Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189951 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 4:33pm On May 26, 2019
AZeD1:

There's a limit to the amount you can put in your RRSP and TFSA and if you go over the limit, you will be penalized.

You will only know your limit after filling your taxes.
could you please explain further ?And what one should do instead
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SixSigma1(m): 6:20pm On May 26, 2019
iaatmguy:
could you please explain further ?And what one should do instead
Thanks.

When it comes to RRSP and TFSA, there are so much to talk about that it will take too much time and effort to do.

As a summary, your RRSP contribution limit is the lesser of:

• 18% of your earned income in the previous year, and
• Dollar limit that the government determines and publishes every year.

See the link here for the limit up to 2019: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/registered-plans-administrators/pspa/mp-rrsp-dpsp-tfsa-limits-ympe.html

As, for TFSA, the current annual limit for 2019 is $6000. See this link for the limit for previous years: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/tax-free-savings-account/contributions.html

Like I mentioned earlier, there is so much to know about RRSP and TFSA than what can be put here. So, my recommendation to you is just to google RRSP and also TFSA to read and familiarize yourself with what they are and how they work.

Hope this helps.

24 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GloShare(m): 6:47pm On May 26, 2019
AZeD1:

There's a limit to the amount you can put in your RRSP and TFSA and if you go over the limit, you will be penalized.

You will only know your limit after filling your taxes.

More so, RRSP funds are taxed when you eventually withdraw the savings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drcynthia(f): 6:53pm On May 26, 2019
Good day all, pls with regards to Ethiopian airline, the 10kg allocated to infant ticket, is the 10kg for carry on into the airplane or with other luggages?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by coolhayor: 10:52pm On May 26, 2019
Ask sir/ma

docsaj:
Hello e-fam, I would appreciate if any one in Winnipeg can assist with some questions i have abt life there. Hope to arrive for studies this fall. Pls holla if you're in Winnipeg, gracias!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by coolhayor: 11:09pm On May 26, 2019
dislat:
I will be landing on June 14, anyone with accommodation in Winnipeg that can be of help? God bless

Are u looking for someone to help you secure an accommodation or someone you wanna stay with?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bettybeauty: 5:38am On May 27, 2019
@Sixsigma1, please is the six sigma black belt training you promised to take landed immigrants in Calgary still running? Please I am very much interested in this training. Sent u a PM already but not gotten any response from you. TIA
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eddy4400: 8:23am On May 27, 2019
Thanks for the feedback

threadstone:

I’m not sure if they have to. My spouse didn’t but again, My application was during the pre-biometrics era.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ADEBOSUN(m): 12:44pm On May 27, 2019
Toronto people....I'm landing in 1st week of August and I'm hoping to attend Access Employment 1 month classes. Any landed person who has a room to sublet, please let's connect.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slimlanre: 6:02pm On May 27, 2019
Hello, is there an alternative way to reach you? I couldn't send you a PM for some reason.

Thanks!

Tone23:
Hello again Alberta folks!

Shaw Promo for Internet is still available as follows:

Internet 300 (300 Mbps speed and unlimited data}

$38/month - 1st year
$53/month - 2nd year
Plus a $250 credit which more or less translates to about 6 months of payment-free service!

Anyone interested can contact me. This particular offer runs till 31st, May.
Cheers!

P.S - I believe I've responded to all PM's sent to me by those interested in the offer. Just in case I missed yours and you didn't get any feedback from me, you may please re-send it ASAP!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 7:12pm On May 27, 2019
19CannyMum:

I believe they mean 'living condition'

Gotchu. I think living condition will depend on how much money you have disposable. If youre in a program and you having your living funds of 10k at your disposal , you'll live ok in a lot of cities. If you get a part time job and or work full time in the summer to augment you'll certainly be comfortable almost everywhere.

On the other hand if you are trying to make money for tuition and living expenses on the fly(while studying) that is a herculean task because you can only work 20hrs / wk during school. This is the situation a lot of international students have found themselves in at one point or another and its truly difficult
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 27, 2019
slimlanre:
Hello, is there an alternative way to reach you? I couldn't send you a PM for some reason.

Thanks!

I guess there must have been a slight delay in transmission as the PM eventually dropped. It was nice discussing with you eventually!

Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by texas1(m): 8:09pm On May 27, 2019
@einsteino
Pls check the link again

einsteino:
If you would like to join a whatsapp group for Engineering professionals hoping to land or already in Ontario, here is the link: https:///JVJBD8D8jfq1Yf80ZG9CFK.

The idea is to share knowledge on licensing, upskilling, in-demand specialty areas, failed pursuits, what we should have done differently and our experiences as it relates to job hunting and how we have managed so far.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 8:49pm On May 27, 2019
texas1:
@einsteino
Pls check the link again

Turns out Nairaland is censoring whatsapp links. The script on NL, erases chaRt.whatsapp.com ... I had to add "R" in chat so it even appears. so you could copy it and take out the R in chat or simply send me a pm.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 27, 2019
einsteino:

Turns out Nairaland is censoring whatsapp links. The script on NL, erases chaRt.whatsapp.com ... I had to add "R" in chat so it even appears. so you could copy it and take out the R in chat or simply send me a pm.

Please can one be created for bankers or financial professionals
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 9:05pm On May 27, 2019
canadaman18:

Gotchu. I think living condition will depend on how much money you have disposable. If youre in a program and you having your living funds of 10k at your disposal , you'll live ok in a lot of cities. If you get a part time job and or work full time in the summer to augment you'll certainly be comfortable almost everywhere.

On the other hand if you are trying to make money for tuition and living expenses on the fly(while studying) that is a herculean task because you can only work 20hrs / wk during school. This is the situation a lot of international students have found themselves in at one point or another and its truly difficult

@alliance01
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 9:05pm On May 27, 2019
pyruvateluv:

Please can one be created for bankers or financial professionals
I guess one may already exist, you could ask people in your field.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 9:08pm On May 27, 2019
einsteino:

Next time just drop the link raw. Anyone who wants to access it should quote your message. Once in quote mode the real link will show.

NB: if you quote and then publish it will still scramble again. Just quote and copy the link. Don't publish.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 9:11pm On May 27, 2019
19CannyMum:

Next time just drop the link raw. Anyone who wants to access it should quote your message. Once in quote mode the real link will show.

NB: if you quote and then publish it will still scramble again. Just quote and copy the link. Don't publish.

Thanks for the tip. Though I think not everyone would be savvy enough to think towards the quote & appear trick, so it's much more intuitive to just have them copy and leave out the R.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 9:39pm On May 27, 2019
Crazy how time flies. Today marks 13years since I joined NL. NL threads helped me sharpen my programming skills as a teen, I brainstormed browsing cheats & loopholes with friends made on NL, got my former Project Engineer job via NL, got to Canny via NL threads. Wetin remain na to marry @seun sister grin
Funny how a childhood activity imparted my life in more ways than I could have imagined. I really should celeberate children's day �

On a serious note, many thanks to @Seun (even though seun dey cash out steady), the mods esp @justwise and the several awesome people who post useful content that makes this site valuable. This former ugly website(e still ugly small) seems to have brought so much beauty and shine into my dull life. Though there is still lots of room for improvement as it hasn't evolved as much as one would expect.

103 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by XX01(f): 11:03am On May 28, 2019
drcynthia:
Good day all, pls with regards to Ethiopian airline, the 10kg allocated to infant ticket, is the 10kg for carry on into the airplane or with other luggages?

1 box of 10kg checked in luggage.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bettybeauty: 3:15pm On May 28, 2019
Your infant is entitled to a 23kg bag and a diaper bag.
drcynthia:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drcynthia(f): 5:04pm On May 28, 2019
XX01:

1 box of 10kg checked in luggage.
Thank you....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drcynthia(f): 5:05pm On May 28, 2019
Bettybeauty:
Your infant is entitled to a 23kg bag and a diaper bag.
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 28, 2019
Kindly clear me on this pls,

I realized that rent in Canada which have 800Cad per month tag doesn't really mean u only pay that per month. Some demand for 6months down payment of that price while other 12months.

Does it mean one can't be paying on monthly basis as indicated. Secondly some of the house found on Kijiji are not furnished and still has a price tag as high as 1200Cad. Pls help me solve this puzzle as I need to know what measures to take in securing an apartment in Saskatoon especially when I land. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by snoop4dem: 5:30pm On May 28, 2019
lolz ! I think you are likely being scammed if anyone tells you this. To the best of my knowledge:
Rent is due on the first day of each month
Your Landlord can ask for Post dated cheques for a full year matching the 1st of each successive month depending on agreement but you dont pay for more than a month at a time. orally, legally and in all areas it is wrong and most probably scam.
Most apartments dont come furnished (Bedding, iron, etc) .They only have the basics. Fridge, hot stove or cooker, etc also depending on place. That doesn't take away the fact that you might find some places actually furnished with beddings and everything you need.I will recommend trying to find a friend you can stay with first; or book and Airbnb for a start if you dont know anyone while you try to look for a place yourself when you re on ground
Folafikemi:
Kindly clear me on this pls,

I realized that rent in Canada which have 800Cad per month tag doesn't really mean u only pay that per month. Some demand for 6months down payment of that price while other 12months.

Does it mean one can't be paying on monthly basis as indicated. Secondly some of the house found on Kijiji are not furnished and still has a price tag as high as 1200Cad. Pls help me solve this puzzle as I need to know what measures to take in securing an apartment in Saskatoon especially when I land. Thanks

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 28, 2019
snoop4dem:
lolz ! I think you are likely being scammed if anyone tells you this. To the best of my knowledge:
Your Landlord can ask for Post dated cheques for a full year matching the 1st of each successive month depending on agreement but you dont pay for more than a month at a time. orally, legally and in all areas it is wrong and most probably scam.
Most apartments dont come furnished (Bedding, iron, etc) .They only have the basics. Fridge, hot stove or cooker, etc also depending on place. That doesn't take away the fact that you might find some places actually furnished with beddings and everything you need.I will recommend trying to find a friend you can stay with first; or book and Airbnb for a start if you dont know anyone while you try to look for a place yourself when you re on ground

Thanks a lot brother. God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 5:53pm On May 28, 2019
snoop4dem:
Some Landlord actually ask for proof of employment/ Guarantor before they let out to you, most new comers don't have either so people tend to pay 3/4 months rents since they can't provide the documentation.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: sisit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.