Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2190844 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MightyFortress: 7:32pm On Jun 02, 2019
Issyman:
[b]WHAT ARE SOME SUPER PRACTICAL THINGS ONE NEEDS TO DO IN THEIR FIRST 30 DAYS IN CANADA.[/b

Here are 27 things you should do, in no particular order:

Get your OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) sorted out. Or the health plan of which ever province you are moving to. Note that it takes at least 3 months to get it so you may consider getting private insurance while you wait.
Get your driving license. Hire a private driving instructor to train you, even if you have decades of experience. Road rules are different here (sometimes weird)
Research the best schools in your city and enroll your kids. is trusted with their annual school rankings report.
Get a Presto card for commuting while you get your license sorted out. You can use it on local transit and GO trains and buses. Tap on and off you go.
Understand how price matching at groceries works and start doing it. You will experience very quickly that customer service in Canada rocks! And it’s a shame to see how some people abuse it.
Get a membership at COSTCO. Big savings on bulk grocery shopping. Helpful for big and small families. Just make sure you have cleared out some space for those massive jars and containers.
Open up a bank account. RBC have a great newcomers deal where they patiently explain the whole process and new banking terminology to you (“Fixed Deposits” are called “Guaranteed Investment Certificates” for example). TD bank have a great app called My Spend which automatically tracks and categorizes your spending. Handy for the thrifty.
When you get a credit card USE IT. Don’t use your debit card unless you have to. When you pay off your credit card on time it improves your credit score which will be important for you later when buying/renting homes and cars.
If you have kids, apply for Child tax benefits to get generous income from the government to support your kids (O Canada!)
Got big savings from your home country? Plan to save to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP). You get a great tax return when you do this.
Want to save for your kids university education? Look into opening Registered Educations Savings Plan (RESP) to also get government grants to your child’s education.
Staying at an AirBNB? Find a realtor to get you the best deals on a house to rent (for now). It doesn’t cost you anything. They will get their commission from the landlord.
Too busy unpacking to cook? Register with Uber Eats or Skip The Dishes to order in. It will help you scan restaurants in your area that suit your palette.
Planning a direct flight back to your home country on Air Canada. Don’t forget to sign up for the Aeroplan rewards program to rack up those miles.
Choose a car and find three dealerships that sell it. Bargain for the best deal. Don’t be fooled by “No interest loans”. There is no such thing as no interest. They build the interest into the price.
Once you have a car, make sure you get road side assistance. CAA is popular, although my credit card also gets me access to my banks outsourced road side assistance service.
Research on the best deals for your car insurance. Insurance depends on risk factors tied to your age but also where you stay. Brampton has the highest car insurance rates. Being a new driver in Canada will also pinch your pocket. TD bank have an app called TD My Advantage that tracks your driving habits and discounts your premiums with them, based on how you score in your driving.
Buy winter tires. Recommended over all season tires. It’s a hassle to change on and off twice a year, but it’s worth it. Else you will discover how dangerous driving on the snow is the hard way.
If possible, wait till Boxing Day (Dec 26) to buy things like furniture and appliances. Super big massive sales at this time.
Rogers, Bell and TELUS are the big telecom companies here. There are cheaper alternatives. I suggest going for quality and use them to supply your mobile, internet and TV needs if you want reliable services. You get what you pay for. It is generally known that telco is comparatively expensive in Canada.
Start learning hockey, baseball and basketball. Else you will feel clueless and left out of many Canadian conversations.
Buy a good winter jacket. Be prepared to spend a little extra here. Get the boots and gloves too. I love my Canada Goose jacket and Columbia boots.
Join a local Facebook group that is linked to your area. Great source to get advice from real people. For example I stay in Brampton, and my wife is part of a group called “Brampton Moms”. Use the group to get advice and referrals on anything you need. And contribute as well. Give and take.
Find and register with a family doctor. Use your Facebook group to ask for good doctors around.
Find a good dentist. Dental is not covered by government health care so you must take care of those pearly whites. The dentist I go to schedules and consistently reminds me about my check ups. Get dental insurance (through your company or otherwise) and fix everything wrong with you and your family’s teeth NOW before it gets worse. Else you may end up spending 1000s over your private insurance limit. I personally know people who suffered this way.
Register for an online CRA account so you can receive tax notifications digitally. Online self serve tax tools like Turbo tax can automatically pull your tax details from it, making filing your taxes a breeze.
Watch out for fake messages from the CRA warning you that you owe money. “Click here or call back to fix your problem else you will owe a lot of money”. Those messages are all fake targeting innocent newcomers.
What about your job?!?!?

That’s a massive discussion on it’s own.

Check resource on how you can take a practical approach to your job search Canada.

Can my fellow Canadians think of anything I missed out?

You won’t get this advice at settlement services wink

So fee free to share this with someone you know is stressed out about moving to Canada. They’ll love you for it.

6.4k views · ·

Copied from- Qu

Excellent

22 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:45pm On Jun 02, 2019
Debsify:
can it be as horrible as the air pollution in Port Harcourt and Lagos?

Not familiar with port Harcourt but it was worse than anything I've ever experienced in lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Liz019: 11:54pm On Jun 02, 2019
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

DCanadian:

Okay.
My experience in British Columbia has been spectacular. It is the most beautiful place in Canada. I have traveled all over Canada (Road-trip) and it is the best. It is very expensive but with good income you won't be bothered. We have mild winter in the southern part, we get very little snow but the past year we got a lot. It is very cold up North. I lived in Victoria for a while and it is one of my favorite place that I hope to retire in when I'm 50. I ski and snowboard, and do other winter activities in the winter, so I really love the snow and love going to the mountains.
I've been to many cities in British Columbia, even Up North because I cannot just stop exploring. My job skill and digital business gives me the freedom to explore while working. My transportation (flight, car, ferry) and accommodation are completely paid for so I get to go everywhere for free while still getting paid. Feel free to check out my profile on Facebook and see some of my recent adventures at https://www.facebook.com/LaSignorina0/

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by otokx(m): 12:17am On Jun 03, 2019
GloShare:

Any idea of uniport has worked out their issues with ICES?

Did they have any issues?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by otokx(m): 12:21am On Jun 03, 2019
salford1:

Usually smells like burning wood.

Ours in Port Harcourt smells like burning diesel and its terrible in the mornings.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by richcasey: 2:09am On Jun 03, 2019
overcomer296:
Hello all,

Please this is for residents of London, Ontario.
I will be landing there early August.
I would love to rent a place before landing.
Please what are the recommended safe neighborhoods or areas?

Also any realtor recommended will be appreciated

Landing as a student or PR?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 3:34am On Jun 03, 2019
Gec8:

Thanks for this information. I have oil and gas experience and from questions I’ve asked, I understand Calgary is the place. Please what makes Fort McMurrau different, or why do you suggest there?
Fort McMurray is a 7 hours drive from Calgary, and I believe where the oil sands are....then the oil jobs I presume....but do your research please...I might be wrong
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sparkle2k3: 5:31am On Jun 03, 2019
Debsify:
can it be as horrible as the air pollution in Port Harcourt and Lagos?

It was horrible. The smell of burnt wood was very strong, and it got dark(eclipse like).
But unlike Port Harcourt pollution though, there was no black soot residue (maybe cos PH pollution is due to diesel)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nekdr: 7:16am On Jun 03, 2019
gogedda:
Finally landed 2 weeks ago as a single man. Passed through Immigration and customs without no problem in MMIA. Both Luggage were over 23 kg while carry on was over 7 kg. The guys at Ethiopian airline stand allowed me to add more weight to the carry on to make it 12kg while the luggages were left at 25kg each. Trip to Adisabba was long, and then Dublin and then Toronto. Couldn't eat the food served in the plane, only ate the bread and Red wine. Landed on Saturday, went through immigration and customs in Toronto without any problem and then the final leg of the journey to Calgary. I am currently staying with a friend who is married. I have done my SIN, Health Card, bought a sim, visited 2 immigration services (CCIS and Mustard seed ministry) in downtown. I was able to get a reduced bus pass for the month of June and paid $37.5 instead of $104 or so. If you are less than 30yrs, You can visit CCIS, they have a 2 weeks employment training. I met a Nigerian there and he told me about the training and also showed me his check . If you attend it without missing a class , they will pay you $900. I couldn't do it cos I am over that age. I have also learnt the bus and train route system after downloading the Calgary transit app. I am also currently studying for the Alberta driver's license exam. Both fields that I have experience in (Geoscience & Real estate )are licensed here, so I am currently looking for a job while I prepare to do a 2 yrs course in SAIT. Please kindly link me up if you have any. Thanks
Was wondering what course you intend taking in sait
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sats: 8:31am On Jun 03, 2019
gogedda:
Finally landed 2 weeks ago as a single man. Passed through Immigration and customs without no problem in MMIA. Both Luggage were over 23 kg while carry on was over 7 kg. The guys at Ethiopian airline stand allowed me to add more weight to the carry on to make it 12kg while the luggages were left at 25kg each. Trip to Adisabba was long, and then Dublin and then Toronto. Couldn't eat the food served in the plane, only ate the bread and Red wine. Landed on Saturday, went through immigration and customs in Toronto without any problem and then the final leg of the journey to Calgary. I am currently staying with a friend who is married. I have done my SIN, Health Card, bought a sim, visited 2 immigration services (CCIS and Mustard seed ministry) in downtown. I was able to get a reduced bus pass for the month of June and paid $37.5 instead of $104 or so. If you are less than 30yrs, You can visit CCIS, they have a 2 weeks employment training. I met a Nigerian there and he told me about the training and also showed me his check . If you attend it without missing a class , they will pay you $900. I couldn't do it cos I am over that age. I have also learnt the bus and train route system after downloading the Calgary transit app. I am also currently studying for the Alberta driver's license exam. Both fields that I have experience in (Geoscience & Real estate )are licensed here, so I am currently looking for a job while I prepare to do a 2 yrs course in SAIT. Please kindly link me up if you have any. Thanks

Congrats
I hope to join you soon
Though I am interested in toronto and taking a course in humber college
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GloShare(m): 8:42am On Jun 03, 2019
otokx:

Did they have any issues?

Yes. ICES also stated on their website that evaluations from uniport have been suspended.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 9:44am On Jun 03, 2019
doppler06:

Not necessarily. When you transfer your membership, what you do with the previous province’s membership is up to you. If you want to maintain both, you choose the province where you’ll pay membership fees and then for the other province, you get to pay a minimal amount to keep being a member.... can’t remember the name they call it. But you won’t pay 2 membership fees. For Alberta it’s about 230$. If you don’t want to maintain both, you’ll pay to one and tell the other to remove you from their membership (you’ll have to return everything the old province sent to you)
Okay, thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 12:50pm On Jun 03, 2019
otokx:

Ours in Port Harcourt smells like burning diesel and its terrible in the mornings.
Tell em
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 12:51pm On Jun 03, 2019
sparkle2k3:

It was horrible. The smell of burnt wood was very strong, and it got dark(eclipse like).
But unlike Port Harcourt pollution though, there was no black soot residue (maybe cos PH pollution is due to diesel)
Ok
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 12:51pm On Jun 03, 2019
19CannyMum:

Not familiar with port Harcourt but it was worse than anything I've ever experienced in lagos.
ok
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Christian22aa(m): 3:41pm On Jun 03, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHCtTGewMm4. No one is talking about ottawa?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wondaboi2010(m): 4:08pm On Jun 03, 2019
GEJDHERO:
Yes
Please can I chat you up ? I sent u an email
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wondaboi2010(m): 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2019
GEJDHERO:
Yes
Can I chat you? I sent u am email
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Samuelpluto: 5:21pm On Jun 03, 2019
DCanadian:

Okay.
My experience in British Columbia has been spectacular. It is the most beautiful place in Canada. I have traveled all over Canada (Road-trip) and it is the best. It is very expensive but with good income you won't be bothered. We have mild winter in the southern part, we get very little snow but the past year we got a lot. It is very cold up North. I lived in Victoria for a while and it is one of my favorite place that I hope to retire in when I'm 50. I ski and snowboard, and do other winter activities in the winter, so I really love the snow and love going to the mountains.
I've been to many cities in British Columbia, even Up North because I cannot just stop exploring. My job skill and digital business gives me the freedom to explore while working. My transportation (flight, car, ferry) and accommodation are completely paid for so I get to go everywhere for free while still getting paid. Feel free to check out my profile on Facebook and see some of my recent adventures at https://www.facebook.com/LaSignorina0/

thanks for sharing this experience so far. will be delighted to be in british columbia by the end of the year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mimi1999: 10:53pm On Jun 03, 2019
DCanadian:

Okay.

One look at these pictures and the #game of thrones soundtrack is playing in my head.�

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhoci: 11:43pm On Jun 03, 2019
Welcome to Calgary! Did you ask about the "5th Class Power Engineering Training Program" at CCIS? You can check and see if it's somehting that interests you.

gogedda:

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by laminaria(m): 12:44am On Jun 04, 2019
Pls guys I want everyone to put mouth for this matter and I blv we’re all gonna learn from it. I understand at one point or another people (new immigrants) are more likely to go for a course or another prg to reach that top rank in Canada ....either to changing career or follow same path.
My question, Go for a diploma prg(2yrs) or another degree (4yrs)which one is a better choice n career wise.
I need practical n personal experience pls.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 1:16am On Jun 04, 2019
laminaria:
Pls guys I want everyone to put mouth for this matter and I blv we’re all gonna learn from it. I understand at one point or another people (new immigrants) are more likely to go for a course or another prg to reach that top rank in Canada ....either to changing career or follow same path.
My question, Go for a diploma prg(2yrs) or another degree (4yrs)which one is a better choice n career wise.

Tell us what professional line this is e.g banking, engineering e.t.c....what qualifications the person already has and what professional/practical experience the person already has....Then we can put good heads together
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by laminaria(m): 2:37am On Jun 04, 2019
hayor2014:

Tell us what professional line this is e.g banking, engineering e.t.c....what qualifications the person already has and what professional/practical experience the person already has....Then we can put good heads together
Honestly it is just a chit chat with friends...like does it make sense when changing career to go for a degree or diploma?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boom12: 4:24am On Jun 04, 2019
Is there an active WhatsApp group for Nigerians in BC, I need to be added please.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ebi12: 9:34am On Jun 04, 2019
Please is there any active WhatsApp group for London Ontario
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sweetthangbaby: 3:22pm On Jun 04, 2019
Hello Guys,
I landed in Canada on the 20th of May and have been able to get my SIN, Opened a bank account and today i'm off to get my OHIP, however I have been applying for jobs in marketing and have 3 years experience in business development, however, most of the jobs I interviewed for was for marketing and they were telling me its strictly on commission basis. I am looking to build my skills, get professional certifications as I start to work and get a full-time job. If you can help with places for me to apply to as a start to get my self up and running that would be helpful. Does anyone have any idea on job agency and which one worked for them so I can reach out? I am currently going to ACCES employment and have been able to tailor my resume properly and they send me jobs to apply for. Kindly assist.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gec8: 4:14pm On Jun 04, 2019
laminaria:

Very important question here. Please landed seniors, kindly advice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by snoop4dem: 6:17pm On Jun 04, 2019
Not that I know of tho. Most Immigrants dont like BC cos it's expensive
Boom12:
Is there an active WhatsApp group for Nigerians in BC, I need to be added please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gogedda: 7:43pm On Jun 04, 2019
Nekdr:

Was wondering what course you intend taking in sait

Looking at doing GIS, It is a 2 yrs Applied degree but you have a diploma or a degree to applied. It also comes with 8 months paid practicum, so basically first us for class, second year is for the practicum. Would have lovee to do Geotechnical engineering, I couldn't see any school offering diploma in it. University of Calgary does a MSC. in it but u must have 2.1 (second class upper), mine is 2 .2 plus MSC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gogedda: 7:45pm On Jun 04, 2019
jhoci:
Welcome to Calgary! Did you ask about the "5th Class Power Engineering Training Program" at CCIS? You can check and see if it's somehting that interests you.

Yes, next training is till end of the year.

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: soil9, myvic70(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.