Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,985 members, 7,821,434 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (25900 Views)

Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University In Nigeria Accepts 2.2 For A Direct Masters Programme? / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Sultty(m): 8:26pm On Dec 16, 2018
asuustrike1:

Are you saying covenant is not trying?
I'll rather arrange everything to get foreign education. Covenant is not really worth it
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by reformed: 8:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
tunjijones:

Can you plz remove Futa from that list?

I studied computer science in that freaking sch. I didn't get to use a computer until my IT period. Second semester 400level.

U graduated from FUTA in the 1980s right? Because I can't relate with this your post

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Emeskhalifa(m): 8:44pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bros no dull ursef oo. Carry dat money check udemy. Better courses dey there wey u fit study.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by vezycash(m): 8:52pm On Dec 16, 2018
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Elxandre(m): 10:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
johnmario50:
National Open University of Nigeria
(NOUN)
Are you sure you're okay like this? grin grin cheesy
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Ahmadu74(m): 10:32pm On Dec 16, 2018
FUTMINNA
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Elxandre(m): 10:32pm On Dec 16, 2018
Meanwhile I disagree that all you need to learn in Computer science is "programming". Hell no!
If this was true, it would simply be called software development.

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by tunjijones(m): 10:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
simplebb:

Long time ago sir.

As an engineering student at FUTA, I did programming in 100/200level and used the school facilities and it was top notch.

Some of my mates now work at Andela and a host of IT firms as they went on to built on that knowledge even though they weren't CSC students.

In case you don't know, the school now has school of Computing and has introduced several IT courses like Software Engineering, ICT etc. As a matter of fact, the school just opened a Tech Hub called the Akure Tech Hub, it was launched by the state governor, thoroughly furnished and open to the use of the general society.

I know few colleagues that we finished together back then that studied CSC and they are very sound in IT applications and doing very well in the field now.

To the Op, if you are financially buoyant just travel overseas for your study.

If not, you can choose FUTA, OAU or FUTO.

Good for you guys. Wen I was in Futa the sch was crap... I still regret wasting 5 yrs of my life in that place...
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by hajimutex1: 10:53pm On Dec 16, 2018
Sincerely oau will offer u the best especially in area of technology
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by simplebb: 11:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
tunjijones:

Good for you guys. Wen I was in Futa the sch was crap... I still regret wasting 5 yrs of my life in that place...

Oops sorry about that sir, guess that was then....

My 5 years there was nothing short of excellence, the training received was thorough and contemporary.

Infact when it comes to Engineering and Technology, I will recommend FUTA again and again.

We thrive outta school.

3 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by frankosivue(m): 11:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
Dannychukz:

it's one of the worst departments there,they don't even have a department building they can boldly call theirs,talk more of a lecture theatre...they are like sheep without shepherd ...they just roam the school..the bright ones learn what they ought to learn by studying online,some switch to G others dropout..
hmmm. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by scholes23(m): 11:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
Madonna University
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by mikeking12: 11:46pm On Dec 16, 2018
OAU is very good in Computer science and engineering the only federal school to introduce python, Java, c++ etc

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by ifelekan1(m): 11:46pm On Dec 16, 2018
If you can afford it, give in to Mountain Top University, Ibafo you shall be convinced
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by DreamCaptain: 11:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bro. I strongly recommend FUTA

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by biztip: 11:50pm On Dec 16, 2018
none
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by scopp(m): 12:13am On Dec 17, 2018
Futminna.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by edicied: 12:23am On Dec 17, 2018
Threads like this make me sick.... For crying out loud computer science is not programing! The op said he want to learn Computer science all this peeps are just replying nonsense...
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by edicied: 12:34am On Dec 17, 2018
vezycash:

Yes. And study software engineering. Worldwide, computer science is mainly about algorithms and mathematics. I've checked Berkley, Mit, Stanford and covenant university curricula and they are the same.
Thank you very much for this it's funny how people choose course to study without knowing what it entails and when they Start doing the course they start to complain like most are doing on the thread, and just displaying their ignorance.....Computer science is not about coding. its mostly theory and mathematics you don't necessarily need to know how to code to be a computer scientist cause that's just a small part of it.

3 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bioscom(m): 12:46am On Dec 17, 2018
fortifiedng:
Please which university is best for studying computer science in Nigeria

Unilag
FUTA
University of Nigeria

Please, really need help

Thanks.

Don't waste your time going to University to study Computer Science. Go for other engineering course and do some online or in-class study of any area you want to know in computer.

Computer studies is just an application to support other areas of endeavour. You will remain a support person to any other area of Business.

You can go for Electrical and Electronics. by the time you graduate, you can function as a computer person or as an Elect Elect person. Doing only Computer Science will streamline you to a singular opportunity.

You can ask Seun, the Nairaland owner. He studied Elect Elect in Ife, I can tell you that no Computer Science Student of his set, has a functional web portal that has integrated millions like Nairaland. Even when he was in school, there are some concepts that when he explained, some computer science students did not understand.

My Advice.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by jokality(m): 12:49am On Dec 17, 2018
Bayero University kano
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by adebayo3449(m): 2:56am On Dec 17, 2018
tunjijones:

Can you plz remove Futa from that list?

I studied computer science in that freaking sch. I didn't get to use a computer until my IT period. Second semester 400level.
I disagree with this sir
Even as an engineering student, you will do CSC and it's one student per computer for programming.
This is 100L,200L,300L o.
Samething applicable to those studying agric related courses.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by HigherEd: 5:06am On Dec 17, 2018
vezycash:

Oga I schooled at Covenant for four good years - computer science department! People look at covenant's fantastic buildings, their green lawns and conclude that what they teach must be good.

Does covenant produce good employees? Yes. Why? Cos they've been trained to sit and wait for orders. They dress very well (responsibly) - part of the training. Their arts / commercial degree holders are definitely above average. However, their engineering/science degrees are worthless IMO.

My pal who made an electric car in his final year while in covenant didn't learn it from school. He only presented a small part of the car as his final year project, yet, his professors didn't understand squat.

What part did he present? He called it Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency controller and his lecturers were stunned. They couldn't a single reasonable question. You know what this VVVF thing is? A giant rotor whose speed can be controlled via software.

For employment purpose, you can't do worse than covenant. But if you want to learn programming, Babcock, or even futo's better.

My advice? Just do one random simple course. Graduate with first class or 2nd upper with ease. On the side, learn programming online.
Don't know whether you are a cu grad or an impostor but all you said about CU is a mountain of trash.

The entirety of Piggybank founders are Covenant grads, same with PushCV. The entire founding team of KoraNetwork led by Dickson Nsofor are Covenant grads. Kora raised $12 million in a round of funding. Softcom was founded by a CU grad. I myself cofounded a tech startup in real estate that is doing pretty well for a four month old company. SANWO a fintech from CU has over 10,000 customers from its own community so I would advise to correct your statement and don't ever try to ridicule CU grad here as slavish employers who have no sense of direction.

5 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by HigherEd: 5:07am On Dec 17, 2018
vezycash:

Oga I schooled at Covenant for four good years - computer science department! People look at covenant's fantastic buildings, their green lawns and conclude that what they teach must be good.

Does covenant produce good employees? Yes. Why? Cos they've been trained to sit and wait for orders. They dress very well (responsibly) - part of the training. Their arts / commercial degree holders are definitely above average. However, their engineering/science degrees are worthless IMO.

My pal who made an electric car in his final year while in covenant didn't learn it from school. He only presented a small part of the car as his final year project, yet, his professors didn't understand squat.

What part did he present? He called it Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency controller and his lecturers were stunned. They couldn't a single reasonable question. You know what this VVVF thing is? A giant rotor whose speed can be controlled via software.

For employment purpose, you can't do worse than covenant. But if you want to learn programming, Babcock, or even futo's better.

My advice? Just do one random simple course. Graduate with first class or 2nd upper with ease. On the side, learn programming online.
Don't know whether you are a cu grad or an impostor but all you said about CU is a mountain of trash.

The entirety of Piggybank founders are Covenant grads, same with PushCV. The entire founding team of KoraNetwork led by Dickson Nsofor are Covenant grads. Kora raised $12 million in a round of funding. Softcom was founded by a CU grad. I myself cofounded a tech startup in real estate that is doing pretty well for a four month old company. SANWO a fintech from CU has over 10,000 customers from its own community so I would advise to correct your statement and don't ever try to ridicule CU grad here as slavish employees who have no sense of direction.
Halifaxguy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bjboss(m): 5:11am On Dec 17, 2018
Heywhizzy:

The best place to study computer science in Nigeria is your home with your laptop or go to any good computer school.. Most Nigerian universities if not all will spend four years teaching you ancient computer languages and what is computer
This where people get it wrong ,computer science is not all about programming languages. Programming is jst a tool in computer science. I agreed with about learning online cos all what we do is self learning.
Futa is a nice place to learn but you hav to really accept dat u want to study in a nigeria university.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by vezycash(m): 5:13am On Dec 17, 2018
HigherEd:

The entirety of Piggybank founders are Covenant grads, same with PushCV. The entire founding team of KoraNetwork led by Dickson Nsofor are Covenant grads. Kora raised million in a round of funding. Softcom was founded by a CU grad. I myself cofounded a tech startup in real estate that is doing pretty well for a four month old company. SANWO a fintech from CU has over 10,000 customers from its own community so I would advise to correct your statement and don't ever try to ridicule CU grad here as slavish employees who have no sense of direction.
Halifaxguy

Now let's see if you're telling the truth. Where did you learn to program - CU?
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bjboss(m): 5:17am On Dec 17, 2018
reformed:

U graduated from FUTA in the 1980s right? Because I can't relate with this your post
Abeg hlp me am say, na all classes him dey miss?
CSC 101 102 201 202 204, all of them,no be pratical
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bjboss(m): 5:24am On Dec 17, 2018
edicied:
Threads like this make me sick.... For crying out loud computer science is not programing! The op said he want to learn Computer science all this peeps are just replying nonsense...
Brother.. i tire for all of them o

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bjboss(m): 5:28am On Dec 17, 2018
edicied:
Thank you very much for this it's funny how people choose course to study without knowing what it entails and when they Start doing the course they start to complain like most are doing on the thread, and just displaying their ignorance.....Computer science is not about coding. its mostly theory and mathematics you don't necessarily need to know how to code to be a computer scientist cause that's just a small part of it.
Brother , most people think they wil start teaching them microsoft packages,corel draw e.t.c ...

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bjboss(m): 5:34am On Dec 17, 2018
bioscom:

Don't waste your time going to University to study Computer Science. Go for other engineering course and do some online or in-class study of any area you want to know in computer.
Computer studies is just an application to support other areas of endeavour. You will remain a support person to any other area of Business.
You can go for Electrical and Electronics. by the time you graduate, you can function as a computer person or as an Elect Elect person. Doing only Computer Science will streamline you to a singular opportunity.
You can ask Seun, the Nairaland owner. He studied Elect Elect in Ife, I can tell you that no Computer Science Student of his set, has a functional web portal that has integrated millions like Nairaland. Even when he was in school, there are some concepts that when he explained, some computer science students did not understand.
My Advice.

Oma se o, do u tink computer sci. is abt owning a web portal? Mr Seun abeg come lecture this guy

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Casemiro(m): 7:04am On Dec 17, 2018
> it is well

learn at home

choi shocked big momas garden
Natural home remedies
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by adewad13(m): 7:11am On Dec 17, 2018
well for me, the best option for you is LAUTECH if truly you wanted to study computer science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Check Your Admission Status Via Jamb Website / Mmesoma Ejikeme: JAMB Statement On Result Of Anambra Government Enquiry. / Obafemi Awolowo University Student Union Suspended

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.