Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? (1514 Views)

How Do Atheists Address The Question Of Human Existence? / NA WA O: Atheists Have Taken Over The Nairaland Religion Section / Atheists, Have You Asked God To Prove Himself, And He Didn't Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by budaatum: 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
iceboy4752:
To the atheists in the house, are there "marriage rites" in atheism? Do you pay any bride price before marriage? Do you limit the number of wives you marry or you marry as you like?
Atheist don't have "rites". We can make vows for each other and invite family and friends to witness it but rites, no.

If we marry people who have a tradition of bride prices, we pay. If not, we don't. There's no rule or law about it same as there isn't one for religious people. Not all religious people pay bride prices.

The laws in some countries do not allow for the marrying of more than one person, and to be honest, most can't afford to with the cost of housing and child care and considering both wives might want two or more kids, which in todays day and age is a lot. But just like religious people some do 'marry' as they like, though in countries where it's a crime they'll go to jail, and in countries where it's not, I guess it's not.

My uncle was an Anglican with three wives, as was my grandfather, and only recently, less than 20 years, did the former Nigerian Anglican Bishop Akinola declare the marrying of more than one wife unAnglican. He had to blindeye though since he could not tell people to de-marry their excess wives.

I guess it falls down to love and the ability to respect others. Not many people, religious or not, have more than one wife or marry as they like, as you put it. And just like religious people, atheists can love their one wife and stick with her till death does them apart, while some don't love enough and don't mind other wives or bits on the side. No one is immune to Aids, note.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by Anas09: 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2018
DeSepiero:

We can look up the history of the institution of marriage from an objective (NOT religious) perspective.
History will draw us back to the first marriage on earth, what will your guess be? mine will be Adam and Eve. But, pls fill free to bring yours up.
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by calculator123(m): 11:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
No rites, just vows.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by empron(m): 11:12pm On Dec 23, 2018
Seun:

I think extra-marital affairs are almost always wrong, because you are breaking a promise you made and deceiving someone who is committed to you. The whole purpose of marriage is exclusivity. You are picking a person to be with and forsaking all others. Affairs defeat this purpose.

I recently read a story about a man whose wife was wonderful and a good mother but the only issue was that she refused to have sex with him after they got married. She wasn't interested in it at all. So he decided to indulge in discreet affairs to satisfy himself. I judged him not guilty.
I always respect your response and reply. Bro you are loaded.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by Anas09: 11:20pm On Dec 23, 2018
DeSepiero:

Genesis 1.25, 28 (KJV)

25And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Do you use a different bible?
Be fruitfully and multiply technically means 'be fertile, have sex and increase in population'.
Then He won't prohibit adultery.
Adam and Eve were married Sir. The Lord whose name is Jesus, married them.
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by DeSepiero(m): 11:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
Anas09:

History will draw us back to the first marriage on earth, what will your guess be? mine will be Adam and Eve. But, pls fill free to bring yours up.

When I mention 'history' I wasn't really expecting to learn the very first marriage. That's not a realistic thing to enquire. I don't think history will bring up Adam and Eve - it will rather highlight the evolution of marriage in societies through civilizations.

4 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by Grupo(m): 11:40pm On Dec 23, 2018
DeSepiero:

When I mention 'history' I wasn't really expecting to learn the very first marriage. That's not a realistic thing to enquire. I don't think history will bring up Adam and Eve - it will rather highlight the evolution of marriage in societies through civilizations.

The bolded was exactly what I was trying to make him see in my earlier posts on this thread, but he seems to be too deep in his delusions.

4 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by DeSepiero(m): 11:41pm On Dec 23, 2018
Anas09:

Well, as the story puts it, we can agree that they were married.
Jesus wasn't in the narrative.
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by DeSepiero(m): 11:50pm On Dec 23, 2018
Grupo:

The bolded was exactly what I was trying to make him see in my earlier posts on this thread, but he seems to be too deep in his delusions.

That's the closest to reality we can expect.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by kimco(m): 12:33am On Dec 24, 2018
Anas09:

this always baffled me. how come kings had multiple wives and concubines. is the idea of having concubines not committing adultery?
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by awesomeJ(m): 10:50pm On Jan 02, 2019
Seun:

I think extra-marital affairs are almost always wrong, because you are breaking a promise you made and deceiving someone who is committed to you. The whole purpose of marriage is exclusivity. You are picking a person to be with and forsaking all others. Affairs defeat this purpose.

I recently read a story about a man whose wife was wonderful and a good mother but the only issue was that she refused to have sex with him sometime after they got married. She wasn't interested in it at all. So he decided to indulge in discreet affairs to satisfy himself. I judged him not guilty.

And whom do you think you are to judge? 'I judged him not guilty'. funny.

you could have said ' I didn't think of him as guilty' or 'in my opinion, I'd say he isn't guilty'

You sometimes think too highly of yourself than you ought to. That's something the Christian faith would have fixed up in you.
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by NPComplete: 6:42am On Jan 03, 2019
awesomeJ:

And whom do you think you are to judge? 'I judged him not guilty'. funny.

you could have said ' I didn't think of him as guilty' or 'in my opinion, I'd say he isn't guilty'

You sometimes think too highly of yourself than you ought to. That's something the Christian faith would have fixed up in you.

That's exactly what he was trying to achieve with that statement. Your head is so far up your religious ass that u no longer even recognise humor. I feel sorry for u.

Just look at how u are frothing at the mouth over a simple joke. He wasn't judging he was just using humor to say he understood the cheating man's position. Religion is not only robbing u guys of your mental faculties. It has started robbing u of your sense of humour too. Sorry. Go and drink some water.

3 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by Judybash93(m): 2:41am On Sep 20, 2020
iceboy4752:

Do atheists view extra-marital affairs as wrong, and do they marry more than one partner?
Based on the fact that two people have agreed to be in a committed relationship. It's contractual and if one party decides to break the rule, fine, then can settle it their own way.
Re: Do Atheists Have Marriage Rites? by orisa37: 7:21am On Sep 20, 2020
Freedom of Associations is also a Fundamental Human Right. And on that, SODOM AND GOMORRAH WAS FIRED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why A Christian Can Not Suffer Mental Illness Or Run Mad / Which Country Has The Highest Number Of Fake Pastors In The World? / Why Did Judas Iscariot Betray Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.