Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything (18875 Views)

How To Begin A Career In Cybersecurity Without Previous Knowledge / Free Cybersecurity Course Worth N240,000 offered by ICSI UK / CyberSecurity: GRC, CYSA+, AWS, CCSK, CCSP, CISSP, CISA, CRISC, CISM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Godsfavour78: 2:24pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ayodejioak:

I have to acknowledge the fact that you do know your stuff. Initially, I was going to make sure this is not some copy-paste from school assignment... In the mean time, let's get this started!

Before we talk about the solution, lets anaylze these five key elements that define any SIEM software
Cost - Managing and delpoying is super expensive. An average SOC analysts earns $110K PA while an average enterprise spends over $1M for maintenance, MSSPs, and customizations annually.
Skillset - Analyst dedicated to pure alert triage (tier1 -2) are considered the least relevant in critical security events
Complexity - SIEM administrators constantly suffer from alert fatigue, which is a source of error and less motivation within envirnment
Noise - Having to respond to thousands of baseless false positives triggered from Splunk logs especially in the event of a critical alert.
Real porblem - Most SMBs are ignorant of the importance of realtime threat detection & have tendencies to believe that a combo of a firewall, tech support and a nice AV solution is all they need

Generally speaking, cybersecurity is so interwoven that typical blue team still get their hands dirty with many Red team s/w (metasploitable,burp, Nmap, Nessus...) and vice versa for red teamers too. As a matter of fact you need to understand defense in-depth methodology before getting offensive. The good side for enthusiasts as well as script kiddies is how most of these tools are either open source or freeware.

I've had both hands-on as well as deploying, and administering a plethora of some of the best OEM firewalls in the industry today, some of them obviously suck!
The migration towards AWS and cloud technology is also drastically changing legacy communication and connectivity. That said, Notable OEM amongst those I'll always recommend remains: Barracuda Nextgen FW, Panorama (Paloalto Networks),Juniper,Fortinet FortiGate series,Sophos, SonicWall and definitely Cisco ASA model FWs.

Bonus: If you made your way into this thread you'll definitely find https://cybermap.kaspersky.com/ interesting. It's a realtime simulation of cyber attacks across the world. It's so sad how the African continent is vulnerable to most attack, making Nigeria # 79 Most-attacked country out of 195 countries in the world. If you're familiar with what Shodan can do, you'll then realize the Kaspersky cybermap and Shodan are brothers birth from different mothers!
Again, these information is entirely for educative purpose only. Any other question of the day? Oya hit me!!
bro if you had access to fortigate/fortinet admin panel. How would gain access to the computers connected.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by SqueezedPant: 7:08pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

I stopped biting, ask me anything!!

Cc: lalasticlala, 1forall, CrazyMan

Please what languages do you learn to become a cyber security man?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by gentleibraheem(m): 11:37pm On Mar 05, 2020
why is maltina that expensive. is it different from the one we buy at #150
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 12:37am On Mar 06, 2020
Godsfavour78:
bro if you had access to fortigate/fortinet admin panel. How would gain access to the computers connected.

Depends on what your motives are.
You can as well do whatever any admin can you once you have access to the Fortigate console
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 12:42am On Mar 06, 2020
SqueezedPant:

Please what languages do you learn to become a cyber security man?

Non negotiable language to learn in 2020 for InfoSec
- Python
- SPL
- Powershell/bash
- C if you are into AppSec

Other necessities can will come thru simultaneously

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by SqueezedPant: 5:40am On Mar 06, 2020
Ayodejioak:

- Python
- SPL
- Powershell/bash

Thanks for this , can you suggest sites to learn this? Free sites
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by onlyforchrist: 8:08am On Mar 06, 2020
SqueezedPant:

https://www.freetutorialsus.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by hustla(m): 11:01am On Mar 17, 2020
Ayodejioak:

- Python
- SPL
- Powershell/bash

smiley

How do you see Cloud security bro?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by FineDragon(m): 2:25pm On Mar 17, 2020
@ Ayodejioak
i have been a guest on nairaland, always viewing comments and all, please @OP, i opened this account so as to be able to reach you, i have been looking for your contact, but none seen!! is there anyway i can reach you please,
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Neoviper147: 2:41pm On Mar 17, 2020
Ok, I live in the US too, Colorado to be precise. How do i become a cybersecurity? My present job involves me travelling the country and i am tired of travelling. So, what books do i need, and where do i start from?
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by doggedfighter(f): 8:33pm On Mar 17, 2020

Bro self study wouldn't help u, if u kw u don't kw d basics, and it's more of an experience to u wen u interact with ur peers at ur learning center (real experience) u don't have to learn for 2 years b4 u do a write up on ur cv dat u have 2 years experience, just 6 months of solid proper
interactions u are good to go,,,,

It not about I want to do self studying bro, ,,register at a center and get real life experience with real tutor, ,,,i don't just buy d idea of online programs, ,,,register at a center and support ur learning with youtube video, am in benin at an IT place called CCT

People say u can check on udemy online for materials
Hello
Can I ask you some questions about CCT Benin. Would like to enroll there
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by ahaz: 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2020
tolugar:
Guy am just here downing my garri and kulikuli (#20 for just 5balls)

My question is?

Will buhari go to daura by road or sea
as a novice in computer what steps if computer program will I undertake before being a cyber security expert?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 12:30pm On Mar 18, 2020
ahaz:
as a novice in computer what steps if computer program will I undertake before being a cyber security expert?

Python
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by issylarry(m): 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2020
Ayodejioak:

How can i start a career in dz
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 9:58pm On Mar 19, 2020
issylarry:

How can I start a career in dz

The first step to getting started is actually getting started.
Give yourself some time to think about your strengths, The easiest method is taking not of what you can talk about without a pause in 3 minutes.
Visiting your history and noting what accomplishments you've made can help too.
If you can get past that, I can assure you the rest is hot knife on butter.

Passion too. In this career, I can't overemphasize how important it is to be self-motivated.
Peace!
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2020
cbaba:
If I crack the CISSP, how do I earn while residing in Nigeria?

It all kind of works hand-in-hand. If you can crack the CISSP without dumps, or previous certs like SSCP, AWS, CEH and the likes, then you can success story will speak for itself. If your LinkedIn profile doesn't do the magic, you just might get a random call out of the blue.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by planetx13: 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2020
Ayodejioak:

Can WhatsApp be hacked remotely??
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 10:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
SqueezedPant:

Welcome to 2020, where every material is free and reachable.

If you're a complete noob to cybersecurity and willing to gain skill, Start with CTFs (Hackerrank, google ctfs, and other jeopardy style ctfs), try https://beginnersbook.com/, or even http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ The only repository you can download ANY ebook legally in the world

If you consider yourself mid-level: Try even more rigorous CTFs like HTB, the only website where you literally have to hack your way in, i.e no signup button, try https://www.hacksplaining.com/ a free hacker training platform for those with background knowledge

You'll definitely know when you get to the category of advanced security professionals, then you're making money outside your regular job for what you know, be it through Bounty programs, or referrals, or personal blog/forum or even prove yourself by passing OSCP and OSCE, one of the many exams where you get on every country's watchlist due to the havoc you can cause in the digital space because of what you know!

This would be the longest thread on NL if I have to share all the tips I know... True story: I showed someone just a folder in my bookmark, in his words, "I saw links to websites that were impossible to fathom they ever existed, interestingly, 2000 question later, I helped pass his Security+ exam

The most important thing is understanding the idea of giving back. In infosec, the more you give back the more you get!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 10:37pm On Mar 19, 2020
planetx13:

Can WhatsApp be hacked remotely??

Is it man-made?
Is there a server-client comms established?

Even more sophisticated applications have been breached, how much more Whatsapp.
Forget media and what info is filtered to the gen-pop

If WhatsApp or Facebook or any app gets breached, you definitely don't expect news like that to make it to mainstream media do you?
Wish I could share a repository that accounts for breached assets here, there you get to see how ofter these guys apply patches due to bad guys getting in.

Have you heard of Microsoft Patch Tuesday?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by issylarry(m): 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2020
Ayodejioak:

The first step to getting started is actually getting started.
Give yourself some time to think about your strengths, The easiest method is taking not of what you can talk about without a pause in 3 minutes.
Visiting your history and noting what accomplishments you've made can help too.
If you can get past that, I can assure you the rest is hot knife on butter.

Passion too. In this career, I can't overemphasize how important it is to be self-motivated.
Peace!
How can i get videos to start with and also the type of laptop i shud v
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2020
FineDragon:
@ Ayodejioak
i have been a guest on nairaland, always viewing comments and all, please @OP, i opened this account so as to be able to reach you, i have been looking for your contact, but none seen!! is there anyway i can reach you please,

Correct, I had the habit of erasing my digital footprints using OSINT but I dropped that habit a long time ago since it's literally -ve SEO.
Feel free to send me a mail, I'll be more than happy to respond!
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 10:57pm On Mar 19, 2020
Neoviper147:
Ok, I live in the US too, Colorado to be precise. How do i become a cybersecurity? My present job involves me travelling the country and i am tired of travelling. So, what books do i need, and where do i start from?

Welcome to the talk! Must be cold out there

You remind me of my first 'official' job in America, it was a travel job too: Average of 1000 miles a week, firm provided car, gas, mileage, lunch and even tools. I loved it so much because I was literally getting paid to explore.

Don't be tired bro, Start with simple goals then move up from there.You can decide to get Network+ certified by this summer all self-taught: subscribe to Network chuck and Professor messer on YT, with those two and your personal effort, you will pass!

Always remember, big things start small

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Lionhearted: 9:08pm On Mar 21, 2020
@ayodejioak.

What do you think of this path: security+>ceh>cissp?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by planetx13: 11:51pm On Mar 21, 2020
Ayodejioak:

Is it man-made?
Is there a server-client comms established?

Even more sophisticated applications have been breached, how much more Whatsapp.
Forget media and what info is filtered to the gen-pop

If WhatsApp or Facebook or any app gets breached, you definitely don't expect news like that to make it to mainstream media do you?
Wish I could share a repository that accounts for breached assets here, there you get to see how ofter these guys apply patches due to bad guys getting in.

Have you heard of Microsoft Patch Tuesday?

Ok boss..can we chat privately??
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 5:16am On Mar 22, 2020
planetx13:

Ok boss..can we chat privately??

Send me an email, let's talk
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 5:19am On Mar 22, 2020
Lionhearted:
@ayodejioak.

What do you think of this path: security+>ceh>cissp?

Always Works.

If you're going netsec specific, you might want to swap out CEH for CCNP-sec

I've seen those that aced Cissp right after sec+ too.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by planetx13: 6:59am On Mar 22, 2020
Ayodejioak:

Send me an email, let's talk

Sent you a pm
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by sweetchi1011: 1:54pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hello, I am a computer science graduate, currently doing my MSc. I will really like to build a career in Cyber security, how do I start?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by DriggityDre: 6:36am On Apr 26, 2020
sweetchi1011:
Hello, I am a computer science graduate, currently doing my MSc. I will really like to build a career in Cyber security, how do I start?
What programming languages are you familiar with?
Do you have any CCNA certifications?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 8:36am On Apr 26, 2020
DriggityDre:

What programming languages are you familiar with?
Do you have any CCNA certifications?

He doesn't need programming language or CCNA for cybersecurity.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by DriggityDre: 8:38am On Apr 26, 2020
akj26:

She doesn't need programming language or CCNA for cybersecurity.

Care to explain what she needs, then??
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 8:43am On Apr 26, 2020
sweetchi1011:

Start small. From Security+ to Cysa+ to CEHv10 then CISM, finally CISSP. This is the best career path for cybersecurity. You can mix it with OSCP. Programming and networking wont make you focus on Cybersecurity.

You can reach me on Whatsapp: 08167044626 for guidance.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. / Customs Remove HND Dichotomy, Promote 3487 Officers / Recession: American University Of Nigeria Increases Staff Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.