Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,713 members, 7,851,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:17 PM

Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv (1027 Views)

Hitv Sport Analysts Are Plastics / Hitv Breaks Dstv Monopoly Over English Premier League / Great Soccer Fans Get HiTV For Live Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by akintun: 1:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
We all know that the inability of Hitv to secure d right to broadcast d english league might lead to d liquidation of d company. In d uk, d regulator forced sky to sale its premium sport channel for a fixed price
I strongly feel dat the Nigeria regulator should adopt d same measure, by forcing dstv to sell some of its premium sport channels to other cable companies at a reduced price, because dis would favour consumers and allow other cable stations to flourish. What is ur take on dis.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by honeric01(m): 1:39pm On Aug 05, 2010
Is EPL the only league in the world? cant HITV source for other "potentials" and then make them lucrative to their potential customers?
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by akintun: 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2010
Hitv is a new company, derefore it would take a long time 4 dem to build loyalty from customers. Stations usually have their niche market and we cannot deny d fact dat a strong sporting channel is essential 4 a cable station survival. In d united states, ESPN is d most sort after stat* , and disney uses it as a bargainning tool to sale other stat*
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by honeric01(m): 2:14pm On Aug 05, 2010
Then, let them go out and solicit with other premium stations, they are older than daarsat, yet daarsat is still in the market and they are the rightful owners (right) to all the Nigerian teams' games.

Without EPL, they are surviving, so let HITV look elsewhere, the Italian league is there, they can as well tap into the french league too even though Daarsat has the french league rights too.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:58pm On Aug 05, 2010
anti- wetin?

funny how u pple suddenly remember anti-competition law when u lost the rights!!

where were u when cable channels were begging Hitv to license prem to them in the last 3 years? abi the time Hitv dey jump up and down to buy exclusive rights , competition nor dey then?

so now they lost it, u pple keep crying. my friend get off your asses and start working to grow the company, for bleeps sake u pple wanna run a satellite tv based on just prem footy alone? even chinkos wey come last month sef have a wider variety of channels such that they now make more sense than even hitv.

and pls slash ur dumb prices
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^^^^
Please leave the OP to wallow in his dellusions of granduer.Anti- ko,uncle ni.
HiTV is a victim of plain stupidity/shortsightedness.
They didn't diversify their operations in spite of the new-found viewership earned,forgeting that the EPL rights are only temporary.
Besides,the rules in the UK are different from what we have here.HiTV bidded for the rights and lost.Me,I can't wait to have DSTv air the EPL once more.The three years with HitV were harrowing,to say the least.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by honeric01(m): 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2010
DSTV has the right to almost all the top european leagues, lol, what else? grin grin grin
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by akintun: 7:00pm On Aug 05, 2010
They didn't diversify their operations in spite of the new-found viewership earned,forgeting that the EPL rights are only temporary.
Besides,the rules in the UK are different from what we have here.HiTV bidded for the rights and lost.Me,I can't wait to have DSTv air the EPL once more.The three years with HitV were harrowing,to say the least.

In the uk, they consider the consumers, and their economy as a whole wen making decisions. We cannot as a country keep allowing one company to dominate an industry. wat i meant was dat hitv and other cable stations should be allowed to buy and include supersport 3 among their packages at a price favorable to dstv and other cable stations.

It is common thing in d uk to see sky stations on itv and bt decoders. Recently the regulators forced sky to sell skysport 1 to other cable stations at a fixed price, and dat resulted in BT offering skysport 1 to consumers at a price even lower to those offered by sky.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
Taught Hitv has the uefa c.league rights? Dstv couldnt show ucl last season did they?
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by kilakhan(m): 11:53pm On Aug 05, 2010
they have the Champions league and Europa league, besides I know a lot of ladies like the Indian films on it so I guess they will survive, more important they should improve the quality of thier programming, DSTV may have the premeirship rights but they too can be pretty boring, HiTV needs to add some more quality channels to compete,
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 06, 2010
akintun:

In the uk, they consider the consumers, and their economy as a whole wen making decisions. We cannot as a country keep allowing one company to dominate an industry. wat i meant was dat hitv and other cable stations should be allowed to buy and include supersport 3 among their packages at a price favorable to dstv and other cable stations.

It is common thing in d uk to see sky stations on itv and bt decoders. Recently the regulators forced sky to sell skysport 1 to other cable stations at a fixed price, and dat resulted in BT offering skysport 1 to consumers at a price even lower to those offered by sky.
Please I don't know your stake in HiTV,but my instincts tell me you have a great deal of interests judging from your response.
How come you're bringing up this issue only after HiTV lost the rights for the EPL?When they had it,were you campaigning for eqaul and adequate distributorship the way you're singing now that the rights have been lost?Remember several pay-tv stations begged HiTV to have a glimpse of the EPL games,but HiTV bluntly refused.
Your argument is one of convenience:i.e. it's ok for you to preach the gospel of anti-competition now that they don't have what they used to,forgetting thay they simply were also anti-competitive themselves.
And again,the rules regarding viewership are far different from that of UK.I won't go into the ynamics,because I know very well that it's not the same over here.
So I do not understand why you're expounding on those same details when you know they don't apply over here.For all we know,there is hardly anything such as regulation in any sphere of life in this country so I wonder where the miracle you seek is going to come from
deal with the fact that HiTV lost because of lack of vision instead of slandering DSTv who in the first place made Nigerians aware of the value of the EPL.If HiTV had developed from the EPL rights they had,the loss of these same rights wouldn't be such a blow to them.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by aieromon(m): 11:50am On Aug 06, 2010
Where were you when HITV was shovin' sand down CTL's throat undecided
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Jencejyde(m): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2010
All these crying over spilt milk still trying to draw us to the dark ages. Its like saying im paying 6,000 every month to only watch sesame street of 1985.
Pleaseeeeee! Most of the other NL peeps have said it all and there isn't much to be said again.

When indigenous companies start thinking out of the box and not just calculating figures then we would be able to mount a sustainable challenge against foreign companies.

Let HITV go back and re plan an re strategise and come out stronger and better, this experience should make them learn that in order to succeed you must prepare properly.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by akintun: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2010
[b]Please I don't know your stake in HiTV,but my instincts tell me you have a great deal of interests judging from your response.
How come you're bringing up this issue only after HiTV lost the rights for the EPL?When they had it,were you campaigning for eqaul and adequate distributorship the way you're singing now that the rights have been lost?Remember several pay-tv stations begged HiTV to have a glimpse of the EPL games,but HiTV bluntly refused.
Your argument is one of convenience:i.e. it's ok for you to preach the gospel of anti-competition now that they don't have what they used to,forgetting thay they simply were also anti-competitive themselves.
And again,the rules regarding viewership are far different from that of UK.I won't go into the ynamics,because I know very well that it's not the same over here.
So I do not understand why you're expounding on those same details when you know they don't apply over here.For all we know,there is hardly anything such as regulation in any sphere of life in this country so I wonder where the miracle you seek is going to come from
deal with the fact that HiTV lost because of lack of vision instead of slandering DSTv who in the first place made Nigerians aware of the value of the EPL.If HiTV had developed from the EPL rights they had,the loss of these same rights wouldn't be such a blow to them.[/b]

i personally dont care about hitv, but i care about d economy and the consumers. i want u to tell me d diff btw the uk and nigeria. Hav started in both countries and i can say d diff is regulation.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^^
Dude,wake up and live.
All consumers in these parts really care about is quality.They don't care who has what.
HiTV had the rights for 3 years and did nothing with it.Notice that most people are happy the DSTv Has the rights once more.
Economy?DSTv probably contributes more to the economy of this country than HiTV probably ever will.

As per you r question on the difference,you've answered it.There's no such thing as regulation in the very sense of the word here.So i don't expect you to expect a miracle for the rights to be re-awarded to HTV.
You've carefully avoided the point about HiTV's anti-competitive stance while they had the rights.That's the part of this argument I don't understand.Because your attempt to paint HiTV as the wronged party falls flat on its face when they are guilty of the same sin you say DSTv has commited.If regulation is to be employed,HiTV shoulda been punished too.
Be consistent oooo.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by akintun: 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
Economy?DSTv probably contributes more to the economy of this country than HiTV probably ever will
is it not better to have more than one company contributing to d economy, and i'm not advocating 4 d right to be transferred to hitv. what i'm saying is dat dstv should make some of its stations avaliable on other cable stations at a price fixed by NBC. This would then enable consumers with other decoders watch the EPL. it is not good 4 consumers to be changing decoder every 3 years.
It is unfair to compare a company dat started 3 yrs ago to a monopolist who rip Nigerians off with their high monthly charges.
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Nobody: 5:28am On Aug 07, 2010
akintun:

Economy?DSTv probably contributes more to the economy of this country than HiTV probably ever will
is it not better to have more than one company contributing to d economy, and i'm not advocating 4 d right to be transferred to hitv. what i'm saying is dat dstv should make some of its stations avaliable on other cable stations at a price fixed by NBC. This would then enable consumers with other decoders watch the EPL. it is not good 4 consumers to be changing decoder every 3 years.
It is unfair to compare a company dat started 3 yrs ago to a monopolist who rip Nigerians off with their high monthly charges.
Oga,Please let's not beat about the bush on this argument any further.You keep raising issues you cannot defend.
To me,HiTV is the one ripping us off.To pay 6k just for Premiership/CL and nothing else apart from AY show is more fraudulent that paying 9.5k and getting a whole lot of options on the DSTv bouquet which is more organised,more functional and more diverse than the nonsense HiTV offers.
Changing decoders?I laugh.I kept my DSTv decoder because I knew it would be a matter of time before they got back the rights.HiTV was more monopolist when they tried to shut down CTL.Are you not aware of that?Again,I say be consistent in your argument.Let it flow both ways
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:20am On Aug 07, 2010
Eastbay:

^^^^
Dude,wake up and live.
All consumers in these parts really care about is quality.They don't care who has what.
HiTV had the rights for 3 years and did nothing with it.Notice that most people are happy the DSTv Has the rights once more.
Economy?DSTv probably contributes more to the economy of this country than HiTV probably ever will.

As per you r question on the difference,you've answered it.There's no such thing as regulation in the very sense of the word here.So i don't expect you to expect a miracle for the rights to be re-awarded to HTV.
You've carefully avoided the point about HiTV's anti-competitive stance while they had the rights.That's the part of this argument I don't understand.Because your attempt to paint HiTV as the wronged party falls flat on its face when they are guilty of the same sin you say DSTv has commited.If regulation is to be employed,HiTV shoulda been punished too.
Be consistent oooo.

@ eastbay, nor mind the maga, typical nigerian, soon they will start asking govt to provide tyhem Premier league footy for free in their toilets

@ mr hitv defender pls ANSWER THE HIGHLIGHTED QUESTION
Re: Can Anti-competition Law Save Hitv by Segunod(m): 4:12pm On Aug 12, 2010
I don't really knw y dis topic is raised. Just like pple have said in previous comment, when Hitv had d right 4 good three yrs, they held on only 2 d Epl without improving on there channels. They increase d subscription & start dis copyright law palava. Closing down hotels, viewing centres, etc. We all knew wat they did to Ctl. They sell nothing than epl & i guess they have seen d result. The worst was dat they couldn't even air d very first world cup in Africa but they can boost of epl in England. Even wen Dstv lost d epl right 2 Hitv, they use other leagues to keep there customers. They made d world cup fantastic to there viewers. I'm really happy dat dstv now has d right cos their pre match analysis is just too superb compare 2 hitv

(1) (Reply)

If Nigeria Qualify For Wc And Break Up Which Country Wd Take Our Place / Yaya Toure Wins 2015 CAF African Player Of The Year Award / Is There Really A Gang-up Against Chelsea In D Bpl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.