Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything (18952 Views)

How To Begin A Career In Cybersecurity Without Previous Knowledge / Free Cybersecurity Course Worth N240,000 offered by ICSI UK / CyberSecurity: GRC, CYSA+, AWS, CCSK, CCSP, CISSP, CISA, CRISC, CISM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by adubam(m): 10:12pm On Dec 31, 2018
Hello. I am a Chartered Accountant but I love IT skills and I have certification from NIIT in CCNA. I am currently study Html java css. I have come across many cyber security on Udemy.com. Please which will you recommend for a beginner? Thanks.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Wonderz1: 4:48pm On Jan 01, 2019
Ayodejioak:

If I get a Naira everytime someone asks me this question, I'll be friends with the Joneses by now.

Not all cybersecurity professionals have or need coding skills. But without some knowledge of at least one language, you may find your path forward somewhat limited.

As a cyber security expert, you also get to do code review for applications, you want to be familiar with what inputs are being called, if there are any sort of malicious injection within every line of code and 'the only way to find what you're looking for is to know what to look for' - Ayodejioak.

I can bet you need at least some beginner or intermediate level of programming in the following languages in your Cyber Security Career:
Python, JavaScript, HTML, C, C++, Assembly, PHP

It's also cool to mention how getting the syntax of any programming language is the fastest approach towards learning them.
If you're scared of starting, start with HTML. If you have Basic HTML/CSS experience, I recommend Python. Python is arguably the most useful as well as easy to learn PL in the history of coding. As a matter of fact I learnt basic python in 5 hours watching this youtube video - https:///2vPbMns . It could have been 4 hours but I love to play while working. tongue
thanks man
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Olizey(m): 1:43pm On Jan 04, 2019
mclenny14:

which institutes do you recommend to take these certification exams, and where to get good materials here in Nig, I intend to self study and take the exams

Are you in dire need for an udemy course, ranging from all sort of lectures and tutorials?

Or you need a premium software for your PC?

Or a Premium app for your phone?

Good news folks! YOU CAN GET ANYONE YOU WANT FOR A TOKEN OF 500 NAIRA.

You want proof? You can definitely ask for Screenshots.

I'm as legit as you can imagine.

For more enquiries, you can send me a mail at oliseohadike@yahoo.com. My whatsapp no is on my signature

Thank you.

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2019
Ayodejioak:

If I get a Naira everytime someone asks me this question, I'll be friends with the Joneses by now.

Not all cybersecurity professionals have or need coding skills. But without some knowledge of at least one language, you may find your path forward somewhat limited.

As a cyber security expert, you also get to do code review for applications, you want to be familiar with what inputs are being called, if there are any sort of malicious injection within every line of code and 'the only way to find what you're looking for is to know what to look for' - Ayodejioak.

I can bet you need at least some beginner or intermediate level of programming in the following languages in your Cyber Security Career:
Python, JavaScript, HTML, C, C++, Assembly, PHP

It's also cool to mention how getting the syntax of any programming language is the fastest approach towards learning them.
If you're scared of starting, start with HTML. If you have Basic HTML/CSS experience, I recommend Python. Python is arguably the most useful as well as easy to learn PL in the history of coding. As a matter of fact I learnt basic python in 5 hours watching this youtube video - https:///2vPbMns . It could have been 4 hours but I love to play while working. tongue

Your link is not going through.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 8:54pm On Jan 04, 2019
Peterjosh:

Your link is not going through.

Apparently, link shorteners are being blacklisted here.
Thanks to the mods/antispam bots.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2019
Ayodejioak:

Apparently, link shorteners are being blacklisted here.
Thanks to the mods/antispam bots.

LOL.. Can u send the link to my mail?

Abutusundaypeter@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by cbaba: 7:46am On Jan 10, 2019
If I crack the CISSP, how do I earn while residing in Nigeria?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by lynkyinka(m): 12:55pm On Jan 10, 2019
@Ayodejioak

are you up for joining up with a group of Nigerian cybersecurity professionals to share your insight and wealth of experience
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 6:20pm On Jan 10, 2019
lynkyinka:
@Ayodejioak

are you up for joining up with a group of Nigerian cybersecurity professionals to share your insight and wealth of experience

Sure, add me up!
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by GeorgeTheCoder: 7:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
Hi Ayo. Nice post and thanks for sharing your knowledge and time.
My ambition is to get a remote job as a Ruby/ Rails programmer. I am already fairly competent in the tech stack. What are the points you would advise me on in order to achieve this goal ?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 10:50am On Jan 14, 2019
Corporate training on CISSP, CHFI V9, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, CEH V10, CCNA CYBER OPS, CySA+, and Security+ at affordable price

Exam vouchers and word for word valid exam dumps also available.

VISERION TRAINING CENTER CAN ALSO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR EXAMS!

VISERION CYBERSECURITY TRAINING CENTER

Left wing, Ground floor, Nigeria Reinsurance Building, Opposite Unity Bank Tower, not far from NNPC Towers, Central Area, FCT Abuja.

Call or Whatsapp: 08167044626 for details.

www.viseriontrainingcenter.com

NOTE: Training cost include exam fee, official materials, breakfast and lunch with word for word valid exam dumps, certificate of completion of training and installation of hacking tools.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 10:51am On Jan 14, 2019
Available
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by chukzyfcbb: 8:31pm On Feb 02, 2019
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

I stopped biting, ask me anything!!

Cc: lalasticlala, 1forall, CrazyMan

1) Do you think a siem solution is dead?
With Edr fast springing up at a relatively cheaper cost and whats your view on siem globally and for low income nation like ours naija, that can't afford to fork out thousands of cash for it.

2) I understand you are an ethical hacker. How do you keep up with learning new offense moves? You will agree security is a cat and mouse game. Do you think The red team have the upper hand against the blue team in this security labour market?

3) Which of the Oem firewall will u say you have worked with and has given you the best experience so far smiley
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 8:20pm On Feb 04, 2019
chukzyfcbb:

1) Do you think a siem solution is dead?
With Edr fast springing up at a relatively cheaper cost and whats your view on siem globally and for low income nation like ours naija, that can't afford to fork out thousands of cash for it.

2) I understand you are an ethical hacker. How do you keep up with learning new offense moves? You will agree security is a cat and mouse game. Do you think The red team have the upper hand against the blue team in this security labour market?

3) Which of the Oem firewall will u say you have worked with and has given you the best experience so far smiley

I have to acknowledge the fact that you do know your stuff. Initially, I was going to make sure this is not some copy-paste from school assignment... In the mean time, let's get this started!

Before we talk about the solution, lets anaylze these five key elements that define any SIEM software
Cost - Managing and delpoying is super expensive. An average SOC analysts earns $110K PA while an average enterprise spends over $1M for maintenance, MSSPs, and customizations annually.
Skillset - Analyst dedicated to pure alert triage (tier1 -2) are considered the least relevant in critical security events
Complexity - SIEM administrators constantly suffer from alert fatigue, which is a source of error and less motivation within envirnment
Noise - Having to respond to thousands of baseless false positives triggered from Splunk logs especially in the event of a critical alert.
Real porblem - Most SMBs are ignorant of the importance of realtime threat detection & have tendencies to believe that a combo of a firewall, tech support and a nice AV solution is all they need

Generally speaking, cybersecurity is so interwoven that typical blue team still get their hands dirty with many Red team s/w (metasploitable,burp, Nmap, Nessus...) and vice versa for red teamers too. As a matter of fact you need to understand defense in-depth methodology before getting offensive. The good side for enthusiasts as well as script kiddies is how most of these tools are either open source or freeware.

I've had both hands-on as well as deploying, and administering a plethora of some of the best OEM firewalls in the industry today, some of them obviously suck!
The migration towards AWS and cloud technology is also drastically changing legacy communication and connectivity. That said, Notable OEM amongst those I'll always recommend remains: Barracuda Nextgen FW, Panorama (Paloalto Networks),Juniper,Fortinet FortiGate series,Sophos, SonicWall and definitely Cisco ASA model FWs.

Bonus: If you made your way into this thread you'll definitely find https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/ interesting. It's a realtime simulation of cyber attacks across the world. It's so sad how the African continent is vulnerable to most attack, making Nigeria # 79 Most-attacked country out of 195 countries in the world. If you're familiar with what Shodan can do, you'll then realize the Kaspersky cybermap and Shodan are brothers birth from different mothers!
Again, these information is entirely for educative purpose only. Any other question of the day? Oya hit me!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by chukzyfcbb: 10:41pm On Feb 04, 2019
Ayodejioak:

I have to acknowledge the fact that you do know your stuff. Initially, I was going to make sure this is not some copy-paste from school assignment... In the mean time, let's get this started!

Before we talk about the solution, lets anaylze these five key elements that define any SIEM software
Cost - Managing and delpoying is super expensive. An average SOC analysts earns $110K PA while an average enterprise spends over $1M for maintenance, MSSPs, and customizations annually.
Skillset - Analyst dedicated to pure alert triage (tier1 -2) are considered the least relevant in critical security events
Complexity - SIEM administrators constantly suffer from alert fatigue, which is a source of error and less motivation within envirnment
Noise - Having to respond to thousands of baseless false positives triggered from Splunk logs especially in the event of a critical alert.
Real porblem - Most SMBs are ignorant of the importance of realtime threat detection & have tendencies to believe that a combo of a firewall, tech support and a nice AV solution is all they need

Generally speaking, cybersecurity is so interwoven that typical blue team still get their hands dirty with many Red team s/w (metasploitable,burp, Nmap, Nessus...) and vice versa for red teamers too. As a matter of fact you need to understand defense in-depth methodology before getting offensive. The good side for enthusiasts as well as script kiddies is how most of these tools are either open source or freeware.

I've had both hands-on as well as deploying, and administering a plethora of some of the best OEM firewalls in the industry today, some of them obviously suck!
The migration towards AWS and cloud technology is also drastically changing legacy communication and connectivity. That said, Notable OEM amongst those I'll always recommend remains: Barracuda Nextgen FW, Panorama (Paloalto Networks),Juniper,Fortinet FortiGate series,Sophos, SonicWall and definitely Cisco ASA model FWs.

Bonus: If you made your way into this thread you'll definitely find https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/ interesting. It's a realtime simulation of cyber attacks across the world. It's so sad how the African continent is vulnerable to most attack, making Nigeria # 79 Most-attacked country out of 195 countries in the world. If you're familiar with what Shodan can do, you'll then realize the Kaspersky cybermap and Shodan are brothers birth from different mothers!
Again, these information is entirely for educative purpose only. Any other question of the day? Oya hit me!!
lool, nice one bro
Security investment here is often an afterthought for most organization in the budget list. I know of shodan and I will look up the kapersky cybermap. I don't really want to go offensive, I prefer the defensive side of things ccoming from a Networking background but with the way the labour market is looking.

Its either Full offensive or Devops to stay really at the top of the cyber security game.

Good thing you mentioned some of the firewalls I am familiar with smiley

Its all good, if I have any more things to ask. I will hit this thread up
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by meobizy(f): 2:39am On Jun 11, 2019
Jesus fed a multitude using five loaves of bread and two fishes.
I can do the same but na crumbs and morsels I go divide the food into.
The full baskets of food remaining are obvious hogwash unless those descriptions stand for something other than physical food.

...yes?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by maleeks(m): 5:46am On Aug 21, 2019
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

I stopped biting, ask me anything!!

Cc: lalasticlala, 1forall, CrazyMan
God bless you Ayodeji for this post ��
I have basic knowledge in python and also in ccna switching and routing but never get certified, My question is " can I go my for ccsk exam?" As I'm really intending to alongside my masters
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Christieuju11: 10:17pm On Aug 26, 2019
Hello Ayodejioak, I've been trying to reach you for sometime. Don't know if you received any of my mails. I have someone who recently relocated to the states. He has a degree in computer engineering (from Nigeria) I wanted to ask you few questions as regards the steps to take in getting a job related to what he studied. You can reach me through oraegbuchristiana@yahoo.com. Your response will be highly appreciated please.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 12:39pm On Aug 28, 2019
Christieuju11:
Hello Ayodejioak, I've been trying to reach you for sometime. Don't know if you received any of my mails. I have someone who recently relocated to the states. He has a degree in computer engineering (from Nigeria) I wanted to ask you few questions as regards the steps to take in getting a job related to what he studied. You can reach me through oraegbuchristiana@yahoo.com. Your response will be highly appreciated please.

Sure thing. I'll definitely write back.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Veniscy: 9:20am On Aug 29, 2019
wow my dream course...but don't know where to start from lol
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 9:50am On Aug 29, 2019
Veniscy:
wow my dream course...but don't know where to start from lol

Start from security+
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Pesb(m): 12:08am On Sep 18, 2019
I am changing career.

Cyber security is what I have decided to go into fully.

I just started with python.

Hope I am on track

@op....kindly explain the learning path from this stand point of mine.

Thanks in all.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 4:19am On Sep 18, 2019
Pesb:
I am changing career.

Cyber security is what I have decided to go into fully.

I just started with python.

Hope I am on track

@op....kindly explain the learning path from this stand point of mine.

Thanks in all.

You are not on track! Start from security+ or CISM. I really don't know why people think that by learning python, they are on track or you start from there for a career path in cybersecurity.

Python will only help you with hacking. Cybersecurity is more than hacking.

There are lots of ethics you need to know in cybersecurity.

I will advise you to start from SECURITY+ or CISM. Take it a step at a time. Don't rush it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Lionhearted: 1:30pm On Sep 19, 2019
akj26:

You are not on track! Start from security+ or CISM. I really don't know why people think that by learning python, they are on track or you start from there for a career path in cybersecurity.

I will advise you to start from SECURITY+ or CISM. Take it a step at a time. Don't rush it!

Which will you recommend between Security+ and CCNA security?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by ChidimmaP: 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2019
Ayodejioak:

Sure thing. I'll definitely write back.

Good day boss. Do you think ccna, ccnp and ccie certifications are worth it for someone going into cyber security as a career? It definitely includes ccie Security tho.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Pesb(m): 3:24am On Sep 20, 2019
akj26:

Thanks for your response.....

What's the learning path like?

Security+ ...
What comes after? Till one becomes an expert?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 5:51am On Sep 20, 2019
Lionhearted:

Which will you recommend between Security+ and CCNA security?

CCNA SECURITY
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 5:52am On Sep 20, 2019
Pesb:

Thanks for your response.....

What's the learning path like?

Security+ ...
What comes after? Till one becomes an expert?

Security+, CEHV10, CISM, CISSP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by BChigo: 6:39pm On Sep 20, 2019
Are you interested in career change?
Are you looking to start a new career?
Are you a fresh graduate looking for where to start?

We're live now!
The Cloudticians Inc holds her 4th Global AWS Cloud ☁ Training in the Great State of Virginia and Online. The new training kicks off October 11th 2019 - January 12th 2020 (3months). This is one of the best hands-on training for Amazon Web Services today! Register now, space are limited to 120 folks in-person and no limits online.

https:///dGp3XiE

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise / The Future Of Bank Marketers In Nigeria / How My Job Nearly Got Me Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.