Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (449) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182875 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 5:14pm On Apr 09, 2021
irijuola:

How did you make payment for your hotel quarantine and Airbnb from Nigeria. I'll be landing next week. Please explain
open a dom account in Nigeria or get some in canada to pay for you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 5:41pm On Apr 09, 2021
Malone122:
available
What's your rate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2021
Hello all.
I need you help. I need to pay for my quarantine and Airbnb and I need someone in Canada who can pay for me. I'll just transfer the equivalent to you. Please help.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by steroid: 12:52am On Apr 10, 2021
Pee2Jay9:
Another matter is on driving. I have a valid Nigerian license and have just gotten my driving history to travel with. Please is there another document I'll need to enable start driving almost immediately? Kindly also give me an idea on average cost of the popular cars used for uber.

Biko don't be vexed by my plenty questions o, I'm trying to strategically plan the life ahead now. Thank you all for your anticipated responses.

Ensure you get a No Claims Letter from your Insurance provider as this may be of help in reducing your insurance premium.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damzy88: 1:45am On Apr 10, 2021
Datevilme:
Please is there any WhatsApp or telegram group for IT professionals in Canada?
Yes, there is.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by egobetatoday: 10:27am On Apr 10, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

Melon seeds...You can check Indian food section or international food section. I don’t know about other people but it tastes the same to me.

Thank you NaijaCanadian28, 19CannyMum and Hayor2014 for the valuable information on naija food substitute. I'm so interested in this discussion and think it is relevant to the goal of this thread. Abeg, what suggestions do you have for milk. Going through YouTube Videos I discovered a small tin of powdered peak milk (900g) costs $26. I think it is expensive ...for something that won't last more than 4 days in my house. I've heard so much about the liquid milk they have there. Are the really that flat and tasteless? Which grocery store milk options/substitute will you suggest?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kyrie2018: 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Klianud: 4:16pm On Apr 10, 2021
uyogabie:

Sorry,I just wanted to verify an address, that's all.Thanks

Please did you manage you confirm the address. Am also looking forward a place in Windsor, Ontario, close to the University of Windsor
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irijuola: 6:25pm On Apr 10, 2021
Klianud:

Please did you manage you confirm the address. Am also looking forward a place in Windsor, Ontario, close to the University of Windsor

When are you traveling?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Klianud: 6:36pm On Apr 10, 2021
irijuola:

When are you traveling?

In May.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 5:04am On Apr 11, 2021
egobetatoday:

Thank you NaijaCanadian28, 19CannyMum and Hayor2014 for the valuable information on naija food substitute. I'm so interested in this discussion and think it is relevant to the goal of this thread. Abeg, what suggestions do you have for milk. Going through YouTube Videos I discovered a small tin of powdered peak milk (900g) costs $26. I think it is expensive ...for something that won't last more than 4 days in my house. I've heard so much about the liquid milk they have there. Are the really that flat and tasteless? Which grocery store milk options/substitute will you suggest?

If you like evaporated milk, most grocery stores carry them and they are very affordable. My kids like the regular liquid milk in bags, I think they are ok too (I’m not really into dairy sha) but that’s the only milk they know since they were born here so I’m assuming they didn’t have a choice. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s an alternative to the powdered milk we take in Nigeria (except you buy the imported one in African store). The only powdered milk I have seen is skimmed milk.

Lest I forget, some Asian stores carry naija type of peak milk- it’s not that affordable but it’s not as expensive as the one you get in African store.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 6:00am On Apr 11, 2021
egobetatoday:

I use the regular liquid milk. I have no problem with it and if you have children it's better to get them adapted to it at home. For yourself as an agbalagba that might not be able to adapt to the change, buy evaporated milk. That's basically our liquid peak milk. It goes for around $1 and sometimes on sale for as low as $0.80. I've never seen it go bad even when opened and left in the fridge for over a week.

I really like the regular milk because you can make tea, oatmeal etc without adding water. Or pour in cereal and fire down. It's very creamy compared to powdered milk. Though I heard one time that the hormones fed the cows can cause children drinking the milk to blow up.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 6:03am On Apr 11, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

If you like evaporated milk, most grocery stores carry them and they are very affordable. My kids like the regular liquid milk in bags, I think they are ok too (I’m not really into dairy sha) but that’s the only milk they know since they were born here so I’m assuming they didn’t have a choice. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s an alternative to the powdered milk we take in Nigeria (except you buy the imported one in African store). The only powdered milk I have seen is skimmed milk.

Lest I forget, some Asian stores carry naija type of peak milk- it’s not that affordable but it’s not as expensive as the one you get in African store.

@egobetatoday the skimmed powered milk tastes horrible. Tastes even worse than dano skimmed milk in naija.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Preetiegirl: 1:19pm On Apr 11, 2021
Hello landed seniors, please can someone help with me with the best way to move funds from Nigeria to Canada. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Datevilme: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2021
damzy88:
Yes, there is.

Please I'm interested in joining.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2021
Preetiegirl:
Hello landed seniors, please can someone help with me with the best way to move funds from Nigeria to Canada. Thanks
convert your money to usd, deposit in dom account or come with the cash. Change it in the banks here at 1.29 to 1.31. Or come to Canada open and account. Look for people that want to transfer money home so you exchange ( this is stressful and lots of scammers out there). Option one is better

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2021
irijuola:
Hello all.
I need you help. I need to pay for my quarantine and Airbnb and I need someone in Canada who can pay for me. I'll just transfer the equivalent to you. Please help.
open a dom account biko

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 7:02pm On Apr 11, 2021
19CannyMum:

@egobetatoday the skimmed powered milk tastes horrible. Tastes even worse than dano skimmed milk in naija.

Ha! It is well oo..lol. I have never tried it but that’s the only one my mum takes anytime she visits and she seems to like it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 7:04pm On Apr 11, 2021
Preetiegirl:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lasignor(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2021
Lagbaja88:
convert your money to usd, deposit in dom account or come with the cash. Change it in the banks here at 1.29 to 1.31. Or come to Canada open and account. Look for people that want to transfer money home so you exchange ( this is stressful and lots of scammers out there). Option one is better
Can I wire the funds from my domiciliary account into my CAD account directly or I have to open a USD account in Canada? I feel carrying that much cash is not advisable. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 11, 2021
lasignor:
Can I wire the funds from my domiciliary account into my CAD account directly or I have to open a USD account in Canada? I feel carrying that much cash is not advisable. Thanks
depends on the source of the funds. If its cash usd deposit you can withdraw from atm here. 1000 cad per day. Ask you bank about latest rules for transfers. Before i left. You can only transfer from dom if you got the funds from transfer (not cash deposit).

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:44pm On Apr 11, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

Ha! It is well oo..lol. I have never tried it but that’s the only one my mum takes anytime she visits and she seems to like it.

My mum takes the 2% evaporated. She was unable to take the 0% evaporated that it was too tasteless cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lasignor(m): 8:46pm On Apr 11, 2021
Lagbaja88:
depends on the source of the funds. If its cash usd deposit you can withdraw from atm here. 1000 cad per day. Ask you bank about latest rules for transfers. Before i left. You can only transfer from dom if you got the funds from transfer (not cash deposit).
Yes, the funds were series of inflows, not cash deposit. If I get you correctly with regards to withdrawing from the ATM, means my dollar card will work on the ATMs in Canada? If that's the case, the transfer might not be needed. Was just worried that my card might not work there. 1k cad a day is more than good enough to get the cash out. I can live with the $3.50 bank charges per withdrawal if the ATM rate is favourable, that's only about $35 per every 10 withdrawals which is not bad considering the charges on wire transfer itself.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 1:32am On Apr 12, 2021
19CannyMum:

My mum takes the 2% evaporated. She was unable to take the 0% evaporated that it was too tasteless cheesy

Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 1:51am On Apr 12, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

Lol
Please can you link me up with telegram or WhatsApp group for Toronto Gta axis
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 1:54am On Apr 12, 2021
Roommate needed Mississauga or Brampton
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dcutey: 3:38am On Apr 12, 2021
Lagbaja88:

Please which bank(s) offer these rates?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 12, 2021
dcutey:

Please which bank(s) offer these rates?
rbc and co

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 4:48am On Apr 12, 2021
Fabguen:
Any inside knowledge of apartments for rent for a single guy around GTA Ontario or neighbouring areas. Or anyone looking to share.

Blessings. Male/Female all welcome.

Hello are you still looking to share?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fabguen: 11:47am On Apr 12, 2021
orobs93:

Hello are you still looking to share?

Chaii...if only I had met you back then. I've left the province entirely.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by egobetatoday: 12:57pm On Apr 12, 2021
19CannyMum:

19CannyMum and NaijaCanadian28, thank you for your contributions. God bless.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2021
Fabguen:

Chaii...if only I had met you back then. I've left the province entirely.

Why did you leave ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.