Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? (49475 Views)

Beautiful Picture Of Cotonou. When Will Nigeria Be Like Cotonou? / M.M. International Airport, Can't Nigeria Do Better? / Will Lagos Ever Be Like Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by ikeyman00(m): 6:28am On Apr 29, 2009
@@@ post

i think there is difference from some one that reside in ghana to one that paste pocket of pics from his base oversea!!

i always say there are nigeria esply yorubas and igbos that will tell u they are nigerians but brought up in ghana, they should never be trusted!!

i think there is one here
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by blackspade(m): 10:01am On Apr 29, 2009
ikeyman00:

@@@ post

i think there is difference from some one that reside in ghana to one that paste pocket of pics from his base oversea!!
LOL, are you suggesting that just because you hear one account from one person it's automatically true? If so then boy are you daft. . . .

. . . . .as I said before, the pictures I posted weren't intended to draw a comparison between Nigeria and Ghana, they were posted for those people who say they have never seen Ghana (I think you were one of them).

ikeyman00:
i always say there are nigeria esply yorubas and igbos that will tell u they are nigerians but brought up in ghana, they should never be trusted!!

i think there is one here
Sometimes it's kind of difficult to understand what you're trying to say in your posts. . . . .

. . . . .this is one of those times.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 29, 2009
Nigeria has one thing to learn - acceptance.

Untill we accept Nigeria is a failed nation, we'll never improve, always in denial.
It's like an alcoholic saying they don't have a drink problem - untill they accept they do, all the best medical care in the world won't cure them, they first have to accept they're addicts!

We also need to change our culture of heaping verbal abuse on anyone that shares a different opinion to ours, or those that point out ills in Nigeria that even the least intelligent of people could spot.

We can't keep on justifying Nigeria's failures on size of the country, different ethnic groups, religions etc. These factors are here to stay - we can't make Nigeria smaller, neither can we cut down on the number of ethnic groups, they're here to stay, so we need to make the best of things! And stop using things that are inherent to Nigeria, and can't be changed, as an excuse!

Going through replies on here, it's full of verbal abuse. Aren't we intelligent enough to get our points across without resorting to insults?
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by ikeyman00(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2009
Sometimes it's kind of difficult to understand what you're trying to say in your posts. . . . .

blackspade

i think emm until u desist from wearin dark spade at nite then u will be in the position of assimilating good grammar!! its not rocket science for u to figure out that u need night vision lens!

U cannot tell an adult how to use a spoon
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by londoner: 11:03am On Apr 29, 2009
@ Blackspade, There is a difference between an excuse and an actual reason. When you are going to compare two countries and say why cant one be like another, you should be prepared for it to go under closer scrutiny. It was you who sited religious tension and tribal unrest in the first place, noone else. Its not enough to say something is relevant only when you want to use it as evidence of your view, then dismiss it as irrelevant when it is questioned further.

To be honest I hear some Ghanaians complaining of some of the same things that Nigerian complain about in Nigeria.
I think most people dont actually know some of the things that are actually going on in ghana apart from the good. How can these people then give a truely balanced analysis I wonder.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by kabna(m): 1:56pm On Apr 29, 2009
eh here we go again wiv a ghana and nigeria comparisms.

well nigerians or perharps most nigerians need to know that there is little to choose between nigeria and ghana.

hey thare are slums every where even in america may be not canada. however the slums in the west are relatively better than the slums in africa ( even our most developed south africa).

its is ur empty pride ( some nigerians) that blinds u to acknowledging good things let alone seeing good surrounded by bad as the case is in both nigeria and ghana.

i can go on and on but the bottom line is there is little to choose betwen ghana and nigeria
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Kermitt: 3:41am On Apr 30, 2009
Ghana is the shit. I love 9ja but there's something about Ghana, and I think it's the ease of life. It's not about the number of fancy buildings or construction projects. If it were, Nigeria would win every time. Don't get me wrong, Ghananians have problems just like every other africans and can be down right devious just like us. Its just that their society and governance works better.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tpiah: 3:46am On Apr 30, 2009
Ghana, Angola, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda etc

Is there any place Nigerians dont consider better than Nigeria?
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tpiah: 3:56am On Apr 30, 2009
this is a very interesting assertion

Nigeria was created by the British to 'fail', if it wasn't, why combine so many major different ethnic groups into one country.

pre 1914 or pre Berlin Conference

to the left of the British territory:  French/German holdings and allegiance

To the right: German/French holdings and allegiance.

North: French and francophone

South: atlantic ocean

what were they supposed to do? All the land in between had been captured or subdued by the British.

Partition the regions and give them over to the French and Germans to handle?

and no need to start sobbing over the loss of indigenous sovereignty in tribal strongholds plz. Lets study the cold facts!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by gentle(m): 12:37am On May 18, 2009
See as u dey talk about ghana like say we never reach there before. Naija can't be like ghana because naija is better than ghana. D.N.N (Dis Na Naija)
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Ifygurl: 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2009
All i know is. I've been to both Ghana and Nigeria. I don't see that much of a difference especially when it comes to slums but what's new. Abi, Some Nigerians think Mali is better than Nigeria. some Nigerians think nigeria is a fourth world country. So not suprise.

@ poster, there isn't any different between Nigeria and Ghana, hell the person that posted the pics. You know that's stupidity right? I can easily start posting pictures from Virgin Island in Lagos and claim that's how all Nigeria looks like. Hell the video in youtube about African you don't see in TV, most of the pics were from Lagos and Abuja. Is that how the whole Lagos and Abuja looks like?
Some people in this world. anyway, really don't understand the praise (i mean i hear them complaining about their country just like we do. I visited, liked what i saw, thought it was beautiful but wasn't that different from Nigeria). So i don't understand the praise.
Hell, Accra is their capital. Abuja is ours. abuja is better than Accra, i guess Ghanaian should start saying "why can't Ghana be like Nigeria". It's studity, comparing how an entire country looks with a picture of one side in their main city. Wow, Nigerians, wow.
Well Nigeria can never be like Ghana cause we are not them, and they ain't us.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Ifygurl: 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2009
tpiah:

Ghana, Angola, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda etc

Is there any place Nigerians dont consider better than Nigeria?

Abi oooh,   grin grin grin.  you missing some

I've heard Nigerians claim, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Mali, Congo, Gabon, Guinea, Niger, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast is better than Nigeria.  Hell i bet you more African nation will be added soon.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by yommyuk: 6:37am On Jun 06, 2009
What of Kingston ghetto in JAMACIA grin
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by immadosumn: 6:53pm On Jul 18, 2009
Sadly, Nigeria from its conception remains an anomaly. It was conceived as an afterthought, built solely for the economic reality of the day as it relates to the colonizing Brits and their tainted enterprise. Just a brief recap - Lord Lugard (Lord? why?) amalgamated the north and south protectorates in 1914, our fate was sealed sad.

Think about it for a sec,  The Brits needed to overcome their bureaucratic bottlenecks of doing commerce between both independent protectorates, with the groundnuts and other grains from Sokoto having easy access to the ports in Lagos Colony being at the forefront of the decision to build the first rail line via Ogbomosho to the Lagos. Hence this humongous entity was created.

There's no way in hell you could have expected much from an infant country of mostly Africans that were recently introduced to a foreign type of governance ala western democracy in 1960, and teaming with a population running into scores of millions right out of the gate and yet saddled with centuries old ethnic strife and nepotism. Those devious Brits knew this fact and yet, gladly and callously, created Nigeria to fail.

Take the corruption, our dopey elite class and the virtual lack of the rule of law out of the equation and you are still left with an anomaly, sadly. Nigeria is a tainted child from birth and sadly, will have to be destroyed first before she can even have a remote chance at life as most of us that have been privileged to see the world outside Nigeria, have come to know.

I love Nigeria, will always do, but the first opportunity I had, I got rid of that tainted green passport and I thank God I never subjected my kids to being saddled with them either. Until we have the guts to take back the place, destroy it and rebuild it again, in small, functioning wholes, then I'm sorry, everything else is beside the point.

Sorry I digressed from the topic,  just couldn't resist.

In line with my same argument above, the Ghanaians were saddled with a much lighter burden from the start, hence their being able to get it together, quicker and more efficiently that we can ever aspire to. Their yoke is lighter and hence their chances of succeeding, much higher. I'm not at all surprised by their rapid growth and success. I wish them only the best. I also wish, we could take Nigeria back from the neocolonialist multinational firms doing business in Nigeria, alongside our own preppy-dopey elites and ruling class, break it down in small bits that are manageable according to our ability and get it working for us all. Just a wish.

My 2c.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by sasuos(m): 11:58pm On Sep 09, 2009
Look ooooooooooooooooo, abi they have done it again by being the first african country to qualify for the world cup.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by babyme(f): 5:05am On Sep 10, 2009
yeah yeah watever wee cant be like ghanian becos were nigerians we dont BEE like anyone else, we BE us, get it, were original, yeah ghanians have constant power?, yeah them, we have generators if u cant buy hard luck, they speak "right" english , oh really well we will appreciate it if u dont try copying our broken english and pretending the whooooleee west african speak, if they do they copied, yeah n make ure own movies!!! better still dont make ure own movies, u kinda suck, so @ poster WE CANT BE LIKE GHANA BECOS THEYRE BUSY TRYING TO BE LIKE US, SO WE SMART NIGERIAN KNOW SOONER OR L8R WE'LL BE THESAME JUST IT WONT BE US DOING THE COPYING B***H
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by nezerst(f): 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2009
@ POSTER
U R VERY SILLY
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by sasuos(m): 1:55pm On Sep 11, 2009
very silly.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by babyme(f): 7:29pm On Sep 11, 2009
very very silly!! grin
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by morpheus24: 7:47pm On Sep 11, 2009
@ poster

CAUSE IT CAN"T.

NOW WHAT!!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by rubi(f): 8:26pm On Sep 12, 2009
I have not been to ghana before but I think ghana is not over populated like 9ja that is why it can be managed very well upon they have constant light, good road still they anticipate to be like nigerians.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by yommyuk: 1:59am On Sep 13, 2009
I have not been to ghana before but I think ghana is not over populated like 9ja that is why it can be managed very well as I they have constant light, good road still they anticipate to be like nigerians.

As long as We still have the ITTs in Govt, 9ija will always be 9ija.
Basically, We are too good for our own good. If you know what I mean. undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Busybody2(f): 11:06pm On Sep 17, 2009
Why do people think they have constant light in Ghana, yes it is not as erratic as the power supply in Nigeria, but there are times in Ghana too when they don't have light for weeks at a stretch undecided

And as for the road users, chei, I thought drivers in Nigerians were maniacs lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tundejayz: 11:21pm On Sep 17, 2009
dont talk about ghana,light is a veryslighest issue to sort out in naija here ,we know what to do,our leaders are not doing it ,one day some one will,nepa/phcn is a child plays in naija few billions will fix that problem,but for now they are busy packing the trillions into their account,God will touch just one of them and our nepa issue go get head ,solution , see ur brother fashola fixing roads,forcin things to get head for naija,if he had the power he would have fixed light issue ,naija na the place ,even south africa sef get as he be,all my guys wey dey for south africa,don run back naija ,why, God help us. AMEN
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Busybody2(f): 11:45pm On Sep 17, 2009
tundejayz:

dont talk about ghana,light is a veryslighest issue to sort out in naija here ,we know what to do,our leaders are not doing it ,one day some one will,nepa/phcn is a child plays in naija few billions will fix that problem,but for now they are busy packing the trillions into their account,God will touch just one of them and our nepa issue go get head ,solution , see your brother fashola fixing roads,forcin things to get head for naija,if he had the power he would have fixed light issue ,naija na the place ,even south africa sef get as he be,all my guys wey dey for south africa,don run back naija ,why, God help us. AMEN

Amen oh my Brother, God will see us through sad sad sad

immadosumn:

Sadly, Nigeria from its conception remains an anomaly. It was conceived as an afterthought, built solely for the economic reality of the day as it relates to the colonizing Brits and their tainted enterprise. Just a brief recap - Lord Lugard (Lord? why?) amalgamated the north and south protectorates in 1914, our fate was sealed sad.

Think about it for a sec,  The Brits needed to overcome their bureaucratic bottlenecks of doing commerce between both independent protectorates, with the groundnuts and other grains from Sokoto having easy access to the ports in Lagos Colony being at the forefront of the decision to build the first rail line via Ogbomosho to the Lagos. Hence this humongous entity was created.

There's no way in hell you could have expected much from an infant country of mostly Africans that were recently introduced to a foreign type of governance ala western democracy in 1960, and teaming with a population running into scores of millions right out of the gate and yet saddled with centuries old ethnic strife and nepotism. Those devious Brits knew this fact and yet, gladly and callously, created Nigeria to fail.

Take the corruption, our dopey elite class and the virtual lack of the rule of law out of the equation and you are still left with an anomaly, sadly. Nigeria is a tainted child from birth and sadly, will have to be destroyed first before she can even have a remote chance at life as most of us that have been privileged to see the world outside Nigeria, have come to know.

I love Nigeria, will always do, but the first opportunity I had, I got rid of that tainted green passport and I thank God I never subjected my kids to being saddled with them either. Until we have the guts to take back the place, destroy it and rebuild it again, in small, functioning wholes, then I'm sorry, everything else is beside the point.

Sorry I digressed from the topic,  just couldn't resist.

In line with my same argument above, the Ghanaians were saddled with a much lighter burden from the start, hence their being able to get it together, quicker and more efficiently that we can ever aspire to. Their yoke is lighter and hence their chances of succeeding, much higher. I'm not at all surprised by their rapid growth and success. I wish them only the best. I also wish, we could take Nigeria back from the neocolonialist multinational firms doing business in Nigeria, alongside our own preppy-dopey elites and ruling class, break it down in small bits that are manageable according to our ability and get it working for us all. Just a wish.

My 2c.

Hmmn, deep and thought-provoking cool I only hope we find a solution to the many issues plaguing us before the WEST comes along with their AFRICOM shite to smash us up and break our resolves cry cry cry
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Solozzo(m): 1:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
On first reading your post, I thought bloody racist Nigerians. But on deeply contemplating the issue of doubting your Nationality of being a Nigerian I concluded that the main reason was that they just could not contemplate any foreigner let alone a white man with all opportunities abroad would prefer to be proud of Naija and live in Nigeria.

He must be a secret agent they must have thought! No way why would he want to suffer in this Godforsaken country even if he was born here and lived here in good times, he should have run away since.

I thank you and praise u for your love of naija and Africa and a good example to all of us.

The reason why we cannot be like Ghana is simply corruption and the inefficiency and cruelty it engenders. Full stop.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Solozzo(m): 2:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
RACIST QUOTE FROM FREEWILLY
I'm not racist, it just sounds to me you just a kiss a** typical Nigerian. sorry sis don't care what you have to say the white boy is not Nigerian and never will he be one. Don't care if he was born there or has a Nigerian passport. And thats all I have to say about this so you all can kiss my natural black a**.

MY QUOTE
@Freewilly

Shame on you Freewilly to be so naive, ignorant and a racist. I note you set location as USA. May you get the worst treatment at the hands of the Americans on the basis of your race and be repatriated poor and dejected for your ignorance and racist attitude. The president of the country you live is an American but he is a black man and proud to be so. You are discriminatory and so unenlightened

it is because people like you are ruling Zimbabwe today that is why Zimbabweans are seeing hellfire and roaming the world in poverty and shame
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Solozzo(m): 3:36pm On Mar 12, 2011
@londoner
Thanks for your comments

The most objective comparison between nigeria an dghana would be in terms of demographics and economic indices in things like ;

per capita income, employment rate; population density; level of education; political stability; housing issues; social welfare support systems, medical care that is affordable and universal with medicare and natinal health services, how we care for our disabed and mentally ill people, maternal and child health indices, justice and morals, releigous and tribal tolerance; population distribution. Even things like number of cars per person, number of TVs person population; availability of power supply and justice system; international corruption level ratings and so on.

Let us do more research in these areas before we can debate anything yet

But we know from experiences of people who have been to both and lived in both countries that Ghana had made tremendous improvement in many areas but Nigeria seems stuck and the new democracy has created more wealth for nigerians but proportionally lesser peace and stability and less standard of living and comfort. What is the use having more more money when u are unable to have regular energy supply. more traffic jams, higher unemploymemnt rate and more crime level. I guess these are the key issues many of the posters here are talking about

It is time for nigeria to use this new economic boom to begin development but bearing in mind modern economic idelogy of providing sustainable renewable energy that is involve reuse, recycle and encourage and provide a nurturing place for biodiversity
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by marcus1234: 3:55pm On Mar 12, 2011
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by collinsfbi(m): 1:26pm On Mar 18, 2011
Nigeria has one thing to learn - acceptance.

Untill we accept Nigeria is a failed nation, we'll never improve, always in denial.
Nice comment from a reasonable brain.

I am a Nigerian and I have been to Ghana B4, precisely in September 2007. I was there in Accra for two weeks and within these two weeks, I was able to visit a lot of places in Ghana which include Port of no return (port used during slavery) Independent square, katoka Int'l Airport, University of Legon, different beaches and shopping malls and a museum which I could not remember their names.

First and foremost, naija is a better place same as Ghana but the way Ghana developed in a geometric proportion since 2007 up till date is a good example in which Nigeria government can imitate. Nigeria is bigger in size, enormous in population (154,728,892) and greatly developed in crimes channeled by our parents who make it hard to develop Nigeria compare to the small size of Ghana in geographical estimation and population (24,339,838). It's a general bliv that nation’s capitals are exceptionally beautiful in structures and diverse social amenities. Abuja, Nigeria is nice so also Accra Ghana is wonderful but Accra is a wonderful place to live compare to Abuja. 24/7 electricity supply, road network is awesome, citizens are law abiding, low crime rate, high security and less corruption compare to Nigeria frustrating power supply, lack good road network, citizens are above d law, high crime rate at home and abroad, lack of security and corruption everywhere. These are the reasons why you see many Nigerians leaving Abuja, Nigeria for Accra, Ghana.

In Nigeria for instance, we have everything it takes to develop the country but corruption will never allow it. Let's take for example in Jan. 29 2007, Nigeria agreed to supply Ghana 80megawatts of electricity which increased Ghana power supply whereas the Federal capital alone did not enjoy stable power supply. Abuja road network is a little better, come to Lagos and enjoy everyday 10 hours stable traffic jam or travel to south west, East or North through Ore-express way and enjoy 24/7 road blocks by policemen and robbers who extort pple in cash and kind through rape and gunshot. The [size=20pt]picture[/size] below is an example of a situation in Nigeria Lagos-Ore Express way in which women without cash were raped while men without money and women who refused rape were asked to lie down while the driver of the heavy bus was asked to drive over them all at gun point.

Talking about currency, I think Ghana cedi is far better now compared to our Naira. The present cedi was introduced on July 3, 2007, and was equal to 10,000 old cedi when redenomination saw four zeros lopped off the value. Old Ghana cedi code is GHC while the new Ghana cedi code is GHS, the old GHC has an exchange of 1USD to 15,210GHC but at present, 1US Dollar = 1.54567 Ghanaian New Cedi which means 1GHS is higher in value than 1USD, if u think am wrong then find out the current exchange rate for the new GHS to USD.

It's my bliv that Nigeria will be better but I don't think betterment will come soon because those that Nigeria needs for change have all ran for safety in diaspora. Home will always be home no matter the period of time spent abroad and if we do not fight for freedom now, nobody will fight for us. Let us stop making a comparism, let’s come together to find solution to naija upheavals.

Gbammmmmm over and out.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by RSA(m): 4:27pm On Mar 18, 2011
^^When did this incident happened? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lagos Blue Line Trains On Their Way From China (Photos & Video). / Nigerians In UAE Say They Are Being Forced To Leave Today / Photo Of The Bus Driver Involved In Fatal Accident That Killed 8 Edo Indigenes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.