Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? (2441 Views)

TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible? / Who Can Correctly Tell Me Why Jesus Christ Was Tempted And By Who? / TB Joshua Correctly Predicts Russian Plane Crash Of Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2010
Every Christian I meet assures me that they are correctly interpreting the bible with the help of the holy spirit, but when I look around I see christians slandering each other constantly , and cannot come to any sort of agreement in their teaching or doctrines, most sects like to remain adamant  and claim that only they are the correct interprets of the bible or revelation. . . . . .So how do you know which christian correctly interprets the bible?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by cold(m): 9:21pm On Aug 06, 2010
The truth rests on you studying the bible for yourself.But i guess that would be too tough a task for you considering your mind is already made up.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 06, 2010
grin mazaje you want to cause wahala for here abi? every single sect out there think they have the correct interpretation, when i was living in lagos there were about four different churches near my house. While taking evening walks i come across preachers from the various churches each claiming that if i come to their church i am assured heaven lol  grin and when i ask how about the people from the other churches they reply that those ones are misguided, that they are not following the bible correctly (mind you the preachers from the other churches say the same crap about the other churches too),

so at the end of the day the peeps on one side think the others are going to hell, the others say no it is the first set of peeps that are going to hell, if there is a so called judgement day some people are gonna be fcking disappointed, COULD IT BE EVERYBODY? grin

well what do you expect? afterall "IN THE BEGINNING MAN CREATED GOD"!!! cool

nuff said Peace!!
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 06, 2010
Loading°
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2010
cold:

The truth rests on you studying the bible for yourself.But i guess that would be too tough a task for you considering your mind is already made up.
i agree with u 100%. Except one is a novice/slowpoke that just accepts everything thats being given without verifying or evaluating personally.
for an atheist whose mind on God&the bible is made up, this question is absolutely needless&senseless.Except if such enquiry is meant for the consumption of others. Once again, im with cold 100%
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 4:41am On Aug 07, 2010
cold:

Many people do study the bible themselves, and still come out with very different interpretations, so your statement here is moot. . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by noetic16(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2010
mazaje:

Many people do study the bible themselves, and still come out with very different interpretations, so your statement here is moot. . . .

why not ask the author (Holy spirit) to interpret it for you?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by MadMax1(f): 4:30pm On Aug 07, 2010
Er. Because he's an atheist? That's like someone telling you to ask Allah (about whom you are an atheist) to interprete the bible for you.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Rhino3dm: 4:44pm On Aug 07, 2010
^^^ i wanna ask holy spirit too. So which language should i used pls. Honestly not finding it funny anymore.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2010
noetic16:

why not ask the author (Holy spirit) to interpret it for you?

Did you read the OP at all? I said many christians i know have very different views and interpretation of the bible, yet they all claim that they get their interpretation from the holy spirit. . . . . . . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by MadMax1(f): 7:24am On Aug 08, 2010
They have different interpretations. So? Maybe everyone filters stuff, not just the bible, but everything in life, through complicated layers of thought and personal experience. It isn't only the bible people have different perspectives on, depending on who they are. It's not a crime. You aren't a Christian so what is it to you? "Why doesn't God heal amputees? He doesn't heal amputees so He doesn't exist." The World According to Mazaje. Go forth and multiply jor. grin
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by jesus3: 11:34am On Aug 08, 2010
I share the views of mad max,toba&cold.
If explanations are given to the op, it still doesnt change anything. Why?
'Being an atheist, i have been critical of the bible as incorrect&i have said that the God the same bible thats being interpreted by christians differently doesnt exist'
If such is the view of the thread author, this thread is absolutely senseless. IMO
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 1:57pm On Aug 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

They have different interpretations. So? Maybe everyone filters stuff, not just the bible, but everything in life, through complicated layers of thought and personal experience. It isn't only the bible people have different perspectives on, depending on who they are. It's not a crime. You aren't a Christian so what is it to you? "Why doesn't God heal amputees? He doesn't heal amputees so He doesn't exist." The World According to Mazaje. Go forth and multiply jor. grin

The bible is alleged to be different because the people that interpret ALWAYS allude to the holy spirit as their source of guidance, people that read other books do not la claims of understanding or interpretation to any outside influence at all, its only those that read the bible that allude to an external force. . . . .If the holy spirit is true then why all the various conflicting and contradictory interpretations? Take the YEC and the OEC movement, both sincerely believe that their own interpretations is from the holy spirit and is very right. . . . .Does this not show that the holy spirit is just another non existent construct?. . . . .Me believe that people just self project themselves as the holy spirit and give their own opinions and interpretations all the time. . . . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by nopuqeater: 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2010
@Mad Max: « #10 on: Today at 07:24:03 AM »
They have different interpretations. So? Maybe everyone filters stuff, not just the bible, but everything in life, through complicated layers of thought and personal experience. It isn't only the bible people have different perspectives on, depending on who they are. It's not a crime. You aren't a Christian so what is it to you? "Why doesn't God heal amputees? He doesn't heal amputees so He doesn't exist." The World According to Mazaje. Go forth and multiply jor. Grin
I think the different Bibles have different Holy pirits who inspired differently. But what is so amazing about this is less amazing how the "Holy spirit" inspires or get everyone to come out with different meanings of the same Bible! My inference is this: The Holy Spirit who gets the individual reader to come out with different meaning when he/she reads the bible must be working cross purpose to the Holy spirit who inspired the specific Bible read by the reader. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

On a lighter note, how are you Mad Max? How is the family? Long time and I wis you well.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by noetic16(m): 6:53pm On Aug 08, 2010
Mad_Max:

Er. Because he's an atheist? That's like someone telling you to ask Allah (about whom you are an atheist) to interprete the bible for you.

and how is allah related to the bible?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by noetic16(m): 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2010
mazaje:

Did you read the OP at all? I said many christians i know have very different views and interpretation of the bible, yet they all claim that they get their interpretation from the holy spirit. . . . . . . . .

If I say that "mazaje told me he is a dysfunctional person, who is both a fanatic muslim and an ardent atheist"
. . , A. does the fact that I claim to have heard from mazaje, mean that I actually did?
B. does my allegation change/influence the personality of mazaje? the truth about mzaje?

please be objective. . , the fact that people go about lying in the name of the holy spirit. . does not make God less credible. It only reveals the dishonesty of many.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by nopuqeater: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2010
@Noetic16: « #15 on: Today at 06:57:35 PM »
Quote from: mazaje on Yesterday at 08:22:04 PM

[b]If I say tha[/b]t "mazaje told me he is a dysfunctional person, who is both a fanatic muslim and an ardent atheist"
. . , A. does the fact that I claim to have heard from mazaje, mean that I actually did?
The burden is on you. If you did not hear him say it, then you are dishonest man, a cheat, a deceit and a liar. One will wonder what was your object to do so. If you heard from him, then you are correct, even if others assume that you are not. The truth lies in you, if you know it. But certainly, God Knows all truth and Jesus did not know all truth, even among mankind, since he said "The another Comforter will direct you to all truth".

B. does my allegation change/influence the personality of mazaje? the truth about mzaje?
No. But then you may not have known Mazaje's reality.

please be objective. . , the fact that people go about lying in the name of the holy spirit. . does not make God less credible. It only reveals the dishonesty of many.
So the Question still remains unanswered. Maybe because you do not have a single Bible that will satisfy all christians. Have you though about this as the culprit of the confusions?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by noetic16(m): 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Noetic16: « #15 on: Today at 06:57:35 PM »The burden is on you. If you did not hear him say it, then you are dishonest man, a cheat, a deceit and a liar. One will wonder what was your object to do so. If you heard from him, then you are correct, even if others assume that you are not. The truth lies in you, if you know it. But certainly, God Knows all truth and Jesus did not know all truth, even among mankind, since he said "The another Comforter will direct you to all truth".

thank you.

but why cant you apply the above to the many cheats and fraudsters who lie in the name of the holy spirit?

Exactly. . . those who claim to have heard from the holy spirit . , do not know the holy spirit.

So the Question still remains unanswered. Maybe because you do not have a single Bible that will satisfy all christians. Have you though about this as the culprit of the confusions?

no dude. there is no satisfaction in the bible but the WORD. . . . reading the bible without the guidance of the holy spirit is a fruitless exercise. but reading the word of God with the guidance of the holy spirit bears much fruit.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2010
Every christian interprets correctly, and none interprets correctly at the same time. That is the conundrum that is christianity.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Rhino3dm: 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2010
^^^ it always baffle's me how quickly 'holy spirit' guidiance is mention by christains when trap in the closet. I think the 'holy' spirit that inspired bible in the first place is suffering from amnesia. To: mark is red, luke is black, mattew is round, john is square. . . . . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by nopuqeater: 10:50pm On Aug 08, 2010
@Noetic16: « #17 on: Today at 07:57:08 PM »
Quote from: nopuqeater on Today at 07:36:14 PM
@Noetic16: « #15 on: Today at 06:57:35 PM »The burden is on you. If you did not hear him say it, then you are dishonest man, a cheat, a deceit and a liar. One will wonder what was your object to do so. If you heard from him, then you are correct, even if others assume that you are not. The truth lies in you, if you know it. But certainly, God Knows all truth and Jesus did not know all truth, even among mankind, since he said "The another Comforter will direct you to all truth".

thank you.
but why cant you apply the above to the many cheats and fraudsters who lie in the name of the holy spirit?
Point out the fraudster[s] to us. This is your call, your religion.

Exactly. . . those who claim to have heard from the holy spirit . , do not know the holy spirit.
Malaika Jibril is Holy spirit to me (Ruuh Qudus).

no dude. there is no satisfaction in the bible but the WORD. . . . reading the bible without the guidance of the holy spirit is a fruitless exercise. but reading the word of God with the guidance of the holy spirit bears much fruit.
If the Bible is not the WORD OF GOD according to you in above, you being a christian, please sir give me the Name of the Word of God that the Holy Spirit will help me on, since it is not a Bible. Where can I find a copy, since it is not in the hands of the christians who are the holders of the Bibles?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 6:49am On Aug 09, 2010
nopuqeater:

So the copy cat religion of Mohamed also has a holy spirit called Malaika Jibril , eh? Hmmmm wonders shall never end ohhh. . . . . .Plagiarizing religious text is not enough for Mohammed and his deluded followers it seems. . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by aadrSales: 7:21am On Aug 09, 2010
well, the holy spirit knows that we are all different, with different understandings, with different minds, and we do not all understand the same thing at the same day. We have different backgrounds and all that. The bible, says one day we shall come to unity with the same faith.
But I want you to understand that people read the bible with different minds and they interpret the bible with their individual back ground. God understands but he is expecting us to live above that level. Its only a few that understand the things of God above their cultural background or already conditioned-mind. But then, God leads his people from one level to another until we come to one faith.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by MadMax1(f): 7:50am On Aug 09, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Mad Max: « #10 on: Today at 07:24:03 AM »I think the different Bibles have different Holy pirits who inspired differently. But what is so amazing about this is less amazing how the "Holy spirit" inspires or get everyone to come out with different meanings of the same Bible! My inference is this: The Holy Spirit who gets the individual reader to come out with different meaning when he/she reads the bible must be working cross purpose to the Holy spirit who inspired the specific Bible read by the reader. WHAT DO YOU THINK?On a lighter note, how are you Mad Max? How is the family? Long time and I wis you well.

We're fine, thank you. How is yours? I trust they are well?

noetic16:

and how is allah related to the bible?

Exactly.

mazaje:

The bible is alleged to be different because the people that interpret ALWAYS allude to the holy spirit as their source of guidance, people that read other books do not la claims of understanding or interpretation to any outside influence at all, its only those that read the bible that allude to an external force. . . . .If the holy spirit is true then why all the various conflicting and contradictory interpretations? Take the YEC and the OEC movement, both sincerely believe that their own interpretations is from the holy spirit and is very right. . . . .Does this not show that the holy spirit is just another non existent construct?. . . . .Me believe that people just self project themselves as the holy spirit and give their own opinions and interpretations all the time. . . . . .

Do you have a thing for recycled argument? Will anything do, as long as you get to sound like a vaguely disgruntled atheist? It's like your own remixed version of The Who song: Meet the Old Discussion, Same as the New Discussion. You've got tons of good stuff. Spill that.
In practice Islam has little in common with Christianity and Judaism. It's something of a huge leap to decide references to a few biblical characters in the Quoran makes of the religion itself a plagiarised thing. It's not. There's much in the Quoran that is fresh and new, and much in ancient Islamic religious thought modern Christian and Judaist thought can't rival. Buddhism has something to say about biblical characters. There are all these complicated religious treatises. By your lights, that must mean modern Buddism is a plagiarised religion as well.  
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by noetic16(m): 2:31pm On Aug 09, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Noetic16: « #17 on: Today at 07:57:08 PM »Point out the fraudster[s] to us. This is your call, your religion.

Thats not my prerogative.

quite dumb. if jubril is the holy spirit, what are the other angels? are they "naughty" spirits?

If the Bible is not the WORD OF GOD according to you in above, you being a christian, please sir give me the Name of the Word of God that the Holy Spirit will help me on, since it is not a Bible. Where can I find a copy, since it is not in the hands of the christians who are the holders of the Bibles?

read my post again,
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2010
Honestly, reading the Bible is one thing, Understanding it is another and deriving Wisdom to interpret it the way it is, is a whole new ball of wax grin

I have read the Bible through and through thanks to cramming for WASC CRK in the late 80s grin. I have studied the Bible for spiritual insight and personal satisfaction and I find the following to be true

1: Many Interpret the most simplest and plain of instructions (that require no further interpretation)
2: Many Interpret the Bible to suit their own personal expectations not God's divine presentation.
3: When the message is lost to interpretation, then it becomes a divine Mystery; Never to be Understood but continually accepted
4: Jesus used parables and proverbs to teach mostly illiterate masses, no doubt the meaning and value of his teachings were not lost to the discerning and educated of his time. so why do we have a problem interpreting a message that was propagated to the Masses in simple language.
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by Tudor6(f): 4:38pm On Aug 09, 2010
Mad_Max:

We're fine, thank you. How is yours? I trust they are well?

Exactly.

Do you have a thing for recycled argument? Will anything do, as long as you get to sound like a vaguely disgruntled atheist? It's like your own remixed version of The Who song: Meet the Old Discussion, Same as the New Discussion. You've got tons of good stuff. Spill that.
In practice Islam has little in common with Christianity and Judaism. It's something of a huge leap to decide references to a few biblical characters in the Quoran makes of the religion itself a plagiarised thing. It's not. There's much in the Quoran that is fresh and new, and much in ancient Islamic religious thought modern Christian and Judaist thought can't rival. Buddhism has something to say about biblical characters. There are all these complicated religious treatises. By your lights, that must mean modern Buddism is a plagiarised religion as well.  

Can you please explain to us in detail what buhddism has to say about biblical characters??
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 8:53pm On Aug 09, 2010
^^

Seconded, I want to know what Buddhism has to say about biblical characters. . . . . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by 5solas(m): 11:34pm On Aug 09, 2010
mazaje:

Every Christian I meet assures me that they are correctly interpreting the bible with the help of the holy spirit, but when I look around I see christians slandering each other constantly , and cannot come to any sort of agreement in their teaching or doctrines, most sects like to remain adamant  and claim that only they are the correct interprets of the bible or revelation. . . . . .So how do you know which christian correctly interprets the bible?

Well Mazaje, in MHO, it would be the protestants, to be precise, the reformers (Calvinists). Read articles by the reformers, find out in particular what happened, before, during and immediately after[b] the synod of dordt.[/b]
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by PastorAIO: 8:19am On Aug 10, 2010
What is an interpretion? And secondly, what constitutes a Proper interpretation?
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by mazaje(m): 5:13pm On Aug 10, 2010
5solas:

Well Mazaje, in MHO, it would be the protestants, to be precise, the reformers (Calvinists). Read articles by the reformers, find out in particular what happened, before, during and immediately after[b] the synod of dordt.[/b]

The protestants are the most polarized group in Christianity today, the division in that particular body is just too much. . . . . . . .
Re: Who Can Correctly Say Which Christians Properly Interpret The Bible? by blackcypha(m): 4:20am On Aug 11, 2010
IMHO, nobody can cuz the only logical probability is that they r all misinterpreting it,
after all, the bible was written by different men NOT BY GOD HIMSELF for which it would have been consistent with everything in
nature and will require no FAITH to believe in it as it will be so EVIDENTIALLY CONSISTENT WITH EVERY LAW MAN WILL EVER THINK OR DREAM OF.
MAZAJE WASUP?
LONG TYME!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will There Be Food In Heaven? / What Is The Theme Of 2015 In Your Church / (video) Undeniable Proof That Jesus Christ Was Not Born On December 25th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.