Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (391) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2190167 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NairaLuck: 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2020
NairaLuck:
Good evening everyone, is anyone residing in Brantford Ontario here. I got some enquires to make
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olalekan9320(m): 4:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
matilda02:
Hi Everyone, please i need advice. In just got married and we’re about to start the process, i have a few questions
1. My passport hasn’t expired but still has my maiden name, do i have to change it to apply? Or just provide marriage certificate
2. I studied health education with 4years experience as a customer care manager, my husband studied computer science but went into business afterwards (mart, restaurant,bakery, gym, e.t.c) what are our chances of getting jobs. Though o intend to go back to school there at some point
3. Which province would be the best for us to settle in based on job opportunities and cost of living

1. You don't need to change the name on your passport
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by temmytee1(f): 6:46pm On Oct 24, 2020
lewoxxy:
I always have loads of naira , in need of $CAD. Anyone selling?
Dm me. 340

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2020
Jermaineayo:
Hello all, please I want to make a humble request for the list of things I'll need to come with when traveling to Canada.

A link or someone willing to help me draft one will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Aside foodstuff, winter jacket(from yaba), sweaters, aboniki, if you are a lady and you like braids, you can come with few attachments,crotchets etc.. pls bring your fine clothes, don’t dash them out. Bring your fine shoes too. I’m not sure if you will find winter boots in Yaba but you can get affordable ones in Walmart when you get here. For the foodstuff, take note of the ones you can’t travel with so you won’t waste money. The winter jacket you will get in Yaba might not be sufficient when you get here , if you are on a tight budget, you can get winter jacket from Walmart and with time, you can get better ones. I’m not sure of your gender so I don’t know the stores to recommend.All the best, May the land favour you.

19 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 8:44pm On Oct 24, 2020
[quote author=frailbuzz post=95263453]Good evening house, please is there anyone here who was issued COPR after March 18th that has landed in Canada?

My COPR will expire by the end of November. If there is any WhatsApp or telegram group or personal experience I can get information from, it will be really appreciated.

[/quote
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 8:46pm On Oct 24, 2020
[quote author=Brownie1003 post=95264497]Are you for real? When pple don japa since. Pls book your ticket jare.
[/quote
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jermaineayo: 8:47pm On Oct 24, 2020
Thank you so much.
I'm a guy by the way,
I just received my PPR for a study permit.

I sincerely appreciate your response.
NaijaCanadian28:

Aside foodstuff, winter jacket(from yaba), sweaters, aboniki, if you are a lady and you like braids, you can come with few attachments,crotchets etc.. pls bring your fine clothes, don’t dash them out. Bring your fine shoes too. I’m not sure if you will find winter boots in Yaba but you can get affordable ones in Walmart when you get here. For the foodstuff, take note of the ones you can’t travel with so you won’t waste money. The winter jacket you will get in Yaba might not be sufficient when you get here , if you are on a tight budget, you can get winter jacket from Walmart and with time, you can get better ones. I’m not sure of your gender so I don’t know the stores to recommend.All the best, May the land favour you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 9:18pm On Oct 24, 2020
Jermaineayo:
Thank you so much.
I'm a guy by the way,

I came as a student too in 2015. What school will you be attending?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 9:19pm On Oct 24, 2020
Jermaineayo:
Thank you so much.
I'm a guy by the way,

You’re welcome
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lislekelsey: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
Kekereekun123:
All these what are my chances questions are not needed here. Make your research as there are a lot of information online already . No one can tell you what your chances are as we dont know you capabilities, abilities. If you want to migrate please do, but have it at the back of your mind you might do something unrelated to your career to pay the bills in the initial stages which is not new. No one can tell you your chances. Its 50: 50. You may land and get a dream job in week, you may also land and get it 1 or 2 years later. The popular Tunde tash once worked in a sausage factory as a student in canada now works for one of the biggest bank in Canada . Someone up there is talking down customer service jobs.

Guy eat ur garri with or without sugar. No tell me how to drink mine. Kaabo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jermaineayo: 9:34pm On Oct 24, 2020
Nice...I will be attending the University of Alberta
NaijaCanadian28:

I came as a student too in 2015. What school will you be attending?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
[quote author=Lislekelsey post=95275886]Good morning. How is everyone doing?

Straight to the point, please what are the chances of my getting a good teaching job in Canada with Bsc and Msc in English. My siblings keep saying it would be almost impossible (they live in Europe). But I'll like to know. Cos teaching is the only thing that actually interests me.

Is it an easy line to get into over there? Is it hard? Should I just do a second masters in another course? Maybe International relations or something? Please I will like to hear from people who are in the system already. I really ain't ready to leave Nigeria for customer service jobs in Canada when I could certainly do better. Thank u[/quote
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 24, 2020
1. Money
Don't stress yourself, just bring USD. I repeat, don't bother yourself looking for CAD, because your USD will happily be converted at the bank for CAD. The rates would be mostly equivalent to a CAD/NGN conversion or even slightly better.

2. Running shoes (a.k.a trainers, in naija parlance)
You will appreciate the utility of these shoes in Canada because they can be worn all year round. Don't waste your luggage space bringing all those fancy UK shoes we wear back home. You will not have the opportunity to rock them. If you're like me, I know you will not hear word, but you can come back to this post and laugh at yourself in the future. And, oh, nobody will buy your UK-styled shoes on Kijiji - Canadians are not fashionable people. A word they say is enough for the wise!

3. Timberland boots (winter gear)
These boots with 400g of insulation will save you from losing your toes to frostbite and though it looks somewhat fancy (wheat-colored or butters, in naija parlance), it is surprisingly low maintenance boots. Yes, we wore them for fashion back in the 90's, so if you don't mind the weight or you've lived in NY for too long, you sure can wear them all year round.

4. Ori (a.k.a shea butter)
Wipe that smirk off your face because this will save you unnecessary appointments with dermatologists when winter comes calling. See, if you're coming from Naija, just buy a good portion because all that your fancy lotion or cream will not find expression before Canada's merciless winter.

5. Jeans
You can see I mentioned Jeans, not all that plenty and somewhat needless number of clothes we accumulate while living in Naija. Again, this is all you will need in and out of every season in Canada. Don't waste your luggage space bringing all that your fancifully sewn natives and UK-styled clothes - Canada/Canadians don't care and neither does the weather! We don't attend weddings every Saturday here like is the norm in Naija, so those clothes may end up with moldy odor from sitting in your suitcase all year long. I know you will sha not listen!

I typically never advise people to invest in winter gears from Naija, but here's a small guide to help you understand what to look for if you plan to get something temporary from the popular Yaba market;

a. Synthetic Insulation - a jacket with 200g insulation is going to be thicker and warmer than a comparable jacket with 100g insulation. As a rule of thumb, 50-100g jackets are great for spring or fall while 100-200g jackets are ideal for more frigid conditions. This also applies to gloves and boots too.

b. Down Insulation - the 'fill power' is an indicator of the quality of down; the higher the number, the more volume a given weight of down will occupy. 800-900 fill down is considered premium insulation with that desirable cloud-like feel, while down in the 500-600 range will require more down (making them feel heavier and bulkier) to achieve the same level of warmth. You will mostly find this quality in the Canada Goose line or in the upper range of The NorthFace line.

All the very best!

Jermaineayo:
Hello all, please I want to make a humble request for the list of things I'll need to come with when traveling to Canada.

A link or someone willing to help me draft one will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

77 Likes 50 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by matilda02(f): 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2020
olalekan9320:

1. You don't need to change the name on your passport

Thanks alot.
At what point do i need to change it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iambowcreek: 10:39pm On Oct 24, 2020
Hello House
Please I really need advice/direction on what to do. We received PPR mail yesterday 23rd Oct 2020 and have only 30days to submit our passport. My wife is pregnant and will be due in like 3weeks. Pls do I still go ahead and submit the passports or wait till she delivers and raise a webform immediately to inform IRCC or we should raise the webform now and inform them.
Pls experts in the house kindly advice or if you have been in such situation pls what did u do.
I need help pls ������

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 24, 2020
bLacKGoLd3 most of the jackets at yaba are not canada grade. Mostly uk and china they cant do jack here. Best to buy a minus 30 one here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 24, 2020
They can buy it for the flight and for landing (especially those going this winter) when they get to Canada, they’ll buy proper ones.
Kekereekun123:
bLacKGoLd3 most of the jackets at yaba are not canada grade. Mostly uk and china they cant do jack here. Best to buy a minus 30 one here.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jermaineayo: 11:11pm On Oct 24, 2020
Thank you so much...this is really wonderful!
bLacKGoLd3:
1. Money
Don't stress yourself, just bring USD. I repeat, don't bother yourself looking for CAD, because your USD will happily be converted at the bank for CAD. The rates would be mostly equivalent to a CAD/NGN conversion or even slightly better.

You will appreciate the utility of these shoes in Canada because they can be worn all year round. Don't waste your luggage space bringing all those fancy UK shoes we wear back home. You will not have the opportunity to rock them. If you're like me, I know you will not hear word, but you can come back to this post and laugh at yourself in the future. And, oh, nobody will buy your UK-styled shoes on Kijiji - Canadians are not fashionable people. A word they say is enough for the wise!

These boots with 400g of insulation will save you from losing your toes to frostbite and though it looks somewhat fancy (wheat-colored or butters, in naija parlance), it is surprisingly low maintenance boots. Yes, we wore them for fashion back in the 90's, so if you don't mind the weight or you've lived in NY for too long, you sure can wear them all year round.

Wipe that smirk off your face because this will save you unnecessary appointments with dermatologists when winter comes calling. See, if you're coming from Naija, just buy a good portion because all that your fancy lotion or cream will not find expression before Canada's merciless winter.

5. Jeans
You can see I mentioned Jeans, not all that plenty and somewhat needless number of clothes we accumulate while living in Naija. Again, this is all you will need in and out of every season in Canada. Don't waste your luggage space bringing all that your fancifully sewn natives and UK-styled clothes - Canada/Canadians don't care and neither does the weather! We don't attend weddings every Saturday here like is the norm in Naija, so those clothes may end up with moldy odor from sitting in your suitcase all year long. I know you will sha not listen!

I typically never advise people to invest in winter gears from Naija, but here's a small guide to help you understand what to look for if you plan to get something temporary from the popular Yaba market;

a. Synthetic Insulation - a jacket with 200g insulation is going to be thicker and warmer than a comparable jacket with 100g insulation. As a rule of thumb, 50-100g jackets are great for spring or fall while 100-200g jackets are ideal for more frigid conditions. This also applies to gloves and boots too.

b. Down Insulation - the 'fill power' is an indicator of the quality of down; the higher the number, the more volume a given weight of down will occupy. 800-900 fill down is considered premium insulation with that desirable cloud-like feel, while down in the 500-600 range will require more down (making them feel heavier and bulkier) to achieve the same level of warmth. You will mostly find this quality in the Canada Goose line or in the upper range of The NorthFace line.

All the very best!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 7:21am On Oct 25, 2020
I suggest you raise a webform now or email and mention that she is due shortly. They will extend the request date and then baby can be added to your application.

For me, I had an international trip so needed my passport. I got one month extension with no issues.

Iambowcreek:
Hello House
Please I really need advice/direction on what to do. We received PPR mail yesterday 23rd Oct 2020 and have only 30days to submit our passport. My wife is pregnant and will be due in like 3weeks. Pls do I still go ahead and submit the passports or wait till she delivers and raise a webform immediately to inform IRCC or we should raise the webform now and inform them.
Pls experts in the house kindly advice or if you have been in such situation pls what did u do.
I need help pls ������

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 9:09am On Oct 25, 2020
Happy Sunday everyone!

I have a few questions for my Calgary peeps please;

1. Which area is the 'best' to reside in for a family of 4 with 2 small children? The decision is between the NW and SW quadrants but all research seems to point towards the SW being better

2. Parents in the house (especially mamas), which stroller would you recommend? It would have to be one that can work well in snowy conditions

3. Furniture! OMG these things can be so expensive. Apart from IKEA and Walmart, which other place can you recommend for affordable but durable furniture (the basics like bed, sofa, dining set, etc.) Bonus points for places that can delivery and maybe install?

4. Wayfair Canada - This website pops up a lot. Is it good?

Thank you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iambowcreek: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2020
rainazoe:
I suggest you raise a webform now or email and mention that she is due shortly. They will extend the request date and then baby can be added to your application.

For me, I had an international trip so needed my passport. I got one month extension with no issues.

Ok thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by popz: 12:53pm On Oct 25, 2020
[quote author=NaijaCanadian28 post=95299413][/quote]
DM me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lislekelsey:

Guy eat ur garri with or without sugar. No tell me how to drink mine. Kaabo
You would like...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olalekan9320(m): 2:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
matilda02:

Thanks alot.
At what point do i need to change it?
it's not compulsory to change your name at any point in time

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 2:56pm On Oct 25, 2020
NaijaCanadian28:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2020
bLacKGoLd3:
1. Money

5. Jeans

All the very best!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2020
DivineGrace001:

You can buy a jogging stroller. A jogging stroller is usually the best for snow.

� thanks!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemmy26(m): 5:54pm On Oct 25, 2020
Calgary

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drnoel: 6:25pm On Oct 25, 2020
^^^Looks like they don't clear the roads off snow, accident waiting to happen
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Jogging through a trail in GTA wink

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iambowcreek: 11:31pm On Oct 25, 2020
Ethelia:

� thanks!
City jogger stroller is good also you can check out Contour Strollers is also good and strong

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73