Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,009 members, 7,835,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (433) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2206698 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) ... (715) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 1:51am On Jan 24, 2021
Midapat:
Good day my people. I must acknowledge the good work and contributions on this forum. They are really informative. Please I need response to some queries about switching career into nursing. I studied Microbiology and graduated with a 3rd class in 2009, I also went for PGD and had a distinction in 2015. I got some info on the internet on after degree nursing, Licensed practical nursing. Nursing has been a thing of fulfillment for me cos incase the salary is not encouraging or getting the job is not easy, I will still go for it. I'm in my early 30s
1) What are my chances for admission when i land as a PR I'm still at ECA stage?
2) Which of it will you advise I go for?
3) How affordable is the school fees and is it possible to get scholarship.
Please be open with me.

If you are a PR , it’s not that expensive. An average of 11k will be ok (and you can get grants and/or loan). On the other hand, international student fees can go as high as 40k. LPN is an over subscribed program and the requirements is usually a minimum of 60% in Maths, English, Biology and Physics/Chemistry (some schools skip Physics or chemistry). Because it’s an oversubscribed program, they end up choosing people with the highest scores so while the minimum is 60%(keep in mind that some schools require 70%), it doesn’t guarantee admission. I don’t think it will really matters if you graduated with third class, if you have the required score in the courses I stated above, you should be fine. You also need to carry out a course by course evaluation of your degree and /or diploma(depending on the one you want to use) since you schooled outside Canada(most schools accept WES). There’s also the option of academic upgrading( I’m not sure if it’s available to international students if you are one). Every college has academic upgrading and it’s free for PRs and citizens. You just have to retake English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry (as the case maybe) and aim to score really high to increase your chances.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mumayo: 3:59am On Jan 24, 2021
ednut1:
closed since pandemic started
thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DottaofGod: 9:43am On Jan 24, 2021
Please someone should add me to the ontario wassap or telegram group.I landed canada and I'm in Ontario.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Midapat(f): 1:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
Brownie1003:
Why don't you hold on until your PR is in the bag. Work on getting that first nah. Also, if you really researched well, you would see that the tuition fees for PR holders and Citizens is far lesser than International students. Moreover, you can apply for grants and loan.
As regards question 1, I think you just have to try. Apply and be hopeful.
Thanks a bunch for the advice. I will sure hold on. I'm only in search of knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Midapat(f): 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2021
[quote author=NaijaCanadian28 post=98378252]
Thanks this is really helpful. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dampops(m): 3:21pm On Jan 24, 2021
Good day everyone. Please is there anyone that used KLM in the last one week. I’m hearing about an additional Rapid antigen test to be done 4 hours before departure in addition to a negative PCR test done 72 hours before departure.

Anyone with any information on this?����

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canadahome: 5:00pm On Jan 24, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

If you are a PR , it’s not that expensive. An average of 11k will be ok (and you can get grants and/or loan). On the other hand, international student fees can go as high as 40k. LPN is an over subscribed program and the requirements is usually a minimum of 60% in Maths, English, Biology and Physics/Chemistry (some schools skip Physics or chemistry). Because it’s an oversubscribed program, they end up choosing people with the highest scores so while the minimum is 60%(keep in mind that some schools require 70%), it doesn’t guarantee admission. I don’t think it will really matters if you graduated with third class, if you have the required score in the courses I stated above, you should be fine. You also need to carry out a course by course evaluation of your degree and /or diploma(depending on the one you want to use) since you schooled outside Canada(most schools accept WES). There’s also the option of academic upgrading( I’m not sure if it’s available to international students if you are one). Every college has academic upgrading and it’s free for PRs and citizens. You just have to retake English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry (as the case maybe) and aim to score really high to increase your chances.

Please, if that the case for a science graduate. What the option for people that graduated from social science in Nigeria and would want to switch to Nursing when they land?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 5:13pm On Jan 24, 2021
Canadahome:

Please, if that the case for a science graduate. What the option for people that graduated from social science in Nigeria and would want to switch to Nursing when they land?

You do either academic upgrading or pre-health.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kemyzzzy: 7:11pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hello, is there anyone here with an expired COPR issued before March 18th and still waiting for communication from IRCC
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by uyaiabasi123: 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jason2moh: 10:43pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hi guys, If and when either of you find the whatsapp or telegram group to join. Kindly let me know. I too am new in Toronto and looking to connect.
DottaofGod:
Please i need to be added too.just incase you find any group.I just landed and I'm in toronto.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jason2moh: 10:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
If and when you find the whatsapp or telegram group to join. Kindly let me know. I too am new in Toronto and looking to connect.
Jesusrules24:
Hello everyone, I landed Canada about 13 days ago, so about to end my quarantine.

I am in Toronto and would love to be added to a Nigerian WhatsApp group.

Please if you belong to any WhatsApp group for new students/immigrants in Canada, add me.

I am alone here and I need as much support (information) so I don't make mistakes.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FolaRocks: 12:00am On Jan 25, 2021
Great! so are you still using your date for 26th or did you cancel already?

englois:

Thanks. But I've already gotten one.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:30am On Jan 25, 2021
Dampops:
Good day everyone. Please is there anyone that used KLM in the last one week. I’m hearing about an additional Rapid antigen test to be done 4 hours before departure in addition to a negative PCR test done 72 hours before departure.

Anyone with any information on this?����

I'll closely following this matter too. Regulation came into effect on January 23rd.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Somenachi: 5:59am On Jan 25, 2021
Toronto guys. Anyone interested in winning themselves An AirFryer? grin grin.. My friends just started an organic turkey business in Toronto. and to push publicity they are having a giveaway on their Ig page. Please check it out if you can. Thank you

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKWpSIllMsx/?igshid=15gh70mqr8jwz

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by englois: 7:35am On Jan 25, 2021
FolaRocks:
Great! so are you still using your date for 26th or did you cancel already?

It's IOM Abuja.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dampops(m): 11:23am On Jan 25, 2021
I called their (KLM )customer service and they confirmed it

19CannyMum:

I'll closely following this matter too. Regulation came into effect on January 23rd.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tmeeto: 12:49pm On Jan 25, 2021
Kemyzzzy:
Hello, is there anyone here with an expired COPR issued before March 18th and still waiting for communication from IRCC

PM me. There is a WhatsApp group.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AyabaS: 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2021
Can the barter by flutterwave virtual dollar card be used to pay for Airbnb? I land next week and need to book an apartment urgently. I have some issues with my bank and can’t use my master dollar card now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FolaRocks: 1:48pm On Jan 25, 2021
Ohhhh...

I'm bummed. Thank you all the same.

englois:

It's IOM Abuja.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by steroid: 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2021
AyabaS:
Can the barter by flutterwave virtual dollar card be used to pay for Airbnb? I land next week and need to book an apartment urgently. I have some issues with my bank and can’t use my master dollar card now.
Yes. Barter by flutterwave can be used to pay for Airbnb.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by saskatoonguy: 4:28pm On Jan 25, 2021
Richdee1:

Use YouTube!
very easy
search for @officialgbegbin on twitter. He once lived there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AyabaS: 6:59pm On Jan 25, 2021
steroid:

Yes. Barter by flutterwave can be used to pay for Airbnb.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yourfavemls(f): 8:19pm On Jan 25, 2021
Queenmaker:

What info do you need?
Firstly, about the payment process, they don’t allow card transactions originating from Nigerian accounts. So to even start the whole process is without figuring out how to pay the application fee is a problem, because sending the documents without payment make cause them to discard my documents
Secondly, concerning the supporting documents to be sent from School, Place of internship and Work place. I don’t know how to go about it. Whether it should be mailed directly to CSMLS through courier services or it can be sent through email to their official email. The PLA handbook did not specify much.
Pls help out, Thanks .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ainat: 8:43pm On Jan 25, 2021
Hello everyone. Though I am still waiting for My PPR but I will appreciate it if someone can enlighten me about the Insurance Career sector in Canada.
My first degree is in Insurance and My Masters is in Risk management. Though I do not have any work experience in insurance or risk but I have 6 years experience in Administration. I want to use this opportunity to relocate to build a career for myself in Insurance and risk.

I will appreciate if anyone can give me some information about the Insurance sector and the professional courses need.

Also, do I need to get any canadian certification before I can get a Job in Insurance?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slushy: 8:50pm On Jan 25, 2021
So where are you supposed to do the test? At the airport? Also is your COPR before or after March 18?

Dampops:
I called their (KLM )customer service and they confirmed it

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2021
ainat:
Hello everyone. Though I am still waiting for My PPR but I will appreciate it if someone can enlighten me about the Insurance Career sector in Canada.
My first degree is in Insurance and My Masters is in Risk management. Though I do not have any work experience in insurance or risk but I have 6 years experience in Administration. I want to use this opportunity to relocate to build a career for myself in Insurance and risk.

I will appreciate if anyone can give me some information about the Insurance sector and the professional courses need.

Also, do I need to get any canadian certification before I can get a Job in Insurance?
visit job websites. Check the requirements for Insurance jobs. I checked and can already see OTL license.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2021
Hello,

Is it a good idea to leave a 500k/month business in Nigeria to relocate to Canada via student visa?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmaker: 9:59pm On Jan 25, 2021
yourfavemls:

Firstly, about the payment process, they don’t allow card transactions originating from Nigerian accounts. So to even start the whole process is without figuring out how to pay the application fee is a problem, because sending the documents without payment make cause them to discard my documents
Secondly, concerning the supporting documents to be sent from School, Place of internship and Work place. I don’t know how to go about it. Whether it should be mailed directly to CSMLS through courier services or it can be sent through email to their official email. The PLA handbook did not specify much.
Pls help out, Thanks .
Hello.
As for the payment process, they reject payment from Nigeria (blacklisted). You have to look for someone in Canada, US or UK to pay with their card. When I made my own payment, Western union was functioning. Unfortunately, Western union payment outside the country has been placed on hold currently.
For the documents, yes it is courier. You'll be responsible for the cost, but CSMLS instructs that it must come directly from the school/employer/place of internship. So once you have the document, ensure it is sealed and then send via courier.
You cannot send any document together because it is assumed that you are not the one sending it.... be smart. I even had to travel to my place of internship to collect the document and courier it in the same state so it is authentic.
Note, it is not via email. They want hard copy.
Ensure your name and registration number is indicated on every envelope.
I'll advise you to pay for membership so as to reduce the overall cost.
Also, take out time to read the PLA booklet.
All the best.

Note: I am still in Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 25, 2021
Admin9:
Hello,

Is it a good idea to leave a 500k/month business in Nigeria to relocate to Canada via student visa?
only you can answer this question by asking what do i want

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 10:10pm On Jan 25, 2021
ednut1:
only you can answer this question by asking what do i want

not only me. you can too

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yourfavemls(f): 10:11pm On Jan 25, 2021
Queenmaker:

Hello.
As for the payment process, they reject payment from Nigeria (blacklisted). You have to look for someone in Canada, US or UK to pay with their card. When I made my own payment, Western union was functioning. Unfortunately, Western union payment outside the country has been placed on hold currently.
For the documents, yes it is courier. You'll be responsible for the cost, but CSMLS instructs that it must come directly from the school/employer/place of internship. So once you have the document, ensure it is sealed and then send via courier.
You cannot send any document together because it is assumed that you are not the one sending it.... be smart. I even had to travel to my place of internship to collect the document and courier it in the same state so it is authentic.
Note, it is not via email. They want hard copy.
Ensure your name and registration number is indicated on every envelope.
I'll advise you to pay for membership so as to reduce the overall cost.
Also, take out time to read the PLA booklet.
All the best.

Note: I am still in Nigeria.

Wow! Thank you so much, this is such an eye opener, I’ve been so lost . Thanks for the prompt response I appreciate

(1) (2) (3) ... (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) ... (715) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.