Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,342 members, 7,853,523 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:25 PM

A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian (2111 Views)

How Do We Identify A Righteous Person? / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival / Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 30, 2018
There are many wicked christians.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 01, 2019
No doubt!
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by crafteck(m): 8:02am On Jan 01, 2019
Originakalokalo:

Deep.

True.

Knowledge.

Wrong
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Originakalokalo(m): 10:44am On Jan 01, 2019
crafteck:

Wrong

OK.

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by toyosi20188(m): 11:01am On Jan 01, 2019
Heartbender:
You still don't get. And now that insult is beginning to encroach i'll end my argument like this. You can be morally ok as in the case of the rich man who wanted to follow Jesus, Nicodemus and even one of the foremost disciples during selection stages and still not be righteous. Righteousness is by faith, not works. Saul, the king, lost God's favour because he wanted to please men (works, morality) not God (obedience to His word, faith
Seconded.

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Primesky(m): 11:05am On Jan 01, 2019
Sorry, an atheist and a pegan can not be righteous. Righteousness is a gift of God to man through Christ Jesus. So both a wicked Christian and an atheist are alike. Non of these two can enter heaven. That's the crux of the matter.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 01, 2019
Primesky:
Sorry, an atheist and a pegan can not be righteous. Righteousness is a gift of God to man through Christ Jesus. So both a wicked Christian and an atheist are alike. Non of these two can enter heaven. That's the crux of the matter.
It's fair enough that we can at least agree on the fact that a Christian can be wicked.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Primesky(m): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2019
jesusjnr:
It's fair enough that we can at least agree on the fact that a Christian can be wicked.

If Christianity means being like Jesus Christ, then someone who so professes to be a Christian, and is wicked, is not genuine.

Today we have voodoo priest parading about as pastors. So, when I say 'a wicked christain', I'm actually talking about the tongue talking Christain, not the born again'. A born again cannot be wicked. All born again are Christians, but not all self proclaiming Christians are born again.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by crafteck(m): 2:05pm On Jan 01, 2019
Originakalokalo:

OK.

Christianity, Islam, traditional... All same
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 02, 2019
I know what i'm talking about!
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Originakalokalo(m): 6:25pm On Jan 02, 2019
crafteck:

OK.

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2019
Originakalokalo:

OK.
Not OK! I thought he meant well that I liked his initial post but when I saw his second post I deactivated the like. I know you are trying hard to be peaceful but you don't need to endorse evil in the process.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Originakalokalo(m): 6:35pm On Jan 02, 2019
jesusjnr:
Not OK!

Peace.

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 03, 2019
Let this truth sink in.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 06, 2019
Just in case someone forgot.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 07, 2019
Bam!
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 08, 2019
Preach on preacher!
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 09, 2019
Fire down
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 10, 2019
A wicked christian has nothing
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Anas09: 12:21pm On Jan 10, 2019
A Righteous atheist and a righteous pagan? Do you know what righteousness is? And, can we become righteous outside of Christ? Righteousness is inputted upon us, how then can a devil worshipper be righteous, talk more of becoming more righteous than a Christian?

You see, i dey watch you dey make stupid and unscriptural submissions everywhere here, one day like Frosbel did, you go get up and begin to scream 'There's no God'. When you depend on yourself for everything, a day will come that you'd really need Him, he won't answer you, that is when He'll cease to exist.

Read your Bible and follow the Holy Spirit. Stop talking anyhow.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Anas09: 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2019
crafteck:

I think there is. A pagan can have a loving heart, a Christian might be heartless
What is Love?
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by PastorAIO: 7:01pm On Jan 10, 2019
Mobilia:

Also...when God sent Jonah to preach at Nineveh (to Jonah's disgust and unwillingness at first), God did so...in order to "save" the people. They were wicked and God in His infinite compassion and mercy, was trying to save them. He wasn't trying to save them so they could continue in their sins...but so they could repent and be changed.
They repented and weren't destroyed.
They changed their wicked ways, so it's safe to deduce that they began serving the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob at that point.
He makes it clear that He's calling ALL people to repentance...and a turning back to Him in order to be saved eternally.
Anyhow, it's called an "oxymoron" to call an atheist/pagan "righteous"...
The very essence of "righteousness" is God...so if they don't believe in Him..then it's impossible for them to attain that characteristic.
Also ...what barometer would non-believers use...since "morality" is based on God's "10" commandments.
No one would know "right" from "wrong" if it hadn't been laid out for us in the beginning of time....
See I get what you are trying to say here, but it's a little jumbled up and can cause confusion.
I hope you are not offended.
The message is that we, Christians, need to live lives acceptable to God because we are called to a higher standard.

The City of Nineveh was the capital city of the Assyrian people. The principal Deity of Nineveh was Ashur. In fact the bible itself tells us that Nineveh was built by Ashur himself.

Ashur left that land, and built Nineveh Genesis 10:11

So bible tells us that they were wicked and Yahwooh was peeved at them. When they repented did they start worshiping Yahwoo? If they did they couldn't have done so for very long because whenever we hear of Assyrian in History there is no mention of their worshiping Yahwooh. They even prospered to the extent of having their own empire and part of their Empire was Israel whom they conquered and took away 10 of the 12 tribes.

jesusjnr:

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people. Proverbs 14:34KJV

Now do you interpret the "righteousness" implied there which exalts a nation as one which cannot be attained without believing or worshipping God?
For if "righteousness" as implied by that saying was not attainable without believing in God, then Nations e.g. Japan, China, India, Singapore, Greece etc. would have never been as exalted as they are today, but would be reproached. But it would instead be a Nation as Nigeria that would be so exalted and not reproached as it currently is.

Because those mentioned exalted nations are not known to believe in God, but pagan worshippers and also atheists. And then you have a nation as Nigeria that almost everything that we do here, there's is the name of God somewhere, with all the churches and mosques that saturates the land, and yet is suffering much reproach.

Because the saying is not believing in God exalts a nation, or not worshipping Him brings reproach to any people, but righteousness and sin respectively. That's why despite not believing in God, righteousness has exalted those pagan nations, but despite believing in God, sin has been a reproach to Nigeria.

When Assyria was so exalted that they conquered Israel I wonder what Deity they were worshiping at that point? Was it Yahwooh, or was it Ashur? Or could Ashur and Yahwoo be the same?

jesusjnr:
So how can you stand right with Jehovah whom you've never seen, without treating your neighbors rightly?

It seems you adamantly want to remain in your deceit.

If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.
1John 4:20
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by PastorAIO: 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2019

This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Virgil. Fresco from the Cathedral of the Annunciation, Moscow.

Virtuous pagan is a concept in Christian theology that addressed the problem of pagans who were never evangelized and consequently during their lifetime had no opportunity to recognize Christ, but nevertheless led virtuous lives, so that it seemed objectionable to consider them damned. It is thus analogous to that of the "righteous gentile" in Judaism and Hanifs in Islam. A modern Catholic rendering of this is known as "Anonymous Christianity" in the theology of Karl Rahner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuous_pagan
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by PastorAIO: 7:15pm On Jan 10, 2019
Primesky:

So a man like yourself who has received this gift of Righteousness, how are your actions different from that of the 'wicked' person? Do you behave differently?

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 11, 2019
Wicked Christians have nothing.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 11, 2019
PastorAIO:

The City of Nineveh was the capital city of the Assyrian people. The principal Deity of Nineveh was Ashur. In fact the bible itself tells us that Nineveh was built by Ashur himself.

Ashur left that land, and built Nineveh Genesis 10:11

So bible tells us that they were wicked and Yahwooh was peeved at them. When they repented did they start worshiping Yahwoo? If they did they couldn't have done so for very long because whenever we hear of Assyrian in History there is no mention of their worshiping Yahwooh. They even prospered to the extent of having their own empire and part of their Empire was Israel whom they conquered and took away 10 of the 12 tribes.

Who is Yahwooh?
Also I'm not understanding what you are trying to say.
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 12, 2019
Final installment of my righteousness/wickedness inequality series coming soon
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 13, 2019
Truth
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by IGOJ(m): 12:45pm On Jan 13, 2019
crafteck:

True!
Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by PastorAIO: 4:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
Mobilia:

Who is Yahwooh?
Also I'm not understanding what you are trying to say.

Yahwooh is the deity of the Hebrews. They spelt his name YHWH so nobody today knows what the vowels between the letters say. Many have tried to guess. Some say YeHoVaH. Some say YaHWeH etc. There is good and compelling reason to believe that the appropriate vowels are actually YaHWooH.

In the book of Jonah, according to you, the people of Nineveh repented and started worshiping Yahwooh, or whatever you want to call the deity of the Hebrews. The point of my post is that there is no historical record of this.

Right from the time of Genesis in the bible we are told that the Principal deity of Nineveh built Nineveh himself. His name was Ashur. And all the way up until the time that the Assyrians (ie the people of Nineveh) conquered Israel they continued to worship Ashur. There is no historical record of them ever worshiping Yahwooh (or whatever you may prefer to call him). Furthermore there is no record of the Assyrians ever being less wicked that they were reputed to be.
They were the nastiest of all empires. They started the practice of relocating entire populations of conquered peoples to become slaves in their land. The Babylonians were even considered nice in contrast to them. They are the ones that destroyed 10 of the 12 tribes of Israel and scattered them to the winds.

None this tallies with your notion that they repented after hearing from Jonah and started worshiping Yahwooh (or whatever you wish to call him).

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 13, 2019
PastorAIO:

Yahwooh is the deity of the Hebrews. They spelt his name YHWH so nobody today knows what the vowels between the letters say. Many have tried to guess. Some say YeHoVaH. Some say YaHWeH etc. There is good and compelling reason to believe that the appropriate vowels are actually YaHWooH.

In the book of Jonah, according to you, the people of Nineveh repented and started worshiping Yahwooh, or whatever you want to call the deity of the Hebrews. The point of my post is that there is no historical record of this.

Right from the time of Genesis in the bible we are told that the Principal deity of Nineveh built Nineveh himself. His name was Ashur. And all the way up until the time that the Assyrians (ie the people of Nineveh) conquered Israel they continued to worship Ashur. There is no historical record of them ever worshiping Yahwooh (or whatever you may prefer to call him). Furthermore there is no record of the Assyrians ever being less wicked that they were reputed to be.
They were the nastiest of all empires. They started the practice of relocating entire populations of conquered peoples to become slaves in their land. The Babylonians were even considered nice in contrast to them. They are the ones that destroyed 10 of the 12 tribes of Israel and scattered them to the winds.

None this tallies with your notion that they repented after hearing from Jonah and started worshiping Yahwooh (or whatever you wish to call him).

Ok..thanks.
I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I still stand by the fact that God wouldn't send a prophet to give a message of repentance to an ignorant people without giving them the better way.
Also the story was a lesson for Jonah as well.
But I will review what you said.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Righteous Atheist/Pagan Is Better Than A Wicked Christian by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 14, 2019
A wicked christian has nothing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Official Release Of The Book Of Universal Truth(doctufos) <pdf Format> / 10 Fallacies Theist and deist Use To Defend The Existence Of God/gods / Why Are Most People Running From Anglican Churches To New Generation Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.