Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (500) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2184463 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
Are you sure what you have is a genuine Visa?
chakado1:
Good day, am coming to Canada by November or December for a visit but I intend not to come back to Nigeria anymore. Please I need someone in Toronto that can assist me to get accommodation and how to start the process of getting PR even if to look for women to marry in other to get my PR or any other means and I will pay the person before looking for work because what I have is visiting visa. I need advice from anyone in Canada that can advise me or assist me on this because Nigerian is no longer self. Thank you as I await your response

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ACSgrains1(m): 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2021
Good day all.
I just arrived Canada, Ontario precisely, quarantining in Toronto.
Do we have what’sapp group for Nigerians/Engineering students in Ontario?
How do I go about obtaining a SIM card, SIN and opening a bank account?
How /where can I look out for job opportunities?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 7:23pm On Sep 04, 2021
oluayebenz:

Babes in Canada are something else.....

Once they noticed you don't have resident permit, they japa with full force cheesy cheesy grin grin

I tell you.., dem go just tag you persona non grata … Abort mission. Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2021
Hi guys, pls is there any other official way of renewing a drivers license and drivers extract from Nigeria? I have sent two mails to the email address put up earlier by @lagbaja88 but did not get any response.

Would have just used the Nigerian Embassy here but they cannot renew a driver's license.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 04, 2021
ACSgrains1:
Good day all.

there are a lot of videos on YouTube by Nigerians covering all you listed. Just search
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2021
maziude:

I tell you.., dem go just tag you persona non grata … Abort mission. Lol

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 9:50pm On Sep 04, 2021
Lagbaja88:
the consequences no be here.and some 9ja guys don deal with them in the past too lol

Honestly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 04, 2021
seunpinky:
Hi guys, pls is there any other official way of renewing a drivers license and drivers extract from Nigeria? I have sent two mails to the email address put up earlier by @lagbaja88 but did not get any response.

Would have just used the Nigerian Embassy here but they cannot renew a driver's license.
renew driver’s license for They accept expired licence for G1 to G test. For the extract you can try the embassy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 04, 2021
Air show Toronto downtown

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2021
Lagbaja88:
renew driver’s license for They accept expired licence for G1 to G test. For the extract you can try the embassy
Really, my wife said she was told that she needs to renew the license in other to claim years of experience. We both wrote and passed our G1 today, so we intend to get our extracts to enable us skip G2

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 04, 2021
seunpinky:

Really, my wife said she was told that she needs to renew the license in other to claim years of experience. We both wrote and passed our G1 today, so we intend to get our extracts to enable us skip G2
i used my expired license, i came during Covid last year and it has expired. You can go back there and see another of the agent. Common with government workers here, 2 people in same office will say different things

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunpinky(m): 11:19pm On Sep 04, 2021
Lagbaja88:
i used my expired license, i came during Covid last year and it has expired. You can go back there and see another of the agent. Common with government workers here, 2 people in same office will say different things
Thanks for the information.. would start processing the extract on Tuesday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 1:08am On Sep 05, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Olanzofjanze: 8:23am On Sep 06, 2021
Good day Everyone,
I'm new in canada, I just came in Vancouver some months ago
I would like to join the naija WhatsApp group to get to know people in the community and to make my stay in Vancouver smooth
Can anyone help with the WhatsApp number?
I would also appreciate to join any other groups that might be of help to me
Thanks so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Olanzofjanze: 8:26am On Sep 06, 2021
Good day Everyone,
I'm new in canada, I just came in Vancouver some months ago
I would like to join the naija WhatsApp group to get to know people in the community and to make my stay in Vancouver smooth
Can anyone help with the WhatsApp number?
I would also appreciate to join any other groups that might be of help to me
Thanks so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by justjify(m): 11:59am On Sep 06, 2021
chakado1:
Good day, am coming to Canada by November or December for a visit but I intend not to come back to Nigeria anymore. Please I need someone in Toronto that can assist me to get accommodation and how to start the process of getting PR even if to look for women to marry in other to get my PR or any other means and I will pay the person before looking for work because what I have is visiting visa. I need advice from anyone in Canada that can advise me or assist me on this because Nigerian is no longer self. Thank you as I await your response
This is wrong. you are part of the people painting Nigeria bad abroad. Why do you want to cut corners? If you are deported tomorrow, you'll say the Canadian government are wicked. Oga, have a rethink

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by justjify(m): 12:02pm On Sep 06, 2021
Goldenheart002:

Weyrey re ooh
Werey gidi

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hereandnow65: 4:04am On Sep 07, 2021
SunshineD1:
Hello dear Landed Seniors,
Anyone in Brandon, Manitoba? I'm yet to see/read any relevant information on Brandon from a Nigerian immigrant living there. It'll be great to read about jobs, housing, transportation, schools, childcare/daycare, where to get Naija food stuff and any other relevant information the responder is willing to put out.
Thanks
Is this information still needed?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 7:36am On Sep 07, 2021
Hey guys!

Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend. Here is a little update on the real estate market.

MARKET UPDATE

We are still in a seller’s market which is characterized by bidding wars, multiple offers, houses selling really quick and over asking price.

Summer market always slow down a little and this year was no different. For the first time in 18 months people were free to do activities they enjoy (e.g., travel) and spent less time house hunting.

As we transition into the fall market, outlook report indicates that the market will shift back to a busy seller’s market!

What this means for SELLERS:
It is a phenomenal time to list your home as inventory is still low and most houses are selling in a couple of days on the market.

What this means for BUYERS:
This is a great time to buy as interest rate are historically low 2.5% and lower in over a decade.

If you have any questions or are looking to buy, sell or invest feel free to reach out and I’d be happy to help �.

The image shows sale and average price by home type in Toronto and the GTA.
416 means Toronto
905 means Rest of the GTA

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yourwpgpaddy: 2:32pm On Sep 07, 2021
New Immigrants coming to Winnipeg??

Connect with us....we are just trying to make new friends, help as much as we can (for a small token sha grin grin).

Feel free to connect.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kezee123(m): 3:31pm On Sep 07, 2021
jannlimmo:
Hello guys please any WhatsApp or Telegram group for Ontario students especially Nigerian students in Brampton.

Hi, currently in Manitoba now but will be in Brampton before the month ends
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hi all,
Just wanted to put it out here that people especially new comers be very careful with job search and always research every organization that contacts you for credibility even if they look very credible. There is an ongoing scam by a staged group called Steag-GmbH (Steag-GmbH group is actually a legitimate German Coy), however someone will send a text message to you informing you they got your details from www.indeed.com and they need to interview you immediately for a customer service rep role and you should add a contact on zoom for the interview process and training. After which the contact interviews you, these process lasts from over 45 mins, with real interview type questions (the red flag however is that the interview is not done via zoom video but chat/IM on zoom). After the rounds of questions, you are requested to stay online for a decision to be made on your responses, they go through the process of informing you have performed well and have been employed and list all benefits, however your employment contract and other documentation will be emailed to you. This is where the interesting bit starts;
With no signed contract or any legitimate thing to show, the interviewer goes on to tell you they need to send you a check/direct debit to facilitate procurement of your work tools (computer, printer/scanner, time tracker and other hardware) from their accredited retailers in the USA which will come branded as the HQ of the company is based in Germany therefore you have to facilitate procurement process by yourself. If you opt for check, they request your full address to send the check and inform this will be delivered via UPS/DHL courier, they will not deliver to PO Boxes but require your full address. Or they may ask if you want the check to be emailed to you, which you will use your mobile banking app to scan and clear the payment into your bank account.
The problem with this however, once this so called check is cleared (most times it may not clear with the banks, but since it is a game of numbers a few actually do go through), you account is debited of the check amount (which could be upward of $3,000, if you do not have the cash in to this amount, your overdraft is affected or any line of credit attached to your account). The transaction is not traceable and unfortunately, the banks can not do anything about this in terms of refund.
A few safety tips (my suggestions)
- Make your indeed (other job boards) profile private as much as you can, in this way not everyone tom, dick and harry has access to your personal details
- If you must follow through with any employer who cold contacts you (calls, texts) do your due diligence and research very properly
- Google search the name of any person that contacts you for a job (I will be wary if I do not find the name of contact person linking them to such an organization on linkedin)
- Google search the said organization (even if they do not have a broad online presence, at least in this age and time, they will have one entry on google. Also check vacancy sections of the organization if such job is currently advertised)
- Do not provide any personal information (SIN, bank details etc) when you have not signed a legal employment contact
- Be your brothers/sisters keepers, if you notice any fraudulent activities, say something so others do not fall prey
- If you however do go ahead with anyof this unknowingly, anything checks, direct debit etc that needs to go through you account, contact your bank immediately for advice. IF you take the checks to the bank, you will be advised accordingly
Job scams abound everywhere, do not be so desperate and get defrauded in the process. People have been blacklisted for things they had absolutely no idea about.

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by shege45: 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
ACSgrains1:
Good day all.

Just google
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gmcb: 7:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
ACSgrains1:
Good day all.

Hi ACSgrans1

Welcome to Canada!. To answer some of your questions. I am also an internationally trained engineer like you and have lots of questions as a newly landed immigrant. What I did to connect with other engineers was to join "Community of Black Engineers of Canada" on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13889829/) founded by a Nigerian connecting everyone who identifies as a Black engineer from different parts of the world. From time to time different job opportunities are posted on their LinkedIn page and you know how important networking is in Canada. I saw an event coming up in a couple of days which you my benefit from. I will attach the flyer here. Feel free to connect with any member of the community in same area of specialization. I learnt there's a program coming up with job placement to fast track getting licensed in Ontario as an Engineer

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Doree: 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2021
Good day all.

Please, for newly arrived travellers, will a quarantine plan for a shared bathroom/toilet though an entire room to myself be accepted?
One other person uses the other room, although he is fully vaccinated and is not a vulnerable person.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 5:56pm On Sep 08, 2021
Doree:
Good day all.

Please, for newly arrived travellers, will a quarantine plan for a shared bathroom/toilet though an entire room to myself be accepted?
One other person uses the other room, although he is fully vaccinated and is not a vulnerable person.
These are questions you must have been required to answer when you filled your details in the ArriveCAN app. That'll tell you if it's acceptable or not.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mconcept: 6:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
I will appreciate if I can connect to seniors living in Ontario or students of Conestogoa college .

I will be landing in Canada by December against January intake .

Please add me to any networking group , WhatsApp group etc.

Help a Sister
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by graceyajayi(f): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
1. She needs 10 days quarantine plan in a location where she will have a room and bathroom to herself.

2. 2k hotel plan is no longer a requirement

3. No information

But generally, she can still get the second vaccine now to be exempted (she can only be exempted if she has taken the second doze at least 14 days before travelling). The Astrazeneca vaccine is available in osun state.

[2quote author=titusincanada post=105234268]SHE NEED HELP, SHE IS TRAVELLING TO VANCOUVER AS A STUDENT

1. Good Evening Guys, Please a sister need your help. She is travelling to Vancouver by the end of September on study visa but has not been Vaccinated. Please, in a situation that she is not Vaccinated for the Second dose before travelling, What do you think she should do?

2. Are students still required to pay the $2k for the Quarantine plan?

3. Lastly, She need an appartment(either to share) pending the time she would get settled and get a desired accomodation few days after landing.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Doree: 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2021
CountVersailles:

These are questions you must have been required to answer when you filled your details in the ArriveCAN app. That'll tell you if it's acceptable or not.

I'm still making my arrangements and will fill the ArriveCan when the time is right. Thank you.

That being said, can the newly arrived travellers who have an experience with the requirements throw light on my question please?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2021
Doree:

I'm still making my arrangements and will fill the ArriveCan when the time is right. Thank you.

That being said, can the newly arrived travellers who have an experience with the requirements throw light on my question please?

Typically, you are not supposed to share any facilities during your quarantine period. You should be completely by yourself. In fact, last I heard, you are only entitled to maybe 15 mins or so outside your room each day.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drowos: 9:43pm On Sep 08, 2021
Is anyone coming to Calgary and willing to live in the NE quadrant of the City? Precisely Livingston and Coventry on a 1 year lease.
There is a basement legal suite (Livingston) and a town house of 2 bedrooms and a Den (Coventry Hills) available at the end of the month of September. In Livingston you will be living me with me, in Coventry hills, you will be taking over my last home. If interested in either, do contact me. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by owee: 10:51pm On Sep 08, 2021
Hello Guys,

Traveling to Ca this month to start my post graduate program. What permissible food items would you guys advise I carry along given your experience? Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Doctorfitz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.