Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week (2652 Views)

Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet, May Sack Diezani, Others / Jonathan To Drop Maku, 3 Others In Cabinet Reshuffle / Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Beaf: 3:54am On Aug 05, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan to reshuffle cabinet next week [/size]
Elizabeth Archibong and Emmanuel Ogala
August 5, 2010 03:37AM

The plot of the nation's political drama thickens as President Goodluck Jonathan plans to reshuffle his cabinet next week, said sources privy to the decision.

As politicians in the last few weeks focused on zoning and its attendant problems or benefits, Mr. Jonathan, who political watchers say never ceases to surprise, was doggedly entrenching his hold on the nation's polity.

A few days back, he forwarded the names of three nominees to the Senate for approval as new ministers. It was not immediately clear, however, who the new people will replace. The Senate has acknowledged the receipt of the nominees and decided to reconvene Tuesday next week to screen, and possibly confirm them.

Although the Senate would not reveal the identities of the nominees, it was confirmed that the candidates, two men, and a woman, are from Yobe, Delta, and Borno states. A source further confirmed that one of them is a member of an opposition party, the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).

Curiously, Mr. Jonathan's action is coming nine months to the end of his administration and he still refuses to confirm if he will be contesting in next year's presidential election or not. Former president Olusegun Obasanjo also effected such a cabinet reshuffle towards the end of his second term in 2006 when he re-assigned Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala from ministry of finance to foreign affairs.

The usual suspects

Sources confirmed that the proposed changes will most likely affect the finance minister, Olusegun Aganga and the minister of state for finance, Remi Babalola. It was unclear if Mr Babalola's statement last month that the state oil company, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) was broke led to his been considered for possible removal. Mr. Babalola had told a group of journalists during a workshop on "Understanding the operations of the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria" organised by the NNPC for members of the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC), that the only reason the corporation has not paid the ₦450 billion debt owed to the federal government was "its cash flow problem." He reportedly lost favour with Mr. Jonathan after that statement.

At the federal executive council meeting that took place after Mr. Babalola's comment, the council denied, through Dora Akunyili, the Information minister, that NNPC was insolvent.

"NNPC, from the auditor's account, is a going concern, and does not have solvency issue as a corporation. Therefore, categorically, NNPC is not insolvent," Mrs. Akunyili said.

She added that there will always be an outstanding balance between the federal government and the oil giant because of the regular transactions between them.

One of the nominees is supposed to fill the vacancy in the power ministry which had no substantive minister, apart from the junior minister. The others are expected to fill the junior minister positions in the petroleum and foreign affairs ministries.

Although the cabinet reshuffle was not mentioned during the briefing that followed the federal executive council meeting yesterday, the Presidency is said to be awaiting the senate's endorsement of the nominees whose names are currently en route to the national assembly.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5602996-146/jonathan_to_reshuffle_cabinet_next_week.csp
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by chyz(m): 4:32am On Aug 05, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Jonathan to reshuffle cabinet next week [/size]
Elizabeth Archibong and Emmanuel Ogala
August 5, 2010 03:37AM

The plot of the nation's political drama thickens as President Goodluck Jonathan plans to reshuffle his cabinet next week, said sources privy to the decision.

As politicians in the last few weeks focused on zoning and its attendant problems or benefits, Mr. Jonathan, who political watchers say never ceases to surprise, was doggedly entrenching his hold on the nation's polity.

A few days back, he forwarded the names of three nominees to the Senate for approval as new ministers. It was not immediately clear, however, who the new people will replace. The Senate has acknowledged the receipt of the nominees and decided to reconvene Tuesday next week to screen, and possibly confirm them.

Although the Senate would not reveal the identities of the nominees, it was confirmed that the candidates, two men, and a woman, are from Yobe, Delta, and Borno states. A source further confirmed that one of them is a member of an opposition party, the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).

Curiously, Mr. Jonathan's action is coming nine months to the end of his administration and he still refuses to confirm if he will be contesting in next year's presidential election or not. Former president Olusegun Obasanjo also effected such a cabinet reshuffle towards the end of his second term in 2006 when he re-assigned Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala from ministry of finance to foreign affairs.

The usual suspects

Sources confirmed that the proposed changes will most likely affect the finance minister, Olusegun Aganga and the minister of state for finance, Remi Babalola. It was unclear if Mr Babalola's statement last month that the state oil company, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) was broke led to his been considered for possible removal. Mr. Babalola had told a group of journalists during a workshop on "Understanding the operations of the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria" organised by the NNPC for members of the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC), that the only reason the corporation has not paid the ₦450 billion debt owed to the federal government was "its cash flow problem." He reportedly lost favour with Mr. Jonathan after that statement.

At the federal executive council meeting that took place after Mr. Babalola's comment, the council denied, through Dora Akunyili, the Information minister, that NNPC was insolvent.

"NNPC, from the auditor's account, is a going concern, and does not have solvency issue as a corporation. Therefore, categorically, NNPC is not insolvent," Mrs. Akunyili said.

She added that there will always be an outstanding balance between the federal government and the oil giant because of the regular transactions between them.

One of the nominees is supposed to fill the vacancy in the power ministry which had no substantive minister, apart from the junior minister. The others are expected to fill the junior minister positions in the petroleum and foreign affairs ministries.

Although the cabinet reshuffle was not mentioned during the briefing that followed the federal executive council meeting yesterday, the Presidency is said to be awaiting the senate's endorsement of the nominees whose names are currently en route to the national assembly.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5602996-146/jonathan_to_reshuffle_cabinet_next_week.csp

I said it before GJ favors northerners. He gives every position that commands great power in change to northerners. And now he may get rid of Aganga and Babalola because they are truthful people. I guess the northerners must be in the moves the making GJ an Emir or something. grin
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nobody: 4:34am On Aug 05, 2010
chyz:

I said it before GJ favors northerners. He gives every position that commands great power in change to northerners. And now he may get rid of Aganga and Babalola because they are truthful people. I guess the northerners must be in the moves the making GJ an Emir or something. grin

Did she actually type those words?
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nchara: 4:39am On Aug 05, 2010
chyz:

What makes Aganga and Babalola (or any other of those politicians/appointees) truthful? We ascribe too much to them. Gullible Nigerians. I am sure some of them are already helping themselves to our collective heritage. Na 2 day?
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Kobojunkie: 4:41am On Aug 05, 2010
It was unclear if Mr Babalola's statement last month that the state oil company, Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) was broke led to his been considered for possible removal. Mr. Babalola had told a group of journalists during a workshop on "Understanding the operations of the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria" organised by the NNPC for members of the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC), that the only reason the corporation has not paid the ₦450 billion debt owed to the federal government was "its cash flow problem." He reportedly lost favour with Mr. Jonathan after that statement.

At the federal executive council meeting that took place after Mr. Babalola's comment, the council denied, through Dora Akunyili, the Information minister, that NNPC was insolvent"NNPC, from the auditor's account, is a going concern, and does not have solvency issue as a corporation. Therefore, categorically, NNPC is not insolvent," Mrs. Akunyili said.

This lady just keeps em coming. . . . lol

Finally, we get a minister of power . . .
The others are expected to fill the junior minister positions in the petroleum and foreign affairs ministries.

If they are to fill Junior positions, how exactly will Babalola and Aganga be affected?
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by chyz(m): 4:45am On Aug 05, 2010
Nchara:

What makes Aganga and Babalola (or any other of those politicians/appointees) truthful? We ascribe too much to them. Gullible Nigerians. I am sure some of them are already helping themselves to our collective heritage. Na 2 day?

Olusegun Aganga just entered that position, if im not mistaken and he's been doing a pretty darn good job. Babalola is being considered for being sacked just because he said the NNPC was broke. Im sorry but if they are broke then they are broke dont ridicule the man because he was telling the truth, instead help fix the problem!
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Kobojunkie: 4:47am On Aug 05, 2010
Are they really being sacked?
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by chyz(m): 4:51am On Aug 05, 2010
^^^Thats what its looking like. this is nigeria.u shouldnt be shocked.anything goes.   wink
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Eddeux(m): 5:03am On Aug 05, 2010
Wasn't Aganga working for Goldman Sachs in the UK before taking the job? And he's gonna get sacked?  shocked
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Kobojunkie: 5:04am On Aug 05, 2010
I hope he is not going to be sacked. I highly doubt it.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by OAM4J: 5:32am On Aug 05, 2010
it's all speculations.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by MaziUche0(m): 5:35am On Aug 05, 2010
Eddeux:

Wasn't Aganga working for Goldman Sachs in the UK before taking the job? And he's gonna get sacked?  shocked

That would be horrible!
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by chosen04(f): 8:53am On Aug 05, 2010
OAM4J:

it's all speculations.

Any smoke without fire
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Kx: 8:58am On Aug 05, 2010
Ministerial appointment in Nigeria is the only known job without JD, no appraisal, nothing.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 05, 2010
when will verbal diahreaa akunyuli be shown the door ?
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by xterra2(m): 11:06am On Aug 05, 2010
chyz:

To please the northereners dont forget CURRENTLY zoning is still active we did not hear PDP nec discarding it
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Bendazi: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2010
That is simply wat it means to b in charge!
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by seanet02: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2010
oyb:

when will verbal diahreaa akunyuli be shown the door ?
its incredible you can say this with all what she did for this country
seems you are from SAHARA DESERT
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2010
If you like appoint Ben Bernanke or Mervin King as Finance Minister. If there is no political will to achieve result at the top of leadership nothing will be achieved.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Gbawe: 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2010
mikeansy:

If you like appoint Ben Bernanke or Mervin King as Finance Minister. If there is no political will to achieve result at the top of leadership nothing will be achieved.

My bro , if Aganga is removed it will not be because he has not performed well because , relatively , he has done OK while Jonathan and most of his Ministerial appointment have performed below par. If Aganga goes it will be that , Like Okonjo-Iweala under OBJ, his removal is needed to pave the way for someone more 'suitably disposed' to the grand looting required to achieve 'project Jonathan'. Jonathan is not currently interested in performance. That much is clear with the likes of Aondoakaa actually working for him rather than facing stiff punishment. Aganga's removal , if it happens , will (like Ogbulafors removal) pave the way for someone more 'useful' (like Nwodo).

I can see , daily , that Jonathan plans to win using OBJ's "do or die" template. He will realise he is not a consumate bully , like OBJ, who can cower everyone.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Beaf: 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2010
Its more likely Aganga will be given more power, especially after the gaff by one of his junior ministers.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by chelseabmw(m): 6:52pm On Aug 05, 2010
cry cry
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Obinoscopy(m): 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2010
GEJ is nothing but a bloody politician! angry angry
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Parnassuss(m): 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2010
I don't think Aganga or Babalola will be affected, or rather i hope they don't get fired. I mean I listened to the man (Babalola) speak and even when it was about the NNPC, he gave great stats that supported his arguments, he was even the only govt official who conceeded that 'truth'. Anywho, Jonathan has done lil dat I can fault politically, i hope he doesn't start now.
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 05, 2010
seanet02:

can you please remind me what good she has done for this country

Remi Babalola is a man of integrity, if he says that NNPc is INSOLVENT, then it is! It would be a shame on GEJ if Babalola and Aganga are given the boot!
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by SSaemoenl(m): 10:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
Undemocratic and visionless leaders and cabinets  grin cry Everyday preaching in Facebook trying to wow people supports. tongue
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 05, 2010
seanet02:

can you please remind me what good she has done for this country

Remi Babalola is a man of integrity, if he says that NNPc is INSOLVENT, then it is! It would be a shame on GEJ if Babalola and Aganga are given the boot!
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Nuriel22: 6:26am On Aug 06, 2010
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by truly: 4:15pm On Aug 06, 2010
Beaf:

Its more likely Aganga will be given more power, especially after the gaff by one of his junior ministers.
There was no gaffe by the minister
Go and read up on this matter
NNPC GMD, Oniwon, WROTE to FAAC that NNPC was insolvent
Babalola simply read that letter

maybe writing it is not a crime, but reading it aloud is
Aganga has only one junior minster BTW
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by truly: 4:21pm On Aug 06, 2010
seanet02:

What did she do for this country?
like browbeating Ayoka to come out of hiding to announce the result of the Ekiti rerun election in favour of PDP
or telling us that without the OB equipment, FIFA would not allow us to host the U-17 competition
Anyway she got her contract from the NASS
But months after the competition, no OB equipment

I never saw Dora speaking out the truth passionately to Yaradua when the gentleman was firmly in power, sick or not
or BTW any president
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by Akosbaba(m): 2:58am On Aug 09, 2010
It's the nominees turn for a share of the national cake
Re: Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week by eewule(m): 11:24am On Aug 11, 2010
All he has done since he entered office is reshuffle cabinets and replace chairmen and appoint new legislator etc. If only there were better candidates for 2011 Jonathan would have lost my vote. He needs to stop attending functions to commision of poorly built roads in states and start attending to the thing he promised to take care of, starting with Power supply.

(1) (Reply)

The Nuisance Called Fstranger / I Dey Laugh O - Tinubu / Minister's Wife In N3.2 Billion Contract Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.