Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (435) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2185660 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RTreasure: 10:14am On Jan 28, 2021
Okay this makes me feel better because that 2hr 30mins waiting time is perfect for me. Hoping there won’t be any queue though. Thanks alot

DefyTheOdds:
I came into edmonton last week (study permit) and my stopover between toronto and edmonton was 2 hrs 15 minutes. It took me less than 30 minutes to go through immigration (there was no line though so I didn't have to queue at any point)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RTreasure: 10:16am On Jan 28, 2021
Hello guys.
Please can someone add me to an Alberta(Calgary or Edmonton) whatsapp group?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 3:21pm On Jan 28, 2021
Orange1234:
Hello House. Please (to those who live in Toronto), I'm trying to decide whether to purchase freedom mobile or virgin mobile. I am leaning towards Virgin Mobile because I learnt Freedom mobile is a smaller network that obtains its services from larger networks. I don't know anyone who uses Virgin Mobile in Toronto. Please, which is the better network? Is Virgin or freedom mobile's service really good in Toronto? Please what's your experience with either one or both? Thanks in anticipation.

I have used the two, Freedom is cheaper but you are right Freedom has limited service coverage. Virgin is a better option in this case. The difference in cost is not much

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 3:36pm On Jan 28, 2021
brogxy:

Myself as a case study for the bolded reply.
I have a 3rd in Physiology, 2009, and a PGD(biomedical engineering) in progress.
I found out that most universities for accelerated Nursing programs require your first degree from last 4 yrs while some 10 yrs which my profile doesn't qualify for.

Some perquisites are required which begets the reasons for my worries. Are they courses done during undergraduate or courses done specially for the admission?

Since the programme requires latest from 10yrs undergraduate degree, can I still qualify for the perquisites or writing perquisites exam is what I need? And would the PGD make an impact for the admission?
Primary reason for the PGD was for 2nd degree for EE but another programme has served that purpose. I can discard the PGD not minding the time and money spent if it won't serve any purpose for the nursing as that is the career I would likely take up if opportunities show for migration.

PS:
I am still pre ITA but its needed for one to know what lies ahead and have a plan to forge ahead.

Hello.. Your best option is to find out from the admissions department of your potential school. I don’t know if it’s possible to take these courses singly. I was in the same position, I have a science based University degree from Nigeria but I didn’t have two of the required courses - Statistics and Psychology (this was for Uni of Toronto). Some kind hearted NLanders recommended accelerated Nursing programs (a few pages back) in Lakehead University and Trent university (keep in mind that for these schools, you are starting from scratch but instead of the regular four years, you will be spending three years)

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by egobetatoday: 8:47pm On Jan 28, 2021
Remicynt:
Good day everyone, I need advise I am certain I am not the first and won't be the last that is having this challenge. I am presently collating our documents we are due to submit next week but I have an issue with bank statement.. my spouse i.e my husband is unaccompanied but all our funds are in his fixed deposit account.. I intend submitting his statement and also notarizing a letter to show the funds are accessible to me and my son when we are ready to travel.. please i need the opinion of the house as you are more experienced.. your input will be greatly appreciated

We had the same challenge as you. We simply got the statement of account and I signed a letter to show that my spouse has free and unfettered access to the account for the purpose of immigration. This was in early 2019 and we've received ppr. I don't know if this method is still acceptable now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by snoop4dem: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2021
Please is there anyone that has a contact or person they know at VFS in Lekki Lagos. Please I need your help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by primeson1(m): 8:48pm On Jan 29, 2021
Brokenvessels:
I will be moving to Calgary 15th February
+/-3days. Need a travel buddy, preferably female. Have been looking at Airbnb and there are some nice 2 bedrooms, 2 baths condo that will be good for quarantine, if anyone is interested and will like to split costs, send a PM.
I will like to be added to any Calgary WhatsApp group.
Also, I will be looking for a 2 bed, 1 or 2 baths apartment or condo. Anyone looking for a flatmate, please reach out.
Thanks.

If you are coming from Nigeria, you may want to check the new guidelines for international travelers announced today by Trudeau.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 55emem55: 9:15pm On Jan 29, 2021
hey guys, if you've just landed (or not yet) and you'll like to position yourself for job opportunities on LinkedIn, you should check this out asap

https://thefifthalley.com/how-to-position-yourself-for-job-opportunities-on-linkedin-in-2021/

Myself, I've started optimizing my LinkedIn.
I can't carry last lol.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tojued: 10:40pm On Jan 29, 2021
Debv:

I soft landed in Alberta, Canada last year, I'll be coming back in few months time, by then, I'll be like 6 months pregnant.

Is getting a job possible,
yes

also does the Alberta health card cover child birth?
Yes

and will it be easy to get a Doctor to attend to me while I'm already in my 6th month.
Yes
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dampops(m): 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 1:01am On Jan 30, 2021
egobetatoday:

We had the same challenge as you. We simply got the statement of account and I signed a letter to show that my spouse has free and unfettered access to the account for the purpose of immigration. This was in early 2019 and we've received ppr. I don't know if this method is still acceptable now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 1:06am On Jan 30, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kyrie2018: 3:53am On Jan 30, 2021
Just to clarify about Lakehead university.

*Most universities who offer the accelerated BSN will require you pass the prerequisites as part of their application criteria. For these schools the program would normally run for 2 years.

*Lakehead university offers the prerequisites as part of your first year course, including some other core nursing courses. So, you do not need to write the prerequisites before applying. And the accelerated BSN program is 3years (or 2yrs 8months if you count it that way). I think this is fair because if you include the time you need to study for and write the prerequisites before applying to those schools that run the program for 2 years then it adds up.

*To get exemption for the prerequisites, you need to submit your course description from your previous studies. I submitted this and got exemption for statistics. I know someone who got exemption for psychology too. So, in first year I took psychology, anatomy and physiology plus other nursing courses.

* Also, in Lakehead university clinical placement starts from year one whether you're doing the 4yrs degree or accelerated degree. I don't know what is obtainable in other schools.

*The accelerated degree program in Lakehead university is quite intensive. Be ready to STUDY. A lot of students are able to work while going to school, you just have to know your own capabilities and decide how many hours you can sacrifice for work. Also, after your first year you are qualified to work as a PSW ($20.68/hr where I worked).
* About the 10 years timeline, I'm not sure what the conditions are in Lakehead university. But I finished my first degree over 10 years ago and was able to get admission.

NaijaCanadian28:

Hello.. Your best option is to find out from the admissions department of your potential school. I don’t know if it’s possible to take these courses singly. I was in the same position, I have a science based University degree from Nigeria but I didn’t have two of the required courses - Statistics and Psychology (this was for Uni of Toronto). Some kind hearted NLanders recommended accelerated Nursing programs (a few pages back) in Lakehead University and Trent university (keep in mind that for these schools, you are starting from scratch but instead of the regular four years, you will be spending three years)

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Folakemee: 4:28am On Jan 30, 2021
I had to create an account just to respond to your question. Please for the love of God, EVALUATE YOUR DEGREES!!! While you are still in Nigeria, it will be a easier to get any required transcripts to send to the requisite evaluation bodies. I was added by my spouse post AOR and was happy about not needing to evaluate my degree only to be asked to provide the evaluation when I wanted to join the regulatory body for my profession. Decided
to go back to school for a graduate certificate and the school asked for WES evaluation. Eventually switched my application to a full diploma( just to avoid WES wàhálà) and they asked for evaluation of my WAEC certificate by...... WES!! Waec has sent documents to WES but we are still waiting for university transcripts since September despite all efforts to get it (including paying twice!) Even if you don't use it, just have it on hand.
Thegirl2019:
Good day everyone,I am currently awaiting PPR hopefully today grin (faith) but I need guidance...
I was added by my spouse(PA) post AOR so I didn't evaluate my degrees thus I would like to work once I arrive and am settled.
Is there a need to evaluate while waiting and what other courses can I study to help boost my chances of getting a great job grin
Studied economics and statistics with a masters degree in economics...

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:34am On Jan 30, 2021
Kyrie2018:

*Most universities who offer the accelerated BSN will require you pass the prerequisites as part of their application criteria. For these schools the program would normally run for 2 years.

*Lakehead university offers the prerequisites as part of your first year course, including some other core nursing courses. So, you do not need to write the prerequisites before applying. And the accelerated BSN program is 3years (or 2yrs 8months if you count it that way). I think this is fair because if you include the time you need to study for and write the prerequisites before applying to those schools that run the program for 2 years then it adds up.

*To get exemption for the prerequisites, you need to submit your course description from your previous studies. I submitted this and got exemption for statistics. I know someone who got exemption for psychology too. So, in first year I took psychology, anatomy and physiology plus other nursing courses.

* Also, in Lakehead university clinical placement starts from year one whether you're doing the 4yrs degree or accelerated degree. I don't know what is obtainable in other schools.

*The accelerated degree program in Lakehead university is quite intensive. Be ready to STUDY. A lot of students are able to work while going to school, you just have to know your own capabilities and decide how many hours you can sacrifice for work. Also, after your first year you are qualified to work as a PSW ($20.68/hr where I worked).
* About the 10 years timeline, I'm not sure what the conditions are in Lakehead university. But I finished my first degree over 10 years ago and was able to get admission.

Your explanation was well detailed as I intended asking more questions but didn't want to fill the thread up with unnecessary posts. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 6:14am On Jan 30, 2021
Kyrie2018:

Thanks so much for this clarification. I didn’t know some schools exempt Psychology and Statistics . I had seen the requirements on U of T’s website and emailed the admissions department but the lady didn’t give a satisfactory answer so I didn’t even bother applying. Lakehead and Trent were even out of the question due to distance.I just decided to go through the LPN route. Albeit a longer route since my goal is still RN plus my OHST diploma but we shall see. I should know where I stand from next week as colleges will start sending offers to students from next week. Thanks for your input
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kyrie2018: 7:16am On Jan 30, 2021
If you haven't started yet, you can still send them your course description. Even after registering for classes you would still be given a few weeks after school starts to drop any course. I didn't even ask the school about mine, I just uploaded my course description as part of my application documents.
Lakehead is a good school if you don't mind living in NW Ontario. I heard that in bigger cities schools compete amongst themselves for clinical placement locations for their students. I don't know how true it is. But we don't have that problem here smiley

And the school fees is about $7, 200 per year for PR/citizens.

NaijaCanadian28:

Thanks so much for this clarification. I didn’t know some schools exempt Psychology and Statistics . I had seen the requirements on U of T’s website and emailed the admissions department but the lady didn’t give a satisfactory answer so I didn’t even bother applying. Lakehead and Trent were even out of the question due to distance.I just decided to go through the LPN route. Albeit a longer route since my goal is still RN plus my OHST diploma but we shall see. I should know where I stand from next week as colleges will start sending offers to students from next week. Thanks for your input

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
Kyrie2018:
If you haven't started yet, you can still send them your course description. Even after registering for classes you would still be given a few weeks after school starts to drop any course. I didn't even ask the school about mine, I just uploaded my course description as part of my application documents.
Lakehead is a good school if you don't mind living in NW Ontario. I heard that in bigger cities schools compete amongst themselves for clinical placement locations for their students. I don't know how true it is. But we don't have that problem here smiley

And the school fees is about $7, 200 per year for PR/citizens.

Wow! I’m looking into this again, let me not put my eggs in one basket. Thanks again
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cherrymia: 9:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
Good day everyone ,please I need urgent 200CAD,anyone willing to sell,please tell me your rate.thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Thegirl2019: 10:45pm On Jan 30, 2021
Thank you so much
Really appreciate the response
Folakemee:
I had to create an account just to respond to your question. Please for the love of God, EVALUATE YOUR DEGREES!!! While you are still in Nigeria, it will be a easier to get any required transcripts to send to the requisite evaluation bodies. I was added by my spouse post AOR and was happy about not needing to evaluate my degree only to be asked to provide the evaluation when I wanted to join the regulatory body for my profession. Decided
to go back to school for a graduate certificate and the school asked for WES evaluation. Eventually switched my application to a full diploma( just to avoid WES wàhálà) and they asked for evaluation of my WAEC certificate by...... WES!! Waec has sent documents to WES but we are still waiting for university transcripts since September despite all efforts to get it (including paying twice!) Even if you don't use it, just have it on hand.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sCross: 11:21pm On Jan 30, 2021
joy4ogba:
im interested in joining, i reside in ontario

We have an Ontario Telegram Group, but strictly for those that have landed.

Send me a PM when you land.

Hello, I recently landed and would like to join this group. I've sent you an email, please respond.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PrinxArthur1(m): 11:22pm On Jan 30, 2021
can I apply for Canadian apprenticeship program in Nigeria? or rather, are prospective immigrants allowed to apply for apprenticeship program? @kyrie2018 ,primeson1
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DRiches: 1:13pm On Jan 31, 2021
Hello house, please I’m making this enquiry for my brother. He is a Veterinary Doctor (DVM) with 4years of working experience, 33yrs old. His wife (26yo) is a Nurse (Bsc) with approximately 2years of working experience. Please, what do they need to start with on this journey of EE?

Do they really have prospect in Canada? I’m suggesting Australia for them as the second choice because I don’t know if Canada is better for their professions.

Is it advisable for both of them to evaluate their certificate with WES and also write IELTS together?

What are the likely IELTS bands that can make them enter the EE pool?

I would really appreciate it if anyone can reply me.

Thanks a lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AtinukeTinuade: 3:43pm On Jan 31, 2021
Good day guys . Is there any WhatsApp group i can join for ielts preparation?
My whatsap line : 08078138459
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by smartkester(m): 3:51pm On Jan 31, 2021
DRiches:
Hello house, please I’m making this enquiry for my brother. He is a Veterinary Doctor (DVM) with 4years of working experience, 33yrs old. His wife (26yo) is a Nurse (Bsc) with approximately 2years of working experience. Please, what do they need to start with on this journey of EE?

Do they really have prospect in Canada? I’m suggesting Australia for them as the second choice because I don’t know if Canada is better for their professions.

Is it advisable for both of them to evaluate their certificate with WES and also write IELTS together?

Thanks a lot
vet Doctor and a Nurse, they're both perfect for the Canadian journey. Their profession is widely sorted for in Canada, just wait for the seniors to illuminate more on this. But from my little experience, they're good to go. Since the wife is younger, she should be the primary applicant. Just check the EE thread for more information.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PrinxArthur1(m): 4:43pm On Jan 31, 2021
you guys give reply to selected few
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 31, 2021
PrinxArthur1:
you guys give reply to selected few
it’s good. Since una no wan research yourself. Most of what is being asked is on Ircc website and google. Time na money for Canada lol. Look at the question you asked

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cherrymia: 6:09pm On Jan 31, 2021
Please I still need help
Cherrymia:
Good day everyone ,please I need urgent 200CAD,anyone willing to sell,please tell me your rate.thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nickxander11(m): 7:28pm On Jan 31, 2021
Hi guys, pls I need a confirmation on:

1) if reference letter for previous work experience has a validity period. I want to get mine now but will be in the pool in 6-7months time.

2) for the current experience is it ideal to state a date one left the company or just use "till date" as the person still works with the company as at the time of application?

I have been getting conflicting answers so I decided to get a response from here since it's for those that have arrived
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 8:10pm On Jan 31, 2021
DRiches:

Thanks a lot

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Simulating their CRS is the first step. The Vet doctor can claim points for Masters/professional degree because of his profession but the Registered nurse can only claim points for Bachelors(Masters points is higher than Bachelors points). The Vet will also lose about 14 or 15 points on age. They also have to max out their IELTS to be able to have a high CRS. If their CRS is in the 470s, they may have a chance with EE, if not they may have to consider other options like PNP. There’s a thread for express entry, I think you will get better answers there pertaining to immigration. Job prospect for RN is great . I know people don’t joke with their pets here, so I’m assuming job prospect should be good for Vet doctors too. I have no idea of the immigration programs for Australia (there’s also a thread for this topic on NL) but I know for sure that it’s a very good country too.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 31, 2021
Hello NL family, i just landed yesterday and I'm in day 2 of my quarantine. I'm looking for a place to stay permanently after I'm done with quarantine and will want to know if anyone here can help with any info in finding accommodation preferably in Ottawa. Thanking you all in advance

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Josh121(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.