined the people of the zone to take advantage of their entrepreneurial acumen to build super economic structure within the region so that what they cannot get politically, they get economically.

“I told the present set of politicians whom I regard as opportunists, and careerists, people who are in politics for what they can get and not for what they can give; people who are in politics as surrogates of the rotten military that we have had in this country; if they do not give leadership, we can grab leadership and let us grab that economic leadership.

“If political power eludes us and we are economically powered in this country, politicians will respect us, they cannot do without us. Let us develop an Eastern Region, let us develop South East states that this country cannot do economically without.

“If we develop it people will respect us, even the so called governmental power will come to you, people will come to you begging you, come and take power, come and lead us and come and show us what you have done in your place.”

The economic summit chaired by founder of Diamond Bank, Dr. Pascal Dozie was supported by United Kingdom Department for International Development through Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL); and Ford Foundation.

Although none of the South East governors attended, but the South East Governors Forum Secretariat was fully represented with the Director General of the Forum, Prof. Simon Ortuanya leading the team. The summit was attended by business and political leaders from Igboland, including Prof. Barth Nnaji.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/12/fighting-corruption-not-an-economic-policy-its-a-disaster-obi-tells-buhari/

4 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Sprumbabafather: 10:54am On Dec 12, 2018
Watch as some people will rush in here to deny this, they will quote Ogun State IGR to support their own claim grin

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Buharisef(m): 11:28am On Dec 12, 2018
Sprumbabafather:
Watch as some people will rush in here to deny this, they will quote Ogun State IGR to support their own claim grin

7 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by sweerychick(f): 11:33am On Dec 12, 2018
True talk though

3 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 11:41am On Dec 12, 2018
He is from east. What do you expect him to say

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Paschalp(m): 11:54am On Dec 12, 2018
Why can't Nigerians realize that Pdp are not saints but they can never be worse than buhari

No govt can be worse than this present administration
It's a simple mathematics

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Ozibe: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2018
Strikethem:
He is from east. What do you expect him to say
is he right or wrong?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Afamed: 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2018
Paschalp:
Why can't Nigerians realize that Pdp are not saints but they can never be worse than buhari

No govt can be worse than this present administration
It's a simple mathematics
Lol

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by cdqyehyeh(m): 12:45pm On Dec 12, 2018
And when igbos first enter lagos they will be like, Is dis paradise, a year after they will claim lagos is no mans land. i think dey no sabi read map.
yet all Sw+Ss cant generate what lagos generated last year talkless of this year. Lagos taking the highest percentage every year, i think there development is all by mouth
All Ss+Se join together are still very far from Osun in terms of development in all sectors. Sw is less develop than Ss and SE yet obi's companies, Atiku companies, most politicians companies have there headquarters in that region.
Yet the migration of igbos to Sw is on increase everyday, yet they base thier funds generation on their daughters marriage, child traffiking in lagos e.t.c
Abi what is dis Obi saying sef?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2018
Ozibe:
is he right or wrong?
Let as the nature and reality.
Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by GarriKoro(m): 12:59pm On Dec 12, 2018
South east and south south votes alone still can't get you and your and oga theif elected. Peter Obi is totally unfit for national office, he should try his luck being a senator

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Corrinthians(m): 1:09pm On Dec 12, 2018
Sprumbabafather:
You are pained because yo know indeed Ogun state alone rubbishes the comment by obi who didn't quote any CREDIBLE DATA to back up his claim.

But he understands the crop of people he is dealing with- a herd of emotional dolts whom all you need to do to secure their loyalty is "wash" them. cheesy

Thank God the people of the South South don't even care about these dry hairy empty chest beatings. cheesy

The other people just keep forcing them into their foolishness. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Bede2u(m): 3:09pm On Dec 12, 2018
cdqyehyeh:
And when igbos first enter lagos they will be like, Is dis paradise, a year after they will claim lagos is no mans land. i think dey no sabi read map.
yet all Sw+Ss cant generate what lagos generated last year talkless of this year. Lagos taking the highest percentage every year, i think there development is all by mouth
All Ss+Se join together are still very far from Osun in terms of development in all sectors. Sw is less develop than Ss and SE yet obi's companies, Atiku companies, most politicians companies have there headquarters in that region.
Yet the migration of igbos to Sw is on increase everyday, yet they base thier funds generation on their daughters marriage, child traffiking in lagos e.t.c
in ''IGR'' abi? Cos if u are talking of GDP Akwa Ibom alone generates more GDP from oil and gas than lagos 80 billion economy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by cdqyehyeh(m): 4:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
Bede2u:
in ''IGR'' abi? Cos if u are talking of GDP Akwa Ibom alone generates more GDP from oil and gas than lagos 80 billion economy
With thier high Gdp they still look at lagos as mentor. Who dea Gdp epp

3 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by oilPUSSY(f): 4:38pm On Dec 12, 2018
Corrinthians:
You are pained because yo know indeed Ogun state alone rubbishes the claim by obi who didn't quote any CREDIBLE DATA to back up his claim.

But he understands the crop of people he is dealing with- a herd of emotional dolts whom all you need to do to secure their loyalty is "wash" them. cheesy

Thank God the people of the South South don't even care about these dry hairy empty chest beatings. cheesy

The other people just keep forcing them into their foolishness. grin
Dead antics..Don't cry that SS dissapointed you in 2019 when the chips are down because you are not into an agreement with them . Even Yoruba Christians are unpredictable judging from the comments made by one of your own in the past.

Meanwhile, when are you going to stop attaching yourselves to Yoruba Christians despite telling you several times that there is difference between light and darkness ?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Highesschief1: 8:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
Let's look at the education sector, the north has always been backward educationally and their leaders are not doing anything about it. The south west that use to compete with the southeast in that sector are beginning to lag behind but down east the average igbo man no matter how poor will struggle to put his kids through school most especially the girl child. This situation in a few years will breed envy and suspicion just like before the Civil War.
My dear yoruba brothers please get your leaders to refocus on education because this is a time bomb waiting to happen, remember how boko haram started. I don talk my own finish.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Ozibe: 8:25pm On Dec 12, 2018
GarriKoro:
South east and south south votes alone still can't get you and your and oga theif elected. Peter Obi is totally unfit for national office, he should try his luck being a senator

Mumu, nobody is talking about the voting strength of the south east and south south, neither are the words of Peter Obi vague. The south east and south south have the fastest growing cities in Nigeria. Is it true or not. Don’t divert the topic to something else

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by GarriKoro(m): 8:40pm On Dec 12, 2018
Ozibe:

Mumu, nobody is talking about the voting strength of the south east and south south, neither are the words of Peter Obi vague. The south east and south south have the fastest growing cities in Nigeria. Is it true or not. Don’t divert the topic to something else
Mumu it's all part of the bigger goal of getting elected to the vice presidency which will never happen

1 Like

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by MadamExcellency: 8:49pm On Dec 12, 2018
The truth is as bright as sunshine.

Why are some people reading amiss? This is not a political discussion rather focuses on human development of Easterners.

Human development is a key to Economic boom.

This topic has nothing to do with dic.k measurement.

4 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 8:58pm On Dec 12, 2018
Highesschief1:
Let's look at the education sector, the north has always been backward educationally and their leaders are not doing anything about it. The south west that use to compete with the southeast in that sector are beginning to lag behind but down east the average igbo man no matter how poor will struggle to put his kids through school most especially the girl child. This situation in a few years will breed envy and suspicion just like before the Civil War.
My dear yoruba brothers please get your leaders to refocus on education because this is a time bomb waiting to happen, remember how boko haram started. I don talk my own finish.
Someone ask me to ask you if you are ok upstairs. So the igbos coming to br house help pass through school? Which wezt is competing with the east? I am not sure you are ok at all.

3 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Galaxyowerri(m): 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2018
Absolute truism! Majority of our people in the have returned home and are continuing to do so in large numbers while those in the rural areas are moving into the cities.
In Owerri for instance, the city has almost doubled in less than 15 years and has spread to merge with other hitherto distinct towns, same with Onitsha and other cities in the SE except probably Aba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Galaxyowerri(m): 9:15pm On Dec 12, 2018
cdqyehyeh:
Stop deceiving yourself!! I tried to live in Lagos years back but the crazy and Hobbesian lifestyle was so bad that I had to sublet my self contained apartment at Palmgroove, close to Ikorodu road (I even got the person here on Nairaland after I advertised it back in 2013) and returned to Owerri. One of the best decisions I ever made!!
Now, stop getting it twisted, the only place of worth in the whole of SW is Lagos which happens to be a no man's land by virtue of being a federal capital territory just as Abuja is today. Industries are being built in Ogun state simply because of its proximity to the no man's land and if not for Lagos, Ogun state would have been as terrible as your other states that have remained archaic, rusty and backward.
Now if I can't stand Lagos, is it Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ibadan, Owo, Ijebu ode, Akure etc that I can live in??

Continue using Lagos (a former capital and no man's land) to hide your backwardness whereas many SE cities at least Owerri and Enugu can be comparable to Abuja in terms of livability.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by kunleweb: 9:39pm On Dec 12, 2018
oilPUSSY:

Dead antics..Don't cry that SS dissapointed you in 2019 when the chips are down because you are not into an agreement with them . Even Yoruba Christians are unpredictable judging from the comments made by one of your own in the past.

Meanwhile, when are you going to stop attaching yourselves to Yoruba Christians despite telling you several times that there is difference between light and darkness ?

Which kind of.monuker is this na
Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Godblesspmb: 9:44pm On Dec 12, 2018
Which city b that? Cos d last time I checked Abuja is the fastest growing city and I know Abuja is not in ss or se
Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Highesschief1: 9:52pm On Dec 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Someone ask me to ask you if you are ok upstairs. So the igbos coming to br house help pass through school? Which wezt is competing with the east? I am not sure you are ok at all.
see what am saying! Like I said... I don talk my own finish
Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 10:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
Galaxyowerri:
Stop deceiving yourself!! I tried to live in Lagos years back but the crazy and Hobbesian lifestyle was so bad that I had to sublet my self contained apartment at Palmgroove, close to Ikorodu road (I even got the person here on Nairaland after I advertised it back in 2013) and returned to Owerri. One of the best decisions I ever made!!
Now, stop getting it twisted, the only place of worth in the whole of SW is Lagos which happens to be a no man's land by virtue of being a federal capital territory just as Abuja is today. Industries are being built in Ogun state simply because of its proximity to the no man's land and if not for Lagos, Ogun state would have been as terrible as your other states that have remained archaic, rusty and backward.
Now if I can't stand Lagos, is it Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ibadan, Owo, Ijebu ode, Akure etc that I can live in??

Continue using Lagos (a former capital and no man's land) to hide your backwardness whereas many SE cities at least Owerri and Enugu can be comparable to Abuja in terms of livability.
Eyah, sorry about your predicament. Atleast, you can only have mind of shouting no man's land on faceless forum. But comd to the main street with megaphnone n say it n see if you will not curse the day you were born. And why confusion. Is it not bini land again? Which one do you belong to? No other western states except lagos, yet your people find it hard to leave those place up to the point they were flogged in Akure, yet they refused to leave. Other southwest states except lagos, yet your people despire being sidline by oyo govt n they start begging for post, yet theu refused to leave. Lagos former capital bla bla, was clabar not former capital. Keep envying up n dan, ypur people will keep dying to leave in south west.

3 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 10:24pm On Dec 12, 2018
Highesschief1:
see what am saying! Like I said... I don talk my own finish
I never said you said my own join yours na. There only two students in the whole country that graduated with total of 5.0 cgpa, one in nugeria n another in europe n both are yorubas. So who is competing with who? Do igbo kids not use as househelp in the west, you cannever see a westerner doing househelp in the east. That is the fact.

2 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Galaxyowerri(m): 10:51pm On Dec 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Eyah, sorry about your predicament. Atleast, you can only have mind of shouting no man's land on faceless forum. But comd to the main street with megaphnone n say it n see if you will not curse the day you were born. And why confusion. Is it not bini land again? Which one do you belong to? No other western states except lagos, yet your people find it hard to leave those place up to the point they were flogged in Akure, yet they refused to leave. Other southwest states except lagos, yet your people despire being sidline by oyo govt n they start begging for post, yet theu refused to leave. Lagos former capital bla bla, was clabar not former capital. Keep envying up n dan, ypur people will keep dying to leave in south west.
You must be a kid! Was Abuja not a jungle before Niger Delta oil money and other Nigerians collectively developed it to what it is today? Yes, Calabar was the capital when oil hasn't been discovered and it was still during a time when everywhere were in "darkness". Lagos would have been like your other decayed and rustic towns that have remained an eyesore even till this day!!
Igbos doing business in the SW doesn't mean your area is anything of worth, rather it shows they are wiser and more enterprising. Igbos are also many and controlling business sectors in very remote places like Zamfara, Yobe, Borno, Chad, Niger etc. Does it mean it's because those places are developed?? My friend you are supposed to have some grey matter in your thick skull, so why not make use of it??

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Galaxyowerri(m): 11:00pm On Dec 12, 2018
Strikethem:
I never said you said my own jpin yours na. There only two students ib the whole country that graduated with total of 5.0 cgpa, one in nugeria n another in europe n both are yorubas. So who is competing with who? Do igbo kids not use as househelp in the west, you cannever see a westerner doing househelp in the east. That is the fact.
Lol, Igbo kids as house helps?? You must be dreaming!! Yes, some Igbos do go and stay with relatives that are better off in the cities, but I have never in entire life seen any Igbo doing house help for Yorubas or Hausas but it's very common to see your people doing house help for Igbos. I used to visit my cousin at her house in Surulere, and there is this Yoruba woman and her kids that usually come to wash her clothes and plates while she feeds and give them money. She couldn't even get Igbos to do those chores for her but there were lots of Yoruba people who were available and even falling over themselves to get the "contract".

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 7:05am On Dec 13, 2018
Galaxyowerri:
Lol, Igbo kids as house helps?? You must be dreaming!! Yes, some Igbos do go and stay with relatives that are better off in the cities, but I have never in entire life seen any Igbo doing house help for Yorubas or Hausas but it's very common to see your people doing house help for Igbos. I used to visit my cousin at her house in Surulere, and there is this Yoruba woman and her kids that usually come to wash her clothes and plates while she feeds and give them money. She couldn't even get Igbos to do those chores for her but there were lots of Yoruba people who were available and even falling over themselves to get the "contract".
See this one lol, 3 of them are in my street alone. You can keep denying yourself. While your brothers n sisters keep jumping into young shall grow to west to do house help. Will i even forget the one they brought for my brother from ebonyi. Kpele tie. I cannot count the number of igbos doing laborer on my grandpa farm.

1 Like

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by Strikethem: 7:26am On Dec 13, 2018
Galaxyowerri:
You must be a kid! Was Abuja not a jungle before Niger Delta oil money and other Nigerians collectively developed it to what it is today? Yes, Calabar was the capital when oil hasn't been discovered and it was still during a time when everywhere were in "darkness". Lagos would have been like your other decayed and rustic towns that have remained an eyesore even till this day!!
Igbos doing business in the SW doesn't mean your area is anything of worth, rather it shows they are wiser and more enterprising. Igbos are also many and controlling business sectors in very remote places like Zamfara, Yobe, Borno, Chad, Niger etc. Does it mean it's because those places are developed?? My friend you are supposed to have some grey matter in your thick skull, so why not make use of it??
Lol, When was oil dicovered in nigeria lol. Omo una no go kill me with laughter. Lagos became capital in 1914 n oil was discovered in 1956. How oil was used to develop lagos is laughable. Omo una, use your brain small na. When you do not even know when oil was discovered lol. What business are you controllin on north lol. You guys like decieving yourselves. Same way una dey claim tp control banking and ICT not until one of you came here to larment how yorubas control the ICT sector in nigeria. Go n learn n read-before coming here to disgrace yourself.

4 Likes

Re: South East And South South Have The Fastest Growing Cities In Nigeria. Peter Obi by derealj(m): 7:56am On Dec 13, 2018
Strikethem:
Lol, When was oil dicovered in nigeria lol. Omo una no go kill me with laughter. Lagos became capital in 1914 n oil was discovered in 1956. How oil was used to develop lagos is laughable. Omo una, use your brain small na. When you do not even know when oil was discovered lol. What business are you controllin on north lol. You guys like decieving yourselves. Same way una dey claim tp control banking and ICT not until one of you came here to larment how yorubas control the ICT sector in nigeria. Go n learn n read-before coming here to disgrace yourself.

Alaye Lagos stopped being the Capital in 1991, so yes a lot of oil money was pumped into the city for it's development yet many parts of Lagos are uninhabitable for the sane mind.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NBS: Nigeria Imported 5.32bn Litres Of Petrol In Q4 2018 / Seyi Makinde Sacked 28 Lawyers For Not Being The One That Employed Them / Edo 2020: Governor Obaseki Runs To Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.