Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,006 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

My Nigerian Trip - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Nigerian Trip (9032 Views)

Nigerian's Trip Around The USA Part 2 ( Holy Land Experience, Disneyworld) / What I Saw While Trying To Renew My Nigerian Passport / My Nigerian Experience – Ljiljana Kostic, A Serbian Living In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Nigerian Trip by LiftedMan: 5:42pm On Dec 15, 2018
hok4u:

Why do you want to know?

@OP beware jawe

Re: My Nigerian Trip by charzyh2: 7:03pm On Dec 15, 2018
Ugosample:

Africans in general do NOT deserve respect

This is me saying the COLD TRUTH

until we earn it, the world will continue to see us as jokers undecided

@ bolded are your parents included?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Ugosample(m): 7:29pm On Dec 15, 2018
charzyh2:
@ bolded are your parents included?

I repeat, Africans as a group do NOT deserve respect

We may strive as individuals to make small marks here and there

BUT that does not count
what counts is how the general group is

Africans i repeat for the third time in general DO NOT DESERVE respect cheesy

They need to earn it cool

the same way everyone has earned theirs

we are seen as jokers and treated as such

8 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by charzyh2: 8:01pm On Dec 15, 2018
Ugosample:

I repeat, Africans as a group do NOT deserve respect

We may strive as individuals to make small marks here and there

BUT that does not count
what counts is how the general group is

Africans i repeat for the third time in general DO NOT DESERVE respect cheesy

They need to earn it cool

the same way everyone has earned theirs

we are seen as jokers and treated as such
please answer this:

so which continent deserves respect and why?

What makes you think your father doesn't deserve respect

To start with, this is a low self esteem from your side. This forum is read worldwide. I think you need to learn how to control your emotions in a public forum like this (this will take you far).

Let me educate you: We don't have people problem in Africa, we only have 'system' problem. Until the right system is in place, Africa will always take 1 step forward and 2 steps backward.

So, our political leaders are to be blamed for most of the woes.

There's nothing wrong with the Africans in general.

Lufthansa provided bad services and the next thing that comes from your head is that Africans don't deserve respect? Don't let me arrest you.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Beautyaddy: 8:24pm On Dec 15, 2018
vululadilolo:

I'm not Nigerian but I had to comment on your flight experience with Lufthansa cause I went through a similar experience while going back to my home country sometimes ago.

I also flew with one of those [b]"renowned" Airlines [/b]and I had one of the worst customer services experience ever. Terrible...It's like some of those Airlines employees see African Countries as hell. Unhappy Hostesses, poor on ground services, poor on air experience. In my own case, they even "refused" to serve us food at an "appropriate"time. The flight was late, the plane "old", the seats uncomfortable..All around bad...When I think about how much money I paid for the flight ticket, I just shake my head.

The funniest thing is I flew the same airlines some times later to another part of the world( from the same airport) and it was a totally different experience. "Newer" and "cleaner" plane, respectful hostesses, plenty food, very nice on air service etc. You could feel that they knew they were talking to/serving fellow human beings.

Hopefully one day, some our countries will get "there" and we will be treated with the respect we all deserve.

Can you give us the name of this airline? undecided
Re: My Nigerian Trip by Beautyaddy: 8:28pm On Dec 15, 2018
Goldenboy007:
Hey let me add ... If you are ever in Chicago . pm me .. free lunch on me in some of our best restaurants.

Lol!...Visiting Chicago during this winter period is a no-go attempt.

Re-send this invitation again sometime in May 2019.
Re: My Nigerian Trip by cue64: 12:11am On Dec 16, 2018
I’m only here to reecho what ugosample has said Until we earn that respect we honestly do not deserve it....if you’ve travelled to the gulfs and see what this people do to Africans? And learn that our fellow Africans and some of our diplomats would support this people simply becos they are of same religion you’d realize that a lot I still wrong with Africa!!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by cue64: 12:19am On Dec 16, 2018
Mancala:

At face value, I have no arguments with your assertions. But lets dig a little deeper.
I will attempt to address this from the perspective of how so called developed, organized or civilized societies portray themselves as highly evolved and organized around a set of guiding principles and philosophies or creed. It is instructive to note that in Western societies, respect is given, not because the recipient deserves it, but because of whom you are or claim to be. For example, you don't open the door for a woman or allow her to go ahead of you, or pull up a chair for her because she is a lady. You do so because you are a gentleman and you will do it for any and every woman regardless of being a lady or not. I see some of this in Yoruba culture where you are compelled to respect all elders ...... King, naive, jester, servant. Not because they deserve it in any way, but because it is the culture and it is who they are as a people.

So what's my point? I call out Lufthansa for their hypocrisy. They shouldn't treat us like crap because we behave irresponsibly and probably deserve it. They espouse to be evolved beyond that. We are paying customers and should always be treated well. If they can't handle the heat, they should either leave or institute consequences for those that don't abide by civilized norms and treat the remaining well. After all, they do charge a premium on those routes which should cover the inconvenience.
sorry to come under ur mention but Lufthansa is too far come home and see how these Indians and Chinese treat Africa even in our own Africa and understand the point he is. Trying to make.. if I work for a Chinese man and he treats me badly then I decide to leave cos I want to keep my respect is it guaranteed that i’ll Get another job in my country? If I have an issue with the India national whom I work with and the police or military in Nigeria is invited, will they ask and find out who was truly wrong before Dey pounce on me? Why do the foreigners in Africa skip queues and jump ahead at any point and our people still attend to them first before we that has been on that queue before them Once again sorry for being on ur mention but Africa in general doesn’t deserve that respect until they earn it.

4 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Mancala: 2:08am On Dec 16, 2018
cue64:
sorry to come under ur mention but Lufthansa is too far come home and see how these Indians and Chinese treat Africa even in our own Africa and understand the point he is. Trying to make.. if I work for a Chinese man and he treats me badly then I decide to leave cos I want to keep my respect is it guaranteed that i’ll Get another job in my country? If I have an issue with the India national whom I work with and the police or military in Nigeria is invited, will they ask and find out who was truly wrong before Dey pounce on me? Why do the foreigners in Africa skip queues and jump ahead at any point and our people still attend to them first before we that has been on that queue before them Once again sorry for being on ur mention but Africa in general doesn’t deserve that respect until they earn it.

Hey, no need to apologize. Participation in the discourse is highly encouraged, the more the merrier smiley. Let's talk about the Chinese and Indians. No offense intended to any nationality, but neither of them subscribes to the philosophies I described. Have you seen how they treat their own people? Not much better than how they treat Nigerians in our country. They are only behaving the way they know how to. I am not making excuses for their behavior in Nigeria. Our authorities should enforce the laws, but we all know what's up with that. The only option open to Nigerians is self help. If workers organize and all refuse to work for these companies, maybe change will come.

As for foreigners that skip queues in Nigeria, we should call them out and disgrace them when they do so. I have done so several times when in Nigeria and it works like a charm.

12 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Olalekank(m): 5:58am On Dec 16, 2018
Mancala:

Hey, no need to apologize. Participation in the discourse is highly encouraged, the more the merrier smiley. Let's talk about the Chinese and Indians. No offense intended to any nationality, but neither of them subscribes to the philosophies I described. Have you seen how they treat their own people? Not much better than how they treat Nigerians in our country. They are only behaving the way they know how to. I am not making excuses for their behavior in Nigeria. Our authorities should enforce the laws, but we all know what's up with that. The only option open to Nigerians is self help. If workers organize and all refuse to work for these companies, maybe change will come.

As for foreigners that skip queues in Nigeria, we should call them out and disgrace them when they do so. I have done so several times when in Nigeria and it works like a charm.
I read your previous posts here and I like your ideologies which are proven with a valid argument.

We should come to understand that we pay the SAME amount as the guys in the west would - then we get to be treated badly like we are nothing? Doesn't make any sense. Respect is reciprocal, I paid in full (not that I am owing you or something) so I deserve full respect that you'd accord to the people from other continents. The double standards where Africans are treated in a manner in which people in other continents can't allow need to be checked; and it starts from us. TODAY, starting from the last line in the comment I just quoted.

I sent a PM

3 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Ugosample(m): 8:39am On Dec 16, 2018
cue64:
I’m only here to reecho what ugosample has said Until we earn that respect we honestly do not deserve it....if you’ve travelled to the gulfs and see what this people do to Africans? And learn that our fellow Africans and some of our diplomats would support this people simply becos they are of same religion you’d realize that a lot I still wrong with Africa!!!!

At least someone understands where I'm coming from
Re: My Nigerian Trip by Ugosample(m): 9:01am On Dec 16, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Let me remind you that you're also an African! you talk like you're exempted, what have you done to deserve disrespect? If you're guilty I'm not, punishment shouldnt be collective, we shouldn't be treated nasty cos we're Africans. You've ruined the poster diary. Someone came here to share his experience and you've littered everywhere with your curses, anger, inferiority complex + racism, control yourself bro. Justwise need to edit your nasty words it's too much & irrelevant.

Well.....

I posted based on his experience and I got mentions which I replied.

I did not ruin anything, I just said the truth as it is; without sugar coating it.

Don't worry, by next year you will b travelling as usual, you
will also come to share your experience grin cheesy

The world treats sub groups as collectives not as individuals. And that is why as a group, Africans will continue to be treated like $hit.

Ideally we are supposed to br treated individually, but the world does not work that way

The general perception of the sub group you belong to plays a huge part on how you get treated out there

That's the truth

6 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by oluayebenz: 9:32am On Dec 16, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Let me remind you that you're also an African! you talk like you're exempted, what have you done to deserve disrespect? If you're guilty I'm not, punishment shouldnt be collective, we shouldn't be treated nasty cos we're Africans. You've ruined the poster diary. Someone came here to share his experience and you've littered everywhere with your curses, anger, inferiority complex + racism, control yourself bro. Justwise need to edit your nasty words it's too much & irrelevant.

When I said Nigerians is the problem of this country
Some will come in bunch to attack me.

Imagine what nonsense that Nigerian guy is saying.

They were treating your people like shit you still come online to say they don't deserve it.
Those are d kind of people we have in govt .

@Mizwisdom Please do not quote him again

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 10:20am On Dec 16, 2018
lionlee216:

Present sir grin grin

Our best restuarant as in African restaurants?

Oh no... Not African restaurant. We cannot have any African restaurant better what you will get in Nigeria. I meant American Restaurant or Mediterranean, or Chinese lol.
Re: My Nigerian Trip by justwise(m): 10:21am On Dec 16, 2018
Ugosample:

you are validating my point!

Africans as a group are seen as JOKERS

Except you want to fool yourself, that's the truth.

Okay, Lufthansa gave bad service, whom will you report to?

Okay, let's assume CPC in Nigeria

What will they do

NOTHING

Because these people know that you monkeys can t do $hit, they will continue to $hit on your head, and that is why you guys don't deserve respect

The world knows they can get away with whatever, when it comes to Africans because they can't do $hit!

Your diplomats can't do $hit

Your fvckin govt can't do $hit

You niggas don't even have the buying power to boycott them, because you CAN'T!

Call it inferiority complex, you are only deluding yourself

I know what I have seen and faced that has made me come to this conclusion that indeed Africans are fvcked in the grand scheme of things.

Even Turkish air and Air Maroc treats sub Saharan Africans like $hit!

What can you do?

You know what would have befallen companies if they messed with Americans, Brits, Saudis, Japanese, Chinese or Russian folks/customers/citizens?

I don't need to say it, you know

So I repeat again for the umpteenth time...

Africans AS A GROUP deserve NO respect, as the bottom feeder in everything

Disprove me and I'll take it back

This sort of disgraceful language will not be tolerated here, I'm all up for free speech but don't abuse the freedom to have one.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 10:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Mancala:

Coincidentally, I will be in Chicago next Tuesday on a business trip, but on a tight regimented schedule. Flying into Dupage or Midway for 9am and leaving by 4pm. I always dread Chicago in the winter. Y'all don't do well with snow. Flights are often cancelled and traffic that is hellacious on a normal day becomes actual hell. But Chicago nightlife can sweet die. Lots of stories to tell from my younger days when I used to go to St. Charles and will hangout with my Japanese, South American and European consulting buddies grin

Yeah you right .. winter ain't great here but we had heavy snow last year so I am hoping this year would be light. Although it's so cold right now. Midway Ah that's far from me .. I live close to O'Hare, Des Plaines to be precise.. Well my invitation. Is still opened. Des Plaines is in North West suburb - I doubt if they have any exciting night life.
Re: My Nigerian Trip by cue64: 10:27am On Dec 16, 2018
Mancala:

you see, u just said how we can start to earn that respect if workers come together and say they won’t work! But trust me in Nigeria if that happens, they’ll gladly fire every single one of them and employ the next Jobless youth who is always willing to work. My problem is not the way they treat us my problem is the way our authorities and our fellow Africans worship them even as they treat us Badly

6 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Olalekank(m): 10:38am On Dec 16, 2018
Ugosample:

Well.....

I posted based on his experience and I got mentions which I replied.

I did not ruin anything, I just said the truth as it is; without sugar coating it.

Don't worry, by next year you will b travelling as usual, you
will also come to share your experience grin cheesy

The world treats sub groups as collectives not as individuals. And that is why as a group, Africans will continue to be treated like $hit.

Ideally we are supposed to br treated individually, but the world does not work that way

The general perception of the sub group you belong to plays a huge part on how you get treated out there

That's the truth
Do I, Olalekan who have tried all within my power to keep the laws of the land, stay from crime and just a student who criticizes online fraudulent acts, due to the bad image it labels Nigerians, deserve to be treated like a lowly and animal in another man land I?

Don't forget I paid for the visa, paid for the ticket and then I get treated like that.

The way you're generalizing this is like you giving birth to your child in the UK, he's probably a citizen of Nigeria and UK just like the situation of the UK. Then this your child wants to travel to Nigeria having never left the UK before and he's treated like that. Does he deserve it just because he's a "Nigerian"?

6 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 10:39am On Dec 16, 2018
Hey guys sheath your swords - you do not need to fight each other. I came to Lagos and y'all look so angry - and this aggression you bring it online. Life is about perspectives - Ugo may be angry about something he experienced , Nigeria can be very frustrating sometimes, however Ugo as they advised - every human deserves a level of diginity - like someone said we all paid the airfare so treat us with respect.

Also let's promote ourselves online - we are all ambassadors of our countries + if you post nasty stuffs about your country , that's what people would see. We do not need to fight each other - like I said we all see issues from different angle. America has it's own challenges but I have not seen a set of people that love their country like the Americans do. One thing I can tell you , apart from the peculiar challenges in Nigeria , there is no place like home.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Trip by cue64: 11:10am On Dec 16, 2018
Olalekank:

Do I, Olalekan who have tried all within my power to keep the laws of the land, stay from crime and just a student who criticizes online fraudulent acts, due to the bad image it labels Nigerians, deserve to be treated like a lowly and animal in another man land I?

Don't forget I paid for the visa, paid for the ticket and then I get treated like that.

The way you're generalizing this is like you giving birth to your child in the UK, he's probably a citizen of Nigeria and UK just like the situation of the UK. Then this your child wants to travel to Nigeria having never left the UK before and he's treated like that. Does he deserve it just because he's a "Nigerian"?
do the ibo’s who legit hustle and have a clean business deserve to be tagged drug peddlers?? Do the Yoruba who work online legitimately deserve to be tagged fraudsters?? Does that Edo girl who works legitimately or studies in Europe deserve to be called a prostitute?? Like Ugosample said it’s a sub group issue and not an individual one. And until we unite and say enough is enough, this trend will continue
Re: My Nigerian Trip by cue64: 11:18am On Dec 16, 2018
Goldenboy007:
Hey guys sheath your swords - you do not need to fight each other. I came to Lagos and y'all look so angry - and this aggression you bring it online. Life is about perspectives - Ugo may be angry about something he experienced , Nigeria can be very frustrating sometimes, however Ugo as they advised - every human deserves a level of diginity - like someone said we all paid the airfare so treat us with respect.

Also let's promote ourselves online - we are all ambassadors of our countries + if you post nasty stuffs about your country , that's what people would see. We do not need to fight each other - like I said we all see issues from different angle. America has it's own challenges but I have not seen a set of people that love their country like the Americans do. One thing I can tell you , apart from the peculiar challenges in Nigeria , there is no place like home.
sorry to degress a little bit, any African who has ever treated or talked bad about a fellow African doesn’t deserve respect one bit, if u re Yoruba and u ever insulted the ibo’s or u re an ibo and ever insulted anHausa simply becos he is from a different tribe you deserve to be treated without respect. We can’t generalize this but the wrong multitude is larger than the right few... all we are saying is if we can’t fix our house Nobody will respect us... abi nor be people Dey sing song to promote yahoo boys? Or nor be people Dey comeonline come fight so same politicians wey put us for this predicament

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Originalsly: 11:57am On Dec 16, 2018
cue64:
you see, u just said how we can start to earn that respect if workers come together and say they won’t work! But trust me in Nigeria if that happens, they’ll gladly fire every single one of them and employ the next Jobless youth who is always willing to work. My problem is not the way they treat us my problem is the way our authorities and our fellow Africans worship them even as they treat us Badly

Following the arguments. I do agree that we have to earn respect. The airlines treat us...as a people... the way they do because we allow it. We as a people do not pressure the suppressors... whether they be the airlines....foreign businesses...whoever....to toe the line. Our inaction is what gives them more power to treat us like animals. What do we do?...We either pray for change...or point fingers at the authorities and hope that they find it in their heart to do the right thing. That will never happen. Our corrupt politicuans... it is us that put them in power....over and over again....then we complain. We have the power to change the script...but we don't use it...instead..we complain to each other.
Below...Brooklyn NYC... Koreans dominate the nail salon business... yes we know they are racists.... but they know to keep their racism in check.... should an employee display any form of racism even in the form of disrespect to a customer... the reaction from the community is swift...the business is strangled...cash flow cut off. Until we as a people start taking such actions...nothing would change.

@ Op....following...entertaining write up!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
You know what .. change needs to start from somewhere .. who has any idea or link to someone or authority we can complain to? If we all write to BBC or Lufthansa or CNN. When we are many then they would take us serious

One of our problems is we keep quiet a lot, we get used to people not treating us right. I remember my experience with MTN customer service - the lady screamed at me - a customer representative - just because I asked her to clarify my call charges. If you do that in US, you will lose your job. I will just ask for your supervisor.
Custom and immigration at MMIA has been fantastic recently because one actor raised alarm of the mess at the airport. We need to start writing reviews of businesses . When they start losing money they will adjust. If 10 of us who had similar experience write - someone would see it. Rather than fighting ourselves here let's direct our anger to the right source. Nigerians can endure anything, let's set the social media on fire with how we are treated , you would be surprised at how many people would come out with their experience. If I did not put this out here, I would not know people have had same Experience. Reading from all of you has encouraged me to write a review, I am going to follow it up.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Trip by moonraker(m): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2018
I have tried every airliner flying into MMIA. KLM? Turkish? Air France Emirates Qatar.

Same old bullshit... They charge so much and offer so little while adding disrespect to the mix.

I will admit. Nigerians can be very uncivilized but these are paying customers. They did not get the ticket for free..

anyways word of advice. Use Qatar if you can.

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 12:47pm On Dec 16, 2018
I just wrote to Ali Baba.. let's continue spreading it till someone listens. It cannot continue. We Nigerians endure a lot of BS. We need to start complaining and writing reviews. I will check Lufthansa site and write a review too.

Modified - I just added my review on Lufthansa. I will send similar letters to people that I know are social critics - if nothing is done for now , it would be on record till it happens to someone influencial. I am laying the foundation.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 1:19pm On Dec 16, 2018
Generic email from Lufthansa.. but I know they would reach out. The least I would get an apology and hopefully they change some process.

3 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Mancala: 3:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
Goldenboy007:
Generic email from Lufthansa.. but I know they would reach out. The least I would get an apology and hopefully they change some process.

Thanks for doing this. All of us could benefit from any potential positive change that comes out of it. However, I'm a bit of a skeptic cause I know how these things work, been in the corporate game too long. This is exactly what they want aggrieved customers to do so that they can deal with you one on one in secret and appease you at minimal cost with no real change happening. You know what works .......and what they don't want you to do? Put it out on social media with compelling proof like a video or audio grin... I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this. If you do this, they are not only dealing with you, they are dealing with their entire customer base and must make visible tangible amends in public. Twitter, Facebook, Google and YouTube were disallowed in countries like China because the govt knows these are the modern tools of change. One doesn't need to carry a gun or organize on the streets to hold up a govt or corporate organization anymore. Twitter is just as effective, perhaps even more. I wonder what our orange faced leader has put out on twitter this fine Sunday morning grin

8 Likes

Re: My Nigerian Trip by Goldenboy007(m): 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
Mancala:

Thanks for doing this. All of us could benefit from any potential positive change that comes out of it. However, I'm a bit of a skeptic cause I know how these things work, been in the corporate game too long. This is exactly what they want aggrieved customers to do so that they can deal with you one on one in secret and appease you at minimal cost with no real change happening. You know what works .......and what they don't want you to do? Put it out on social media with compelling proof like a video or audio grin... I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this. If you do this, they are not only dealing with you, they are dealing with their entire customer base and must make visible tangible amends in public. Twitter, Facebook, Google and YouTube were disallowed in countries like China because the govt knows these are the modern tools of change. One doesn't need to carry a gun or organize on the streets to hold up a govt or corporate organization anymore. Twitter is just as effective, perhaps even more. I wonder what our orange faced leader has put out on twitter this fine Sunday morning grin

You are 110% correct and I like your train of thougjt. Only my voice cannot make the change, if we all petition the necessary bodies then a change would come. I am only laying a foundation - we should start a hashtag and videos . Social media is our power. However we should also sound a word of warning .. we Nigerians should respect ourselves too. We cannot be treated better than we treat ourselves.
I have sent to AliBaba's page .. let's hope he treats this as important then it would not be about shutting me up with compensation. The truth is you all gave me the encouragement to complain - so let's continue the campaign against mistreatment .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians Living In Brazil (rio De Janeiro) / Bahamas For Hustler / Working In Newzealand... Looks Promising, But How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.