Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,657 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) (2247 Views)

Kano And Borno Laughing As Abia And Enugu Watch From The Back. / I Went Home And Found This Biafra Pounds In My Late Dad Box / Labourers Find Biafra Pounds Hidden In Bottle And Buried During Biafran War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by donsolo4u2c(m): 8:47am On Dec 20, 2018
Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO)

Gist By Ebonyidailynews.com

Members of the indigenous people of  in Trans-Ekulu  Enugu state carried out a practical trading using Biafra currencies.

Ebonyi Daily News learnt that the currency spent in the defunct Republic of Biafra during the Nigerian civil war (1967-70), Biafran Pound, has surreptitiously crept into the currency market, serving as the legal tender in some communities along the West African coast.

Ebonyi Daily News gathered  that the money is being spent in the border town between Togo and Republic of Benin, while some currency hawkers also exchange it for the naira and other currencies in the border town between Ghana and Togo.

One Biafran pound still bears the signature of Dr. Syvelster Ugo, the then Governor of the Central Bank of the defunct Biafran Republic and the picture of a palm tree. Its back has the coat of arms of the republic with the inscription: “peace, unity and freedom.

What is, however, baffling about the currency is that it has more value than the Nigerian naira and it is openly accepted as a legal tender in the affected communities.

The video of the practical trading of the currency had since got the polity Divided with diverse opinion.

Watch Video below and don't forget to share;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mULwpBbD3nk

https://ebonyidailynews.com/2018/12/20/biafra-begins-practical-use-of-biafra-pounds-to-trade-in-enugu-watch-video/
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 20, 2018
lol, I pity the trader that will accept biafra money, the kind poverty were go nack the trader ehn, nor get part 2.

6 Likes

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 20, 2018
Donmedra:
Smh I told many people that we southerners are dead if we continue to stay with these people

We have nothing in common for God sake.

It's now Muslims that are telling the southern Christians when and when not go celebrate Christmas.

I'm just laughing here because in the next 60 years, they'll probably ban Christmas in Nigeria.
E don do na
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by austinsmat(m): 9:16am On Dec 20, 2018
Like play like play hmmmn no comment
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Indigenous(f): 9:17am On Dec 20, 2018
Fighting for freedom is the work of every Biafra's not only Nnamdi kanu .my fellow Biafra's. if you study Yoruba history very well,you will see this people have already been cursed by their fellow Yoruba who they betray back then.the man placed a curse on the Yoruba race that the only thing they will be good at is gossiping, backbiting, wickedness,evil and many unimaginable things.Yoruba people don't have any brain to do anything on their own, they want all of us to remain in a visionless country called nizooria so that they can continue their generation curse/talent of gossip and backbiting on us.my fellow Biafra's He be like say Hausa/Fulani terrorist tribe and their Yoruba gossipers tribe can't survived without Igbo in their hell fire called nizooria because the way they attack Igbo on Biafra issue is getting out of hand

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Corrinthians(m): 9:23am On Dec 20, 2018
Rotflmao! grin grin
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 20, 2018
I'll translate what he said. He is a trader and that he only sell to buyers who pay in Biafran currency, even with discount. But he will not sell in zoo bloody currency no matter the amount; that you shouldn't bring that nonsense to him. Hahaha

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by gidgiddy: 9:25am On Dec 20, 2018
The disasterous 1914 British colonial project called Nigeria has robbed the Igbo nation of its freedom. But no worries, we Igbo have a saying that "Onye ji mmadu n'ala ji onwe ya"

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 20, 2018
Indigenous:
Fighting for freedom is the work of every Biafra's not only Nnamdi kanu .my fellow Biafra's. if you study Yoruba history very well,you will see this people have already been cursed by their fellow Yoruba who they betray back then.the man placed a curse on the Yoruba race that the only thing they will be good at is gossiping, backbiting, wickedness,evil and many unimaginable things.Yoruba people don't have any brain to do anything on their own, they want all of us to remain in a visionless country called nizooria so that they can continue their generation curse/talent of gossip and backbiting on us.my fellow Biafra's He be like say Hausa/Fulani terrorist tribe and their Yoruba gossipers tribe can't survived without Igbo in their hell fire called nizooria because the way they attack Igbo on Biafra issue is getting out of hand

Be like say you sabi these afonjas well well? I know them like my top lip know my bottom lip. I grew up in SW; they are one of the most wicked people on the face of this earth. To them evil is good and good is evil. They are not different from Hausa-fulani in terms drive and approach to life except Hausa-Fulani is better in being truthful with their intentions. They hide under One Nigeria that favors them and marginalizes Biafrans to mask their weakness and backwardness. They are finished as a people as Biafra nears! Continue to preach!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by horsepower101: 9:36am On Dec 20, 2018
Some Igbo traders have been using Biafran pound amongst themselves for years. At least I remember seeing that back in 1999 in Aba.

Never forget that modern currency is fiat and is only backed by trust.

Anything can be a trading currency as long as the two parties agrees to it and trust in it.

www.igbo-unity.com

1 Like

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by KillTheZombies: 9:49am On Dec 20, 2018
This one go pain dumboharist zombies gan. grin

The naira is worthless, so Biafra pounds is way. Even demented Yoruba mooslim zombies know that the Biafran pounds is in circulation in the ECOWAS region. Go right now to Aflao Ghana border and see Abookis exchanging CFA, Naira, USD for Biafra pounds. Trans-Ecowas traders use Biafran pound and even bribe Beninoise and Togolese policemen with it.

Dumboharist zombies are blind to the truth even when you hit it on their dead skulls like a bag of dangote cement. cheesy

Read this thread, it was first reported by a Yoruba journalist who worked for the Punch newspaper on his findings about Biafran pounds in ECOWAS subregion.

https://www.nairaland.com/2545724/breaking-news-biafran-pound-legal
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by horsepower101: 9:55am On Dec 20, 2018
Article from 2005 proving the use of biafran pound in some west african countries by some traders

I TRADED WITH BIAFRAN POUND JUST
"YESTERDAY".

Biafran pound still being spent ... at
Togo, Benin Republic border towns •. Naira sells for
between N270 - N800 to Biafran £1
***Gbenga Osinaike, just back from Togo and
Ghana

The currency spent in the defunct Republic of
Biafra during the Nigerian civil war (1967-70),
Biafran Pound, has surreptitiously crept into the
currency market, serving as the legal tender in
some communities along the West African coast.
Investigations carried out by Sunday Punch
showed that the money is being spent in the border
town between Togo and Republic of Benin, while
some currency hawkers also exchange it for the
naira and other currencies in the border town
between Ghana and Togo.
One Biafran pound still bears the signature of Dr.
Syvelster Ugo, the then Governor of the Central
Bank of the defunct Biafran Republic and the
picture of a palm tree. Its back has the coat of
arms of the republic with the inscription: “peace,
unity and freedom.”
What is, however, baffling about the currency is
that it has more value than the Nigerian naira and
it is openly accepted as a legal tender in the
affected communities.
When Sunday Punch visited the Ghana and Togo
border town, known as Aflo, some of the money
vendors were eager to sell the currency. They,
however, insisted on selling one Biafran pound at
N800. The scenario at the Togo/Benin Republic
border, known as Helakondi, was different as the
vendors willingly sold one pound for between N200
and N270 to our correspondent. Some food
vendors in Togo were telling passersby that they
were willing to accept Biafran pounds.
In Ghana, the vendors were discreet about the
trade. One of them, who identified himself simply
as Tony, told our correspondent that the money
was not accepted as a legal tender in Ghana, but
that Ghana was a transit route for the currency.
He said: "We get the money from s! ome Igbo
people in Nigeria. They bring it here for us and we
cherish it so much.
“That is why the value is higher than the Nigerian
naira. This is the money that is being spent by
some Igbo communities in Ivory Coast. Many of
them are travellers. On their way to other parts of
West Africa, they stop by and exchange the
currency for the naira with them. They are the only
people who buy the money from us."
Tony, who said he had lived in Ghana for about 15
years, told us that some of the notes were just
printed. "I think the Igbo are trying to make a
statement with the money. It may surprise you
that some of the people, who have the money, are
not willing to sell it because they are looking
forward to a time when the Biafran Republic will
come to stay."
While displaying some ignorance about the defunct
Biafran Republic, he said: "I know they are about
to create a Biafran Republic. I know it will not be
long from now. We are all waiting to see the
Republic."
Another vendor, A Ghanaian, who identified himself
as Albert Leigh, said the Biafran pound was
brought by one Igbo man called Emeka. He said:
"It is one Igbo man that brings the money here.
Whenever he is travelling, he stops by and hands
over the money to money changers. I was
fortunate to be around the last time he came and
also got my share. What surprises me is that many
of the Igbo travellers come to ask of it. I had about
500 pounds with me. I have exchanged everything
for naira. I'm now left with one pound. That is the
extent the trade has gone."
While disclosing that the Igbo trader brings the
money from Lagos, he expressed regrets that he
did not have enough to sell to this reporter.
Leigh, however, refused to disclose the cost of
procuring the Biafran pound.
On Thursday morning when our reporter visited the
Togo/Benin border, the trade in the Biafran
currency was still going on.The vendors of the
money were, however, agitated when o! ur
correspondent made effort to inquire how they got
the money.
One of the vendors, who identified himself simply
as Isa, a Malian, told Sunday Punch that he got
the money from some Nigerians, who pass through
the border.
The following coversation took place between him
and our reporter:
How are you, sir?
I’m fine. I get cefas, naira and pounds, which
money you want?
I want Biafran pounds. Do you have it?
Yes, I get Biafran pound. It is 270 naira for one
pound.
You get plenty of the biafran pounds? I wan buy
plenty.
Sorry. I no get plenty. The man wen dey bring am
never come for a long time now.
Where you dey get the money?
Why you dey ask? You wan to buy now?
If I no wan buy, I no go come here?
As I dey look you, you know be like person who
wan buy.
I wan buym true, true. I just wan to know the
source of the money.
I no know. No bi Nigerian mo! ney. I no understand
you self. Why all these questions?
At that point, the man became agitated and
aggressive. He said: "Oya comot here! I go call
police. Comot!"
He pushed the reporter away and wanted to create
a scene before the reporter quietly left the spot for
fear of being molested.
A Nigerian resident at the border warned this
reporter not to disclose his identity, noting that
they could take him for a spy. "Since the political
crisis in the country, they have been sceptical
about Nigerians. So, don't ever try telling them you
are a journalist. Don't ever identify yourself to any
of them, they could lynch you. Those of us here
have been able to get along with them because we
can speak the Togolese language.
“The Malians have also been able to get along
with them because they are the ones that you see
in this currency business. There are some Igbo too,
but they are very few compared to the Malians," he
said.
Efforts to ascertain the ! level of the acceptability
of the currency yielded little fruits. This reporter
was able to buy a CD cassette from one of the
hawkers around the border with one biafran pound,
which he had exchanged for naira. He was also
able to exchange another 500 pounds for N250 per
pound from another hawker of the money.
There are indications that those who trade in the
money don't know the implication of doing so.
One of them told Sunday Punch that the money is
a Nigerian money. "It is a Nigerian money. That is
why I believe in the money. Nigerians brought the
money here," he said.
Investigations carried out by our correspondent
revealed that the money found its way to the West
Coast during the political crisis in Togo. A resident,
who pleaded anonymity, told Sunday Punch that
he was not aware of the money, but noted that the
money was probably introduced during the Igbo
Day last year in Togo.
"During the Igbo Day, the Igbo came out with a
publication known as Biafran Newspaper. Many of
the Igbo resident in Togo bought the newspaper. =

=== Culled from Sunday Punch of June 05,

1 Like

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by speedyconnect3: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2018
Nawao.

This is serious
* Sell your airtime to us and make cash

Also see below for data bonanza.

Just click the details and over 734 testimonies below.

Ala igbo amaala mma.
Nwa otu Onicha and nwa 042 na ekene unu!

Daalu
Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by frankdoz22: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
Biafra pounds is a legal tender in west African states like Benin, Ghana, Togo, and central Gabon. I BP= $450. Biafra is a super rich nation.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Begins "Practical" Use Of "Biafra Pounds" To Trade In Enugu (WATCH VIDEO) by techking: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2018
Lolll grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Is The US Not Telling Us? / UK statement on re-election of President Buhari in Nigeria / Guber Poll: Why Gov. Wike Is Begging Buhari To Join APC – Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.