Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything (18873 Views)

How To Begin A Career In Cybersecurity Without Previous Knowledge / Free Cybersecurity Course Worth N240,000 offered by ICSI UK / CyberSecurity: GRC, CYSA+, AWS, CCSK, CCSP, CISSP, CISA, CRISC, CISM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by DriggityDre: 9:17am On Apr 26, 2020
akj26:

Programming and networking wont make you focus on Cybersecurity
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer knowing them both.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 9:30am On Apr 26, 2020
DriggityDre:

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer knowing them both.

It can aid your knowledge but you will lose focus. programming will assist you in writing your own script and networking will help to an extent but you may not be best. Talking from 15 years of experience in Cybersecurity.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by DriggityDre: 9:31am On Apr 26, 2020
akj26:

It can aid your knowledge but you will lose focus. programming will assist you in writing your own script and networking will help to an extent but you may not be best. Talking from 15 years of experience in Cybersecurity.
You have a point.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by sweetchi1011: 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2020
akj26:

Start small. From Security+ to Cysa+ to CEHv10 then CISM, finally CISSP. This is the best career path for cybersecurity. You can mix it with OSCP. Programming and networking wont make you focus on Cybersecurity.

You can reach me on Whatsapp: 08167044626 for guidance.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Siberry: 5:04pm On Aug 19, 2020
sweetchi1011:
Hello, I am a computer science graduate, currently doing my MSc. I will really like to build a career in Cyber security, how do I start?

You should have done your MSc in Cyber security or Information Security.
Since you have Computer background you can still get a job in junior SOC analyst or learn pen testing.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Siberry: 5:07pm On Aug 19, 2020
akj26:

It's always good to have knowledge of programming esp python , and most importantly Networking if you really want to get your hands dirty (dirty in a good way, like if you are not in the section of security assurance)
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Netflixng(m): 9:45pm On Nov 08, 2020
Someone should recommend a good tutor center for cyber security and ethical hacking
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 10:33pm On Nov 08, 2020
Netflixng:
Someone should recommend a good tutor center for cyber security and ethical hacking

https://viserioncybersecuritycenter.training/

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ogbaba123: 2:30am On May 09, 2021
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

I stopped biting, ask me anything!!

Cc: lalasticlala, 1forall, CrazyMan

OP is this thread still active?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 2:42pm On May 09, 2021
Yes

Ogbaba123:

OP is this thread still active?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by emekajd: 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2021
I want to write the CompTIA Security+ Exams from Nigeria. Can you suggest a registered centre here in Nigeria to take this exam? With bank restriction on $100 monthly spend for Naira debit cards, how to pay the fees of $370?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by OFG1(m): 8:52pm On Jul 18, 2021
emekajd:
I want to write the CompTIA Security+ Exams from Nigeria. Can you suggest a registered centre here in Nigeria to take this exam? With bank restriction on $100 monthly spend for Naira debit cards, how to pay the fees of $370?

Depending on your location, you will be able to choose from a list of centres while scheduling your exam. In addition, sec+ is $207 for emerging markets(Nigeria inclusive). You can get a prepaid USD card from zenith bank.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Floda: 10:36am On Aug 28, 2021
Hello House.
Nice thread here.

Please I have some questions to ask but here is a little back story.
My younger brother who is currently taking SSCE has interest in Cyber Security ( All thanks to his CISCO teacher ). He intends going for it in his Undergraduate studies and plans to apply to FUTO. I really like the amount of interest he has and I have source for some beginner level online course on Cybersecurity for him to take ( that's after his SSCE ).

The problem now is that I dont want him to study this course in a Nigerian University as we all know what ASUU have done and will still do.

So, my questions are,
1. Is it too early for me to give him Courses on Cybersecurity or should i wait till he starts his undergraduate journey?

2. How possible is it for him to get an undergraduate scholarship to study Cybersecurity in the US?

3. How can we go about getting a scholarship. ( I know that he would have to get a good score in his GRE or so ).

4. Finally, any other tips on how to help him develop his interest and knowledge would be appreciated.

Looking forward to getting a reply from our gurus.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by depotyy: 9:23am On Nov 13, 2021
Get certified on your 1st attempt
Ask me how.
Email: Fullstackdeveloper2029@gmail.com

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Bapy(m): 6:42pm On Nov 25, 2021
Ayodejioak:
It's just another day here, working within the Blue team of one of America's largest IT firm, downing my Cheetos and my Maltina ($6 per bottle).

Cc: lalasticlala, 1forall, CrazyMan

I need a hint please on IT and cybersecurity challanges for a cybersecurity escape room for entry level cyber professionals. The scenario is "stop the Ransomeware Attack". Players will have 45 minutes to stop the attack. I need 12 challenges. The solution to each challange will produce one letter. When players find all letters they will have the answer to stop the attack. As much as possible, challenges will be related to browser security, physical security, encryption, risk management, application security, network security, security policy, Phishing, social engineering, identity theft, and must include use of Microsoft and Linux operating systems. Free online tools are also acceptable (e.g., binary translator, ROT 13 translater, etc.) I would also like players to use HP Reveal (augmented reality app), puzzles, maps, locks and keys, video, riddles, etc.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by yunqdady: 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2021
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Theunderman: 10:24am On Dec 19, 2021
How do one go about learning cyber security
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by ModelLook(m): 11:16am On Dec 19, 2021
yunqdady:

What courses do ai need to take to learn cyber security? I'm a nursing major but willing to learn CS as a side hustle. How do I start from the scratch please?

And I want to pick a form and start your Major via SON hopefully by next year.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by yunqdady: 1:55pm On Dec 19, 2021

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by ModelLook(m): 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2021
yunqdady:

You don't wanna be a model no more?
Go on, pick the form, choose a less competitive school, private preferably

There will always be time for that in the nearest future. Hopefully.

Thanks alot.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Lacisa: 12:05am On Dec 20, 2021
@Op, please what will be your advise as the best way, at no cost, to carryout hands-on practice of any of cybersecurity, information systems mgt or IT audit? Penetration testing, vulnerability testing etc maybe inclusive. Assuming the person has knowledge of the theories to an extent from first degree and certifications. I know that Cybersecurity is different from Information Systems Mgt.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 6:31am On Dec 26, 2021
yunqdady:

What courses do ai need to take to learn cyber security? I'm a nursing major but willing to learn CS as a side hustle. How do I start from the scratch please?

Great! CS is a 1000 ft overview word. Did you have a niche that you find interesting and passionate about? Say IAM, risk, forensics or Ops
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by yunqdady: 7:49am On Dec 26, 2021
Ayodejioak:

Great! CS is a 1000 ft overview word. Did you have a niche that you find interesting and passionate about? Say IAM, risk, forensics or Ops
Wow wow wow. Guess I have to research to find a niche.
Ethical Hacking or penetration testing a niche?
I learnt I need Phyton?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by erjo: 3:38am On Dec 29, 2021
Ayodejioak:

Greetings, is there a way you can mentor someone privately?
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by olioxx(m): 4:12pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ayodejioak:

My own question to you is, "How do I get a cyber security job in the US?".
I need to jakpa comot from Nigeria to maintain my mental health.
I don't mind a one on one mentoring from you.

I'll hopefully drop a YouTube video where I am dynamically analysing a malware.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Udoboss(m): 10:00am On Dec 30, 2021
I want to relocate the U.S. by via IT jobs..

Show me an easy route
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by dovee69: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2021
Good day all, please is age a limitation in learning IT. Am talking about 40 Plus. Thanks
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by akj26(m): 10:47pm On Dec 30, 2021
dovee69:
Good day all, please is age a limitation in learning IT. Am talking about 40 Plus. Thanks

No limitations.
Re: I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything by Ayodejioak(m): 3:44am On Jan 08, 2022
erjo:

Greetings, is there a way you can mentor someone privately?

Absolutely. Shoot me an email.
On a high level, actually working on virtual mentorship project, incase you or anyone else is willing to jump on the bandwagon. Ideas welcome!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Was The First Salary You Ever Earned? / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. / Customs Remove HND Dichotomy, Promote 3487 Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.