Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189721 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Yemsot: 8:41pm On Apr 13, 2019
Guitarlife:

grin grin The irony of it all, if Naija education was any good as you claim. You would not have a need to flee your own country when we are not at war. 99% of those who ran the country to the ground schooled in Nigeria and I dont think its gonna get better.

So the fact you are on this thread shows that Nigerian educational system is trash, how can you even argue this ? Our country cannot even produce but only imports toothpicks, toothpick !!! and you are here arguing based on sentiments... grin grin grin grin

one thing I have come to understand is that most people love to live in denial. You claim that the Nigerian educcational system is not a failed system, but it is a failed system. You cannot compare the content of most programs in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the western world. It is what I have experienced. We are made to study under pressure. And majority of those contents are outdated. Whether you like it or not our educational system has failed woefully.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 8:49pm On Apr 13, 2019
Yemsot:

one thing I have come to understand is that most people love to live in denial. You claim that the Nigerian educcational system is not a failed system, but it is a failed system. You cannot compare the content of most programs in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the western world. It is what I have experienced. We are made to study under pressure. And majority of those contents are outdated. Whether you like it or not our educational system has failed worfully.

Be careful what you say, especially online. It's still the same education that produce graduates, granted access to schools & EE without discrimination, we are the ones that will condemn ourselves and cause others to start raising eyebrows and discriminating against us, is this what you want?. Like others have said, medical doctors/nurses, IT graduates from Nigerian universities easily get jobs abroad

Correct your spelling, the word is "woefully"

21 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olioxx(m): 8:52pm On Apr 13, 2019
Yemsot:
You claim that the Nigerian educcational system is not a failed system, but it is a failed system. It is what I have experienced. We are made to study under pressure. And majority of those contents are outdated. Whether you like it or not our educational system has failed worfully.
If the Nigerian educational system has screwed you up, pls do speak for yourself.
The Nigerian educational system has helped me BIG TIME.
Our Anambra girls and boys won International Awards while still schooling in Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 8:57pm On Apr 13, 2019
Ugosample:

I'm talking about the system not the student

A good student is a good student

Whether from a useful or a useless educational system.

So don't attribute the success to the use less curriculum they learnt from

attribute the success to their dogged spirit and studious disposition

A good student in a bad system can't succeed, there has to be an enabling environment for such to happen. Those kids have made us proud. Ugo, have you finally decided to leave Abidjan for Canada or did you jump in here to spread your hate speech as usual? cheesy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olioxx(m): 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2019
My Physics teacher taught me Python2x while in SS2. After that he decided to teach us VisualBasic6.0. Fast forward, he started teaching us algorithm during Physics class. I started using VB to write calculators program on my PC during SS3.
I previously work as a financial sec at a Sec school, but resigned due to poor salary structure.
I then fell back on the programming skills I had acquired from my Physics teacher, and that is what is paying the bills.
Today I am a proud self taught developer all thanks to my Physics teacher.
You choose to utilize what is avialable to you WELL.
Nigerian educational system has helped me back 2 back.

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 9:14pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mizwisdom:

A good student in a bad system can't succeed, there has to be an enabling environment for such to happen. Those kids have made us proud. Ugo, have you finally decided to leave Abidjan for Canada or did you jump in here to spread your hate speech as usual? cheesy

I'm currently in Dakar briefly sha

but my Abidjan too sweet

BUT

I have been thinking sha; just maybe I should try this express entry thing.

But I'm not desperate to because I'm happy with my current life /base

but like I said, we have a FAILED AND USELESS EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

it's clear to everyone

How msny international students do we attract?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Be careful what you say, especially online. It's still the same education that produce graduates, granted access to schools & EE without discrimination, we are the ones that will condemn ourselves and cause others to start raising eyebrows and discriminating against us, is this what you want?. Like others have said, medical doctors/nurses, IT graduates from Nigerian universities are sort after abroad.

Remove the plank in your eye before talking about the speck in another persons eye.
The word is "sought". grin grin

57 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 9:15pm On Apr 13, 2019
olioxx:
My Physics teacher taught me Python2x while in SS2. After that he decided to teach us VisualBasic6.0. Fast forward, he started teaching us algorithm during Physics class. I started using VB to write calculators program on my PC during SS3.
I previously work as a financial sec at a Sec school, but resigned due to poor salary structure.
I then fell back on the programming skills I had acquired from my Physics teacher, and that is what is paying the bills.

like I said to the other guy

people like your physics teacher are the "outliers"

the system is failed and rotten

You can make the best of the unfortunate circumstance

but it does not change anything

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 13, 2019
olioxx:

If the Nigerian educational system has screwed you up, pls do speak for yourself.
The Nigerian educational system has helped me BIG TIME.
Our Anambra girls and boys won International Awards while still schooling in Nigeria.
Have you ever heard the word "outliers" in statistics ?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 9:19pm On Apr 13, 2019
Ugosample:

I'm currently in Dakar briefly sha

but my Abidjan too sweet

BUT

I have been thinking sha; just maybe I should try this express entry thing.

But I'm not desperate to because I'm happy with my current life /base

but like I said, we have a FAILED AND USELESS EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM

it's clear to everyone

How msny international students do we attract?

Try it, you might find peace of mind, I know for now you're still restless, you haven't found where you belong smiley
as you keep spreading your hate speech... it's not a sign of happiness. My school was good though it's unfortunate that yours was useless lol

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olioxx(m): 9:19pm On Apr 13, 2019
Guitarlife:
Have you ever heard the word "outliers" in statistics ?
. . Do you mean something that stands out? . . Can you tell me more about this?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 9:23pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Try it, you might find peace of mind, I know for now you're still restless, you haven't found where you belong smiley
as you keep spreading your hate speech... it's not a sign of happiness. My school was good though it's unfortunate that yours was useless lol

cheesy cheesy

I have heard

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by fizzile(m): 9:24pm On Apr 13, 2019
newbie18:
Hello guys!
I just realized that this thread has reached part Two (Covers face).
Please I will like some expert advise.
I have been in Canada for 6 months as a PR and will like to get advise on the best way to go about bringing my fiancee from Naija.
What I have planned is to visit Naija in like 3rd or 4th Quarter and get married legally. Afterwards I apply for Spousal sponsorship. However, the processing time (Of 1 year) is too much to spend another winter without her in my duvet. Please what can do to hasten her coming. She does not have a Masters to boost her CRS points, so applying for Express Entry does not seem feasible for now.
Thanks guys
Guys please can some persons share some info on the bolded please? Some of us are interested in some responses regarding this. Thanks

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 9:24pm On Apr 13, 2019
olioxx:
This is the exception not the rule.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 13, 2019
olioxx:

Do you mean something that stands out?
Can you tell me more about this?
It simply means in a sample there will be some datapoints that lie way out of the normal distribution curve, when making assumption(like you are doing now) about that population you do everything to mitigate the effect they have on the measures of central tendency because they give a false impression and tend to skew the result.

In layman terms, how can you take 5 people out of millions and conclude that those 5 people are a true representation of the population.
Does that make any sense at all ?

I do not know these guys but I can guaranteee you their education is connected in some way to the WEst.
Reminds me of Nigerias National basket ball team, its just a group of failed basketballers based in the USA and had some remote connection to Nigeria but could not make it into the USA team.

Does their performance in competitions say the truth about the real level of the game of basket ball in Nigeria ?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mrhumandelis: 9:26pm On Apr 13, 2019
The filter is not for the hard water...filter does nothing for hard water...it's possible the water may be highly chlorinated. This is when it affects your skin (it would itch) etc....not the hardness

ceemac:

Hard water may not be totally unhealthy, researches have it that it complicates or exasperates some health conditions such as Diabetes, Cancer, Cardio vascular diseases and some more. Not the best also for skin and hair. My ‘canadian’ landlord by himself advised me against drinking it and suggested I rather buy a filter to ameliorate the condition or I settle for bottled water
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by princesschuks: 9:42pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Be careful what you say, especially online. It's still the same education that produce graduates, granted access to schools & EE without discrimination, we are the ones that will condemn ourselves and cause others to start raising eyebrows and discriminating against us, is this what you want?. Like others have said, medical doctors/nurses, IT graduates from Nigerian universities are sort after abroad.

Correct yourself too. It's "sought after"

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 9:53pm On Apr 13, 2019
fizzile:
Guys please can some persons share some info on the bolded please? Some of us are interested in some responses regarding this. Thanks

Return to Nigeria, marry your fiancee and apply for spousal visa( or equivalent) for her. Family sponsorship is not available here as she has no ties with you ( courtship is not enough to suffice for family ties ) OR

Marry her in Nigeria, then do the family sponsorship ( takes up to a year for this)

She does her EE process as single, enters Canada and marry. This will require lots of time and money.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 55emem55: 9:59pm On Apr 13, 2019
Nigerian education is good, it took me a DAMN 6 months before ECA could be processed. Did you also know some universities are currently on strike?

Nigerian education is good, but the 'elites' are sending their kids to study abroad in droves.

Nigerian education is good, 15million children are out of school.

Nigerian education is good, ASUU goes on strike INDEFINITELY!

Nigerian education is good, people apply for a 4 years course but graduate after 7 years.

But why are we so mediocre in thinking? Why do we romanticise poor infrastructure? As Nigerians, we are made to work under the MOST strenuous of environments, doesn't mean its the norm.

It is not to be argued, our Education system is not anywhere close to the top 100 in the world. If you doubt, use Google for further research.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
*goes back into reading mode*

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 10:27pm On Apr 13, 2019
Guitarlife:

Remove the plank in your eye before talking about the speck in another persons eye.
The word is "sought". grin grin

Thanks. Done wink the other bloke hasn't corrected his yet, maybe you should call him out too cheesy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 13, 2019
Please guys, let's be serious here.

What's all these discussions about the education in Nigeria? It's shit! This is general knowledge naaa abi are we here to grandstand (Let me know if I missed the memo)? For anyone who has schooled outside the shores of Nigeria, this should be an easy conclusion to arrive at. If you haven't, then it may be difficult for you to make any comparisons.

Are Nigerians smart and intelligent? Absolutely, Yes!
Are Nigerians able to recover and compete favourably when they find themselves in a better environment? Oh, sure as hell! We can be quite tenacious as a people.

Where's Olajide and his beautiful pictures grin when we need him/one? May I ask that you help us with pictures of any Library in Canada, so that we can quit these discussions on education in a country where there are no functional libraries.

Guitarlife, this is a good time to drop that your landing gist, biko nu.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by BusinessHub1: 10:49pm On Apr 13, 2019
This forum has “education” section please, the argument can continue there. Here the topic of discussion is clearly about the living condition of those that successfully migrated to Canada please,thanks guys.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abnot: 11:06pm On Apr 13, 2019
55emem55:
Nigerian education is good, it took me a DAMN 6 months before ECA could be processed. Did you also know some universities are currently on strike?

Nigerian education is good, but the 'elites' are sending their kids to study abroad in droves.

Nigerian education is good, 15million children are out of school.

Nigerian education is good, ASUU goes on strike INDEFINITELY!

Nigerian education is good, people apply for a 4 years course but graduate after 7 years.

But why are we so mediocre in thinking? Why do we romanticise poor infrastructure? As Nigerians, we are made to work under the MOST strenuous of environments, doesn't mean its the norm.

It is not to be argued, our Education system is not anywhere close to the top 100 in the world. If you doubt, use Google for further research.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
*goes back into reading mode*
Not everyone will understand you till they experience something different . I believe Nigerian educational system is terrible and is a likely cause of this mindset of stress being looked upon as normal. Globally policy makers continue to make life more and more conducive for its inhabitants but the reverse is the case in Nigeria with many believing you have to go through a lot of physical and mental stress To become successful. Have a taste of university education in the west and you’ll never think of making comparison with what is obtainable in Nigeria .

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 11:27pm On Apr 13, 2019
Chei God see my life. Small play I play my name don't full everywhere. Abeg it haff do na, this attempt at matchmaking has become stressful which shouldn't be, seeing as the comment was made to be taken as a joke. Thanks in advance for putting an end to it, and for being an adult about it.

bLacKGoLd3:
Please
guys, let's be serious here.

What's all these discussions about the education in Nigeria? It's shit! This is general knowledge naaa abi are we here to grandstand (Let me know if I missed the memo)? For anyone who has schooled outside the shores of Nigeria, this should be an easy conclusion to arrive at. If you haven't, then it may be difficult for you to make any comparisons.

Are Nigerians smart and intelligent? Absolutely, Yes!
Are Nigerians able to recover and compete favourably when they find themselves in a better environment? Oh, sure as hell! We can be quite tenacious as a people.

Where's Olajide and his beautiful pictures grin when we need him/one? May I ask that you help us with pictures of any Library in Canada, so that we can quit these discussions on education in a country where there are no functional libraries.

Guitarlife, this is a good time to drop that your landing gist, biko nu. And have you met Sister Bracha? grin

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 13, 2019
Bracha:
Chris God see my life. Small play I play my name don't full everywhere. Abeg it haff do na, this attempt at matchmaking has become stressful which shouldn't be, seeing as the comment was made to be taken as a joke. Thanks in advance for putting an end to it, and for being an adult about it.

Oh, my bad and sincere apologies.
I thought the emoticon would show that I was only messing around.

Post edited.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 12:52am On Apr 14, 2019
Una can argue sha...

Time na money for this country oh grin

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 1:55am On Apr 14, 2019
Ugosample:

I repeat
the educational system is USELESS and lack merit

All what you have up there are what we call in statistics "outliers"

What is the quality of the content dished out by the joke we call schools in NIGERIA?

What of the research work?

And mind you, the educational system has been decaying for decades upon decades which means that the educational state now is worse than it was 10 years back, which in turn was worse than it was 20 years back

So calling a Soyinka or whatever invalidates your point

the few who are good from Nigeria in the real sense of it are good because of extreme personal effort, not because of what the educational system has to offer

when one id good and determined, he strives to be better
That has nothing to do with the use less curriculum.

so don't mix it up, I know what I'm saying

You can kindly return all the certificates the Nigerian system gave you and see how you can apply for express Entry Na.. Oga statistics.. Speak for yourself..

If the so called Western Education is the best, I can see how the lacuna for professionals have been created by the seemingly best education that they are now soliciting international professionals to fill the spaces!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by BusinessHub1: 2:39am On Apr 14, 2019
ceemac:

You can kindly return all the certificates the Nigerian system gave you and see how you can apply for express Entry Na.. Oga statistics.. Speak for yourself..

If the so called Western Education is the best, I can see how the lacuna for professionals have been created by the seemingly best education that they are now soliciting international professionals to fill the spaces!
Bush argument!

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 2:40am On Apr 14, 2019
ceemac:

EE has nothing to do with quality of education.

If our education was good, why are you migrating to Canada?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 2:47am On Apr 14, 2019
AZeD1:

EE has nothing to do with quality of education.

If our education was good, why are you migrating to Canada?

I love Nigeria, I miss those days I stay under some cool breezy dusk with those local pots of full catfish and mortuary standard drinks doing it in the African way.. Nigeria gave me all I require for survival, what I needed at the times and for the fact that I am a global citizen, I had to embark on adventure, it could be the Kenyan Safaris soonest! This is me just globetrotting!

Thank God y’all weren’t born Canadians, y’all would have have been very mean supremacists!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 2:48am On Apr 14, 2019
maziude:
Una can argue sha...

Time na money for this country oh grin

Too many shifts dey kill oo.. It’s weekend after all!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 2:51am On Apr 14, 2019
abnot:

Not everyone will understand you till they experience something different . I believe Nigerian educational system is terrible and is a likely cause of this mindset of stress being looked upon as normal. Globally policy makers continue to make life more and more conducive for its inhabitants but the reverse is the case in Nigeria with many believing you have to go through a lot of physical and mental stress To become successful. Have a taste of university education in the west and you’ll never think of making comparison with what is obtainable in Nigeria .

Aunty Western Education, some of us have had the grace to study on both divides.. Its easier in the so call ‘West’ with max of 4 courses per semester!

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77